PDA

View Full Version : Favorite kind of apple?

JediTricks
03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
I like good 'ol Granny Smith apples, they're tart, crisp, a friendly shade of green, have no bitter aftertaste, and are incredibly robust - you can leave them in the fridge for over a month without worries of degredation. They were discovered about 100 years ago by one Mary Ann Smith, an authentic grandmother who lived in Australia, she discovered a sapling which eventually bore this fruit growing from discarded French crabapple seeds.

Lately, I've also been picking up Pacific Rose apples, they're super cheap at Ralphs, 89 cents a pound, they're big apples, a pink color with yellow, they have a mellow flavor with a hint of tart and almost no aftertaste.

InsaneJediGirl
03-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I like Yellow Delicious apples.Slightly tart,but its got a nice sweet flavor the red apples cant seem to compare to.Second choice would be Granny Smith,for all the reasons listed above by JediTricks.

Darth Jax
03-28-2005, 10:50 PM
i've enjoyed all of them i've had. my fave would be my current G4 mac.

Slicker
03-29-2005, 03:47 AM
I myself am a fan of the Red Delicious. They're full of flavor, crisp, and they aren't small by any means. You've gotta have tons of salt too.:D

plasticfetish
03-29-2005, 04:56 AM
I enjoy a Fuji Apple from time to time, though we tend to always have a bag of Jonagolds in my kitchen. (BTW JT, chances are good that those Granny Smiths are lasting that long because they've been irradiated. :eek: )

mabudonicus
03-29-2005, 08:14 AM
mmmm Macintosh all the way, the more sour the better, I like thw way they "fizz" when you bite them if they're PERFECT :beard:

stillakid
03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
It's just like apple pie... :cool:

Kidhuman
03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Gotta go with the Granny Smith.

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I love Nashi apples. My wife, who used to live in Japan (where these things are a favorite), introduced me to these fellas a couple years ago and now I buy them all the time.

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
IJG, I had never heard of a Yellow Delicious before, so I just looked 'em up, says they're "Golden Delicious" (which I definitely have heard of) and that when the GDs were first cultivated in the early 1900s by a specific grower, someone stole snippings of their trees and grew their own, selling them as YDs - thus, a bootleg apple was born. :D

i've enjoyed all of them i've had. my fave would be my current G4 mac.I knew that was coming eventually. :p

Slicker, salt on an apple? Never heard of this. I know Mexicans put flavored salt on watermelons and such, but hadn't heard about salting apples before.

I enjoy a Fuji Apple from time to time, though we tend to always have a bag of Jonagolds in my kitchen. (BTW JT, chances are good that those Granny Smiths are lasting that long because they've been irradiated. :eek: ) Fujis, I am not sure I've ever actually had one, they're super shiny though, right?

I don't think radiation is the key for Granny Smiths, I've gotten some from farmers market that have lasted that long, they came off the tree that day. They're a robust fruit and put off nearly no ethylene gas (the stuff which makes fruit ripen and rot) when put in refrigerator temperatures. As long as you keep them fairly dry, they can survive for over a month without noticable changes - longer if you get them slightly unripe.

Mabs, I like macs too, but I don't recall any fizzing. What's the deal with that? I used to like really tart apples myself, to the point of eating unripe ones, but as I got older and am pushing 30, my stomach doesn't appreciate the extra work involved so I've cut back. ;)

Stilla, what is that, Fiona Apple? Tell her to go eat a hamburger! :p

Solo1138, I hadn't heard of those before, I looked 'em up, Nashis are actually Asian pears, which I have heard of. They're not cheap, huh?

All this apple talk made me go slice up a Granny Smith. :D Anybody else here a bit OCD about their apples like I am? Discolorations, ripeness issues, blemishes, and especially bruises turn me off, I'm super picky at the grocery store about my produce. The ones I picked up this weekend at Ralphs were particularly nice though as the produce guy was still unloading them from the case and they were all in great condition.

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I hadn't heard of those before, I looked 'em up, Nashis are actually Asian pears, which I have heard of. They're not cheap, huh?

Pears?! I was told they were apples. That's surprising. They look like and have the same consistency as an apple. I'll have to ask my wife again what I'm eating :D As for the cost, I couldn't even venture a guess. It's just automatic to grab 'em and put them in a bag. They're not especially pricey though.

Bobby Fett
03-29-2005, 06:37 PM
It's a toss up - I like Yellow and Red Delicious.

JT, I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned that at one time Calhoun County Illinois was the apple growing capitol of the world. Hardly a tree left now, though.

IJGSlicker, salt on an apple? Never heard of this. I know Mexicans put flavored salt on watermelons and such, but hadn't heard about salting apples before.

