PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith Novelization (Spoilers)

yoda83
04-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Ok, do not, I REPEAT DO NOT, waste your money on this. If you want to be spoiled, get the graphic novel. It will be a more in depth look at the movie in 96 pages than over 350 pages in the hardcover.

Some of the glaring flaws

1) When Order 66 is given by Palpatine, the graphic novel and movie previews show a bunch of different Jedi and hint at the outcomes. The book sums all of them up in less than 1 sentence, and not even by name.

2) The movie and graphic novel, as well as the toys, indicate the story will take part on Kashyyyk for some of it, especially with Yoda and Chewbacca. This is a two part reason, to show Yoda's true mastery of the Force, as well as introduce Chewbacca into the story. The book portrays Yoda on Kashyyyk as an afterthought and Chewbacca and Tarrful are in no way mentioned in this book at all.

The only good part about the book was the fight between General Grievous and Obi Wan Kenobi, as that was like the only non-Anakin chapter of the whole thing. While I realize this story is about the final turning of Anakin Sywalker to Darth Vader, the book was 90% focused on him, and 10% focused on how other characters view or act with him. I do not feel Lucas wrote the story this way, and I still have great faith in the movie to be the blockbuster and story we all hope it will be. I just feel this author has no concept how to write a movie adaptation.

General_Grievous
04-03-2005, 07:56 PM
One thing this guy is good at is writing graphic death scenes. There is one instance where a Jedi is decapitated and his headless body just stands there and it states that "gasping sounds escaped from his trachea" or something like that. Gruesome.

2-1B
04-03-2005, 09:23 PM
I bought the novel and love the idea of a different perspective like that. The eye candy of the Jedi murders will come across great onscreen so I'll be glad to see it there but if Stover is able to get into these characters' heads a bit more, I'm looking forward to it. :)

Sith Lord 0498
04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm up to Chapter 11 in the novel. I just finishing reading the scene where Palpatine tells Anakin that he wants him to be his personal representative on the Jedi Council (and no that's not a spoiler unless you're hiding in a corner every time the theatrical trailer appears :) )

Overall, I think it is an interesting read with some terrific insight into the characters BUT...

Matthew Stover, at least in this book, has a very repetitive and frustrating style. He overuses his literary devices. I read ahead to the end of the book, and I absolutely loved the awakening of Vader scene because it opened and closed with "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker forever." I thought "D*mn, that is a great bookending line!!!"

Little did I realize that I would also find:

"This is Anakin Skywalker..."

"This is Padme Amidala..."

"This is Count Dooku..."

"This, then, is Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi..."

Enough with the introductions already. They are used too much!!!

Furthermore, the scene-skipping approach I took before actually committing to reading the novel straight through revealed another frustration. I am so sick of reading about Mace and his "shatterpoints." Darth Alex, who has already read it cover-to-cover, informed me that the book is filled with them.

Matthew Stover, look, we know you wrote "Shatterpoint" also. You don't need to keep reminding us, OK?? Thank you.

All right...that about does it for my soap box. Thank you for reading, and please don't be overly offended and defensive toward me if you disagree.

It's just that...well it's my "shatterpoint." :(

Just kidding :p

2-1B
04-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I haven't read Shatterpoint so hopefully for me it won't be too repetitive. :D

OC47150
04-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I haven't read Shatterpoint so hopefully for me it won't be too repetitive. :D

Shatterpoint wasn't the greatest story. It could've been trimmed down by 50 - 75 pages and been better.

I skimmed the last few pages and read the last page of ROTS when I came across the book at the WM tent sale. The story ended as I thought/hoped it would.

I'll read it after seeing the movie.

General_Grievous
04-04-2005, 02:31 PM
It just sucks that James Luceno didn't write the ROTS novel. Now that's a guy who knows how to write a good Star Wars story.

PloKoon2385
04-07-2005, 12:45 AM
I generally disagree. So far, I have very much enjoyed the novel. The Dooku/Anakin battle is MUCH more greatly detailed. We also get to know Grievous a little better. And I like the introductions. It gives a little pause between the action to give us just a little insight about the characters. While I understand how it is frustrating that Kashyyyk is barely mntioned, and not many Jedi deaths are mentioned by name, I think it does a good job of relaying the bulk of the story. You gotta leave SOMETHING to be seen in the movie, right?

