PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Early bird, any one get it

Joshkj
04-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I saw it online and im not sure I want to get it because its just not that cool but I was hoping one of you would tell me otherwise.

WesleySr
04-02-2005, 11:05 AM
I was told that none of the WM's in West Virginia would be receiving them. So, I ordered mine off of walmart.com.

DarthQuack
04-02-2005, 11:06 AM
I ordered mine this morning when someone else on the boards spotted it.

Kidhuman
04-02-2005, 11:10 AM
It was bogus. WHy spend 30 bucks for figures that will be twenty bucks when they come out?

Joshkj
04-02-2005, 11:13 AM
I thought they were vintage figs, I MAY get this, tell me if I shouldnt.

ronhudy
04-02-2005, 11:22 AM
It was bogus. WHy spend 30 bucks for figures that will be twenty bucks when they come out?

They're not being sold individually. Also, the kit includes:

* (1) Early Bird Certificate
* (1) Colorful Display Stand with Star Wars Picture
* (1) Star Wars Club Membership Card
* (1) Star Wars Sticker Sheet
* (1) Star Wars Hyperspace Trial Membership Certificate
* (1) Pre-Addressed Envelope

Not too shabby, and again, it's a more nostalgic item than anything else.

jedimarvin
04-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm hesitant to pick this up though. I can't help thinking that "updated" is going to end up meaning overused OTC versions of the Luke, leia Chewie and Artoo. I wish there was some more info about this set.

LusiferSam
04-02-2005, 01:13 PM
I thought they were vintage figs, I MAY get this, tell me if I shouldnt.
They can't be by definition. For those of you that don't know what vintage means please consult a dictionary.

I looked late this morning to see if my Wal-Mart had any. It was more out of personal curiosity rather than a desire to buy the thing. I didn't see any.

Joshkj
04-02-2005, 01:38 PM
By vintage I ment they are thhe same mold of the vintage ones :?

El Chuxter
04-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Man, that trial Hyperspace membership is especially tempting for those of us who are Hyperspace members and thus hardcore fans and the most likely to buy a piece of crap like this.

Sorry, without concrete proof that these will be new and worthwhile figures, I'll save the $30.

JediTricks
04-02-2005, 02:46 PM
The SW.com article said they were reproductions of the original '78 Kenner figs, which likely means more pressings of the molds Hasbro pulled from old vintage figs 10 years ago.

El Chuxter
04-02-2005, 02:50 PM
JT, do you have a link or the text? Searching sw.com can be a royal pain in the you-know-what. ;)

CooLJoE
04-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I grabbed one. The local WM must have had around 100 of these things and about 50 were picked from the shelves by the time I got there (which was about 1.5 hours after they opened. Not many people seemed too enthused about getting one. I saw a lot of people pick it up, discuss it with a friend or whatever, then put it down.

I'm almost tempted to return mine, but I have 30 days to decide that, and hopefully better information about the figures will be out before then.

LTBasker
04-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Found a Wal-Mart that carried them and they had a ton of'em, $30 was too rich for me though. Maybe later...

One thing that would be cool though would be to hang a packaged one on the wall and have the VOTC surround it.

Jedibill
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
My local Wal-mart had plenty of them around 50 or more, think i may be the only one who bought one because display was still full.

sith_killer_99
04-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Well, I opened mine and here direct form the "Early Bird Certificate" enclosed inside is what it says:

The attatched certificate entitles you to recieve updated versions of the first authentic set of four STAR WARS Action Figures!

So these will not be reproductions from the original molds! These are UPDATED versions.

The most accurate report I have read is that these will be the same first four figures that Hasbro will release for the next Star Wars line after the end of the ROTS line.

I have submitted an artice on the certificate along with a scan.

Ji'dai
04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
I bought two Early Bird kits at my WM tent sale. I'm a sucker for repro-vintage stuff. I've never subscribed to Hyperspace so the included trial membership is kind of a bonus for me.

I was one of the first dozen or so people to go in the WM tent this morning and the Early Bird was one of the first things people went after. But I later saw some put them back.

HomeLights
04-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Bought 10 of them - already re-sold 4 of them at $75 each. Nice!

WesleySr
04-02-2005, 07:21 PM
That's real nice to see a scalper on the boards, escpecially since you can still go on walmart.com and buy them for retail.

HomeLights
04-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Whatever people are willing to pay...If you get it for $30 good for you but if you can't get it and want it - you will pay what need to pay to get it.

BTW - just sold 3 more at $85 each.

My last 3 I will sell for at least $100

WesleySr
04-02-2005, 07:29 PM
But you bought 10 of them, with the intent of reselling them for an outrageous price. That makes you a scalper, and I, for one, despise you and your kind.

JON9000
04-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Where did you sell these, Homelights?

Slicker
04-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Whatever people are willing to pay...If you get it for $30 good for you but if you can't get it and want it - you will pay what need to pay to get it.

BTW - just sold 3 more at $85 each.

My last 3 I will sell for at least $100 So does that mean I should've put my Lava Vader on Ebay for $150 because I just sold it to a fellow collector that couldn't get one for, get this RETAIL PRICE:eek::eek: I know blasphemy. Who am I to help out.:rolleyes:

If anyone needs one don't waste your money with him. Just PM me and I'll pick one up at RETAIL PRICE as my WM has plenty of them.

If I went overboard my bad but this stuff just p**ses me off. Did you really think that people would say "Whoa, good job of sticking it to people on that":rolleyes:

Kidhuman
04-02-2005, 08:45 PM
I hope you enjoy ripping off other collectors.

bobafrett
04-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I bought one, but what I found was outrageous was a guy came in asking if we had any, I showed him the display where they were, and he says "I gotta call this guy, he wants me to buy ALL of them", and I said "At thirty bucks each?", and he replies, "That's what I need to talk to him about" He ended up buying a bunch, but we still had plenty left when I got off of work this evening.

Agent23
04-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Friggin' ridiculous. Like I said in my post in another thread. This is the kind of stuff that sucks. The "genuine collector" gets the old screw job. I wanted the Lava Darth Vader for my collection, as I am a big Darth Vader fan. But, there were none left.

And, I am sure that most of them went to scalpers like HomeLights who could care less about the hobby of collecting and just want to make money on collectors. :frus:

Kiss mine.

DarthQuack
04-02-2005, 09:10 PM
We all know each other and know who real collectors and scumbags (if I can't write that just edit it for me).

