PDA

View Full Version : Target Lava Vader In Hand!!!!

Scackmgack
03-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, seems like someone in the brand-new (open less than two weeks) Target near me didn't read their directions...while scoping the toy aisles as the wife shopped for some rinse for her hair, what did I see, but three pegs' worth of the Target-exclusive Lava Vader figures.

I almost walked right past them, as they were pegged above those Playschool adventure figures, or whatever they are called, but then I did a double-take and turned around and said "Wait, those can't be..."

Indeed, the exclusive Vader figure, they were.

The Target exclusive Vader does come in a clamshell case similar to the VOTC figures, with the sole exception that the molded symbols inside the upper-left and upper-right-hand corners aren't the Rebel and Imperial sigils, but some shuriken-looking design I haven't seen yet on any other ROTS merchandise or advertisements.

There is a sticker on the front that reads "Exclusive Collectors Edition, 1 of 50,000." The front of the figure card, to the left of the "Star Wars Revenge of the Sith" icon, says "Target Exclusive."

The picture on the card front, to the right of the figure, is the same picture as the "Darth Vader Lightsaber Attack" regular ROTS figure, but with the red lava glow added.

While the dimensions of the figure are not as grossly-disproportionate as the POTF2 figs, the mold does bear a striking resemblance, in my mind, to the very first Vader released in that line, sans the "lava" effects of course.

The back of the card is a picture of Vader with lightsaber ignited at waist-level in right hand and left hand raised up in a clutching gesture, and the lava rising up behind him. The top reads:

"Darth Vader

Lured by promises of unlimited power,
Anakin gives up everyone and everything he cares about and falls to the Dark Side of the Force.
Encased in black armor that will come to strike fear throughout the galaxy,
he is no longer Anakin Skywalker - he is now Darth Vader."

The back of the clamshell case has a raised "Star Wars Revenge of the Sith" logo just like you'll see on the poster displays, in the classic font and presentation.

I'll be following this post up with pictures as soon as I can, but I wanted to get this posted up quick as I was excited.

stillakid
03-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Um, did you grab me one? :sur: I'm good for it, plus shipping! :D

Beast
03-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Um, did you grab me one? :sur: I'm good for it, plus shipping! :D
Ditto. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Slicker
03-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Nice find!! I bet the people that go there on April 2nd to get there ticket are gonna be ****ed off.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-26-2005, 05:34 PM
How much was it? Did they just charge the regular figure price, or was it $13?

Scackmgack
03-26-2005, 05:58 PM
It was $7.49 per figure. Now, this makes me wonder: is this going to be the going rate for all Star Wars figures at Target for the future?

If so, those $1 off coupons really don't mean a darned thing. Wal-Mart was selling the Preview figs for $5.88, which would be the best deal going around here, anyway.

A few of these are showing up on EBay already. I am assuming that we're either looking at Target employees grabbing them for auction or other stores putting them out before they are supposed to.

One of the auctions is up to $101, but I think there might be some schill bidding going on.

I have to re-size my pics so I can upload them, but they ARE coming. :)

Also, I saw a Lego ARC-150 Starfighter and Clone Turbo Tank on sale, as well.

Scackmgack
03-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Here they are...

Ji'dai
03-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Looks pretty neat. Too bad there isn't a Target locally or I might consider going after one of these. I'm surprised Hasbro isn't selling these ROTS plastic cases in packs of five or ten, they could make a killing.

evenflow
03-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Man nice find, you should have bought them all, I am sure we here would have gladly taken them off your hands.

stillakid
03-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Man nice find, you should have bought them all, I am sure we here would have gladly taken them off your hands.

With the standard 10% SSG Member discount, of course. ;)

Turbowars
03-26-2005, 09:10 PM
I have 2 questions? It it POTF2 Vader ( Golds Gym Version) and is it Vac Metal or red paint?

ndjedi
03-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Here they are...

LUCKY!

I wish our Target would do the same!

Has anyone else gotten that $1.00 coupon in the mail yet from Target? I hope that I get one this week.

Scackmgack
03-26-2005, 09:58 PM
It is definately NOT a POTF2 Vader. This one has not been on the 'roids.

It is red paint, not vac metal.

Turbowars
03-26-2005, 10:25 PM
It is definately NOT a POTF2 Vader. This one has not been on the 'roids.

