PDA

View Full Version : (red) Palpatine's blue lightsaber bugs me

Tycho
04-02-2005, 07:36 PM
I know the figure is still harder to find out there (Palpatine #30-something), but I got 2 and have opened one and while I like the figure (for a uni-body), and the slashing action feature works ok, why the blue Anakin-lightsaber?

You've seen the trailer now. He uses a red lightsaber - and the whole time.

The Anakin #2 figure has a red blade, but the hand is in his black glove. I could paint it flesh-colored so Palpatine could have a red blade, or check to see if any of my figures have any extras, but you have to admit this is annoying.

BTW, the Deluxe Palpatine's red blade hand will not fit in the smaller socket of the basic figure's wrist, just so you know I thought of that.

mastermatt24
04-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I was looking around and I never did find him (32??) Whats he look like? I only saw and bought the two figures and not the deluxe one.

Sith Lord 0498
04-02-2005, 09:04 PM
That's disappointing to hear about the incorrect saber, but does he have interchangeable heads (one human, one deformed) like the photos suggest? Also, how poseable is he?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-02-2005, 09:12 PM
I know the figure is still harder to find out there (Palpatine #30-something), but I got 2 and have opened one and while I like the figure (for a uni-body), and the slashing action feature works ok, why the blue Anakin-lightsaber?

You've seen the trailer now. He uses a red lightsaber - and the whole time.

The Anakin #2 figure has a red blade, but the hand is in his black glove. I could paint it flesh-colored so Palpatine could have a red blade, or check to see if any of my figures have any extras, but you have to admit this is annoying.

BTW, the Deluxe Palpatine's red blade hand will not fit in the smaller socket of the basic figure's wrist, just so you know I thought of that.
*Ahem* SPOILERS

This isn't incorrect at all. I've seen pictures on the official site from the excerpt of the making-of book where Palpatine is holding Anakin's saber. So at one time or another, he uses it for some reason, presumably to take down Mace (Anakin's there at the time). Unless they changed something in the film.

Tycho
04-02-2005, 10:27 PM
SithLord, he's not too poseable. He's a solid body with no leg or hip movement.

By pushing in his feet at the bottom, you cause his right arm to slash with the lightsaber.

His arms are articulated at the shoulder, elbows (like Reb. Fleet Trooper knees), and wrists.

His Dark Side Lightning clips on under his wrists but I gave him the larger "blast" from my Flashback Emperor Palpatine so he packs a bigger punch.

Sith Lord 0498
04-02-2005, 10:37 PM
That sucks. Now I'm glad I got the Sidious vs. Mace battle arena. What about the heads though, Tycho? Interchangeable?

RussUAE
04-03-2005, 05:45 AM
I was really looking forward to this figure. Now not so sure. Oh well.

Am also very keen on the point about the interchangible heads. I plan to buy two for that reason alone.

ndjedi
04-03-2005, 06:59 AM
That sucks. Now I'm glad I got the Sidious vs. Mace battle arena. What about the heads though, Tycho? Interchangeable?

Where did you get your Battle Arena? WM, TRU, Target? Did that come out later in the day on Saturday?

Sith Lord 0498
04-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Where did you get your Battle Arena? WM, TRU, Target? Did that come out later in the day on Saturday?

I bought it at TRU when they opened on Saturday morning. They only had two of each (Sidious/Mace and Anakin/Dooku).

Jaina Solo
04-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Is the blue saber fixed into his hand? It seems like the easiest thing to do would be to swap the blue saber for a red one from another figure.

mastermatt24
04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Ok.. Went to Target Greatland to get my refund ( $27 :D , bought an ARC with it :crazed: ) and I went through all the figures and they didnt have anything picked up the ARC and put it down on the rack thing to look at it, and I look up and see good 'ol palpatine staring me in the face.. So I got him too. It does show the red saber and the old face on the back but I cant see another face or saber in the pacakage... If I can find another Ill definitly buy it to find out. I have to say that he does look pretty good with a blue saber though.

Tycho
04-03-2005, 05:48 PM
There's 2 heads but not 2 sabers! :mad:

Overall, he's a great figure though.

