PDA

View Full Version : MTV - where did the music go?

JediTricks
01-06-2002, 06:30 AM
Ok, I know this isn't a new topic, but come ON! This is ridiculous, how can all this programming somehow fit with the "MTV" concept that started the whole thing? The idea that these shows - many of which having NO real connection to music videos at all - are created for "the music video generation" is crap on a cracker, the modern music video has been around long before the '80s... there were plenty of bands that did what we think of as the standard "music video" (3 minutes give or take of just something to look at while you listen to the music), look at "The Monkeys", 30 minutes that were basically a sitcom surrounding 2 or 3 videos. Damnit, I'm sick of 99% of the crap on MTV, I don't wanna have to check the TV guide to find out when videos are on, especially only to find out that the videos are 90% hip hop crap that I couldn't care less about. GAH!!!

Rollo Tomassi
01-06-2002, 06:59 AM
The Answer you seek is the new MTV2 station which, except for the occasional news snippet by that anoying fat guy, plays non stop videos. I agree that the original station pretty much blows it in the video department. But i've thought that for about ten years now...Man, Real World eats it. Can you say "staged"?

JediTricks
01-06-2002, 07:13 AM
Ah yes, M2, the channel that, for much of America, DOESN'T EXIST!!! Notice how they didn't exile their substandard-quality non-music-video drivel on that station, a station which far less than half the cablers even carry, NOOOOOOOOOOOO, that'd be generous! No, instead, if you want videos and you've got cable, you either have to beg your cable company for years to get the station of the damned, or simply visit VH1, which is the equivalent of shooting one's self in the face with shotgun blanks. No, I take that back, I can see some blank-stared teenagers getting some beavis-esque pleasure out of that activity, whereas VH1's motto appears to be "taking the fun out of music videos for over 15 years" - I mean, I enjoy a raunchy, totally-inaccurate "Behind the Music" once in a while, and Pop-Up Videos is entertaining half the time, but so much of their programming (which, to be fair, unlike their sister channel MTV, are primarily based directly around music videos or at least the music that fuels the videos) takes all the life out of the music video genre, reducing it to the most boring people talking about the most boring aspects of music.

evenflow
01-06-2002, 08:39 AM
I have to agree that MTV sucks. It stopped being music television along time ago. All they have now are shows, and even worse shows about shows. MTV2 is much better. I wish i had digital cable because then there are about 20 different versions of MTV, I wish I had MTV X.

Man In The Box
01-06-2002, 08:53 AM
Over in on the Germany music videos still exist on MTV which makes up for me not understanding much German. It's gone down hill a lil. We used to have this show called Sushi which showed all rock vids. And I dont mean the crap that gets played out anyway, but stuff that is otherwise non existant anyother time of the day on MTV. I have like 3 or 4 whole tapes that just mostly vids from that show.

LTBasker
01-06-2002, 10:11 AM
MTV doesn't care about music and they just use the videos time and the whole generation crud so they can stay untouched and on the air so they have their sex shows and basically they stretch the limit on nudity and such to boost ratings for the "video (aka: puberty) generation." VH1 usually has some of the better videos on while MTV plays anything that will get them ratings. MTV2 is ok, but usually plays those lesser known really lame song videos that no one wants to watch.

"Tv killed the radio star" and greed killed the MTV.

2-1B
01-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Not only has MTV become nonmusical, they absolutely delight in it!

I caught their 20th anniversary show, and they boastfully chronicled their transformation from a music channel to a "lifestyle channel". :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

derek
01-06-2002, 12:38 PM
get a satellite. most places sell them really cheap, and the programing cost is equal to cable, but with a better picture. i have a direct tv satellite and have been very pleased with it. we just got all our local channels added like "upn" and the "wb". so now i can watch superboy and buffy.

maybe if you hold out long enough, you'll win one.:) {see jeditricks PS2 thread in videogames}

AreTwo-DeeTwo
01-06-2002, 05:42 PM
Ha! Ha! The only time I ever see MTV playing videos is during that TRL show with Carson Daly. Before I went to the New Year's festivities me and my date turned it to MTV and lo and behold they were actually showing videos! I could not believe it. I think it was some sort of year end countdown type thing. We were both remarking about this subject. Anyway I have zero to add to this so I will quit typing about it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
The Answer you seek is the new MTV2 station which, except for the occasional news snippet by that anoying fat guy, plays non stop videos. I agree that the original station pretty much blows it in the video department. But i've thought that for about ten years now...Man, Real World eats it. Can you say "staged"?

Well I agree MTV has to do some adaptability to survive in today's world, by playing what the teenyboppers today, but to totally ignore classic performers and videos goes against the definition of that channel. When I see videos on that channel (yes they do play them) I always wonder when was the last time this dadgummit station played a video that was more than 2 years old? I remember in the late 1980's early 1990's when I watched that station practically all day, I would still see a Cyndi Lauper video from 1984, Twisted Sister and many other acts of the 80's, long after their song was taken out of regular rotation by DJs. But ever since the first Real World premiered, it seems like MTV has filled the airwaves with a bunch of crap, from reality shows, to fashion, sports, it seems everything but music. And the (lame) music they do play is of course, by and large, by the gawd-awful boy-bands or by immature big breasted teenage girls.

For an alternative I'd recommend VH1 which does show some classic videos in it's rotation. If you have satellite MTV2 is okay, but as LT says, they play a lot of no-name bands and songs that chart at #93 on the Billboard charts. Plus there seems to be little organization on this channel, showing videos of different genres here and there. A new music station VH1 Classic, has quickly become my favorite. They do show many big name acts, including many performances by pre-MTV artists from concerts and shows. They also have blocks of music from the 60's 70's and 80's, and no annoying DJs! :rolleyes:

JediTricks
01-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by derek
get a satellite. most places sell them really cheap, and the programing cost is equal to cable, but with a better picture. I live in a large apartment building, so there's no way I can have either dish.

Ha ha, "lifestyle" my aunt fanny! They just want to grab the most current "pre-18" generation who has lots of disposable cash, as soon as those kids turn 23, somehow they're no longer living the lifestyle. Those soap opera-lites are the worst.

Wolfwood319
01-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Not only do they NOT play music videos, or have any programming related to music other than TRL, they have the most commercials on any station, EVER, in the history of TV. I've literally seen 15-18 minute blocks of commercials.

MTVX is good, they play a lot of hardcore, but there is no organization. Its just video after video, no commercials either.

Bottom line, MTV sucks, and as soon as the current teenybopper population gets sick of nysync and the rest of that crap, they'll find a new crap-tastic trend to cash in on. I honestly don't know anyone over the age of 16 who watches that show.