PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Jedi is out way, way early

El Chuxter
03-28-2005, 06:29 PM
According to the publishing info, Last of the Jedi -- the first of the new young adult series that focuses on Obi-Wan's wacky adventures following Revenge of the Sith -- should be released in May.

However, I saw quite a few copies at the Waldenbooks in Temecula, CA, on Saturday. (They also had the first issue of the ROTS comic adaptation out a few days early.)

Furthermore, both amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com have the book listed as "in-stock," while the other ROTS-related books have a "preorder" status.

In any case, the actual physical books appear to have been sent to stores, so I'm willing to bet money that they'll be released on Saturday with the rest of the ROTS books. (Hey, if Wal-Mart's sitting on a ton of books that they know can't be put on the shelves because they're SW books, do you think they're going to notice a later shelf date on one book out of about twenty-something?)

InsaneJediGirl
03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Kind of forgot these were coming out :) Thanks for the reminder Chux.

Did you try buying any?Maybe they are out but have the 'no sale' type of deal going on as the action figures do?I'll have to keep my eyes open Saturday and see if I spot the books laying around.

El Chuxter
03-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I figured it'd be cheaper online (even taking the Preferred Reader discount into account), so I ordered it yesterday rather than pick up the one at Waldenbooks. So far it seems to be going fine, though the entire order won't ship until all the books coming out this weekend are released. (I'm a cheapskate. I'm not paying extra for books I won't read until May 19. So sue me. :p)

InsaneJediGirl
03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I know what you mean,I've ordered books off Amazon and such if I figured it would even save me a few cents.Thought I was the only weirdo who did such things :crazed:

Saw it on Amazon.Com used already,so either everyone is jumping the release date,or the OS messed up on their dates.

OC47150
03-30-2005, 02:26 PM
I do want to read this series.

Amazon's free shipping offer always gets me. You're always a couple of bucks short of the $25 limit and you keep shopping until you find something to push you over.

El Chuxter
03-30-2005, 04:34 PM
That's why you wait and consolidate your amazon.com orders. :p

If you're like me, though, with all the ROTS stuff, you'll have no trouble whatsoever qualifying for that free shipping.

OC47150
03-31-2005, 06:56 AM
I don't have that problem with toys or DVDs, most of the time.

Lately, some of my DVD purchases have been from the 'used/previously viewed' category, and the free shipping doesn't apply to that. Save money on the DVD but not shipping.

InsaneJediGirl
04-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Got the book and finished reading it. I thought it was quite good,back up to par with Jedi Apprentice (Not a fan of Jedi Quest). It will be interesting to see where this series goes,without getting too deep into ROTS and the book spoilers,I want to see what happens in the "underground".

OC47150
04-29-2005, 07:07 AM
It's on my must-read list.

I stopped at the Scholastic booth at C3 and told the rep that I enjoyed the books, moreso than some of the adults. Apparently, she heard a lot of that from the fans.

InsaneJediGirl
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
I'll have to agree to that.The adult books have gone downhill in content lately,ever since NJO in my opinion.

Just curious,did the rep say how many books will be in the series?

OC47150
04-29-2005, 10:27 AM
She didn't, and I didn't ask. Sorry. :(

I made the comment to someone while standing in line at C3 on Thursday, that Shatterpoint could've been better if 50 - 70 pages were edited. Boy, did this person take offense!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2005, 11:22 AM
This is one of the ROTS books that will remain unopened and unread until May 20th at the earliest. But the novelization of the film comes first! :)

El Chuxter
04-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Methinks after seeing ROTS, I'm looking through the Visual Dictionary, the Incredible Cross Sections, the Scrapbook, the graphic novel, the novelization, and then Last of the Jedi. But I can't wait to get my paws into that one.

Rocketboy
07-28-2005, 10:43 PM
So, what did everyone think of Last of the Jedi?

I finally found one for the first time since April the other day and picked it up. About half way through and it actually seems like a pretty good story.
I picked up the first 3 Jedi Apprentice books way back when. Mainly to see how Obi-Wan became Qui-Gon's apprentice. They were ok but didn't grab me enough to keep buying them. Hopefully this series does.

Pre-1999, if you'd have told me that I'd be reading a book about Obi-Wan, I'd probably have slapped you.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2005, 10:35 PM
So, what did everyone think of Last of the Jedi?

Pre-1999, if you'd have told me that I'd be reading a book about Obi-Wan, I'd probably have slapped you.I realized I never reviewed this book. :frus: I liked it. It's a good lead-in to the rest of this series. It really keeps the sense of failure and hesitancy to act that Obi-Wan seemed to develop after Mustafar, while maintaining the sense of duty he gave himself.

BTW, what happened in 1999 anyway? :p

OC47150
08-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Finally got around to picking this one up. I'm looking forward to staying up late one night over the holiday weekend and reading it. :thumbsup:

OC47150
09-07-2005, 10:25 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to reading the second in the series (it's out).