JediTricks
04-03-2005, 11:02 PM
That sucks. Now I'm glad I got the Sidious vs. Mace battle arena.I saw both of those at 1 TRU, didn't buy 'em though. What's your opinion of them?

Sith Lord 0498
04-04-2005, 06:18 AM
The "battle arena" aspect doesn't seem to work very well. Granted, I didn't play against anyone. I simply operated both sides myself and tried to trigger them myself, but I haven't launched anyone yet.

Mace Windu figure: I like this figure to a degree. It has limited articulation (shoulders, wrist, head, and waist) and is pre-posed. The face sculpt is decent.

Sidious figure: Considering Palpatine (#30-something) is non-existent in my area, this one's a blessing for now!! Again, pre-posed and limited articulation. However, this one has a ball-jointed shoulder on the saber arm (which the hilt is molded on to), so there's some poseability there. Face sculpt is pretty good.

Now, is is worth $20? No, not really. Am I glad I bought it? Yeah, considering the limited availability of figures and the fact I wanted to display them in their confrontation. The way they're posed makes a dynamic, fluid scene (mostly b/c of Sidious' pre-posed, sculpted lunging attack)

There's no clear-cut answer I can give you. If you're like me (trying to buy all things Palpatine/Sidious) and you want an action-oriented mini-diorama, then I'd say buy it. Otherwise, save your money for something you want more.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help to you.

BanthaPoodoo
04-04-2005, 01:43 PM
There's 2 heads but not 2 sabers! :mad:

Overall, he's a great figure though.

Yep, this figure comes with snap-on force lightning, interchangable heads and a second set of hands. NEITHER of which is holding a red Sidious saber.

Maybe this will be a mess up and they will rerelease with the red saber.

evenflow
04-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I think the figures awesome, i love the extra head and hands. I would assume that it was a mistake packing them all with blue sabers and will eventually be changed.

Tycho
04-04-2005, 04:49 PM
My friend said he supposedly thinks he got one with a red lightsaber, but he's going to recheck that. I strongly DOUBT it. He's probably overwhelmed by how many figures he got and I think he confused the basic figure with the deluxe.

I'll keep everyone up to date. The figure is rare right now, as it comes in a later case assortment that will be released more towards the end of the month or in May, though I did find 1 (and only 1) exploding Grievous in all of Wal-Mart today (hidden in the back of that black display thing which is really a pain in the butt to search through and for the employees to keep looking nice unless they only stock the same of each figure in a row in the big cardboard unit. I'm talking about the black thing that holds basic figures on one side, the collectors' cases on another, and the deluxe on another side of it. I think lightsabers are on the last side. Looks nice, but it's a pain for collectors and employees alike.)

Slicker
04-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Don't discount your friend too soon Tycho. An article over at RS says that they may have released the Palpatine with both a blue and red saber. Here's the article. (http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=91002)

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the info 0498. A few follow-up questions, do the arenas come apart? They look like they do, and if they do, think they can be linked to other arena halves? Are their feet actually separate from the bases, and are the lightsabers removable? I monkeyed with the lightsaber control handles in the store, it didn't seem to do much but that seemed like the fault of the try-me packaging more than anything.

Thanks again, you're the only person I've seen make any comment about these so far.

Sith Lord 0498
04-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info 0498. A few follow-up questions, do the arenas come apart? They look like they do, and if they do, think they can be linked to other arena halves? Are their feet actually separate from the bases, and are the lightsabers removable? I monkeyed with the lightsaber control handles in the store, it didn't seem to do much but that seemed like the fault of the try-me packaging more than anything.

Thanks again, you're the only person I've seen make any comment about these so far.

Not a problem, JT. I'm just glad I could help. As far being the only person commenting about them, it's probably b/c I'm in a very small minority that actually found them. :rolleyes:

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, the halves separate. It's a "slot and tab" type deal.

2) Yes, you can link up to four arena "slices." Each set has two slices. Basically, you can buy Sidious/Mace and Dooku/Anakin and make a big circle. Supposedly, they also connect to the Mustafar playset.