Dark Annie
04-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Wow. You scalpers make me sick. I didn't recieve the stupid early bird thing that i arrived 4 hours early hoping to get. And I missed the Lava Vader that I was also very intent on getting. But there is no way I would ever buy one of these things from a scalper, even though i'm upset that i didnt get them. Just take all of the fun out of collecting toys why don't you. You scalpers must have no ethical or moral values whatsoever. Sick, sick, sick...

sith_killer_99
04-02-2005, 10:44 PM
If you think that's bad, just consider how all those people who bought one from Ebay will feel when they realize they have no original reciept to send in with the certificate! :eek:

WesleySr
04-02-2005, 10:47 PM
If you think that's bad, just consider how all those people who bought one from Ebay will feel when they realize they have no original reciept to send in with the certificate! :eek:

I wonder if they printed out the item page and sent it in, would that work?

sith_killer_99
04-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Hehehe, I guess they'll find out. ;)

Dark Annie
04-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Does anyone know how much longer the early bird thing should be on Walmart .com? Im still not sure its worth $30 yet. I want it bad, but i already have to spend alot for the other stuff im buying. And also, if i do get it, is it worth NOT sending in so that i can keep it all unopened and intact? I dunno wut to do with it if i get it.

Kidhuman
04-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Until they sell out...

Reefer Shark
04-02-2005, 11:25 PM
I bought one from WM.com earlier today. A printed invoice, or the packing slip better work or I will be PO'd!!

dvader654
04-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Can anyone please tell me what is the symbol on the bottom right side in the front of the Early Bird case. Its on that black strip, if you see where it says 1 of 50,000, go striaght right and you will see the logo. I cant tell what it is from the picture, any help would be nice.

Dark Annie
04-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Until they sell out...
Until they sell out...

Yeah i figured something like that. Stupid question. But to anyone who has it: Is it worth getting? Is it that popular that it should sell out tommorow? maybe i should just by the stupid thing now.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
04-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Just curious, is the plastic case sealed around? Or can they be snapped open and shut?

Dark Annie
04-03-2005, 12:56 AM
I just broke down and ordered one at walmart.com. I hope there isnt any trouble sending receipts because its from the online store.

darthzirock
04-03-2005, 01:55 AM
This reprisantation of Homelights(or all scalpers) vs. Us the SSG member an collector
can be looked at in two ways, what we would do if we met you or how we feel abouut you

Homelights is the thrower of the burito and we (SSG/collecters) are the person hit buyy the burrito
Sprechen zie Anglais?

Anyway ... I'm not sure which is more reprehensible: a scalper selling these for 2 or 3 times retail price, or some idiot paying that much when they are still readily available at Wal-Mart.com (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3661660&cat=4171&type=5&dept=4171&path=0%3A4171). The Wal-Mart I was in tonight still had literally dozens of them left, too. They are not impossible to find, my friends!

Fluke Skywalker
04-03-2005, 04:11 AM
I ordered mine off Walmart.com, but I don't know how it will work recipt wise. I just bet this is going to be a pain in the rear. Hopefully you can just stick the invoice with it. Don't know if Hasbro or Walmart would be best place to check on this. :confused:

I can't wait! It's been a long time since I've mailed away for anything like this! :D

stillakid
04-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Sprechen zie Anglais?

Sprechen Sie Deutsches? ;)

Es ist, "Sprechen Sie Englisch?" Aber ich verstehe Ihre Absicht. ;)

sith_killer_99
04-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Just curious, is the plastic case sealed around? Or can they be snapped open and shut?

It is well sealed, it took me 10 minutes just to get the thing out of the plastic. :crazed:

JON9000
04-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I just broke down and ordered one at walmart.com. I hope there isnt any trouble sending receipts because its from the online store.
Your item will come from Wal-Mart with an invoice. If you send this in with the certificate you should have no problem.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
alright, this is my first and only warning: knock it off with the scalper bashing. Everybody has their own feelings/thoughts towards scalping and its practice and it is not to be discussed in a thread dealing with the WM Early Bird special.

One more post on the matter and i shut the thread down.

dvader654
04-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Again please, can anyone tell me what is the symbol on the bottom right side in the front of the Early Bird case. Its on that black strip, if you see where it says 1 of 50,000, go striaght right and you will see the logo. I cant tell what it is from the picture, any help would be nice.

sith_killer_99
04-03-2005, 12:23 PM
It is very faint, but it says Order 66 and is shaped in a quarter circle.

I hope that helps. ;)

dvader654
04-03-2005, 12:24 PM
OMG, THANK YOU. I think I got it!!!

dvader654
04-03-2005, 12:30 PM
One last question, that symbol to the left of the word "Includes" on the bottom left of the front of the early bird package. Do you recognize it from anything, it looks like a strange target like thing, does it mean anything to you guys.

Slicker
04-03-2005, 12:30 PM
My WM still had tons of the Early Bird Kit as of this morning. I don't see this thing being overly tough to find unless that is you don't have a WM near you that did the tent sale.

sith_killer_99
04-03-2005, 12:37 PM
One last question, that symbol to the left of the word "Includes" on the bottom left of the front of the early bird package. Do you recognize it from anything, it looks like a strange target like thing, does it mean anything to you guys.

Nope, I think it's just there for decoration, not really SW related.

dvader654
04-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Nope, I think it's just there for decoration, not really SW related.

It is the last code I need to figure out is that symbol, I dont think its SW related either, even the official rules to the game says the symbol may or not relate to SW.

Joshkj
04-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Man, SW collectors are the biggest suckers...they'll pay anything for anything they this they have to have...

That is extreamly untrue. If I absolutly need something I do my research and eventually find a fellow collector who is cool who trades me or sells it to me at a fair price :neutral:

Turbowars
04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
alright, this is my first and only warning: knock it off with the scalper bashing. Everybody has their own feelings/thoughts towards scalping and its practice and it is not to be discussed in a thread dealing with the WM Early Bird special.

One more post on the matter and i shut the thread down.You know I think you better rethink about what this site is about. It's about collecting not scalping and having a scalper talk crap about the community of collectors that keep this site going. If you get some time from locking threads and deleting posts take a look at this post.
HomeLights (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/member.php?u=6631) vbmenu_register("postmenu_384382", true);
Registered

Re: Walmart Early bird, any one get it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JON9000
Where did you sell these, Homelights?

Luckily I sold them locally. No shipping involved - pure profit!

