PDA

View Full Version : Build-your-own lightsaber

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2005, 01:04 PM
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS84850

Finally, it looks like this might actually be coming. Maybe the Anakin lightsaber was to test the waters for a product like this? $40 isn't too bad as (I think) it's worth more than two regular lightsabers. Hopefully it's not an EE exclusive, but if it is, that's okay too.

I can't wait for this!

Clonetrooper1131
03-28-2005, 11:46 PM
WOW, very cool. I'll be looking forward to that!

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Hopefully it sees release finally, I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

bobafrett
03-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Freaking sweet! That is one of the better products coming out, I will pick one of those up most definitly!

Turbowars
03-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Too bad it has that lame telescoping blade.

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 07:15 PM
You don't have to use either, they're interchangable so that means they're removable.

Turbowars
03-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Well yeah, but what good it it without a blade? I'm just saying Hasbro should have come up with a solid blade like MR. The telescope version just looks so cheap. In the vintage days didn't Kenner have a solid tube saber. I'm pretty sure I had a yellow one.

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Oh, I see what you mean. The telescoping blade serves several purposes I believe, 1 is packaging constraints, 2 is retailers not wanting a 3-foot-wide box on their shelves, 3 is child safety concerns, and 4 is the ability to light up (the current Hasbro sabers can barely light up the whole telescopic blade they have now, and it's tapered where the MR blades are not). Personally, I highly doubt Hasbro could ever do anything half as cool as the MR Force FX Lightsabers, and I doubt they'd ever try.

Turbowars
03-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah I know all that boring BS. LOL I just would like to see a better looking blade than what is out at this time. Sure MR FX saber looks cool, but you can't hit anything with it let alone spar. There's also reports of the LED's going out and MR wont service them.

kool-aid killer
03-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Thats actually kind of cool. I wouldnt be against picking one up for myself, it would make a nice addition to a collection, plus it would be semi unique in the sense that you the fan created it and its look.

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Yeah I know all that boring BS. LOL I just would like to see a better looking blade than what is out at this time. Sure MR FX saber looks cool, but you can't hit anything with it let alone spar. There's also reports of the LED's going out and MR wont service them.
I hadn't heard about the LEDs going out, I'll make Steve put the next one he gets from MR to a more rigorous test (I'm not getting another one till August - my birthday). As for Hasbro, they are addicted to this design, they even released a telescoping lightsaber in the Transformers: Energon line (it's actually pretty cool, it's not cylindrical, instead faceted). It could be worse though, Rubies released some light-up sabers and they're even worse than the Hasbro ones (the European variants were MUCH better but their blades were even flimsier). But yeah, Hasbro's telescoping blade design is pretty sad, I guess they figure you get what you pay for at $20.

JediTricks
04-01-2005, 04:28 PM
I have a few of the TPM-era ones and a single AOTC-era one for duelling, I took them family picnicks a few years ago and we had a blast. The one thing though is that when you get really into it, the basic sabers' blades are a little sharper at each section's end than the electronic versions' (so there were a few scrapes), and when hit very hard the plastic of the blade turns white-ish.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-01-2005, 06:07 PM
The build your own saber would make a nice display piece, but if you're looking for a lightsaber for dueling, check out the basic lightsabers. They don't light up, so their blades are stronger. My friends and I found my old ones from 1999 a few weeks ago and started fighting with them. They're loads of fun, durable, and cheap. I'm going to pick up a few with the Anakin hilt this weekend.
A few years ago, my Japanese exchange student and I were playing with the lightsabers. I got into it a little too much and ended up breaking my Vader saber's blade. :D I only like to have the ones that light up and make sounds, so I don't have any of the $5 ones. I'd like to get an MR one, but they're so dang expensive (comparatively, that is).