Bel-Cam's right: it depicts Obi-Wan's hestiancy to get involved in anything really after ROTS. The story made him more human and a more complicated character.

Rocketboy
02-24-2006, 03:46 PM
If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the books pages in the new Insider are about LOTJ #4.
Also, they say this series will only consist of 10 books.

OC47150
05-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Just read the third book in the series. Very good. Can't wait to get the fourth one.

Rocketboy
06-17-2006, 11:53 PM
If anyone hasn't noticed, there is Last of the Jedi short story in the new Star Wars Insider. It takes place between books #2 and #3 (IIRC).
It's only a couple of pages, not worth a whole lot...maybe. It could be a preview/foreshadowing of future books.

Darth Jax
07-07-2006, 09:04 PM
picked up #5 today - "A Tangled Web." another quick read, just like the others. not quite as much star wars as james bond.

Rocketboy
07-07-2006, 09:13 PM
It's out already? Holy carp!

I thought it wasn't due for another month.

El Chuxter
07-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I thought there was at least a month or two to go as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2006, 11:04 PM
It's out already? Holy carp!

I thought it wasn't due for another month.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought there was at least a month or two to go as well.Uh, and what is the title of this thread again? I'll have to head over and pick it up.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Got it yesterday and am about halfway through (have I said that I like short, fast-reading books before?). It has the Emperor in it! Not a spoiler, 'cause Cos is on the cover.

I still like issue #1 of this series the best so far.

Darth Jax
07-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Got it yesterday and am about halfway through (have I said that I like short, fast-reading books before?).

i agree, the shorter stories (mostly aimed at a much younger audience) are often better reads than the longer (adult oriented) books.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Got it [7/8/06] and am about [all the way] through (have I said that I like short, fast-reading books before?). It has the Emperor in it! Not a spoiler, 'cause Cos is on the cover.

I still like issue #1 of this series the best so far.This wasn't too bad; it ended about the way I expected, but there are a lot of openings that Watson can go with the story arc. Can you believe that this series is just over a year old and it's at book #5 already?

Darth Jax
07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
This wasn't too bad; it ended about the way I expected, but there are a lot of openings that Watson can go with the story arc. Can you believe that this series is just over a year old and it's at book #5 already?

i was a little disappointed that the boba fett series didn't have more entries in it. but it was a weaker series all around, so maybe that's not entirely a bad thing. there's still whole lots of unaccounted time in his young adolesence that could be detailed. as he gets older and becomes the bad a55 bounty hunter from the OT, it would probably end up getting too difficult to have him being kid friendly.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Picked up #6 "Return of the Dark Side" yesterday and am about 4 chapters into it. It has a cool Drew Struzan cover. Will report on its plot and ending when I finish.

End of line.

InsaneJediGirl
11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Where is everyone finding these? I keep looking at WM with no luck,I suppose I'll have to make a pilgrimage to Books-A-Million.

Darth Jax
11-05-2006, 10:51 PM
i always get them at border's for the rewards points

Rocketboy
11-05-2006, 11:34 PM
I haven't seen one at Wal-mart in ages.
I usually get mine at Borders or Walden Books.

Glad to see its finally out.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Where is everyone finding these? I keep looking at WM with no luck,I suppose I'll have to make a pilgrimage to Books-A-Million.I've found the last 2 at B&N, and I've been able to use a coupon on each. Wow!

This was fairly predictable, but after #7, I might change my mind, because it leaves some loose ends untied...

OC47150
11-08-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm behind on this series. Might have to pick a couple of the books up and read them over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

I do enjoy them.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm behind on this series. Might have to pick a couple of the books up and read them over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

I do enjoy them.But there's now six books... that means about 800 pages... how can anyone read that many pages? Not at one time... in one's lifetime!?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Ahem. Now that my computer is back in my own possession, and not in that of a teenage student... good plan, OC. :yes:

OC47150
11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
I've read #1 - 3, so I'm not that far behind.

I can get through one, uninterrupted, in about 2 - 3 hours.

Darth Jax
11-14-2006, 01:29 PM
border's still didn't have #6 out on the shelves so i resorted to picking it up at B&N. was glad i did since i found the hutt gambit (han solo #2) that i'd been missing for ages.

i'll get #6 read today i'm sure. they go real quick.

Tycho
11-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Picked up #6 "Return of the Dark Side" yesterday and am about 4 chapters into it. It has a cool Drew Struzan cover. Will report on its plot and ending when I finish.

End of line.

That's a surprise. The Star Wars Insider reported that # 6 wouldn't be out until December! I'll have to go look for it when I pick up Darth Bane's book today (the line was too long the other day, so I left it - but Borders did not have #6 - I did look - and that was Sunday).

Meanwhile, DARTH JAX, The Hutt Gambit is really good. I read every Star Wars book, and that young Han Solo Trilogy is by far amongst my favorites. I wanted Lucas' live action show to be similar in subject matter and style.

Darth Jax
11-14-2006, 05:09 PM
just finished it. decent book. too many secrets though.

with the exception of the books aimed at a younger audience i've nearly collected them all. i read many of them when i was a bit younger from the library. there are holes in what i've read though and hopefully i'll manage to catch up.