I thought everyone salted their apples! ;)

mabudonicus
03-29-2005, 07:02 PM
JT- dunno what makes them "fizz", but they do if they're at the perfect "stage"... and yes, when in this most excellent condition, they are MURDEROUS on the ol' alimentary canal, I can't really eat more than one before the consequences become inevitable

And I must admit, I too am really, really bad about fruit and blemishes- bruises on apples are somehow really bothersome to me, I will check out every one in a bag before taking one that doesn't meet my super-strict standards- as a matter of fact, there are 3 different bags each containing 1 or 2 apples in my fridge right now, since JediElf is the same way as me (she won't admit it but it's pretty darn obvious) and we both refuse to eat the ones we've both passed over a couple of times already...

stillakid
03-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Stilla, what is that, Fiona Apple? Tell her to go eat a hamburger! :p

There're enough fatties out there already. :cool:

JediTricks
03-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Pears?! I was told they were apples. That's surprising. They look like and have the same consistency as an apple. I'll have to ask my wife again what I'm eating :DYup, it's a pear. It goes by a bunch of different names, about half call it an apple, but it's from the pear family. These aren't the apples that have that foam stuff around them though, are they? Those cost a fortune at stores by me.

JT, I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned that at one time Calhoun County Illinois was the apple growing capitol of the world. Hardly a tree left now, though. I had never heard that before. I wonder what happened to cause the trees to disappear like that.

JT- dunno what makes them "fizz", but they do if they're at the perfect "stage"... and yes, when in this most excellent condition, they are MURDEROUS on the ol' alimentary canal, I can't really eat more than one before the consequences become inevitable Consequences at which end though? ;)

Glad to hear I'm not the only headcase about apple quality. :D

There're enough fatties out there already. :cool: And Fiona could act as their dental floss.

stillakid
03-29-2005, 09:07 PM
And Fiona could act as their dental floss.

After they sit on her and she vanishes into their enormous Big Mac laden bums, she won't be good for much anyway. :eek:

Turbowars
03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
It's just like apple pie... :cool:Got to love it Kid. I just wish she would have shut her big mouth so she would still be around today.

Back to apples, I worked at a Nursery for many years and the Asian pears where called 20th Century Pears. Damn good too, free at that. When I see them wrapped in foam at the store I always want to buy 1, but the cost makes me think again.

Red Delicious is my fave.

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2005, 09:53 PM
So my wife gets home from work and before I even ask her how her day was, I ask her what the hell a Nashi is. She looks at me like the biggest fool in the world and says, "A pear. Why?" Damn. I wonder what else I'm ACTUALLY eating?! Nevermind the great Brushetta recipe I posted. With my luck, it's not chicken but ACTUALLY pork rinds in it. :D

These aren't the apples that have that foam stuff around them though, are they?
A"pear"ently they're not apples at all (feel free to have me banned for that :D )! But no, they don't have foam stuff around them. Now that I think of it, the peel is somwhere between a pear and an apple. And it's a greenish-yellowish color.

Rocketboy
03-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I thought everyone salted their apples! ;)Ditto.
Maybe it's a regional thing.
Where area are you from BF?

InsaneJediGirl
03-29-2005, 10:46 PM
IJG, I had never heard of a Yellow Delicious before, so I just looked 'em up, says they're "Golden Delicious" (which I definitely have heard of) and that when the GDs were first cultivated in the early 1900s by a specific grower, someone stole snippings of their trees and grew their own, selling them as YDs - thus, a bootleg apple was born. :D

The wild world of agriculture.Didnt know that JT,very interesting:D

Salt on a apple?Never heard of it either.Sounds kinda gross:crazed:

Bobby Fett
03-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Ditto.
Maybe it's a regional thing.
Where area are you from BF?

Calhoun County, Illinois!

JT - The loss of the apple orchards was a result of the changing economy. Peaches and corn replaced the apples. BTW, 20 or 30 years ago the State of Illinois looked into the feasibilty of buying out the entire county and making it a state park. Evidently it wasn't economically feasible.

Kidhuman
03-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Salt on apples...:puke:

Rocketboy
03-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Calhoun County, Illinois!Well, CaptainSolo1138, Slicker, and I are all from Michigan, so maybe it is a regional thing.

Bobby Fett
03-31-2005, 02:00 AM
Well, CaptainSolo1138, Slicker, and I are all from Michigan, so maybe it is a regional thing.

Whereabouts in Michigan? I lived in Sturgis for about 6 months, several years ago. Pretty country, but too darned much snow!

Slicker
03-31-2005, 03:10 AM
We live in Saginaw (well, I'm in VA Beach but still representin' Sag-nasty:p).