BTW I sold 2 of the last 3 I had for $110 each and the last one - someone is interested at $150 - I explained about how rare they were - and how people didn't scoop them up back when they first came out. I also told them not to open them and redeem the certificate - the ones that are unopened will be more valuable and you will able to buy the 4 figures down the road anyhow.

Man, SW collectors are the biggest suckers...they'll pay anything for anything they this they have to have...

Beast
04-03-2005, 06:02 PM
He's just a troll....

I don't even buy half the bullcrap he's spewing. He's just trying to get under the skin of fans here. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

WesleySr
04-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Homelights, why don't you just leave. It is very obvious that noone wants your type here. I don't see why any of the moderators don't kick him out of here.

HomeLights
04-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey Homelights, why don't you just leave. It is very obvious that noone wants your type here. I don't see why any of the moderators don't kick him out of here.

Maybe because I am good friends with the webmaster and enjoy yanking everyone's chain. Do you see how seriously you are taking this - ??

Turbowars
04-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah I bet Steve will find this very funny. How about it Steve?:rolleyes:

BTW on the box it says this about the Luke figure,

Luke Skywalker with lightsaber which slides out of its hand held case ready for action

So I guess these will be Vintage style figures.

It also say this about the rest

Leia with her special star puffs hairdo, and laser pistol like the one she used in the movie.

R2-D2 with removable legs (WTF for????)and a head that clicks as it turns around.

Chewy with special laser riffle and ammo belt across his chest

I think the R2 leg deal is a typo, what do you all think?

WesleySr
04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
After really thinking about this, I am very mad.

HomeLights started a thread entitled "Did you see all of those SW geeks?" (or something like that). In that thread he insulted the collectors whom he saw at WM climbing all over each other to get to the figures. The thread was closed because someone called HomeLights something and the moderator said that personal attacks were not allowed. But here he is personally attacking the entire SW Collecting Community in this thread. He is insulting the collectors and bragging about ripping off the less informed people around him.

So, to the moderator that closed the thread, if you are reading this, then why have you not done something to HomeLights. Do the right thing and ban him. And if you are considering deleting my post or closing this thread too, consider this. This is not a personal attack. This is simply my opinion and it is my first amendment right to speak it.

Darthmarc
04-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Luckily I sold them locally. No shipping involved - pure profit!

BTW I sold 2 of the last 3 I had for $110 each and the last one - someone is interested at $150 - I explained about how rare they were - and how people didn't scoop them up back when they first came out. I also told them not to open them and redeem the certificate - the ones that are unopened will be more valuable and you will able to buy the 4 figures down the road anyhow.

Not a scalper basher....But dude you are a tool. Ripping people off and bragging about it on a SW collector MB? You should be banned.

The bad thing is, without the purchase receipt-no figures for them....:mad:

Beast
04-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Maybe because I am good friends with the webmaster and enjoy yanking everyone's chain. Do you see how seriously you are taking this - ??
Yeah... and I'm great friends with George Lucas. Him and I are here smoking doobies and watching Episode 1. Jar Jar is a real crack up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
04-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Homelights here is just trying to get under everyone's skin, and it looks like it's working. Hell we all know there's scalpers out there, and for all we know this person could be making the whole thing up anyways.

Either way, explaining things or arguing with him/her will get you nowhere. This person is obviously feeding off your reactions at this point. If Homeboy's posts really bother you, just put Homey on your ignore list.

Joshkj
04-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Back on topic

R2-D2 with removable legs (WTF for????)and a head that clicks as it turns around.

DUDE this is for the jedi starfighhters !!!!!!

Hasbro is wisening up!

Im so going to get one of these now :)

JediTricks
04-03-2005, 11:41 PM
JT, do you have a link or the text? Searching sw.com can be a royal pain in the you-know-what. ;)Yeah, JJB found it actually:
http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/hasbro/news20050329.html
And, for a limited time only, collectors will be able to purchase (while supplies last) the Wal-Mart "Early-Bird" Exclusive - classic reproductions of the first four original Star Wars action figures from 1977.

BTW on the box it says this about the Luke figure,
Luke Skywalker with lightsaber which slides out of its hand held case ready for action
So I guess these will be Vintage style figures.
It also say this about the rest
Leia with her special star puffs hairdo, and laser pistol like the one she used in the movie.
Chewy with special laser riffle and ammo belt across his chest Except for that Luke entry, these all could be describing the VOTC figures. R2 has a removable 3rd leg and clicking dome, Chewie has his blaster and removable bandolier, and that Leia description could be almost any Leia ANH figure over the past 30 years.

El Chuxter
04-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I believe it says "moveable" legs, not "removeable."

The more thought I give to this, the more it sounds like these are not new figures.

There are 50,000 total. Quite a few of these will be scalped, and the coupon requires an original receipt. So there will be no figures for those. Many more will never be opened, either by collectors who want to keep them intact or by idiots who hope to pay for their kids' educations with them in a few years.

So we're looking at, what, maybe 20,000-30,000 actual redemptions, tops?

Has Hasbro ever produced original figures for such a small production run in the midst of renewed collecting frenzy? Nearly all the exclusives in the past few years have been repaints or kit-bashes of existing figures. Lava Vader, Holo Yoda, the Silver Edition figures, Jorg Sacul, most of the Jedi Council sets, you name it.

Even on the very off chance they do produce new figures, they almost have to make 50,000 just in case every single Early Bird Set is purchased and redeemed. What happens to the overrun in that case? Do you think they'll just throw them out, or find some way to make money off them?

I'm willing to save my $30 on the expectations these are existing figures.

Scackmgack
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
A quick comment on scalping before this thread gets closed...

If you want to get upset with scalpers for taking stuff out of stores in your area, thereby preventing you from getting them for your own collection, that's one thing. But that is the ONLY appropriate reason to get mad at them, and even then, you would have to know who they are.

The very idea that scalpers "rip people off" is ridiculous, folks. Step away from your Star Wars fandom (which I share) and look at this for a moment - no one FORCES people to buy Star Wars figures on EBay. And more often than not, the very same figures people buy on EBay can be purchased at an online store for a much lower price, or simply waited for until the quantities in stores increase.

Therefore, the people who are paying ridiculous prices for figures on EBay:

1) Have the money to blow.
2) Think it is worth paying the extra money to have the figure earlier.

So-called "scalpers" cannot take advantage of anyone - it simply is not possible, ESPECIALLY on EBay. The market determines the price, NOT the seller. If the opening bid is too high, people will not bid. Once people start bidding, they are in 100% control of what they decide to pay.