Tycho
11-14-2006, 06:07 PM
too many secrets though.

Can you be more specific?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Can you be more specific?Uh, secrets aren't meant to be told... ;)

Unless he means:
- why is Palpatine acting the way he is in the book (but we know from the films that he's never truthful)?
- when will Obi-Wan appear in more detail?
- is Ferus who he appears to be, or not?
- has the Rebellion already started or has it not yet developed?
- who put the bop in the bopshoobopshoobop?
- what are those 11 herbs and spices?

Darth Jax
11-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Uh, secrets aren't meant to be told... ;)

Unless he means:
- why is Palpatine acting the way he is in the book (but we know from the films that he's never truthful)?
- when will Obi-Wan appear in more detail?
- is Ferus who he appears to be, or not?
- has the Rebellion already started or has it not yet developed?
- who put the bop in the bopshoobopshoobop?
- what are those 11 herbs and spices?

something along those lines. this series in particular, but in many ongoing sagas as well, if the "heroes" would only have a chance to sit down and discuss what they each know - they'd be so much better off. but they're all busy keeping their little secrets from each other.

Tycho
11-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Ah. I thought you were referring to secrets in The Hutt Gambit such as:

- Han's time In The Empire's Service
- Chewbacca's fight with the Trandoshans, his capture and enslavement
- Imperial Forces Lt. Han Solo's role in that capture of Chewbacca
- Han's antagonistic relationship with Cmdr. Nyklas
- Han's plan and its execution that freed Chewbacca
- Han's courtmartial and blacklisting, revocation of his pilot's license.
- Han's suicide attempt and Chewbacca's interference

I had the chance to read the Star Wars Insider's interview (or someone's) account with Ann Crispin (A.C. Crispin - the author of the Young Han Solo trilogy) and she said she was given direction from George Lucas not to touch on the above subject matter.

The Paradise Snare has Han escaping being an orphan "turned out" (as a thief and pimped as a Swoop racer) by a pirate captain (Garris Shrike), and his escape and eventual fall-in with Jabba The Hutt, until his girl he rescued from Hutt slavery runs and joins the Rebel Alliance, while Han did everything he could to join up with the Empire.

The Hutt Gambit takes place about 5 years later, when Han, now 23, has rescued Chewbacca and crawled back to Jabba to beg for work again. Chewie owes him a life-debt and the two become partners, but Boba Fett is more than irritated!

Rebel Dawn is much to do about what the title suggests and takes Han right up to the point where he sits down with Obi-Wan and asks "You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?"

Gosh this would make a great TV show! As would Han's 5 years in the Empire.

Since he'd be so young (19-23) he could be cast without having to look that much like Harrison Ford at age 29.

But the "secrets" fill in the gaps:

Han's Grandparents were:

Denn Solo - grandfather
Mrs. Gamma-Solo - grandmother

They had twins (coincidence, huh?)

Tion -Daughter. Married into Sal family, son is Thrackan Sal-Solo
son - unknown name - definitely Han Solo's father

There was a pirate named Solo The Black who plagued the Corellian System. He might be related to Denn Solo and opted to kill him to claim an inheritence.

Denn Solo and his wife (Gamma-Solo) fled, each taking a twin. Grandma took Tion. Grandpa Denn took the son.

Maybe Solo The Black caught up with Denn and killed him. His son survived though and escaped.

I'd long held the theory that this son volunteered himself as a mercenary and to be cloned for new soldiers to replace Jango Fett's as his genetic samples he gave ran out and the source was dead.

The Paradise Snare has flashbacks when Han is a very young kid - 10 or younger perhaps. And Shrike finds him and takes him in.

My theory has long been that he was one of a new batch of clones of his father (Denn's son) and his training headset malfunctioned, or was damaged, and he was abandoned or deemed lost in a battle when the clone kids were exposed. Then he set out for Corellia to track down his roots and find his family but instead found Shrike. Originally programmed and trained for military service, it explains why Han Solo "is so good at what he does," and also why his very existence irks Boba Fett so badly.

I see that these being his origins, he would try to get back into the Empire, and even if they recognized him for what he was, they allowed him to pursue becoming a pilot instead of a stormtrooper, as there were obviously clone pilots, and Han already had the training and knack for it by the time he was 19 and entered the Academy.

I don't know too much about the Last of the Jedi series. I was going to read them (have bought 1-5) but was interrupted when I wound up in the hospital with my belongings put in storage. I had been re-reading all the Clone Wars stuff and got up to the Cestus Deception, when some of my books wound up in a box I haven't located yet. I've decided to begin reading out of order as there are so many that I want to touch that I've bought and haven't read: Dark Lord, Outbound Flight, the Dark Nest and Legacy of the Jedi books, etc.

I might as well get with the program and the Last of the Jedi will be fast reads with it.

Tycho
12-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Well I'm really delving deep into The Last of the Jedi series right now and I'm loving it!

