PDA

View Full Version : Which star wars episode III figures are worth buying

jimmymiro12
03-27-2005, 07:59 PM
http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/3854-ep3checklist.jpg

Ok there is a check list but I was wondering what figures I should buy.
I am planing on buying the following
2 Greivous body guards
1 clone commander
1 chancler palpatine or what ever the one with the sword is called
1 lava vader.

Are there any others that are very important that I should get.
tHANKS,
jIMMY m

bobafrett
03-27-2005, 08:55 PM
If your like me, which judging by your list I would say that you are not, but I'm buying "all of them". Is that a good answer? Or are you on a tight budget, much like I was back in the day (1978)? Most of my collection is from 1996 and up.

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I am on a tight budget, so I will only get the figs I really like. I got some help from by birthday by getting a WM gift card, so that will help out alot.
Luckily I am not a completist anymore, otherwise this would cost me a lot of money that I do not have....
My suggestion is to just get the figs YOU like. Check out the figs, see which ones appeal to you, have a good paint job, etc. Its all about what you want.

bobafrett
03-27-2005, 09:07 PM
JangoFett96 is right, if you are on a tight budget, you should pick the figures that appeal to you, and you alone. Don't try to figure out what figures might be worth more at a later date, instead just get the figures that you like, and are within your spending limit. Back when I was young, I chose only the figures that I really liked, and could afford. Now, I'm just glad this is the last SW film, because I'll be paying off Star Wars debt for years to come.

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Of course I will not have as much cash this weekend anyway, since I will be dropping some cash on a Final Four T-shirt. ;)

jimmymiro12
03-27-2005, 09:13 PM
What palpentine figure would be better to get the delux or the regualr

Clonetrooper630
03-27-2005, 09:15 PM
I have the regular and I would say that it is prety Sweet. now as far as which figures, I would buy any clone I could get my hand in to. then again that is just me:D

Darth Takeo
03-27-2005, 09:24 PM
I used to like getting two of each; one to keep in package, and one to open and display/play with. I'll probably do this with the ones I like... I'm just worried I'll like most of them...

bobafrett
03-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Of course I will not have as much cash this weekend anyway, since I will be dropping some cash on a Final Four T-shirt. ;)

I take it your tarheels won today? Sounded like another good game, I missed the last minutes. I'm pulling for the Illini! What a fantastic game yeaterday, coming back from being down by 15 with 4 minutes left, and ended up winning the game in OT.

I'm low on cash too, so I'll be paying with plastic. :nerv:

Clonetrooper630
03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
What i did was pre order cases from EE that are going to be avaliable untill june and that way secure some of the figures just in case i run out of money or can't find anything on MM. and if I find the cases that i have preordered then I just cancel. That way I avoid using plastic and pay everything with my check card

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2005, 09:48 PM
I take it your tarheels won today? Sounded like another good game, I missed the last minutes. I'm pulling for the Illini! What a fantastic game yeaterday, coming back from being down by 15 with 4 minutes left, and ended up winning the game in OT.

I'm low on cash too, so I'll be paying with plastic. :nerv:

Yes, they did. About 10 minutes later all the websites for the unc stores had their Final Four apparel uploaded. lol
It looks like I will be headed to Chapel Hill tomorrow to get my t-shirt, that way I can just get it over with before the MM event...

You are right, the Illini played one heck of a game yesterday. They have alot of talent, heart, and good coaching. It will be tough getting through them.
Hopefully we will get to see a Unc/Illinois National Championship.

bobafrett
03-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Hopefully we will get to see a Unc/Illinois National Championship.

That would be nice, but I would still pull for the U of I!

Bossk77
03-27-2005, 11:53 PM
What i did was pre order cases from EE that are going to be avaliable untill june and that way secure some of the figures just in case i run out of money or can't find anything on MM. and if I find the cases that i have preordered then I just cancel. That way I avoid using plastic and pay everything with my check ars
I am broke and going to bare bone it. I will pick up Grevious Unleashed, and a few odds and ins so i get the TRU Yoda. If i can wing it i will get a Lava vader.

Is it me or does The Lava Vader look more and more lame each time i see a higher res pic of it?

If your not a collector and more of an investment kinda person buy one of everything and pray for varients, keep what you like and return the rest.