General_Grievous
04-12-2005, 08:05 PM
I just finished the novel, and I don't think it's anywhere NEAR as bad as you say it is, yoda83. The only flaws are, as you said, the Jedi purge cutback and the absence of Kashyyyk. But the rest of the novel is pretty damn good. Big chunks of it are nonstop action or exciting dialogue with a lot of tension that you can't put the book down. But I think that the whole Utapau chapter is one of the highlights of the book, as are the last two chapters.

One thing I was sick of was Anakin and Padme's constant lovey dovey pet names. Every two paragraphs, you saw the words "my love". Give it a rest, Stover! We know they're in love! We don't need you to celebrate it!

But for the record, I am now reading the Junior Novelization just so I can get a deep feel for the Kashyyyk sequences, because the comic book cheaps out on those as well.

sith_killer_99
04-13-2005, 11:29 AM
I agree with GG here. The novel wasn't bad. In fact I rather liked the way the author put you inside peoples heads:

This is what it is like to be Anakin Skywalker at this moment!

My favorite was at the end This is what it's like to be Anakin Skywalker....for the rest of his life!!!

This guy did some things really well, the death scenes, the amputations and the way he brought out the "brotherhood" and friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. It was actually the first time I felt like there was a real connection between them. All the others made it feel forced. Pardon the pun. It was the little things like "twinkle in his eye" and so forth that brough these character to life. Sure he over did it a bit with Anakin and Padme' but that's not too surprising.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of detailed fighting after "Order 66" and it would have been nice to read about the big confrontation on Kashyyyk, but the author wanted to keep the momentum going, I can live with it.

Overall I really enjoyed the book. I do however suggest everyone stay away from the audiobook. The reader was horrible, I mean BAD, ripping out Amidala and Yoda impressions...I still shudder when I thing about it.

BTW, my favorite death scene was Count Dooku! :D

El Chuxter
04-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I only read the first sentence of this so far, but my wife just finished it and loved it. I've enjoyed Stover's other two books, so I'll be reading it in about a month. :)

InsaneJediGirl
04-17-2005, 10:01 AM
I read it,the ROTS novel was good,but I didnt like Stovers writing style.By the time he got to "This is Grevious" I wanted to rip my eyes out and scream.Getting past that,the end was awesome with Obi-Wan going into a mild downward panic,since I dont think he ever showed much emotion.Overall,fairly good ot get into the emotions.I've decided Anakin is bipolar :crazed:

I got teary-end and the end,havent done that since the ROTK novel.

Sith Lord 0498
04-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I read it,the ROTS novel was good,but I didnt like Stovers writing style.By the time he got to "This is Grevious" I wanted to rip my eyes out and scream.

At least I'm not the only one here who absolutely hated that "This is..." nonsense that popped up on every third page!!

If you want to get a better feel for the entire, I recommend reading Stover's novel and then buying and reading the junior novelization from Scholastic. They're like two halves of the same story. The jr. novel includes Chewbacca, a more fleshed out ending that better describes the funeral, dropping off Yoda, and Obi-Wan's arrival on Tatoonie, Darth Sidious' inner thoughts during the seduction, Order 66, etc.

The author even makes a point (when each twin is delivered) to state that Luke shut his eyes b/c of the light but Leia was wide-eyed and deliberately stared at Padme "as if trying to memorize her face."

However, it does have its flaws. The Yoda/Sidious duel is described in more concrete terms here, but the Anakin/Dooku and Anakin/Obi-Wan duels are severely shortened.

I bought my copy at Wal-Mart for under $4.00. It's definitely worth reading, if only to augment what Stover neglected.

jedibear
04-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Here I go again, being in the minority...