Jude Watson is such a talented writer. I don't know how she comes up with these storylines. The cliffhangers are driving me crazy as I'm between # 3 and # 4 right now and Feris has been captured and The Erased are under attack (probably by Clones, but it didn't say yet).

I also think the brothers might be new clones or something. They never talk and seem to be just along for the ride. It makes me suspicious of them.

Anyway, I'm starting "Death on Naboo" now. It's a very good series. I wonder if Feris will confront Vader and learn his true identity at all?

Tycho
12-10-2006, 03:08 AM
I was very impressed with how she worked a type of TPM Battle for Theed into the storyline, and then covered Naboo from Imperial retribution. No mention of the planet being priviledged because Palpatine hailed from there. You'd think that at least the Naboo might try to test whether or not that would be the case.

I can't believe that Feris would go to a meeting in Palpatine's office with a man he knew was the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, then walk away from it. Is this how Palpatine recruited "The Emperor's Hands?" (Mara Jade would have not even been born at this time if she is indeed 2 years younger than Luke). But if Vader finds out about Olin, there will be a situation I'm sure I won't want to miss.

Anyway, I'm just starting book 5, "A Tangled Web" now.

Tycho
12-11-2006, 07:36 AM
I'm reading No. 6 "The Return of the Dark Side" now. I have a terrible feeling that Palpatine is going to black mail Ferus into revealing the location of his friends on the asteroid base and moving his troops in to wipe them all out.

These are dark times and the first real victory is when Luke Skywalker comes of age and destroys the first Death Star.

Ferus is being manipulated into being one of the Emperor's Hands.

I can't believe Vader is so restrained that he hasn't tried to kill him yet, also. Vader knows who he is and I think it is only a matter of time until Ferus finds out who Vader is.

Jude Watson is on book 6 of 10 now. It's no criticism of her writing ability - it's just the era of the Empire - but this series is going to end very badly. I don't think these characters will live to see a Rebel Alliance. They will die thinking Ferus betrayed them and Ferus will die when he thinks he knows who Darth Vader really is.

That's why Luke is the only Jedi who can stop Darth Vader - namely because his father doesn't want to kill him. And while Palpatine does try to assasinate Luke in the EU (Mara Jade's entrance into the story, etc.), we see that Vader was never the apprentice that the Sith Master hoped he'd be and why he'd want Luke at his side if he could be turned.

It's hard not to root for Ferus, Astri, Clive, Trever, Solace, Garen, and the rest of The Eleven in the meanwhile. But I sense Jude Watson is making us care about them because they are going to be brutally murdered and Ferus is going to be guilty of handing them over to the Empire (perhaps to keep the secret about Luke safe?). So some young readers' books, huh?

This is going to turn out as if the final Harry Potter book had young Harry raped by a dragon, then set on fire, and finally beheaded (not that this would be a bad thing). But I think kids are going to be really frightened of the Sith and their Empire when this series is over!

BTW, I've wondered if Ferus is gay. His relationship with Roan is suspicious to me. The subject wouldn't really be broached in young readers' books, but Watson might've crafted ambiguity into there. I don't mind, but if he is, he is definitely not at all any gay stereotype which is good I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Ferus is being manipulated into being one of the Emperor's Hands.

Jude Watson is on book 6 of 10 now. It's no criticism of her writing ability - it's just the era of the Empire - but this series is going to end very badly. I don't think these characters will live to see a Rebel Alliance. They will die thinking Ferus betrayed them and Ferus will die when he thinks he knows who Darth Vader really is.

But I sense Jude Watson is making us care about them because they are going to be brutally murdered and Ferus is going to be guilty of handing them over to the Empire (perhaps to keep the secret about Luke safe?). So some young readers' books, huh?

BTW, I've wondered if Ferus is gay. His relationship with Roan is suspicious to me. The subject wouldn't really be broached in young readers' books, but Watson might've crafted ambiguity into there. I don't mind, but if he is, he is definitely not at all any gay stereotype which is good I guess.Interesting theories, Tycho. The "dark times" should be just that. You're right though; maybe a young adult novel isn't necessarily the best place to expand upon that concept. As to the gay aspect, I don't think that's an issue at all, nor intentional. The guy has so few friends, and less people he can trust. That's not a male-male relationship, but simply a close one with a close friend.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2007, 09:22 AM
I got #7 yesterday, LOTJ: Secret Weapon, and am about halfway through it. Needs more to be read before I can make any judgments or comments. But, not to spoilerize, I'm betting that the "secret weapon" in the title refers to a bomb that when it explodes, blows off only people's clothing! :p

Tycho
03-19-2007, 12:03 AM
You've got me curious as to what the heck you were talking about. But I heard nothing about a new book coming out. That's good news Bel-Cam as I really like Jude Watson's work and Ferus turned into a really great character.

