PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one here who hates the Lava Vader figure?

General_Grievous
03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
I mean, everywhere I look I see "I'll be picking up Lava Vader on Friday night" or "I hope I find a Lava Vader".

I have a question: What's the big appeal of Lava Vader? To me, it looks like the crappiest figure Hasbro's put out in a long time. This guy will probably go on ebay for hundreds of dollars, when I believe he should be rotting the pegs. It's a friggin POTF2 Vader painted red! Plus, it's kind of an EU figure, since Vader isn't coated in lava.

I will not be picking this up. I will choose the better, far more superior exclusive, the TRU Holographic Yoda. It's movie accurate and far better looking than the Lava Vader. Plus he's free with purchases over $25, whereas Vader costs $12.99, over twice theprice of a normal figure.

$12.99 seems like an awful lot for a cheaply done repaint. Who agrees with me?

Blue2th
03-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah it's a crappy figure I agree, but what are us completist to do? We have no choice but to be led by the nose to our fate of having every figure. As I read somewhere here "it's a sickness" that I myself am giving into one more time for the old Gipper. I just hope somehow I can get two. One to open for my loose collection, and one to pin on the wall. Pathetic isn't it? :crazed:

Clonetrooper1131
03-29-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't really hate it, I just don't really think it's too attractive. Let's put it this way, it's not something I'm going to get up at 6a.m. for just so I could have one.

Clonetrooper630
03-29-2005, 11:56 PM
i'm a completist therefore i'm cursed with having to get all figures

Fluke Skywalker
03-30-2005, 03:29 AM
If this weren't an "excluisve" I think the general reaction probably would've been "Eh, six bucks saved." but there's nothing like an exclusive to get a collector's blood pumping.

I really don't care for either of the two exclusive figures, so I'm lucky. Lava Vader looks like he's been hanging out with Jose Canseco. Is he a rehashed POTF II Vader or something?

I'm just not in the mood to stand outside of Target at 7:00 A.M. for the privilage of paying $12.OO or whatever for BALCO Vader.

Flyin_Solo
03-30-2005, 04:17 AM
It looks like a repainted throne room duel vader to me.

You know, the 3-pack with the decent luke, the ok vader and the useless palpatine. Good ol' POTF2.

2-1B
03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
HOW MUCH is it gonna cost, 12 bucks ?

I thought it was 6-7 . . . this will make me reconsider.

Slicker
03-30-2005, 01:21 PM
. Is he a rehashed POTF II Vader or something?I've heard that people are trying to fob it off as the VOTC one but if you've been collecting since at least 97 then you can easily tell it's the beefy POTF2 one. Regardless I'll be at Target early in the morning to get my hands on one.

DarthBrandon
03-30-2005, 01:33 PM
This one can rot on the pegs or on E-bay for that matter, I cannot justify the purchase or the repaint itself. I may purchase Yoda as he could be used in a few scenes, but Vader is just a poor excuse for an exclusive, it didn't even warrant my hard earned money the first time around.

El Chuxter
03-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Uh, guys, it's VADER! It doesn't matter what he looks like, I'm getting one! :p

TCC-1972
03-30-2005, 02:01 PM
You're not alone. I think it's stupid! Another stupid repaint. Makes me glad I stopped collecting the crappy small figures years ago!

General_Grievous
03-30-2005, 03:50 PM
I also forgot to mention that I am a completist, but this time my will power took over and I said enough is enough. IMO, this is worse than even the lamest Hasbro figures, even R5-D4 and all of the stupid pre-posed Saga figures like Outland Peasant Anakin, Shaak Ti and Luminara Unduli.

mm74md
03-30-2005, 03:55 PM

Uh, yeah. And the packaging is sweet. The figure itself is ok, but the packaging + starcase make it :cool:

dindae
03-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I see it as an extension of the silver line. I'm really hoping that MM won't be a let down for all the running around I'm going to do. I am going to TRU to make sure they are going to release on the 2nd, then go to wal-mart to see if I really feel like buying their exclusive and then to wake up and go to target to get a figure that at best will be ok.

