PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Review: Land Speeder

LusiferSam
03-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Zipping right along (and from place to place) this week's vehicle is the Land Speeder (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=8836&cat=3404&page=1). It features include special suspension that can be shifted from from non-moving to "float" and a pop open hood. The Palitoy version lacks the hood feature. The Land Speeder was available in '78, '79 and '84. The '84 release was part of Kenner's "Collectors Series" and the box sports a yellow and red starburst announcing it.

I always thought the Land Speeder was a well executed vehicle on Kenner's part. It looks great, the "floating" suspension is killer, and the pop open hood works on so many levels. Who wouldn't love to run it into a wall just to pop the thing open? I still get a kick out of it as an adult. And the suspension, for the most part it does look to be floating. So my hat's off to Kenner.

vader121
03-28-2005, 08:48 AM
I agree that Kenner did a nice job with this vehicle. It was the first vehicle I got as a kid. Loved the openning hood where you could stash weapons. Scale was very good as well.

One thing I wish it had was guns to add more play value. Obviously that wasn't part of it's screen time in the movie but perhaps some guns on the sides or something. I did use the button-looking thing for the hood release as the gun.
Also, would have been nice to incorporate something that C3po and R2 could hook into in the back to simulate the ride into Mos Eiseley. They would fall off real easy.

Fluke Skywalker
03-28-2005, 10:01 AM
The land speeder was a home run on Kenner's part. This thing really cooked when I would fling it across the kitchen floor. Star Wars didn't have many land based vehicles that didn't have legs so this was a must have. Looks great too. Kenner really nailed most of the ships/vehicles IMO (Especially considering the time) but this ranks among the best. **** 4 Stars!

Rebo's_Guitarist
03-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Also, would have been nice to incorporate something that C3po and R2 could hook into in the back to simulate the ride into Mos Eiseley. They would fall off real easy.

You could just tie them up and drag them from behind like in Thumb Wars.......