OC47150
03-19-2007, 07:26 AM
I got #7 yesterday, LOTJ: Secret Weapon, and am about halfway through it. Needs more to be read before I can make any judgments or comments. But, not to spoilerize, I'm betting that the "secret weapon" in the title refers to a bomb that when it explodes, blows off only people's clothing! :p

Oh my goodness!!! :shocked:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2007, 07:33 PM
You've got me curious as to what the heck you were talking about. But I heard nothing about a new book coming out. That's good news Bel-Cam as I really like Jude Watson's work and Ferus turned into a really great character.Many people have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, so don't feel bad. :D

The scary thing is, knowing that most of the Jedi end up dead prior to ANH, I wonder if Watson will kill him off at the end of the series. :eek:

Tycho
03-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Well Ferus is not a Jedi, and the way Palpatine has co-opted him, he is sort of functioning like one of the Emperor's hands (like Mara Jade was). So it'd be interesting if he's relegated to that fate.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Found this:

Star Wars: The Last of the Jedi
Judy Blundell, Jude Watson

Format: Paperback
Pub. Date: August 2007

Available for Pre-Order
This item will be available on August 1.It shows a dual author, which was why I was earlier concerned that June was off the series. Wonder if this Judy is a) going to finish it up, b) a new nom de plume for Ms. Watson, c) a misprint, or d) the next greatest thing since sliced bread.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Anybody else who's looking for this having trouble finding it? It's said "shipping in 1-2 weeks" for the last 3 weeks now. I saw someone selling a used copy, but I find that dubious.

Tycho
08-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Hmm. I love Jude Watson's writing.

However, Last of the Jedi was getting a really large recurring cast (of Jedi and rebel refugees) and the last book was harder to get into.

I also think that in terms of interest for Young Readers, Star Wars has faded out of many's memories.

To that new generation, "What's Star Wars?" "Oh you mean that 'end of the '90's era thing with the spaceships and the talking frog?" (Well, maybe it's not that bad...)

But youths are still youths for fleeting moments and the new youths are into Transformers (and heck POTC is fading out of memory now).

So while SW might keep more holding power than it did in 1985 (2 years after ROTJ), I don't know if Young Readers' books that started in 2005 at the height of the ROTS hype and focused on Ferus, a non-movie, central character (who I think is seriously cool, mind you) will have the staying power. Jude Watson may want to jump ship as coming down from best-seller status might not be to her liking.

So I sense, SW for young readers may be over for another while.

OC47150
08-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Amazon has an Oct. 1 release date.

I went looking for it the other day at the bookstore and didn't see it.

Rocketboy
08-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/young/news20070718.html) also says October (and has a pic of the cover).

Bel-Cam Jos
09-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I finally found this one the other day. It only shows Jude Watson as the sole author, and there's another cool Drew Struzan cover painting. I'm about a third-way in, but it has a list of featured characters before the first chapter... showing Obi-Wan Kenobi. Don't know if that means he actually appears in the story (so far, not yet) or is just to inform (new) readers who the person is when others reference him (that has happened in it so far). Just like ROTS, this book seems to be less fun SW and more serious SW; makes for a better story and stronger characterization.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2007, 10:05 PM
This one (#8) was pretty good. Obi-Wan does appear (via comlink/transmitter), as does Vader. Even Qui-Gon gets mentioned in passing. I really don't know how this series is going to end; I heard it was only to be 10 books long, so that leaves little time to wrap up things.

jedibear
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I like these books alot....I'm gonna miss 'em when this series wraps up. I actually enjoy these more than the "adult" books at this point.

I'm curious where Ferus is going to end up...I know that some characters from the DH comics have made their way into the movies...it would be cool to see Ferus in the new tv series...

Tycho
09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
There was "Ferus Bueller's Day Off." They even used the Star Wars main title theme.

Perhaps Ferus Olin just changed his name while he was hiding from the Empire (and his high school principal)?

El Chuxter
11-02-2007, 01:58 PM
The otherwise useless official site has the cover and brief synopsis for Book IX (http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/young/news20071101.html).

Do you see who I see?

I have to wonder how far in the future this book is, or if maybe that's just for dramatic effect. It could definitely explain why proposals for novels about her early years were off-limits to guys like Luceno.

OC47150
11-02-2007, 07:42 PM
My two cents...

It's a teaser. Just a reminder of what Leia will grow up to be.

Tycho
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Interesting. I hate to admit it, but I couldn't get back into book 7 even, and I guess I need to go out and buy book 8.

Then I need to start over and read the series again from book 1.

I forgot who a lot of the characters were, the series is coming out much slower than the Young Readers books did in the past.

So I tried to start book 7 before, and totally forgot who all the characters were.