CrossWizard
03-30-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't hate it but I don't want it either, at least not for $12.99. If it was a freebie like the TRU Yoda then bring it on, but $12.99 for a repainted old figure is lame.

BanthaPoodoo
03-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Found this on another forum, don't know if its true or not... I hope it isnt. Thats gonna suck because I see scalpers a plenty trying to get more than one....

"Hey guys. I am a toy dept manager at Target. We just got the inside details on Target's plans for 4/2. First of all, they are making a very big deal about the Target exclusive Lava colored Darth Vader figure. Here's the scoop. Every store will get 36-48 of these figures. That's it. Once you're out, you're out. They are expecting a large crowd to be waiting before we open for this figure, so they have given each store 50 claim tickets to be given to the first 36 or 48 people in line(depending on how many figures your store gets). These tickets are to be given out at 6:30 am. The figure itself will be $12.99 and is limited to 1 per guest. They are aware of the temptation of employees to pull this figure early for themselves or friends so the cases of figures are to be kept in the store manager's office once they are received off of the truck. They won't be in the warehouse with the rest of the toys. Lastly, the regular collection 1 and 2 figures will be priced at $5.99 but a special coupon for $1.00 off each figure bought on 4/2/05 will be sent to select guests(presumably those with a Target credit card). There is no limit on the coupon so you could get all 20+ figures for $4.99 each if you have the coupon."

BTW: Found a picture of it...

http://www.statueforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5416

Spinosaurus2004
03-30-2005, 11:53 PM
I am definitely not waking up at 6 in the morning to stand outside Target and wait for this Vader. I'll prob just go at 7 or 8 and go to Walmart or something.

JEDIpartner
03-31-2005, 08:23 AM
I just saw close-ups of the figure over at GH and the thing is piece of crap. It looks like someone sloppily sprayed metallic red and metallic yellow paint all over a POTF2 Vader. AWFUL!

stillakid
03-31-2005, 08:27 AM
When it comes to exclusives, whether they are retail or convention-types, it isn't about the figure. It's all about the packaging, especially if it specifically denotes that it is an exclusive in some way.

mm74md
03-31-2005, 08:39 AM
When it comes to exclusives, whether they are retail or convention-types, it isn't about the figure. It's all about the packaging, especially if it specifically denotes that it is an exclusive in some way.

Yeah, the packaging makes it. It looks silly loose. I really hope I can get one for me, my son, & nephew.

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/revenge_of_the_sith/exclusives/darth_vader_(lava_reflection)/001.jpg

Old Fossil
03-31-2005, 08:59 AM
Target can keep this exclusive, for once. They would have done better to offer a blue or yellow Clone Commander, if there is/will be such a thing.

Dark Marble
03-31-2005, 09:19 AM
Oh thank goodness, I am gald someone said it!!! I have been planning to go for this Vader for at least the last 3 weeks and the more I hear about it and the more I see of it the more disappointed I am about it. And with this whole dollar off coupon glut the least Target could have done was to give the dollar off coupon to the 32 to 48 slobs that had to get up 3 hours early to get this horrible repaint. An extra bonus for being there early. For me the real winners will be the ones with the coupon, not the ones with the Vader. If I go early on Saturday for this figure it will be in the vain hope that a coupon will be with it.................fat chance.

Darthmarc
03-31-2005, 09:46 AM
i'm a completist therefore i'm cursed with having to get all figures

We share the same disease...Remember Jorge Sacul from SW celebration 2? I paid like $75 for him on ebay...A few weeks later he was going for $10-$20. I saw him yesterday for $20 on Ebay...:eek:

I actually like the exclusives though...I enjoy the thrill of the hunt....:crazed:

Darth Takeo
03-31-2005, 02:03 PM
We share the same disease...Remember Jorge Sacul from SW celebration 2? I paid like $75 for him on ebay...A few weeks later he was going for $10-$20. I saw him yesterday for $20 on Ebay...:eek:

I actually like the exclusives though...I enjoy the thrill of the hunt....:crazed:
I paid $100...
:dead:

JEDIpartner
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
What's that saying, again... hmmmm-- let me think for a second... I think it's something like...

D'OH!