It is red paint, not vac metal.So which is he? Man, I thought at least he would be Vac Metal.:bored:

JEDIpartner
03-26-2005, 11:10 PM
I dunno... it still looks stupid to me. *shrug*

vadersvette
03-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Man, get me one! I'll give you all I got! I'll even throw in my tie and my shoes!---all for an action figure :neutral:

Kidhuman
03-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Man very nice. You are lucky, but 7.49 isnt a bad price. Since Iam only going for that one specific figure. Thanks for the pic.

Bossk77
03-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Nice find!! I bet the people that go there on April 2nd to get there ticket are gonna be ****ed off.
I kinda want to be there with my camcorder to get the aftermath on tape. :)

Sidiously Darth
03-27-2005, 02:44 AM
Nice find! You're one of the lucky few. I wish you would have thought more of your fellow SSGer's who have no access to a Target before you put it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5965968985&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

But I digress, it is your figure. Enjoy the profits of your spoils.

vemnox
03-27-2005, 02:56 AM
Awesome; thanks so much for posting!

plasticfetish
03-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Nice find! You're one of the lucky few. I wish you would have thought more of your fellow SSGer's who have no access to a Target before you put it on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5965968985&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
But I digress, it is your figure. Enjoy the profits of your spoils.Ouch! :speech:

sith_killer_99
03-27-2005, 08:32 AM
T, this figure is supposed to be an all new sculpt.

Nice score on the Lava Vader. I'm just glad you don't live in the Kentucky area. :D On a side note, I kinda laughed at the end date for the auction. If you figure the time it will take to box it up and ship it off after payment has been made whoever wins, probably won't get it until April 2nd or so. Take into account that the post office delivers in the afternoon and this guy will probably be one of the last to get a Lava Vader. LOL

But seriously, at least whoever wins won't have to get up early to buy the darn thing.

Turbowars
03-27-2005, 10:58 AM

But I digress, it is your figure. Enjoy the profits of your spoils.Yeah, what a punk. You should had taken a new pic so us sensitive collectors wouldn't get all bent. We don't take kindly to this activity, scalping activity I should say. :ermm:

Ji'dai
03-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I've never scalped stuff but I'm not going to give you any guff for doing it. Exclusives breed this kind of thing, it's their nature. Short supply, limited venue, high demand. Another reason I don't like them. Hasbro ****ing on their customer base once again.

Darthmarc
03-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Here they are...

You're a lucky dude. I bet you I'll be buying this off of Ebay because of scumbag scalpers...

bobafrett
03-27-2005, 02:43 PM
You're a lucky dude. I bet you I'll be buying this off of Ebay because of scumbag scalpers...

Check out the Target sweepstakes thread. There is a lkink there in which you can enter a sweepstakes to win one of 5 of the Lava Vaders. I know the chances are slim, but better than none at all.

Scackmgack
03-27-2005, 05:58 PM
To all those complaining that I am selling these online:

1) Singing sour grapes is always out of tune. :P
2) You can bid on EBay, too, can't you? Now you even have a link to follow someone kindly provided. :)
3) Selling on EBay IS offering them to people who don't have access to a Target. I have multiple people from the U.K. bidding on these. Were YOU going to offer them yours?

Seriously, leaving these on the pegs would have been colossally stupid. Some scalper/store owner would have gotten to them and starting selling them for $225.00 a pop on EBay like someone already is. I started mine at $19.99 and ran them for 3 days, not 7. I could be getting a LOT more for these if I wanted to.

Besides, if you had a choice between running up a serious bill on your credit card or having a lean couple of months in order to be able to afford your Episode III collection, or paying for the Episode III stuff with the sale of these Target Vaders you were blessed to see on the pegs early, which would you do?

If I were a rich man, I'd give them away for cost. Not being a rich man, and having $400-$500 worth of Star Wars purchases on the horizon, I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'd be very, very surprised if anyone else hadn't done likewise.

As far as sensitive collections getting bent out of shape goes, I feel you. I had to get my Ralph McQuarrie stormtroopers and clean OTC Scout Troopers online for some ridiculous price because I could never beat the scalpers to the
new shipments. This is just part of collecting. What can I tell you. *shrug*

DarthChuckMc
03-27-2005, 07:40 PM
...and I'm a Target employee...and I COULD buy all 36-48 that my store will be receiving...giving NO ONE a chance to buy it at retail, but you know what......I'm not a dick.

Greed is greed....don't try to justify it by saying "Some other store owner would have, or some scalper."

You ARE some scalper.

You don't HAVE to spend $500 in the next coming week on SW toys, you CHOOSE to......

....and the ONLY reason this is "part of collecting" is because of people JUST LIKE YOU. If you'd leave stuff on pegs, you wouldn't create a false market and drive prices through the roof on eBay to begin with.

