PDA

View Full Version : Grievous bodyguard is a disapointment

Joshkj
04-03-2005, 08:25 PM
I was really excited about this fig and was about to pick up 10 of them but before buying I bought one and opend it off. I first noticed the unbendable legs, thats a major no no. 2nd was how shortt the staff is. And 3rd is how he cant even hold the staff. Im really disapointed with this figure:cry:

Beast
04-03-2005, 08:50 PM
The droid doesn't sit down in the movie, so the unbendable legs don't bother me all that much. I prefer the straight legs on figures with stick legs like this, so the joints don't get crappy weak like the battle droids. As for the staff, it's pretty much consistant with the movie length, and mine can hold the staff fine. What are you doing wrong? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Mine can hold the staff fine as well. Did you take his cape off? I think it's a fine figure, though it does have an oddly tiny head. :D

Joshkj
04-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Well from the animated series these guys have longer staffs, the longer ones look cooler too, these are not purple at te tips either. The head looks wierd.

Bendy legs would make it more posable I think.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm gonna move this to the reviews section as it is REVIEWING teh figure. :D

JediTricks
04-04-2005, 02:46 AM
I was disappointed with this figure, but I bought 2 anyway. The reason I wasn't totally happy was that the droid's actual sculpt is pretty "soft" and relatively featureless and the paint is very flat compared to the more dynamic look of the prototype's finish, the cloak is the best-sculpted item here. Also, like Halo pointed out, the knees aren't articulated and the legs seem like they REALLY need it, they're locked too straight and can't do any poses at all except Kenner-era hip style which ain't enough for me. Then there's the holding of the staff, he can hold it from the top but the card shows the movie version holding it from the bottom, and it just slides through the guy's fingers when you try. Also, the loosey-goosey forearms make it difficult to actually pose the figure. Finally, the action gimmick is difficult to line up properly, only when you get the arms exactly at the right angles through trial-and-error will this gimmick actually work right, until then the left arm doesn't want to move and it's just kinda twitching a little and bending the staff. It's not a terrible figure, and I appreciate that the action gimmick doesn't interfer with giving it decent articulation, but I was expecting better.

plasticfetish
04-04-2005, 03:51 AM
This one, because it's all about the action feature, strikes me as being a figure for the "kids" -- which isn't a bad thing, but it's not great either.

I'm not wild about the fact that you have to take the cloak off (by removing it's head) to get the fighting gimmick to really work, but once you do, and if you've got the staff in two hands, it's kind of amusing. My son had his "leg squeeze" Anakin hacking away as his bodyguard droid fought back. Fun for a seven year old. So... as far as "play value" goes, I'd say it's a winner.

darko666
04-14-2005, 12:14 PM
I think it's a fine figure, though it does have an oddly tiny head. :D

yeah, that is the only problem i have with the figure. it looks cool none the less.

Devo
04-25-2005, 02:34 PM
It seemed obligatory to get this since I have Grievious but when I finally saw him in the shop I thought he looked terrible, a really plain, underwhelming figure. I won't be getting this no matter how desperate I get for a new figure to open.

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Having finally seen an image of the bodyguard figure in the 3rd Battle Arena set, I have to wonder why that one looks so much better than this one. It's got shiny paint and more detail and seems more exciting. Granted, it's less-articulated and a pack-in, but it sorta detracts from this one which is on shaky ground to begin with.

jad
05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
I haven't been able to find a good close up pic of the battlepack version. I'm not very pleased with the basic version, I might just pick up the battlepack if I can find it. I love the design of the droid, so I really would like a good version.

jjreason
05-07-2005, 12:11 AM
As a "open and display" type, I don't often take much time to play with the figures once I get them open. The ones I do play with (and thus get a lot more acquainted with) are the ones that work properly right out of the package. This guy, much like Obi Wan #27 baffled me so badly as to how they worked, they just went up on my shelf.

Appearance wise, I wish they were taller. The "look" of the figure is fine, but he's outmatched by GG and most of the Jedi (not to mention Bail Organa, who must be about 6'8" tall in figure land). He should be bigger. I think the knees in this case LOOK articulated, so much so that the fact they're not is a drawback. I don't care one way or the other, but I prefer the figures to have slightly flexed legs if they're not going to have knee articulation. This guys legs are even more straight and rigid looking than the Kenner Stormtroopers'.

I don't like the fact that the shaft of the staff doesn't fit into the left hand better. Mine were both holding the sticks straight up and down as that was the best I could do with them before reading this thread (I'm not in the habit of pulling on figures' heads, it just hinks me out too much :D ) and learning that the cape can be removed. Now I've got one capeless to show off the figures' detailing a little better.

All in all, I'd like a "collection 2" version - a little taller and with a few more joints. Not a bad design, just limited in what it can do straight out of the package without instructions.