Can someone explain to me in cold, emotionless logic, with no references to your personal feelings on the matter or any references to whatever inconvenience a scalper may pose to you in your collecting, what, then, is wrong with "scalpers," precisely?

If it wasn't for scalpers, I would have no Ephant Mon. Period. I couldn't find any in stores around here, because Boston always seems to get screwed for shipments, so I turned to EBay. I paid $20 plus shipping for him. I paid FIVE TIMES what the figure would have cost me in a store. Should I have been outraged? Should I have shaken my fist at the person who sold me the figure and said "You damned scalper, if you hadn't bought this in the store I might have gotten it off the peg!"

Of course not. That would be ridiculous. But that's almost how I see people treating so-called "scalpers" on here, which is just as ridiculous.

Unless you personally know the scalper on here and KNOW for a fact that they have been taking things off pegs in stores YOU frequently go to, their scalping has nothing to do with you, and there are members of the larger Star Wars collecting community far outside these message boards who probably thank thier lucky stars that there are secondary markets like EBay which allow them to get the hard-to-find figures and collectibles they would otherwise never get.

CooLJoE
04-04-2005, 10:51 PM
As much as I see you're point about being able to go to eBay and get the figure you need, thats only a handful of sellers that sell the "much wanted" figures that low (although I don't think Ephant Mon was one of them, so its not a good comparison IMO). Most times the eBay auctions are thrown up immediately after the figure is released (or even before release) and is started at overblown prices because they know that since most of the scalpers took the figures from the shelf, that us collectors may have to resort to their price point just to get that "much wanted" figure. Basically, they cause us to spend that much, because they swooped in and took as many as they could find. Its a cycle. We want it, they swoop in and take them all, which forces us to look to eBay for the easiest (not cheapest) chance of getting said items, and due to the high prices we have no choice but to pay it.

The problem with them is they do this because they known they can make money off the figures, which makes them scalpers....look up the definition if you aren't sure. Here's the definition for you:

scalper

n : someone who buys something and resells it at a price far above the initial cost; "he got theater tickets through a scalper"

Lets see; they buy the item and sell above the initial cost....so yup....scalpers they are.

Also, another big issue with them is that they don't NEED to take them and sell them. To scalpers: GET A REAL JOB. If they didn't come in and take all the clone troopers or other hard-to-find items, we wouldn't necessarily have problems getting what we need (you know....the actual collectors). Heck, even the kids, who deserve to get the figures the most, would have a better chance.

I'm quite sure that you'd have been much happier spending $5 for that Ephant Mon instead of $20. And you could have, had all the scalpers not swooped through your local stores and swiped them all up (aside from what the local collectors got). I'm not saying its definite that you would have got one locally had scalpers not existed, but its a better chance you would have.

my $0.02

stillakid
04-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Um, yeah. There's a distinct difference between filling a need and creating the need then filling it. I KNOW that in my area, scalpers routinely clear the pegs with whatever they deem worthwhile then turn around to hawk their booty either online or in one of the many local comic book type shops around. Years ago during the Tickle Me Elmo fiasco, I recall NBC doing a story on what they called "Toy Brokers." These guys had the audacity to talk on camera with straight faces and claim that they were just filling a need. And the NBC reporter didn't bother to call them on it. To them, it was all just kinda "cute" probably because, afterall, it's just toys. Had the story centered around sports or concert tickets, I'm sure that the overall tone would have been more investigative.

So anyone arriving at a special event, be it Midnight Madness or a Convention, with the express purpose of obtaining merchandise so that it can be resold at a profit is by definition a scalper. Regardless of how anyone personally feels about scalpers, they are merely opportunists, capitalizing on someone else's desires to further their own ends. Now that somehow does define everyone's normal job, but where scalping crosses the line is that it CREATES the need UNNECESSARILY, then justifies the high prices in any way it can (ie, they pay it therefore the market demands it...or the more disingenuous, "they couldn't get it if I didn't provide it.") The same sort of approach was used by early internet web domain name squatters who claimed that they were just "protecting" those web names for those who really needed them. Of course those who needed them could purchase the name for a price. Guido in the old neighborhood used to run the same scam, only they called it "protection." Any way you slice it, scalping is just unethical by anyone's standards. I've bought stuff from scalpers before, but only because I couldn't find it at retail. And why couldn't I find it at retail? Because scalpers created the shortage. Simple as that.

BigBuck71
04-04-2005, 11:46 PM
I got it. It was so great seeing that exact Early Bird kit packaging I'd seen as a boy of 7 years-old when it originally came out. I mailed off my POP, entry form and original receipt today for it. I'm looking forward to getting the four figures whether or not they're resculpts or just reproductions of the original "vintage" figure molds. My Wal-Mart had a pallet full of them on Saturday when I dropped by there for the 48 hour sale. I think it's well worth the close to $30.00 I paid for it. I got a free three-month trial to the Hyperspace section of www.starwars.com , and the four figures, and of course the great repro of the original kit packaging. All in a nice protective clambshell too. :D

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 02:36 AM
I believe it says "moveable" legs, not "removeable."Yeah, I just looked at a close-up image of the box, you are totally correct.

Can someone explain to me in cold, emotionless logic, with no references to your personal feelings on the matter or any references to whatever inconvenience a scalper may pose to you in your collecting, what, then, is wrong with "scalpers," precisely?Scalpers do not order product from Hasbro or Diamond, instead they get their product by taking it out of the mainstream retail market which hurts the line by lessening casual-collector interest from their increase in frustration at not being able to find certain figures. Also, many scalpers in my area convince stores to sell them entire cases (either by bribing employees or claiming "look at how many figures you are selling at once, I am making your job easier"), thus artificially inflating aftermarket prices by making entire waves more difficult to find, and if that wasn't bad enough, many of these same scalpers who get entire cases from stores eventually realize some of the figures in that case are pegwarmers and worth nothing on the aftermarket, and often convince stores to give the scalpers their money back on those unsellable figures, thus flooding that retail store with even more old pegwarmers they can't get rid of. Scalping also affects how the store employees deal with regular collectors, some employees knowing they have to hoard from these collectors to get their bribes while others unsure of which collectors are trustworthy and treat them all a little worse; some chains have severely altered policies to deal with scalpers which in the end has hurt their overall business since those policies impact collectors which the stores don't realize are a large part of their income. All of this factors into higher prices for collectors, more frustration for collectors, less general market interest which hampers the future of the hobby, more pegwarmers to deal with, and more costs for stores which puts them at further risk and makes them consider buying less Star Wars at the next order.