Beast
03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Bingo. Collect to Collect. Sorry guy, but I'm going to agree with everyone else that you're attempts to justify your scalping is bull. But if it helps you sleep easier at night, go ahead. Just don't expect anyone to respect you for ripping off your fellow collectors. It wouldn't be a 'part of collecting' if greedy scalpers didn't exist. Forcing fans to have to depend on the secondary market to actually get what we want. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

garbognar
03-27-2005, 08:17 PM
I personally will have nothing to do with scalpers. I have quite a few holes in my collection because of that, and I prefer that to being shafted for something that someone plans to make a big profit on. I figure if more and more collectors refuse to pay those ridiculous prices, then there will be a lot of schmucks stuck with figures that are only worth ... heaven forbid... RETAIL PRICE! I cannot understand people who collect with plans to sell their stuff off. I collect because I love the hobby and would sooner sell organs than my collection. Scalpers are, hands down, my least favorite part of collecting.

BTW That lava Vader is pretty cool.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Do you realize that now you'll likely not get one, as your store already probably sold out of them? I can kind of sympathize with wanting to help out people in other countries . . . but there are quite a few fine fellows on here from around the globe that would love to get one. You could've offered them one.

Anyway . . . isn't this the same sculpt as the Flashback Photo Vader? It's the one they also used for Silver Vader . . . but you probably don't remember what that looks like, as I bet you sold it on eBay . . .

bobafrett
03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
To all those complaining that I am selling these online:

Hey, I didn't know you were selling these online. Too Bad. I won't be bidding on them. In the past I have come across figures that were hard to find, and I didn't buy up all of them just so I could sell some later. I bought one to keep carded, and if I liked the figure enough, I would buy one to open. Even when my Wal-Mart had marked down the old figures to $1.00, and a new shipment of figs came in, and also rang in at $1.00 I also didn't buy up every last one, and turn around and sell them for scalpers prices.

Many of the collectors here on the SSG board have come through for me, and haven't charged me any more than retail for figures that I couldn't find. Ephant Mon is a prime example, I never saw him at retail, another poster here at SSG saw my need, had an extra and sold it to me for what he paid, plus shipping. Now that was a great gesture :D , and I will never forget that. So go make your money on your Lava Vader :greedy: , I will deal with the good folks here at SSG, but not you sir.

Turbowars
03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah what ever bro. You have labeled yourself a Scalper in this collecting community. This site isn't about making $, it about people enjoying the hobby. We trade and sell at retail prices around here, it might be a good idea for you to keep your scalping practices on the down low. I hope you are now able to pay your rent.;)

Turbowars
03-27-2005, 08:54 PM
isn't this the same sculpt as the Flashback Photo Vader? It's the one they also used for Silver Vader . . . but you probably don't remember what that looks like, as I bet you sold it on eBay . . .Yeah John you are correct. I just looked at my TF Silver Vader and it looks to be it.

Clonetrooper630
03-27-2005, 08:59 PM
If you wanted to provide help for people that have no access to the figures do what Mina Solo is doing make people happy without wanting anything in return It is sad that you of all people came accross the figures:bored:
Scalpers should be banned from this site.... just my two cents

Turbowars
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah it would be a good idea. Hey JT how about a new rule to put it the books.

Thou shall not scalp.;)

Clonetrooper630
03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Let's all have a vote on that "new Rule":crazed:

sith_killer_99
03-27-2005, 09:22 PM
This is indeed an old debate.

First of all let's define "scalper" for a moment.

IMO, a scalper is someone who buys figures from a retailer with the intent of selling them at inflated prices, thus denying collectors and kids the opportunity to buy them at fair market value. This is why I do not consider Brian's to be a scapler. Their prices are high, but that's because they buy in serious bulk direct from Hasbro and have their stuff shipped direct from Hong Kong, which increases their overhead, but reduces their distribution time allowing them to be the first to market. Their prices are through the roof, but hey, that's the price you pay to be the first kid on the block with the latest greatest SW toys.

I have sold stuff on Ebay, mostly old trade bait that I never could get rid of. In a more recent case I decided to abandon army building from the PT and sold off a large collection of Clone Troopers, but only after posting them for trade on a few sites. I started all my bidding at 99 cents and let it go from there. But most of the stuff I got rid of was relatively easy to find to begin with. Ebay was a last resort to clear out my old stuff to make room for new stuff.