Hellboy
03-31-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm not to thrilled with the actual figure either but I will still buy one to keep packaged because of it being an exclusive. Plus like Chux said "it's VADER!" :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-31-2005, 04:08 PM
I really like this one. I don't think it looks too bad out of the package, but it looks really cool in it. I'm going to be there when Target opens to get it. The only drawback is its price, but I don't really care.

I wonder if you can use that coupon on it? That'd be cool, and would lighten the load a little bit.

Ji'dai
03-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Aside from the sour grapes of not being able to get a Vader since I don't have Target locally, I don't really care for the figure either.

It's like the Holographic Emperor. Had SWS.com sold it for $5-6 each I might've bought a couple. But no, they stick it in that protective plastic condom which effectively doubles the price.

I'd like to collect all the 3-3/4" made but I just don't think it's worth paying $10-13 each for figures in that scale.

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
I too am glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this thing looks not-so-cool, it makes me glad that I stopped being a completist back in '02, it's a dog, looks very sloppy and nonsensical - maybe if the reflection had been on a chromed black Vader, I would have gone for it, but this is just not good looking I think.

Holo Yoda doesn't do much for me either, shooting a figure in clear plastic isn't all that difficult, but at least it has some context and doesn't look so sloppy.

sith_killer_99
03-31-2005, 06:12 PM
makes me glad that I stopped being a completist back in '02

Yeah, the Saga line tended to have that affect on collectors. ;)

El Chuxter
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Saga line? Ha! For me it goes back to realizing I'd never, ever be able to get an Eopie.

JediTricks
03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah, the Saga line tended to have that affect on collectors. ;)
How ever did you guess? :D

Spinosaurus2004
03-31-2005, 11:00 PM
I've never really been a completist. I buy most of the figures but there's some that look so bad that I wouldn't want them to contaminate my other figures with their awfulness. And I don't need a trillion R2-D2s (although strangely enough I'll buy any other repainted R2 that does not have D2 after its name) or C3P0s, so that helps too.

MaquisWarrior
04-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Earlier I posted in a different area about this figure and how it looks like it was repainted by emotionally challenged five year olds; I would now like to appolgize to those five year olds I have insulted as well as the blind monkeys I was going to credit on this post originally!

JEDIpartner
04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I posted elsewhere that it looked like it was painted by a grumpy Helen Keller... ;)

SNAYSON
04-06-2005, 08:25 AM
it is a terrible reissue of a repainted figure. I'm a completist, so i did get it BUT what i will do is do is airbrush on my own using a different darth vader figure.

hestep99
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
It's ok, but for 13 they could have used more durable plastic for the protective case. It's less protective than air.

sumdumchum
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Not only are alot of people going for it, but they're paying $30, $40 and up to $50 on Ebay! Come on people it is an exclusive but why do that to yourself? It's a crappy figure and you might as well just make one (a better one) yourself with the POTF II vader. Snap out of it! :crazed:

tgr3328
04-06-2005, 10:33 AM
On April 2, not first thing in the morning, but mid-day, I went looking for figures. At two different Targets, I saw Lava Vaders on the shelf right next to the basic ROTS figures. Anyone could have picked up as many as they wanted, but they were still sitting there. The only reason I considered getting one was for trade or to sell it on eBay, but it just looked so uninteresting that I passed.

samskull
04-06-2005, 10:56 AM
A Jedi does not desire these things...

I will leave this one to those accursed completists and their hording pushers who seem to have bought them all in the first 30 minutes of store openings on April 2nd. But remember if you do NEED one buy from the Target website ($12.99) not some EBAY HORDER ($50 and counting!).

I can just look at my Final Dual Vader, pause a moment, then throw him back in the box of unworthy shelf clutter.

WesleySr
04-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Being a completionist, I had to have one. I am also an opener. After seeing this figure, I decided that it looks better unopened sitting next to my silver Darth Vader and Clone Trooper.

hestep99
04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah this one is definitly a display piece.

General_Grievous
02-23-2008, 04:50 PM
After three years and 35 more Vader repacks, do you still feel this way about him, Chux? :p

samskull
02-25-2008, 08:41 AM
HA HA HA!

Baby got back!