Unless you personally know the scalper on here and KNOW for a fact that they have been taking things off pegs in stores YOU frequently go to, their scalping has nothing to do with you... In fact I do know them, I have spent almost a decade talking to the scalpers in my area at my various stores and at a very popular weekly collectors show, learning their routes and their tricks, listening to them brag about how they hurt our hobby, and paying attention to the after-effects of what they do. I have seen how their actions impact my own collecting in the short and longterm effects as well as those who live by me, have seen how their actions have affected honest dealers who go through proper channels to get their products, have even seen how local scalping has affected larger-scale collecting. Scalping hurts everybody except the scalper's wallet, they tell you they're charging more to pay for their gas and time, but if they hadn't hoarded all the product in the area in the first place, they wouldn't need to be paid for their gas and time. Scalping is illegal in most areas, but it doesn't get any attention unless it's tickets at a big concert, and ebay has made it even harder to tell the scalper from the collector since the scalper no longer has to sit in front of the store and sell the products he just got there out of his trunk (heck, there are a few TRU stores by me that have collectors stores within sight of the TRU, 1 in the same parking lot, and you can see the scalpers walking out every day with new product and take it right into their stores).

sith_killer_99
04-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Has Hasbro ever produced original figures for such a small production run in the midst of renewed collecting frenzy? Nearly all the exclusives in the past few years have been repaints or kit-bashes of existing figures. Lava Vader, Holo Yoda, the Silver Edition figures, Jorg Sacul, most of the Jedi Council sets, you name it.

Even on the very off chance they do produce new figures, they almost have to make 50,000 just in case every single Early Bird Set is purchased and redeemed. What happens to the overrun in that case? Do you think they'll just throw them out, or find some way to make money off them?

I'm willing to save my $30 on the expectations these are existing figures.

I thought this issue had been resolved!

These will be 4 brand new "updated" figures!

These will be "Early Bird" kits of the new line due out at the end of the ROTS line.

In other words, if you just want the figures, save your money and buy 'em when they hit the store for whatever Hasbro will call their line of 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figures after ROTS. If however, you are a MIMP collector or a variation hunter...or you just want something kinda unique in your collection, then this is it.

I hear a lot of folks griping about the cost..."I'll just buy the 4 figures at retail for $20.00 whenever the new line comes out" or whatever. That's cool, but don't forget, part of the cost of this set includes shipping. Also, there is no guarantee that the cost per figure will be at the $5.00 price point when the new line hits.

The way I look at it, I would pay the same price...or more...if I bought my figures at KB Toys. :rolleyes:

But seriously, it's really just a cool retro package, which....IMO is in keeping with Hasbro's 2004-05 OTC/VOTC fetish. Which I enjoyed immensly! ;)

Scackmgack
04-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Jeditricks, I want to thank you, most honestly, for your response to my question. That was precisely what I was asking for.

The bribing and the purchase of whole cases is pretty much what sticks in my craw, personally - that is what defines "scalper" to me. Someone who drives around all day looking for product to sell isn't a scalper in my definition. If he is in the same boat we are, looking for stuff on the pegs, then he's a businessman, as much as his business may get in my business, and I cannot fault him for it.

I don't understand how scalping hurts the line, though, considering that Star Wars figures haven't gone anywhere in a decade...

In the end, my asking the question about what was wrong with scalpers was a reaction to the vehemence some people react to scalpers with. I don't think they deserve to be told they are scum or whatever other insults people want to throw at them.

In the end, these are toys. We should all thank God that the worst problem we may have on a given day is not being able to find that Star Wars figure we're looking for because a scalper took it. I just can't get behind how bent out of shape people get over scalpers. When I was a kid I did it, and of course I have the benefit of age here, but I don't think it is worth getting mad at scalpers. Most of the admittedly-limited fighting I see over scalpers is started by someone throwing out their opinion on scalpers. It's not worth it.

I still disagree that scalpers force anyone to pay higher prices, though. If the price is too high, don't buy it. If people stop buying from scalpers, scalpers will stop scalping.

The people the anti-scalpers should be angry at aren't the scalpers, but the people who purchase from the scalpers. No industry survives when the profit dies out of it.

Thanks again for your answer, Jeditricks. Very well thought-out and written. It is appreciated.

Reefer Shark
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
The way I look at it, I would pay the same price...or more...if I bought my figures at KB Toys.

You're right about that. I ordered 4 ROTS figures from KBToys.com last night - it came to $32.52. My WM order was around $38 total, but KB didn't charge tax so it's pretty close.

stillakid
04-05-2005, 10:35 PM
The bribing and the purchase of whole cases is pretty much what sticks in my craw, personally - that is what defines "scalper" to me. Someone who drives around all day looking for product to sell isn't a scalper in my definition. If he is in the same boat we are, looking for stuff on the pegs, then he's a businessman, as much as his business may get in my business, and I cannot fault him for it.

I don't understand how scalping hurts the line, though, considering that Star Wars figures haven't gone anywhere in a decade...

In the end, my asking the question about what was wrong with scalpers was a reaction to the vehemence some people react to scalpers with. I don't think they deserve to be told they are scum or whatever other insults people want to throw at them.

In the end, these are toys. We should all thank God that the worst problem we may have on a given day is not being able to find that Star Wars figure we're looking for because a scalper took it. I just can't get behind how bent out of shape people get over scalpers. When I was a kid I did it, and of course I have the benefit of age here, but I don't think it is worth getting mad at scalpers. Most of the admittedly-limited fighting I see over scalpers is started by someone throwing out their opinion on scalpers. It's not worth it.

I still disagree that scalpers force anyone to pay higher prices, though. If the price is too high, don't buy it. If people stop buying from scalpers, scalpers will stop scalping.

The people the anti-scalpers should be angry at aren't the scalpers, but the people who purchase from the scalpers. No industry survives when the profit dies out of it.

Thanks again for your answer, Jeditricks. Very well thought-out and written. It is appreciated.

Ah the truth comes out. You don't see anything wrong with it because you're one of them.