On the flip side I have always tried to help folks obtain stuff they couldn't find or get at cost, perferably trade straight across. I have already worked out deals with a few people here for C3 Vader's AT COST (plus shipping). I am fortunate enough to be able to go this year so I decided to help a few collectors. I could have said NO, I could have told them I needed extra money to cover my time and expenses, or justified it some other way, but that would be pretty low.

plasticfetish
03-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Besides, if you had a choice between running up a serious bill on your credit card or having a lean couple of months in order to be able to afford your Episode III collection, or paying for the Episode III stuff with the sale of these Target Vaders you were blessed to see on the pegs early, which would you do?you know, I'm not gonna rag on you for selling on eBay. Fact is... I've sold stuff there for years. Usually it begins with me looking at my toy collection and saying, "Whoa! Where did all of this cr** come from? I've gotta thin this down a bit." Sure, I want to try and make some money -- compensate myself for the time and money that I've spent collecting -- but since I do this for fun, mostly I just want to find a decent home for anything that I'm selling. Not to say that those people bidding on your auction aren't going to be thrilled to have this figure, but suddenly it becomes more of a money thing than a hobby thing.

If you're so worried about spending too much money, then perhaps a little moderation is in order. Maybe you shouldn't spend the money you don't have... right now. This goes for everyone here. There's not going to be a shortage on this stuff, even for the store exclusives. If scalpers (and I can tell you're not really a scalper Scackmgack) want to buy up piles of ROTS toys, then let them. We can all be patient and let them sit on this stuff for years until they decide they don't want to be storing it anymore... and then we buy it for cost (or less.)

Now's a good time for everyone to start remembering their "collectors manners." Truth be told, I haven't really sold anything on eBay in ages, because now I figure that I can ask around here if anyone wants to trade. (To me eBay's not evil, it's just a pain-in-the-a**.)

Turbowars
03-27-2005, 09:54 PM
In the end of this BS Target is ultimately to blame here.

Scackmgack, I hope you will be at the Target you bought the Vaders from on the April 2nd to explain why there isn't enough figures to go around. I'm sure all the people that waited outside for hours will understand and applaud you.

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2005, 09:56 PM
In the end of this BS Target is ultimately to blame here.

Scackmgack, I hope you will be at the Target you bought the Vaders from on the April 2nd to explain why there isn't enough figures to go around. I'm sure all the people that waited outside for hours will understand and applaud you.

That is definately where the crowd control policy would come into play.

Val Da Car
03-27-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree!

about the Target screwing up not the crowd control policy.

Kidhuman
03-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Okay fellas. We all get the point. He did a horrid thing and scalped the figure. I think he has gotten the point. Lets tone it down

Clonetrooper630
03-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok We'll behave:speech:

Turbowars
03-27-2005, 11:33 PM
The auctions are still up, so I don't think he has.:evil: ;)

Scackmgack
03-27-2005, 11:36 PM
I understand that some of you are upset, because you feel this is unfair and I found something I should not have taken advantage of, but honestly, how many of you would have seen these figures on the pegs, gone and gotten the Manager of the Target and said,

"Sir (or ma'am), these figures are not supposed to be on the shelves right now. They are supposed to be offered to collectors on the morning of April 2nd when you pass out coupons to get these. So, could you please take these off the shelves, put them in a box, and keep them in the back until this weekend? Thank you."

Or, is it more likely you would have done precisely what I did, grabbed one for you, and grabbed some others as well? Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't have - you don't know what you would have done unless you were there, and you weren't. And stories about Ephant Mon or other rare figures just don't compare to something like this.

Now, if someone offers you nine C3 Vaders and you turn them down, knowing darn well someone else is going to get them and sell them, I'd love to hear that story.

Let's get down to brass tacks - the "crime" you are trying me for is not getting more than one of these, but putting them on EBay - but from the point of view of a true collector, the "crime" is getting more than one, PERIOD, thus preventing anyone else from getting those extras I bought.

The people complaining on here wouldn't be complaining if I had bought these and then offered them to SSG posters for cost - in essence, you would be perfectly fine with advocating the "crime" as long as it meant people on here got access to these as a result.

Of course, then those people would have to have gone down to that Target right along with me on Saturday to explain why X number of you had Lava Target Vaders and some of the collectors there didn't, though I seriously doubt collectors are going to be at this Target. We have many, many more scalpers than collectors where I live, which I know from long experience (which is the main reason I don't feel bad about this one whit - I could almost tell you who would have bought these if I had not, and what they would have charged for them).