I loved this book! One of the major complaints here is how two major moments in the movie get short-changed:

Kassyyk- Yes, it is odd if you've been addicted to spoilers that what looks to be a major setpiece in the film is barley mentioned. I'll throw two ideas out there about that...one, Stover based his work on the shooting draft of the script. One can only imagine that Lucas whole script explanation goes something like "Yoda goes to Kassyyk and meets the wookiees. There is a ground battle. It is faster and more intense". Two, what little Stover covers of it is the bare necessity of the story...Yoda leaves Coruscant to try and draw out Sidious & he still manages to attend council sessions via holo.
Order 66- Again, Lucas description was probably pretty vague and in the case of this scene, while it would have been intense to have paragraph after paragraph of literal descriptions as to each well-known Jedi's fate, two issues come to mind: The fates weren't really solidified yet until late in filming & again, less is more with the description. I think the paragraph ending with...all across the galaxy, Jedi die...is pretty powerful and thought-provoking on the page

The one thing Stover does quite effectively in the book is make the story focus on Anakin....what's going on in his head...what his motavations are. And this is pulled off quite effectively I think. Some of the seemingly simple scenes were the most moving to me like the end of chapter 13 when Anakin & Obi-Wan say what is effectively their last goodbye to one another. I also liked it when Obi-Wan visits Padme the first time and they do their verbal dance around the issue of Padme & Ani's marriage and the scene ends with Padme asking(almost stating actually) "You love him, don't you Obi-Wan?" Great emotional resonance....

One of the things Stover mentioned during the press junket for this book is that he wanted to write "less a novelization" and "more a novel the movie could have been based on"....I'm paraphrasing wildly here, but the point is, I think he succeeded. I'll agree that with all we know about the movie, there are things that might be "missing" from the book (or different e.g.: The Jedi/Palp confrontation plays out a little differently in the movie....and I think folks might even grant the book handles THAT a little more dramatically) but as a book, ROTS plays out like the raging cresendo/climax it should, ending on a small note of new hope....

2-1B
04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Good book, too tidy of an ending . . . I would have liked more exposition on Luke's future parents and not just the mention of Obers on his Eeopie.

AndyW
04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
At least I'm not the only one here who absolutely hated that "This is..." nonsense that popped up on every third page!!

Strike me down as another who didn't like this, bugged me more than I thought it would.

Other than that though, I enjoyed it, while not as good as Shatterpoint, its gotten me fairly excited, not as excited as I was after reading the AOTC novel, but close.

I think the paragraph ending with...all across the galaxy, Jedi die...is pretty powerful and thought-provoking on the page

I also liked this a lot, and I don't mind waiting until the film to see it played out more, and upon reading the script in the back of The Art of ROTS you can see it does get far far far far more attention.

2-1B
04-28-2005, 12:53 PM
I didn't mind the "This is" stuff.

El Chuxter
05-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'm almost done and have to conclude you guys are nuts. I'm actually enjoying the film (from memory) quite a bit more now that I have explanations for why Palpatine's face melted and why Ani wants to be a Master and other irritating questions the film left unanswered.

Without even seeing ROTS a second time, Stover has lifted it from somewhere below the Ewoks cartoon in my esteem to before The Phantom Menace, which is quite an achievement seeing as how this isn't actually the movie!!

Order 66 bugged me not at all. Books and films have to follow different rules of storytelling. It works onscreen (or on the comic book page) to show several Jedi die, but how incredibly repetitive would it be to have a paragraph about how everyone dies? Far less than the "This is," which is actually my favorite aspect of Stover's style.

I cannot wait for Star Wars: Dark Lord!! :D

OC47150
06-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I didn't mind the "This is" stuff.

I'm not crazy about the 'This is' breaks, but it does provide good character background info. It just pops up at the most inopportune times.

Started it this weekend. Read about 125 pages the first day. It's holding my attention.

I wasn't crazy about Stover's writing style in Shatterpoint. From what I've read of ROTS so far, it looks like his style has changed a bit. Maybe it's the subject material, but it reads and flows better.

Didn't realize that Palpy's rescue was almost a quarter of the book!

In the intro, I kept waiting for Stover to compare Kenobi and Skywalker to Batman & Robin, Martin and Lewis, or Abbott and Costello. I guess there's hero worshipping in a galaxy far, far way!

Again, another hard book to put down.

sith_killer_99
06-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Kenobi and Skywalker, Skywalker and Kenobi...

LOL.

Yeah, it did get to be a bit much. :crazed:

OC47150
06-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Finished it over the weekend. Very good, but I felt like the last 20 - 30 pages were too compressed. At over 400+ pages, a few more pages at this point wouldn't have hurt.

Can't wait until Luceno's new Vader book in the fall.