Here's the problem with your little perfect scenario. If an honest collector simply can't find what he's looking for at retail price and he really wants it for the good of his collection (an honorable request, no?), then he has no choice but to look where the merchandise is. And if the only suppliers left after the retail markets have been cleaned out are scalpers, then what choice does he have? True, he can refuse to pay their prices but then he has a gap in his collection. So he doesn't really have a choice if the point is to have a complete collection. And if part of the reason that he can't find what he's looking for at retail is because scalpers purchase with the express purpose of reselling at a higher price, then that is fundamentally unfair to the collector and we might even argue that it is unethical. Don't get me wrong, what you're suggesting is essentially the same policy that the US has with kidnappers. Don't give them what they want and hopefully they'll stop kidnapping people. Fair enough, except in the meantime, until the bad guys get the point, a whole lot of people wind up dead. Naturally, toy collecting isn't that extreme, but the situation is similar. A collector may win the war against scalpers in the long run, but in the meantime, they lose out.

And I got a chuckle out of your insistence that because these are just toys, it shouldn't be a big deal. Perhaps you ignored my own well thought out post which followed your request to a T which addressed this very same excuse of yours. In many places, the scalping of sports or concert tickets (on site) is illegal, but because these are "just toys," somehow it's just cute and not a "big deal."

You're argument appears to be sound, but when looked at closely, it is full of holes. Happy scalping! :dis:

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 11:38 PM
I don't understand how scalping hurts the line, though, considering that Star Wars figures haven't gone anywhere in a decade... I can't tell you specific instances, but there have been some items that never made it to market in part because of the actions and influences of scalpers. Also, there are some major retail chains who now won't take back legitimate returns because of scalpers, and who won't stock certain items because of scalpers. It's so really sleazy and parasitc, scalpers don't offer anything to the collecting community, they only take away from it both in physical items from REAL retailers' shelves and in the spirit of the hobby. Keep in mind, the items on those retailers shelves were meant to get into the hands of collectors, scalpers aren't businessmen, they don't get business licenses and buy product from Hasbro or through another legitimate distributor (I know lots of smaller dealers who do and who suffer real business losses thanks to the actions of scalpers, not to mention the fact that a lot of collectors don't differentiate between a scalper and a dealer which gives them an undeserved bad reputation), scalpers only take product from legitimate businesses and make an unwarranted profit off that action.

In the end, these are toys. We should all thank God that the worst problem we may have on a given day is not being able to find that Star Wars figure we're looking for because a scalper took it.I guess why so many people are angry and frustrated with scalping is because these collecting issues AREN'T the worst problems they have all day, collecting is meant to be a hobby - a release from the pressures and problems of our real lives - yet scalpers make our hobby - our escape from the doldrums - that much less fun.

In the end, my asking the question about what was wrong with scalpers was a reaction to the vehemence some people react to scalpers with. I don't think they deserve to be told they are scum or whatever other insults people want to throw at them. In the end, I believe scalpers are nothing more than dishonorable parasites who deserve any scorn the hobby chooses to apply to them. The guy in this thread was trying to make a different point, he wasn't really scalping that stuff, but he made a lot of people unhappy to the point of anger and frustration, can you see how that level of misery negatively impacts the hobby? You may not believe scalpers deserve to face the wrath that they do, but considering how many people feel wronged by these people and their salacious activities, I think that may shed some light on why it's so common. As head moderator I know that this mindset affects the policies here, forumites can't post a personal attack, but they can give scalpers hell all they want so long as it's germane to the discussion - the community standard is that scalpers are "dishonorable parasites" and in the abstract can be dumped upon.

I still disagree that scalpers force anyone to pay higher prices, though. If the price is too high, don't buy it. If people stop buying from scalpers, scalpers will stop scalping. No, they don't force people to pay those prices, but their actions artificially impact the local above-board collecting market which makes buying scalped goods that much more tempting. And as for it dying out, that collectors show I mentioned before has lots of scalpers complaining that nobody is interested in the product, yet they're still doing it because they have little to lose when the major chains unwittingly act as their safety net - by that same token, I know dealers at that show also talking about how nobody is interested yet they have a garage full of unsellable product because they are trying to play by the rules (an example of how scalpers hurt the small dealer, it just occurred to me). Scalpers don't usually take away all of our choices, but they do take away some of them and considering how competetive it already is in the hobby and how little free time many of us have, we are sometimes left with virtually no choices at all, so sure Hasbro and the retailers and the buyers are part of the problem, but so are scalpers and unlike those other 3 groups the scalpers don't contribute anything positive to the hobby at all.

Ah the truth comes out. You don't see anything wrong with it because you're one of them. What? He didn't say anything of the sort, you must have misunderstood something (or I overlooked it, but I read your quote of his post in case of an edit and nothing showed different). Don't go all McCarthyism-mindset on us stilla, not everybody who dissents is themself guilty of something.

El Chuxter
04-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Okay, moving back to the topic of discussion:

A friend of mine e-mailed me this info, which was reported on galactichunter.com. This is directly from Hasbro's website (http://hasbro.ed4.net/starwars/emperorscode/exclusives.cfm) (although a different page from the easily accessible one that says what's on the Early Bird kit itself):

Walmart
For a limited time only, collectors will be able to purchase (while supplies last) the Wal-Mart "Early-Bird" Exclusive - classic reproductions of the first four original STAR WARS action figures from 1977. Only available on April 2 & 3 at the 395 Walmart 48 Hours of the Force tent event (click here for the list of stores) and on walmart.com, the Early Bird is an exclusive every fan will want to add to his or her collection. When consumers purchase the Early Bird, they receive a certificate that they mail in to get four STAR WARS action figures: LUKE SKYWALKER, PRINCESS LEIA, HANS SOLO [sic], and CHEWBACCA. Three of these figures (LUKE, PRINCESS LEIA & CHEWBACCA) are brand new sculpts created exclusively for this exclusive. This mail-in figure promotion was done back in 1977 for the original STAR WARS movie and Wal-Mart and Hasbro are bring [sic] it back to celebrate the last movie in the saga. Only a limited number will be available so fans will have to act fast before they're all gone.

Some pretty nasty typos there, so hopefully someone in charge of editing the text gets fired, but it looks like it is three new, exclusive figures (and, likely, the same old Cantina Han again). This is making me reconsider picking these up.

EDIT: BIG NEWS! Hasbro has posted images of the figures! http://hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/newsID.1882C8E1-D56F-E112-44AB9087E511F3E9/default.cfm and http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/starwars/85749.jpg!

Can't tell if they're kit-bashed or not, but I'll now spend the $30 to get them.

sunshine
04-06-2005, 03:41 PM
They look pretty good to me.

BanthaPoodoo
04-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Looks as if Luke is going to have a telescoping saber!!! SWEET!

mm74md
04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
I ordered 4 ROTS figures from KBToys.com last night - it came to $32.52.