Stop acting like I'm withholding the cure for AIDS from Third World countries because they cannot afford to pay up. Someone at Target screwed up and I took advantage before someone else would - AND SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. If you don't know that for truth, you haven't been a Star Wars collector for very long. :)

I didn't plan on making this much money off these figures when I bought them - I figured I would get $20 apiece and that would be it. You're acting like I twirled my handlebar moustache and laughed evilly when I saw the figures on the pegs and pictured rolling around on a bed throwing piles of cash around!

Put away the melodrama and stop calling me a scalper. Scalpers do this for a living. I stumbled into this once and got very, very lucky. The only difference between what I am doing and what some of you would do is I am selling them to anyone who wants them, not just offering them to people on SSG.

Kidhuman
03-28-2005, 12:00 AM
I understand that some of you are upset, because you feel this is unfair and I found something I should not have taken advantage of, but honestly, how many of you would have seen these figures on the pegs, gone and gotten the Manager of the Target and said,

"Sir (or ma'am), these figures are not supposed to be on the shelves right now. They are supposed to be offered to collectors on the morning of April 2nd when you pass out coupons to get these. So, could you please take these off the shelves, put them in a box, and keep them in the back until this weekend? Thank you."

I would have. My friend is the store manager at Target. And it wouldnt be fair to the rest of us either in the area that collect and miss thre chance to get one. Plus it would have assured me to get one on SATURDAY 4/2 when they are released.

Or, is it more likely you would have done precisely what I did, grabbed one for you, and grabbed some others as well? Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't have - you don't know what you would have done unless you were there, and you weren't. And stories about Ephant Mon or other rare figures just don't compare to something like this.

See above ^^^

Now, if someone offers you nine C3 Vaders and you turn them down, knowing darn well someone else is going to get them and sell them, I'd love to hear that story.

If they were starting out at 20 buycks a pop,Ill take my chances on 4/2

Let's get down to brass tacks - the "crime" you are trying me for is not getting more than one of these, but putting them on EBay - but from the point of view of a true collector, the "crime" is getting more than one, PERIOD, thus preventing anyone else from getting those extras I bought.

No, if you would have charged a BIN for cost and ebay fees, I dont think anyone would be complaining. If you offered them here for cost plus shipping, we wouldnt be irked. Its the fact that you are scalping these. If it was for the overseas people who cant get em, your auction would not say will ship to Americas. That includes the U.S.

The people complaining on here wouldn't be complaining if I had bought these and then offered them to SSG posters for cost - in essence, you would be perfectly fine with advocating the "crime" as long as it meant people on here got access to these as a result.

The only crime here is greed. And its not a crime, its a sin

Of course, then those people would have to have gone down to that Target right along with me on Saturday to explain why X number of you had Lava Target Vaders and some of the collectors there didn't, though I seriously doubt collectors are going to be at this Target. We have many, many more scalpers than collectors where I live, which I know from long experience (which is the main reason I don't feel bad about this one whit - I could almost tell you who would have bought these if I had not, and what they would have charged for them).

2 wrongs dont make a right.

Stop acting like I'm withholding the cure for AIDS from Third World countries because they cannot afford to pay up. Someone at Target screwed up and I took advantage before someone else would - AND SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. If you don't know that for truth, you haven't been a Star Wars collector for very long. :)

See above. ^^^

I didn't plan on making this much money off these figures when I bought them - I figured I would get $20 apiece and that would be it. You're acting like I twirled my handlebar moustache and laughed evilly when I saw the figures on the pegs and pictured rolling around on a bed throwing piles of cash around!

Ignorance is no excuse. You are scalping them. If it was only pleasure to other fns, you would have done a BIN for cost.

Put away the melodrama and stop calling me a scalper. Scalpers do this for a living. I stumbled into this once and got very, very lucky. The only difference between what I am doing and what some of you would do is I am selling them to anyone who wants them, not just offering them to people on SSG.

Everyone tries the get rich quick scheme once..

Turbowars
03-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Tone it down he says, LOL:beard: ;) RS isn't very happy about it either.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Alright, this thread has gone on for long enough. Some may agree/disagree with what is going on, but surely complaining about it on the boards won't help matters. If somebody decides to sell stuff on e-bay, its' their business. If you want a Lava Vader, get in in line at the butt crack of dawn on saturday like myself and a lot of other folks are. Enough with this jargon. The Lava Vader has been found and is out.

Thread closed.

Clonetrooper630
03-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Scackmgack Idid come accross a find like yours and did fight with the mananager for the right to purchase the figures wich i did and as a regular collector I did the first thing that came to mind, brag about it and post it in this site, not on E-bay. you can slice it any way you like the truth is that you are scalping a hot figure and that makes it scalping. just like killing one person make him/her a killer. It only takes one time for the label to stick