Kidhuman
03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
I would get Grievous four attack blades. As a matter of fact, I have him. :beard:

Clonetrooper630
03-28-2005, 12:45 AM
I am broke and going to bare bone it. I will pick up Grevious Unleashed, and a few odds and ins so i get the TRU Yoda. If i can wing it i will get a Lava vader.

Is it me or does The Lava Vader look more and more lame each time i see a higher res pic of it?

If your not a collector and more of an investment kinda person buy one of everything and pray for varients, keep what you like and return the rest.
I'm a completist and also a MOC collector and opener so I don't do it as an investment and as long as I get two of each one to keep and one to open I really don't care about variations.
to answer your question, yes the Lava vader does staring to look kind of lame maybe I'll save my money and buy a couple of extra clones

Fluke Skywalker
03-28-2005, 01:41 AM
This apparent tidal wave is causing alot of us to have to make some tough choices. Back when I thought they were going to only release the first 24 figures April 2nd, I had planned on getting about 15 of those. When that number went up to as many as the first 40, I cut the 15 down to 10.

In a way maybe it's good, it's caused me to scale back and insure I won't end up buying stuff in the rush of excitment that I won't really want a year from now.

As far as what's worth buying, does anyone remember that song by Motley Crue called 'Girls, girls, girls'? No? That's probably a good thing, but if you do just change the word Girls to Clones and that's my best advice. You really can't go wrong with Clones. I personally fight the temptation to grab all the secondary characters, like Senators, Alien Muppett Jedi et. I also usually avoid the "Deluxe" figures, which normally look lousy, but the Deluxe 4 armed GG looks great.

In total I'll probably get 25 of the 56 figures, not including army building clone extras.

dindae
03-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree with Fluke Skywalker with everything except that forgetting Girls, Girls, Girls is probably a good thing. :D SA clone and troopers have always gone fast and usually go up in value on the after market. So if you are torn on what to get I would side with the clone. Like many have said most figures will be available cheap come clearance time, but clones will not be on the list. Other then that buy what you like first. If its cool then that will probably be the thing that is harder to find anyway.

1st Prime
03-28-2005, 11:27 AM
I just collect the villians, but it will still be crazy trying to purchase those certain figures. Hopfully I will get to Target early to snag that lava Vader. :ermm:

Devo
03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
I join the thread starter in his concern over what to buy and what not to buy. I had sworn off buying prequel toys and was going to focus on the OT but a lot of these ROTS figs are making my mouth water particularly how they look on Hasbros checklist poster.

I will buy figures with themes in mind - ie. Jedis/clones/wookies/senate figures because these are themes I already have going with what I did buy from TPM and AOTC (except for wookies). Trouble is of course there are other figures which look really cool which are outside of these categories and I just about may end up wanting to get the majority of the figures.

I worry that this is just false enthusiasm on my part caused by my excitement about the film and that a few months or weeks after I've bought a lot of these figures I'll wish I hadn't because by then I'll have become disillusioned with ROTS as I did TPM and AOTC. What to do. And like most people here I don't have a great deal of money for all that I would hope to buy.

bobafrett
03-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Has anyone noticed if the figures have numbers on each package? I have seen the figures, but keep forgetting to check them as it is the only way I know if I missed one figure or another. I'm sure I have some gaps in my older figure collection, seeing as they weren't numbered.

Sith Lord 0498
03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
The numbers are on the left side underneath the character photos. They're also on the cardbacks if I remember correctly.

Clonetrooper630
03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
they do have numbers just like the OTC collection

Rocketboy
03-28-2005, 09:58 PM
From what I've seen, the only 2 I'm interested in are Vader and Threepio.

bobafrett
03-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys. I noticed in another thread that there are two clonetroopers that look very much alike. If not for a number, I might pass over one of the clonetroopers or any other figure the Hasbro is notorious for making more than one of, say Anakin, or Obi-Wan. I actually passed over several during the EPII toy release, thinking I had already had those in my cart, but did not.