Why would you order from kbtoys.com? Did they have 33-40 or something?

Ji'dai
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Oooo a hooded Leia! I never did get the POTF2 CommTech Leia with hood-up.

AmanaMatt
04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Everone at the other site is complaining that the figs look bad....Leia and Chewie look quite excellent (from what you can see) and the Luke with telescoping saber is just a cool vintage nod....

....Personally, this is my fav exclusive ever, in part cause I love the vintage nod and the fact that I have never had Hyperspace before. I was too cheap to pay for it, but since I did not, the Early Bird set was a pretty nice deal for $30.

stillakid
04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
What? He didn't say anything of the sort, you must have misunderstood something (or I overlooked it, but I read your quote of his post in case of an edit and nothing showed different). Don't go all McCarthyism-mindset on us stilla, not everybody who dissents is themself guilty of something.

When I was a kid I did it

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
These look pretty cool! I love Luke's telescoping lightsaber - hopefully it's executed better than Anakin's from 2002. It looks (unfortunately) like R2-D2 is just the POTJ/OTC one. It looks like they added an ANH head (different hair and expression) to the VOTC ROTJ body, which is fine by me. Is Leia wearing a hood, or is that supposed to be like the weird cloak thing from the 1978 figure? Other than that it looks like the VOTC figure.

Overall, these are awesome. I can't wait to get them!

hestep99
04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah this deal looks pretty sweet, I may go pick up another one for myself. Do you think they'll be loose in a plastic bag, or on a card and bubble.

Slicker
04-06-2005, 05:26 PM
It would've been quite a vintage nod if they'd given Luke a yellow saber.

And that's a good question about a Kenner baggie or not. I'd think they'd come in a baggie.

Turbowars
04-06-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't know what to think. At least they are some what new. I don't understand why they didn't just rehash the preview R4 with R2's deco. I mean that's pretty lame, POTJ R2:rolleyes:

Here's a pic

AmanaMatt
04-06-2005, 06:47 PM
For my money: if that is a Votc Chewie body with a ANH head sculpt, I will be pretty happy.

Reefer Shark
04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Why would you order from kbtoys.com? Did they have 33-40 or something?

Nah.. I wish. I picked up 4 regular clone troopers.

----

On those new figs, I'm really not that impressed with them from these pics. I guess that could change when better more detailed pics are released. The rehashed POTJ R2 is very lame, why they would pick that figure is beyond me - like Turbo said, just repaint the R4G9 in R2's colors and we would all be happy. How hard is that? :stupid: Or, they could've given us VOTC R2 with different attachments or something... Anything but the POTJ rehash again.

JediTricks
04-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Stilla, read the context again: "I just can't get behind how bent out of shape people get over scalpers. When I was a kid I did it, and of course I have the benefit of age here, but I don't think it is worth getting mad at scalpers. When I was a kid I did it, and of course I have the benefit of age here, but I don't think it is worth getting mad at scalpers." He's not saying he scalped, he's saying he used to get mad.

Anyway, there's another thread in the forums discussing these figures, I guess SW.com was wrong and 3 of them are "new" (and R2 is not the vinty one). On the whole I'm not terribly impressed. R2 is apparently a straight rerelease of the OTC #12 fig which was also release as a Saga HOF fig, and both were just repaints of the POTJ Naboo Escape fig. Leia looks ok, but may be preposed or something wonky, so I won't make up my mind about her until I see it in person. Luke seems to have a decent head sculpt and ok if simple body, but that arm isn't gonna do it for me unless it comes with another arm that is normal. And Chewie, I don't know of it's a rehash or not, but don't like the look of the face or head sculpt that looks like the Saga or POTJ fig, the torso that seems to have no articulation like those figs again, the arms look odd like the Saga Bespin fig's arms, and the legs are really stubby, it could be a new fig or a cobble-together but color me uninterested.

jrice73
04-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Just bought mine tonight. It was only $20.00 at the Festus, MO Walmart Supercenter. Yeah baby!!!!!!

Slicker
04-07-2005, 06:24 AM
So these are on clearance after only about 5 days?:confused: Man, I feel ripped off. Oh, well what're you gonna do. Besides take in my receipt and have them give me my money back that is.;)

JediBoulton
04-07-2005, 07:44 AM
After reading some of this tread -- I have decided to get the Early Pack -- Just for the simple reason to have a reproduction of the FIRST EVER Star Wars Toy EVER -- thats pretty cool in itself. Dont really care what the figures look like -- Dont realy care if they come in a baggie or not -- but for the simple reason I AM A COLLECTOR. I enjoy this hobby. I dont look forward to screwing anybody out of anything! If it be in my power to help all of us collectors to get all that we want -- then I will do what I can. I am not interested in Profit -- just a collection that I can be proud of! (Directed tword ONE of the people that posted on this tread -- sorry).

Anyway -- I tried to log onto WALMART.COM this morning and the site is Closed. Does anyone know anything about this ??

stillakid
04-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Stilla, read the context again: "I just can't get behind how bent out of shape people get over scalpers. When I was a kid I did it, and of course I have the benefit of age here, but I don't think it is worth getting mad at scalpers. When I was a kid I did it, and of course I have the benefit of age here, but I don't think it is worth getting mad at scalpers." He's not saying he scalped, he's saying he used to get mad.

I disagree. He's saying that when he was young, he was a scalper, but now that he's older, he doesn't do it anymore. Because he has experience as a scalper, he fails to see the harm in it and why anyone else would either. Only someone who participates in an activity like this would come away with such a forgiving attitude toward others who do it as well.

Jedi
04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
It's still $29.88 as of right now online. And it's still listed as "In Stock." I thought for SURE that these were going to sell almost as quickly as the Holographic Yodas. After all, there are "only" 50,000 in existence....
I am glad that I decided to get one of these, though. Neither of my area Walmarts had it on 4/2 (an employee there at customer service told me that the only thing he knew about anything "special" that Walmart was doing on 4/2 was releasing new Episode III merchandise - gee, really?!), and when I saw it online, I was unsure whether to get it. Now that I have it, I'm glad I got it!!

Can anyone else confirm a price drop and secondly, what is the timeframe to get the price adjustment?

Jedi

JEDIpartner
04-07-2005, 08:36 AM
I think this exclusive is far superior to the other two exclusives. Not only do you get all the vintage-y goodness of the "empty box" but you also get new figures!! Bravo!