3) Yes, you can detach them from the bases. As a matter of fact, I have Sidious posed next to Separatist Prisoner Palpatine. The lower torso and legs are a solid piece (re: no poseability in the legs), but it stands just fine. Mace doesn't stand so well on his own. The slightest bump can knock him over, and the pegholes in the feet are too large for any of the stands I have.

4) No, the lightsabers are not removeable. The sabers and hands are one piece.

Just as a side note, JT, maybe you or one of the other mods can separate our discussion into a thread in the "Reviews" section. Maybe no one else has chimed in b/c this is buried in a loosely-associated thread.

evenflow
04-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Looks like the red saber is version is out.

BanthaPoodoo
04-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Definite variant:

Red Saber - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5967690416&rd=1

Blue Saber - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5967671307&rd=1

Nevermind the rediculous prices.... but guess I need to hit my local stores to see if I can complete my collection (or see if I can even FIND anything over #32!!)

TheDarthVader
04-05-2005, 12:08 PM
HELP! Which one is more rare? Red or blue?! I need to know...if someone can help me out. Was it a corrected error (blue to red)? Or did Hasbro just produce two different figures of palpatine?

B.
TDV

Tycho
04-05-2005, 12:40 PM
The blue one is more rare, BUT NOT RIGHT NOW.

The red one is the corrected version, as you can tell my watching the movie trailer and looking at the Insider Poster and the cardback of the figure.

Blue shipped first, so they'll be turning up all over the place FIRST.

Red will be more common later.

Note: the blue one is Anakin's lightsaber. It is possible that in the movie, Palpatine Force-grabs it as he's fighting Mace, and this is not an error - or the movie was even shot that way, and then Lucas changed his mind and decided Palpatine should have his own lightsaber (since he'd need it to face down Yoda later in the film - though he could have used Mace's, SaeSee's, Kit's, Agen's... etc. considering the body count up to that point.

However, Palpatine will have his own red lightsaber just like any true Sith Lord should.

I'd buy the figure now as he's not in the majority of earlier cases shipped, but in wave 2 of Collection 1 (which will be more common when a lot of Super Battle Droids finally sell from wave 1).

But I'd keep carded blue lightsaber versions right now, until the red comes out and this figure starts to pegwarm (as he's a uni-body, but with 2 heads, so many people will buy 2-3 of him anyway).

BanthaPoodoo
04-05-2005, 12:59 PM
I second what Tycho said, and would like to add that I wouldn't buy anything because it was rare or not.... buying this stuff to as speculation for making money is silly in my book....

I but it cause I like it, if prices skyrocket, fine. If they plummet fine. I've been getting these little dudes since way back in 95 so that I could have the collection I never had as a kid, & I sure aint going to stop now that I am this deep into it. I have to see it to through fruition. Plus the fact that I grin each time I see something new.

Kidhuman
04-05-2005, 11:33 PM
I got the blue one yesterday. The red will be more accessable as time goes on.

ndjedi
04-06-2005, 03:25 AM
I found & bought a few Blue Saber Palpatines early this morning at Wal-Mart. They had just 4 of the 8 figures (#33-40) EVERYONE wants right now.
This WM just had about 4 cases of Collection 1 Wave 3 Revolution 1 (3000M and 3000N) which had #33 Clone Commander(2x), #34 Clone Pilot(2x), #35 Emperor Palpatine(Blue Saber), and #36 General Grievous(Exploding Body).
These seem to be hitting all WM now, esp since mine got them in this morning.

Hellboy
04-08-2005, 03:47 PM
So the red saber #35 Palpatine has apparently started showing up a bit more according to a few other sites. Is it still unknown as to whether this is an actual running change to correct a mistake or was having 2 versions always Hasbro's intention? :confused:

Dark Marble
04-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I also would like to know if the red saber is actually Palpatine's saber. I have the blue version right now and it is Ani's, but does anyone know if the red saber has a different hilt?

CrossWizard
04-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I also would like to know if the red saber is actually Palpatine's saber. I have the blue version right now and it is Ani's, but does anyone know if the red saber has a different hilt?

It's the exact same, just with a red blade. They have close up pics at rebelscum.