PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that the new Early Bird set has opened the door for more Vintage repros?

General_Grievous
03-28-2005, 07:48 PM
I mean, it didn't really work ten years ago when Kenner rereleased vintage Luke, Han, Chewie and Vader in that POTF2 pack. Fans went crazy. But times are different now. The vintage Masters of the Universe rereleases from a few years ago seemed to do okay, and it didn't decrease the originals' value. I for one would love to see reproductions of the entire Power of the Force line, including Yakface, so I'd have a complete loose Vintage collection without having to pay insane prices. What do you guys think? Would you be okay with rereleased figures?

Turbowars
03-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Yeah I'd like a set of new Vintage. I was planning to start collecting Vintage after EP3 has come and gone.

LusiferSam
03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
:confused: What are you talking about? What "new" Early Bird set? :confused:

Personally I'm not in favor of rereleasing the vintage line. There are manys reasons and most of them are personal. Not that I should really care, I already have a complete vintage collection and am very happy with it. :D

ps I think this thread might already exist.

vader121
03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
I also would not be in favor or rereleases of vintage figures. I almost have the whole vintage set now and for the Toy Gods to rerelease them would not sit well with me after all that work.

Vintage figures have their place in history. Trying to rehash their allure is not wise. Instead of redoing what's already been done they should work on creating a new chapter in Star Wars toys. The way they have done it already with POTF2, POTJ, SOTE, EP!, EP2, etc. Many of these figures are better than the vintage figures in appearance, accessories, etc.

sith_killer_99
03-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, I'm all for it!

However, there are a few things Hasbro needs to keep in mind. First, these should be limited repros with current date stamps to keep the secondary market free of "fakes". Second they need to continue giving us new modern figures.

I know there are a lot of vintage collectors who are opposed to this idea, mostly because they fear it will bring down the value of their collection or somehow cheapen the vintage line.

The bottom line is, as long as there is a market for these "repros" Hasbro and Lucas will try to make a buck. And as long as it's got the Star Wars logo, I will probably buy it. :D

evenflow
03-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I am against it. It diminishes the value of the original line. Honestly I dont mean $ value, i mean the cool aspect of it. The joy of owning something unique froma specific time period. I really dont think they would do it anyway. I think that the kit itself is justa nod to the vintage collectors, but i would suspect that we will be getting some VOTC figures in a mailer like the original mail away figures.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2005, 07:20 PM
:confused: What are you talking about? What "new" Early Bird set? :confused:

Personally I'm not in favor of rereleasing the vintage line. There are manys reasons and most of them are personal. Not that I should really care, I already have a complete vintage collection and am very happy with it. :D

ps I think this thread might already exist.
Yeah, G_G, where's the info that there's a new Early Bird set? Spill the beans!

There is a thread about Vintage coming back because of OTC releases, but the fact that there could be another Early Bird makes this a different issue.

Slicker
03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Here's the link from RS (http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=90756). It's a WM exclusive for MM or something. $30 and you get a repro of the original Kenner Early Bird kit.:)

sith_killer_99
03-29-2005, 07:27 PM
And here's the SSG link:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31184

Where have you been BCJ? ;)

JON9000
03-29-2005, 10:44 PM
so can you send away for the actual figures? personally, I wouldn't mind a couple of prequel figs done vintage style.

Turambar
03-30-2005, 12:00 PM
When will we see the sculpts of these figures? I was under the impression these were new sculpts and not vintage repros. Either way, I'm not interested right now. Like Turbowars, I was thinking about collecting the vintage line in a few years, but I'd rather they were vintage and not repros for the reasons the rest of you have stated.
I think its a bad idea to make repros when there are lots of unproduced characters still and lots of modern figures that need updating (nien numb, bib fortuna, gam guard, leia & luke ceremonial, leia hoth, leia ewok celebration, han luke & leai endor and so on).
With the MOTU line there was nothing new with them at the time, and they were MUCH MUCH better than the new figures that came out; unlike with the SW line.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-31-2005, 07:38 AM
And here's the SSG link:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=31184

Where have you been BCJ? ;)
Down at Toshe Station, scrounging for some power converters. And thanks for so kindly pointing out that if there was a bright spot in the universe, that I've apparently been on the planet furthest from, s_k99. :p