CaptainSolo1138
03-31-2005, 11:34 AM
I lived in Saginaw until January, and now I'm reppin' Mount Pleasant.

kool-aid killer
03-31-2005, 03:40 PM
There is a store located at in a mall here in Omaha that serves specialty apples. I went into the store a couple of weeks ago and was suprised to see all the various caramel apples they had, some with a white cream with gummy bears attached to the outside, smores caramel apples, and just a dozen other types. I tried the gummy bear one and i was hooked. I plan on going back to buy about five more types someday soon (its located in a mall that i absolutely hate) because they were just some awesome apples. Nothing else compares these days.

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 05:23 PM
After they sit on her and she vanishes into their enormous Big Mac laden bums, she won't be good for much anyway. :eek:
Oh please, the girl weighs 30 pounds and half of that is designer clothes meant to look used. ;)

Back to apples, I worked at a Nursery for many years and the Asian pears where called 20th Century Pears. Damn good too, free at that. When I see them wrapped in foam at the store I always want to buy 1, but the cost makes me think again.Oh, so they ARE the ones wrapped in foam? Then I have definitely seen these and they're pricey by me, and I'm not sure I've ever eaten one or not.

So my wife gets home from work and before I even ask her how her day was, I ask her what the hell a Nashi is. She looks at me like the biggest fool in the world and says, "A pear. Why?" Damn. I wonder what else I'm ACTUALLY eating?!HA! She caught you off-guard with that response, huh? Don't be surprised if your breakfast involves Soylent Green. :D

A"pear"ently they're not apples at all (feel free to have me banned for that )! But no, they don't have foam stuff around them. Now that I think of it, the peel is somwhere between a pear and an apple. And it's a greenish-yellowish color.Oh man, that pun was BAAAD, not banning bad but perhaps flogging bad. ;)

In some supermarkets I've been to, they *sometimes* come in this weird foam lattice "sock" to keep their skin from getting wet or damaged - they're more a brownish color skin I think, here's a couple sites with details:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-asian-pear.html
http://www.freshmax.co.nz/intermax/products_nashi.asp
(second site mentions the "sock", but sadly I couldn't find a photo on the web of this crazy contraption)

Salted apples, that concept seems so odd to me. I guess because Granny Smiths are already pretty tart. Do you guys salt any apple, or just red ones?

IJG, if you think that's interesting, wait till you see the next James Bond film, centered around an orchard! ;) "Now Mister Bond, you will talk, or you will have to... SORT APPLES! BWAH HA HA!!!"

The loss of the apple orchards was a result of the changing economy. Peaches and corn replaced the apples. BTW, 20 or 30 years ago the State of Illinois looked into the feasibilty of buying out the entire county and making it a state park. Evidently it wasn't economically feasible. Peaches and corn? I had never heard of Illinois peaches before. Corn makes sense though, it takes up a lot more growing space but has a much faster yield time and higher yield-per-acre ratios and more uses than apples. I'm not surprised the state couldn't afford to buy an entire county, that's a funny idea though - like government-funded Disney World. :D

KAK, I love the *idea* of candy apples, but I can't eat them at all, it's too hard to use a stick to eat an apple, and difficult to break through the outer layer of candy and apple. I bought this one super-massive chocoloate apple monstrosity at Disneyland a few years ago, it was great but SO difficult to eat and half the toppings fell off. I prefer my candy apples in the sliced-drizzled variety now. ;)

Rocketboy
03-31-2005, 06:15 PM
I guess we (Slicker, CS1138, and I) are all former Saginaw, MI residents now, since I've moved to Bay City.

Bobby Fett
03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
JT, yes I salt any kind of apple. In case there's any doubt: the apples are sliced before they're salted.

I guess we (Slicker, CS1138, and I) are all former Saginaw, MI residents now, since I've moved to Bay City.

That's not much of a tourism endorsement if everybody moves away! ;)

JediTricks
04-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, it'd be silly to salt an uncut apple as the salt would just fall off the skin. :D Of course, if it was a fizzing apple... ;)

mastermatt24
04-02-2005, 12:00 AM
I have no idea why I read this thread but.. Asian pears are great! They are pricey but its worth it. I would recommend that you refrigerate it before you eat it. Try one!

JediTricks
04-02-2005, 01:46 PM
It's a hard thread to resist. ;) I think it's because so many folks eat apples, and as you can see here, there are green-eaters and red-eaters and even yellow-eaters already - it's part of the human experience. (how pompous did that sound? ;)) Apples are tasty, apples are a major fruit crop in my state (I read somewhere that California produces over 50% of the world's apples), and apples play a role in biblical history. Plus, if it weren't for apples, we wouldn't have the strangest dessert in the world, mock-apple pie (made with crackers?!?).