Clonetrooper630
03-28-2005, 10:11 PM
It happened to me last time at MM:nerv:

Clonetrooper630
03-28-2005, 10:43 PM
I didn't wanted to start another Thread.... but I was looking at the EE catalog and I think that the clone pilot is twenty steps back from the EII pilot not only it does not look like a pilot, it looks more like a rebel pilot an hybrid from the A wing and B-wing pilot I think i'll pass on this one meh:ermm:

jedi master sal
03-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Actually I think the Clone Pilot looks most like an AT-AT pilot, but with an X-wing/Clonetrooper hybrid helmet. I like it. I'm getting 11 of them (9 just for the 3 ARC-170's I'm planning on buying.)

As to which ones are WORTH buying, well that's a loaded question.

Worth of something is determined on your own. We can only make suggestins as to what we personally feel is worth getting.

For instance I'm an amry builder so to me Clones/Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids are worth getting.

Some others may have a Jedi focus and tell you to get those first (BTW, I already have most of these and they are great figs to, IMHO).

While still others will tell you to just buy what you like (which I personally feel is the right way to go).

In any event, IMO, I feel these figures are all quite a step up from what we've seen from the past 2 movies/toy releases, that they are all worth getting on some level or another.

I've already spent $700 on ROTS stuff and the official toy release hasn't evne happened yet. (And I still have another $350 budget just for 4/2) Gawd it's great to have a good job.)

Good luck my friend.

And good luck to all of you fellows out there. Hope you all get what you want (and can afford).

MTFBWY on 4-2!
-Sal

Kidhuman
03-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I've already spent $700 on ROTS stuff and the official toy release hasn't evne happened yet. (And I still have another $350 budget just for 4/2) Gawd it's great to have a good job.)
-Sal

I hate you Sal...:beard: :jealousy:

j/k...

Clonetrooper630
03-30-2005, 01:02 AM
700!!!! what have you bought:greedy: :crazed: :greedy:

jimmymiro12
03-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Ok thanks for the help

Now I am wondering if the darth sid. from the basic figures is better than the deluxe. So far I am leaning toowards the deluxe because its what he wears in the third movie so. But which one is better.
Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Kidhuman
03-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Couldnt really answer until Saturday when they are released.

Dark Marble
03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks to a good tax return I also have a good budget for the 2nd. I always try to resist buying a lot but I always end up with everything anyway so I am just going for it this time. I am going for one of each figure on the 2nd and get multiples of the ones I like after I have opened them. I wonder if army builders will be hard to come by? I want two ARC-170 ships so that is six of the clone pilots. Ouch...

jedi master sal
03-30-2005, 01:34 PM
I hate you Sal...:beard: :jealousy:

j/k...

Do you hate me because I got those toys, still have more money to spend or a good job? Or is it all three?

Ha ha. J/K as well.

Good luck on 4/2!

700!!!! what have you bought:greedy: :crazed: :greedy:

I've got so far:
First 26 figures, with duplicates (dupes) of 13-24 and triplicates (trips) of C-3PO and Palpatine (the handcuff one) (For a total of 40 basic 3 3/4" figs)
Force battlers Greivous and Vader
Unleashed (All three with dupes of Ani/Obi)
1 Boga
3 BARC Speederbikes
Deluxe Greivous, Obi
2 Anakin Jedi Starfighters (JSF)
1 Obi JSF
1 Greivous Wheelbike
Anakin changing Lightsaber
adding that all up plus 7 percent sales tax. (Items were purchased at all of the big 3 "street date" breakers-W*M, Target, KMart)

TONS of Food promo stuff, (but that's only about $100 worth of the $700).
I'd list that too, but I can't remember it all.

My plan for 4/2 is simple. Army builders, a couple of the higher numbered Jedi, and the new Titanium series. Then on 4/10; Ships and/or 12inch figs at TRU for the Holo Yoda. (Purchasing them seperately so as to get more Yoda's) I'm planning on getting 3 ARC-170's so that 12 Pilots, plus I want 2 more (1 carded and another loose apart from the ARC-170's) Though I don't believe this figure will be out by then.

So in reality that additional money will now be spread over a week. Would have been the same day if not for TRU's dumb azz decision to do their exclusive later. (That's going to bite them in the ... later.) You think they'd want to compete head to head against Target and Walmart on 4/2. Shoot, IMHO, they have the best of the three exclusives.

-Sal

Kidhuman
03-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Because you found 700 dollars worth already. I have only found about 125 total so far.