And I guess I'm just prejudiced, by way of gut instinct. I KNOW that I am supposedly a bad person to feel this way, but Ferus' friendship with that one guy who started the resistance with him seemed to make me way too paranoid about a homosexual relationship. You could read that into it. Conventional tolerance and the knowledge that these are young reader books would suggest that I am reading what's not even there. And if it were even there, it's not any business of mine to be negatively judgemental about it. But that is just how I naturally feel about that sort of thing, disturbing me. I'm just waiting to be called an intolerant jerk. :rolleyes: So fine. Hate me for bringing that up in a young readers' book thread, and hate me for how I honestly feel. The funny thing is that while it makes me uncomfortable, I'm not hating others, myself. If Ferus is of that persuasion, than fine for him. He's a cool character that I admire anyway. I'm hoping that we find that he turns into one of the original "Emperor's Hands" as Mara Jade is too young to be one at this age (she'd be 1 year old or not even born yet) and it'd be interesting how Palpatine secures the assistance of trained Force-using talent in his twisted manner that was successful in recruiting Ferus.

I hope they also further emphasize that to be "a Jedi," means you are a sworn enemy of the philosophy and practices of the Sith, and other Force users that are not alligned with the Jedi Order, such as how Ferus was one who dropped out of his training, are not priority threats to the Sith. Actually, it's Vader, not Palpatine, who obsesses over Jedi destruction. That too is an interesting approach.

Anyway, I must re-read this series. Does anyone care to point out how I might want to reconsider it in light of my (possibly paranoid) perceptions? If I'm wrong, does Ferus need (or did he even get in book 7?) a heterosexual love interest? A character's relationships further develop them having 3 dimensions to their personality. A former Jedi shouldn't be out for revenge, so that can't or shouldn't be Ferus' prime motivation. Boy would it work though. In the comics, Jennir (Dark Times) is falling that way. So Ferus needs some shorter term motivations. It would seem his longer term ones are Jedi / Rebellion survival. But that is why I'm pondering this whole thing like I am.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2007, 11:02 AM
No, I just think it's Obi-Wan's "a certain point of view" line. Literature is meant to be interpreted, and readers don't always have the same reactions as the authors, nor the same as other readers. I don't see it as relevant to the story, myself.

OC47150
11-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I picked up the latest book today. Planning on reading it this next weekend.

OC47150
11-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Finished the book this morning. I found it entertaining. Watson hasn't disappointed me yet.

I have a suspicion how this series will end, but it won't stop me from reading them.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-27-2008, 08:47 AM
The otherwise useless official site has the cover and brief synopsis for Book IX (http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/young/news20071101.html).

Do you see who I see?

My two cents...

It's a teaser. Just a reminder of what Leia will grow up to be. I picked this'n up yesterday and am just about done (so I don't know how this book fully ends). Book #9, Master of Deception, is mainly set on Alderaan. Leia is old enough to run and talk (simple words), so I'd guess it's about 2 years past ROTS. Winter makes a cameo, too.

OC47150
01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I didn't know #9 was out until someone mentioned it to me last weekend. I'll have to get it.

Rocketboy
01-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Without spoiling it since everyone hasn't read it yet...I thought this was one of the better ones in a while, especially the ending. If the next book is indeed the last one then I hope it is a bit longer than the others - there is far too much to wrap up in the typical length.

For a while I was going to stop buying them but I continued to see how it ended and a little glad I did. One of the few SW highlights in ages for me.

jedibear
01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I will also not ruin the end except to say this better not be the last one! I thought I'd read somewhere earlier last year that there were only nine books for this series. I hope that's not the case...I really enjoy this series and as Rocketboy commented, there is too much left hanging for just one more book, and yes, these are a real highlight for me!
I look forward to these more than the so-called "adult" books these days....

Rocketboy
01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I've read a few times that there will be 10 books in the series.
There is no way they could end the series the way they did in book 9.

Tycho
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
I just bought book 9 tonight. I won't be reading it for a while though.

I got Darth Bane: Rule of Two with it and I really enjoyed the first Darth Bane book, so that's what I'll be reading.

Meanwhile, I'm on a role with my own writing, so that delays everything else.

Oh, and there are so many characters in the LOTJ series now that it's my intention to re-read the whole thing once I have the chance.

I'm also starting to re-read New Jedi Order, which I prefer.

It's funny because I really like Jude Watson as a writer, but the Jedi Apprentice series (young Obi-Wan) was her best work. Jedi Quest was a step back (young Anakin) and I'm just not as into Last of the Jedi (Ferus Olin) though the concept is good.

So we'll see. Still she has my respect and admiration for being a great author.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I've read a few times that there will be 10 books in the series.
There is no way they could end the series the way they did in book 9.I also heard 10, and I felt the last chapter happened pretty quickly as well, so I'll need to wait a few months to see how it ends.

I'm a chapter into the next Darth Bane, too. My reading pace lately means I'll finish this one by June. :(

Banthaholic
03-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I finally picked up book 9 yesterday and read it in under a day, not that it's hard to do. Wow. I really can't wait for the finale in June, or earlier as this thread implies :)

I really hope they have a new series start. I don't know why but these younger reader book appeal to me so much more than a 450 page novel. I guess that timewise they fit my schedule as a longer book does not. I can easily put things off for a day or two to power read, but to get the time for a full novel never seems to happen and then I stop hald way through until whenever I get the urge (with few exceptions ie Darth Bane novels).