I really like these. The Luke figure is a perfect marriage of vintage and modern. Nice work on this exclusive, Wal*Mart & Hasbro!!!

bobafrett
04-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Yesterday my Wal-Mart pulled the feature of these to the back room. We had a whole pallet, then we sold a little over half of them, so they put a half pallet of Vader Potato heads, but sadly they sit in the receiving area in a bin........ for now.

BanthaPoodoo
04-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I think this exclusive is far superior to the other two exclusives. Not only do you get all the vintage-y goodness of the "empty box" but you also get new figures!! Bravo!

I really like these. The Luke figure is a perfect marriage of vintage and modern. Nice work on this exclusive, Wal*Mart & Hasbro!!!

After getting mine in the mail, I am sort of disappointed that its not really a "box", but a little cardboard envelope. Would have been nice to have a box that once you redeem your coupon & get the figures, then you stick it in the box.... oh well....

JEDIpartner
04-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Oh, you didn't know the configuration of the "empty box". Well-- I was around for the original in 1977 so I knew exactly what this was. I was 10 then.

BanthaPoodoo
04-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Nope, wasn't quite sure what it was, I had heard of the origial early bird box before but never seen pictures. Even over at hasbro's site I thought it was a box with the pictures they showed.... oh well, still a good chance to get some neat looking figures, envelope or box!

JEDIpartner
04-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah... I'm looking forward to the figures as well. Like I previously stated, nice marriage of vintage and modern.

TheDarthVader
04-07-2005, 06:10 PM
I am sure this has been asked but here goes...

I had to order this online from WM.com. Do I send in the invoice they sent me to redeem my certificate? I do not have an "original cash register receipt". Any help is appreciated.

B.
TDV

sith_killer_99
04-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Well, I just stopped by my local Wal-Mart and it seems they have a few Early Bird sets left over, they put them out by the Lay-A-Way section.

They have about 100 or so left. Five shelves high, 2 rows across, 10-12 deep! That's 100-120 Early Bird sets! :eek:

I wish I could find that many Lava Darth Vaders just hanging around. Then maybe I could find a C9.5 carded sample. Oh and help out a few collectors here. ;)

hestep99
04-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I wish early bird would go on clearance. These sets are just hanging around.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Finally saw the picture of these figures. So far, I think they look pretty good, though it is hard to tell what kind of articulation they have. As JEDIpartner said, Luke is a good mix of modern and vintage. I like the look of Leia with the hood. Commtech Leia was probably my favorite Leia figure as far as appearance goes. I've not opened it so I can't judge any other aspects of it. Chewie looks a little like the VOTC figure. Overall, I'm glad I bought the early bird box, even though I had to pay more with the shipping and all to order it. I haven't seen any at my local Wal-Mart. They seemed clueless about it on 4/2.

Fluke Skywalker
04-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Geez is this thing tough to open! I just got mine today and holy cow! Then, the UPC is stuck to the plastic. You peel it off and it's still sticky! And you have to put it into a PAPER envelope! Bright, Hasbro, real bright!

Putting it in the mail today! :D

sith_killer_99
04-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Hehehe....sticky. :D

I left mine on the plastic and just cut it out. :crazed:

Mad Slanted Powers
04-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Geez is this thing tough to open! I just got mine today and holy cow! Then, the UPC is stuck to the plastic. You peel it off and it's still sticky! And you have to put it into a PAPER envelope! Bright, Hasbro, real bright!

Putting it in the mail today! :D

Indeed, very difficult to open. Didn't have too much trouble getting the UPC unstuck. I attached the sticky side to the back of the certificate. It didn't appear that it would ruin the certificate or UPC, and it kept the sticky part away from the envelope

DarthQuack
04-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I ordered mine on Walmart.com on 4-2 and still haven't received mine yet.

WesleySr
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I ordered mine on Walmart.com on 4-2 and still haven't received mine yet.

You should check into that. I ordered mine on 4/2 and it shipped on 4/5.

BanthaPoodoo
04-13-2005, 09:48 AM
You should check into that. I ordered mine on 4/2 and it shipped on 4/5.

I agree, I ordered mine on a Friday & got it in the next Wednesday!

Slicker
04-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Here's some close up pics of the Early Bird figs (http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/c3/earlybird/) from RS. They look good except for small details such as Leia having her hood up with an Imperial blaster (shoulda had the sporting blaster) and the Luke with the big saber (I know it's a throw back to the original but it's pretty friggin' huge) The R2 looks to not have the much hated vac formed shiny dome and it looks more toned down and just painted silver.

Kidhuman
04-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Those are real nice. Glad I got one of these sets now and that they are not rehashes of older figs.

evenflow
04-23-2005, 10:22 AM
I am pretty excited by this set. I have always loved the mail away expereince. Also good news that it is not going to be a relaunch of a new line.

AmanaMatt
04-23-2005, 10:26 AM
After seeing the quality of these figs (R2 is the weak link here, by far), this is really my fav exclusive of all time, given the value of what you get.....I refused to pay for Hyperspace, so the inclusion of a 3 month deal was sweet to me....the Luke, Leia, and Chewie look great. Even though just a new head, that is the best ANH Chewie ever...since the VOTC Chewie had more of an ESB or ROTJ hair style, at this point, Hasbro never needs to make another Chewie for me - these two are perfect.

Ji'dai
04-23-2005, 10:57 AM
With that bluish-gray tint on Chewie's fur it looks like Chewie (sans collar) in the dim light of Jabba's Palace. I really like the hooded Leia, never found the CommTech one.

Slicker
04-23-2005, 11:06 AM
Hopefully these Early Bird Kits go on clearance soon so I can send away for the figs. They look worth it and who knows they may come packaged in a decent way.

bobafrett
04-23-2005, 10:12 PM
I know my store still has several dozen of these sets left, if they do mark them down, I might buy a second set, not sure if I'll cut it open though.

BigBuck71
04-24-2005, 12:08 AM
I saw an entire "endcap" at my local Wal-Mart nearly overflowing with them last night. If they dont' sell too well, I expect they'll clear them out. They're still going for about $30. I'm glad to have one, and I've mailed off for the figures about two weeks ago.

JediTricks
04-24-2005, 05:55 PM
The endcap that was full of these at my store last week had a paltry 3 yesterday. I picked one up, but ultimately couldn't dredge up the interest, especially with yet another Naboo Escape R2 (I already have 3 or 4 of this in its original and clean paint jobs).