Tycho
03-02-2008, 11:40 AM
A lot of the larger novels are just stuffed with "filler."

Defined, that is "b-plots" that just add to the author's page count.

Having written a novel myself now, I can honestly say I can just NOT do that. My book turned out to be over 500 pages, and since I had to re-read it so many times now that I've practically memorized it - I had to make it exciting and action-packed, meaningful, and integral to the plot in every chapter. I cannot stand "filler."

Indeed I plan to write other books in the very near future, and some might be quite short - like 200 page stories. (Maybe - hard to imagine ME being brief right?)

But the Young Readers' series doesn't try to have large page counts and filler. Jude Watson gets to her plot points. That's why she's so good.

Amongst authors I admire is Terry Brooks. You probably remember he wrote TPM's novelization. Well, it was his Shanarra series of fantasy adventures that compelled me to read the longest books I ever have tackled - nearly 800 page novels. They were so exciting and good for every chapter, that I didn't care if the book ever ended. I just loved the adventure continuing. That influenced me a lot in my own writing.

I think that SOME of the Star Wars adult novels are just projects some authors get to help them advance their name, since SW titles are good sellers. Others may still be genuine fans, but they want that page-count. Tiring...

Amongst Star Wars' best adult novelists is James Luceno. He's really good:

Cloak of Deception
Jedi Trial
Jedi Eclipse
Labrynth of Evil
Dark Lord

OC47150
03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Read #9 over the weekend. It's good to see what Alderaan looks and feels like.

Can't wait until #10.

And, Tycho, as a writer, I can sympathize. I don't like to get too preachy and draw things out with filler or too many subplots.

There are masters out there, such as Jack Higgins. Thoroughly enjoy his books. And Alastair MacLean was a great storyteller, too.

Tom Clancy is one of the worst. And he's like two years overdue on his latest one. No big deal. He's lost his edge.

Darth Jax
03-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Finally picked up #9 (and Path of Two) last nite. Finished one of them already, shouldn't have to tell you which one. It might be awhile before i get to the other one.

i'm not looking forward to this series ending. Hopefully the powers that be have another time frame for Ms. Watson to tackle after book #10.

Rocketboy
05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
I picked up LOTJ #10 this week while on vacation and breezed through it.
A fairly satisfying, yet almost predictable ending with a few surprises (and one dumb one, IMO).
I'm just glad it is done. I haven't been into the story since book 4 or 5, but I wanted to see how it ended.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I picked up LOTJ #10 this week while on vacation and breezed through it.
A fairly satisfying, yet almost predictable ending with a few surprises (and one dumb one, IMO).
I'm just glad it is done. I haven't been into the story since book 4 or 5, but I wanted to see how it ended.Well, well, well. I just happen to have a 15% off coupon (combined with my regular 10% membership) and I might just have to stop by a bookseller to purchase this novel (cover price = 25% off). And, I have a hold ($.25) placed at my local library on the last Legacy novel. Reading the ends of two SW EU series? Priceless (monetarily speaking, of course... there is a cost in time spent, so spend it wisely :economisthumor: ).

Bel-Cam Jos
05-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks to Rocketboy's heads-up on LOTJ #10: Reckoning being out already. It's amazing what a 100+ degree Saturday afternoon does for you to promote reading on the couch for a tad more than an hour. I liked this one. Sure, any story fit into a continuity will have to be predictable (spoiler: no, Ferus does NOT kill Vader :p ), but I thought, as usual, Watson did a good job of fitting things together. I was actually shocked a couple of times. But in the end (pun intended), I was satisfied how this series was wrapped up.

Now, if my hold for Invincible is called in, then that's another series ender I'll get to soon.

OC47150
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I will have to look for it. It might be my Memorial Day reading.

jedibear
05-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks to Rocketboy's heads-up on LOTJ #10: Reckoning being out already... I was satisfied how this series was wrapped up...

I am very impressed with how Watson wrapped up this series, especially with what happens to the lead character, Ferus Olin.

I'm sad to see this series end, but I'm also glad it didn't get run into the ground. Unfortunately, that's kinda how I feel about the "main" EU series LOTF. Picked up "Invincible" and haven't even cracked the cover yet. I liked Traviss's books in that series best, followed by Alston (his character dialogue always "sounds" like SW, especially the classic characters), but Denning is always a bit a slog to get through. Well, I've got a long flight this week...guess I'll tackle it then.

But I am going to miss Watson's quick-n-fun reads...

Darth Jax
06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
My Borders still hasn't stocked book 10. i want to see how different the wrap-up is from what i imagine.

Tycho
06-02-2008, 03:15 AM
In spite of having loved Jude Watson's other series, I've never embraced LotJ as much as the other 2 series.

I really like the way she wrote for Obi-Wan.

I've been trying to re-read this series as well as NJO, but have made little progress. I think I'm burnt out.

I was much more interested in working on my own fiction and even re-reading it as many times as I had to in order to write it.

That forced me to keep it compelling and exciting!

OC47150
06-02-2008, 08:05 AM
My Borders still hasn't stocked book 10. i want to see how different the wrap-up is from what i imagine.

I picked up the last copy at the nearest Borders on Saturday. Should be done with it tonight or tomorrow.

OC47150
06-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I am very impressed with how Watson wrapped up this series, especially with what happens to the lead character, Ferus Olin.

I'm sad to see this series end, but I'm also glad it didn't get run into the ground.

But I am going to miss Watson's quick-n-fun reads...

I finished LotJ when I got home from work. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

For a while I thought I knew how it would end. I was wrong. :yes:

There were a couple of times where I thought the storyline was rushed, just to wrap things up.

But Jedibear is right: the story wrapped up in time and wasn't ran into the ground or ran out of steam before we knew what happened.

I wish someone would give Jude Watson the opportunity to write an adult SW novel. She's one of the best SW writers out there.

Banthaholic
06-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I read this over the weekend. Took me just a few hours, all in one sitting. The ending was a nice sendoff to the series, but I really hope there will be another Young Readers series out. Watson tied up alot of the characters she helped create over the years. I said it before but any book I can read in a day gets extra points. The 200 page limit is good for that. Especially if you know how to tell a story. Usually the addtl 200 pages is abunch of fluff to hit a page count.

jedibear
06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
...I wish someone would give Jude Watson the opportunity to write an adult SW novel. She's one of the best SW writers out there.

That is a splendid suggestion! I'd love to read a novel catching up with the cast of characters featured in these books around the time of Ep IV...could be interesting.

Tycho
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I finally found Last of the Jedi # 10.

It has Darth Vader on the cover.

He's a very bad guy.

It did something to rejuvenate my interest in this series. I may re-start re-reading it.

I liked Jude Watson's work before (especially Jedi Apprentice).

OC47150
06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
There's an interview with Jude Watson in the current Insider. Short yet interesting article. She's written 47 - 48 SW novels.

And unfortunately, nothing new on tap. :mad:

Tycho
06-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the info on that. I'd like to read what Jude Watson has to say.

She's incredibly talented!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2008, 10:32 AM
There's an interview with Jude Watson in the current Insider. Short yet interesting article. She's written 47 - 48 SW novels.

And unfortunately, nothing new on tap. :mad:Well, if you consider that:
Jedi Apprentice was 18 books (plus a hardcover).
Jedi Quest was 12[?] books (plus a hardcover).
Last of the Jedi was 10 books.

This is the author of whom I have read the most books in my life.

El Chuxter
06-27-2008, 01:21 PM
They should fire that Karen whatsherface who keeps writing about Republic Commandoes and is unable to do anything without making up a lot more silly baggage about Mandaloreans, and give Jude Watson all her assignments.

Seriously, has any supposedly awesome group become so uncool faster than the Mandaloreans?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Seriously, has any supposedly awesome group become so uncool faster than the Mandaloreans?Was it the Van DeLoreans? The series when spacers with HawkNorwegian accents had those cool time travelling durraluminum ships?

I thought about something... this series bascially began when E3 came out, which was just over three years ago. Ten decent books in the run (including a couple really good ones), totalling maybe 1400 pages total. But the Leaky of the Faucet goes seven books?

Tycho
07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm really enjoying my re-read / completion of The Last of the Jedi series.

I love how Palpatine has trapped Ferus Olin into becoming the first of his Emperor's Hands (just about - if not named as such already).

I also like how Jude Watson has incorporated so many of the movies' characters into the book now:

Captain Typho
Queen Apalaina
Boss Nass
Darth Vader
Emperor Palpatine
Boba Fett
Darhanhan (EU character known to have helped develop the young Boba Fett)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (of course)
Bail Organa
Princess Leia
Grand Moff Tarkin
Sly Moore
Mas Ameeda
Dexter Jettster

And I'm sure I left out some. Plus returning characters from her earlier series like Garen Muln and Fy-Tor-Ana, Bog Divian etc.

The Last of the Jedi series is much richer than I gave it credit for before. My preferred work of Jude Watson's is still the Jedi Apprentice series with Qui-Gon Jinn - that was extremely well-written. But Watson is very good at her craft!

Tycho
08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
SPOILER FOLLOWS:

It took me by complete surprise the way Vader just killed Roan Lands so suddenly, to provoke Ferus like that. Then when Ferus attacks him, Vader just arrests him and gives him back his lightsaber, directly saying "You're of no consequence to me."

The story's gotten incredibly riveting as Ferus infiltrates the EmPal Med Facility to try and uncover Darth Vader's origins.

It's a very bleak and dispairing storyline, which nevertheless can get very intense and exciting.

I hadn't read all of these before - I think because they were so bleak. But now I'm finding out once again that I never should doubt Jude Watson. She's a great story-teller.

Meanwhile, I still can't help but notice that you can interpret Ferus Olin to be a gay character and Roan Lands having been more than his business partner.

I think you can read these stories as going either way, but Ferus' strongest attachment was to Roan. There's no doubt left there.