PDA

View Full Version : Count Dooku -- ROTS figure #13 reviewed

armypunk35
04-03-2005, 11:23 PM
The new Dooku is probably the best figure I have ever owned. I am not a big Dooku fan, but I got all the dark side figures and he has (If I counted right) 23 POINTS OF ARTICULATION!!! You can pose him just about any damn way you please. He has wrist, shoulder, bicep and forearm. Plus his knees bend! Why couldn't they have made Anakin, Obi Wan and Vader like this?? Any way, Dooku and Chewie are easily the best ones!

LTBasker
04-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah he's pretty nice if you want a basic Dooku, he's not good for fight poses though. Ironically though he has the hole in his belt for mounting an unactivated saber, he has no unactivated lightsaber hilt (I checked behind the image insert) nor does his lightsaber have a peg. Perhaps someone could use the metal hilt from the last Dooku basic figure and put one of those AOTC peg magnets into the hole.

His head isn't ball-jointed and is pre-positioned to make him seem like he's depressed, the knee joints are annoying because of the lack of ball joints there, the swivel joint is at the shin which is redudant. He has trouble standing due to this. Also there aren't ball joints in the elbows which severely limits arm poses. The cloth cape is a huge plus though.

He would be really good for things like scene dioramas where he's mostly still like an Arena diorama.

Bacta Beast
04-04-2005, 01:38 AM
I think the Dooku was great, but Chewie is a big let down to me. :dis: Down with action features!!!!! :frus: But you are so right about Anakin and Obi, just gives us one of each that are half way decent please!!!!! All the other jedi are great, why can't we get decent versions of these two!!!!????

Jayspawn
04-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Well said armypunk35, the new Count Dooku figure is one of the best they've ever made. The articulation is great! I've got him into some cool fight poses. A lightsaber hilt wold have been great but still one of the best anyways.

mm74md
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
The new Dooku is probably the best figure I have ever owned. I am not a big Dooku fan, but I got all the dark side figures and he has (If I counted right) 23 POINTS OF ARTICULATION!!! You can pose him just about any damn way you please. He has wrist, shoulder, bicep and forearm. Plus his knees bend! Why couldn't they have made Anakin, Obi Wan and Vader like this?? Any way, Dooku and Chewie are easily the best ones!

:frus: Great, now I need to go buy another one to open! ;)

DarkArtist
04-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm actually sort of upset with the Dooku figure. I know many on these forums are tired of Hasbro using action features and spoiler versions of the characters but I for one was hoping that...

(Mod edit: minor spoiler ahead.)

...the dooku would have removable hands and head feature. :( :( :( :( :)

Sith Lord 0498
04-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm actually sort of upset with the Dooku figure. I know many on these forums are tired of Hasbro using action features and spoiler versions of the characters but I for one was hoping that the dooku would have...

Technically, it does if you pop the parts out of the pegholes. Not exactly intended but effective enough.

hestep99
04-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm actually sort of upset with the Dooku figure. I know many on these forums are tired of Hasbro using action features and spoiler versions of the characters but I for one was hoping that the dooku would have...

I hope this isn't what happens, you know some of us are trying to stay as spoiler free as possible. Peace!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Umm, spoilers!

Anyway, the reason he doesn't have a ball-joint neck or wrist (not forearm) articulation is so you can *ahem* re-enact the movie scenes. The peg in his left arm broke for me, that made me mad, though his arm still kind of stays connected. His silver thing on his cape was done poorly, after touching it a few times it's unraveled about halfway through.

plasticfetish
04-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Spoiler, spoiler, who's got the spoiler? Don't go quoting the spoiler in your post and then complain about it. lol

-----

I really love this figure. It's not exactly perfect, but it's everything that I wanted from a Dooku figure... and maybe a little more. ;)

mabudonicus
04-13-2005, 07:11 AM
BTW his head IS ball-jointed, LT, and if you're not careful the silver string can get caught up inside his neck/torso

What is with how one shoulder is always higher than the other on Dooku figures??
I'm pretty sure he's no hunchback...???

And it is funny how he's the opposite of the preview GG, who had a pegged sabre with no belt hole :beard:

plasticfetish
07-14-2005, 05:43 AM
Count Dooku, "Revenge of the Sith", figure #13 reviewed.

_____

A few days ago I was haunting the toy isles at a local store, when a mother who had been searching through the section full of Star Wars toys, stopped me to ask if I knew where she could find the (ROTS #13) Count Dooku figure. She explained, as the two boys with her looked on, that her third and youngest son was really into "Revenge of the Sith" toys, but that he still needed the Dooku figure. After watching her swim through hanging rows full of Neimoidian Warriors and the occasional Bail Organa figure (with poorly painted and crooked beard) I was sorry to see her come up empty handed. I told her that I hadn't seen the figure in stores lately. I mentioned a few other local shops where they might look, and then I suggested that she should look online also.

She hadn't thought about looking for the figure online and was happy that I'd suggested it. The three of them wandered off, and I was left there to wonder, "Where did all of those Count Dooku figures go anyway?" At one point the pegs were full of the first 32 figures, but now they're mostly gone. (Mostly.) That's a good thing I'm sure. It means that the "Revenge of the Sith" line was a successful one, and I'm not at all surprised to still find someone out hunting for a figure like Count Dooku -- even now.

With talk about the "Vintage Original Trilogy Collection" (VOTC) style figures returning, and with plenty of speculation going around about whether or not we'll ever see certain prequel figures produced with that kind of detail and articulation, it almost seems like a pointless discussion when you look at a great "basic" figure like this one. Here's what I'm talking about...

The packaging is a common sight now. Once looked at as a bold departure from the old classic bubble-on-a-square-card design -- lately it's become old hat. Dooku comes pinched floating in the middle of the bubble with his saber crossed in front of him. His cape is pressed tight by the molded insert, while his stand (a nice little bit of scenery) lays below and behind him on the card.

This presentation is decent if not a bit mediocre. The figure's pose on the card is a little dull I suppose, as it does nothing to hint at the articulation that you'll discover once you've carved your way past all of the clear tape on the cardback. (It seems that 2005 has turned out to be "the year of the clear tape" for Hasbro.)

The figure looks great once you've got it loose. Hasbro has managed to do good face sculpts of Christopher Lee in the past, and this one's no exception. The detail and proportion seem just right (as right as they can be at this scale I suppose) and the paint, though simple, is very nice. Before I made a comment about the paint on the Bail Organa figure's head being less than acceptable, and as a matter of fact, I've yet to find one that I like. In this case, the features are painted well, with no "crazy" eyes or anything of that sort, and though the beard isn't exactly perfect, the color isn't a huge contrast to the skin tone, so any flaws are less noticeable and very forgivable.

The rest of the figure is handled with the same kind of success for the most part. The hands are sculpted into great poses, and I can't say how happy I am that his lightsaber fits into his right hand nicely. It seems like a silly comment to make, but sometimes Hasbro fails when it comes to how or if the figure can hold it's accessories. The body sculpt is a simple one as it should be, with some subtle creases molded into his tunic and pants. The boots are again well done and simple, as is his belt. The paint on the body is... well... he's mostly brown. There's not much going on there, but that's the way it should be. The saber -- that great Count Dooku saber -- is sculpted and painted well. The blade ends up being a kind of watermellon-flavored-Jolly Rancher-pink, but I'm not really bothered by it.

If I have one complaint at all, and this has grown to annoy me more and more over time, it's with how Hasbro produced his cape. I love softgoods on these figures, but every time we get something where the neck is stitched too tight, or the edges are unfinished causing the cloth to curl or fray, I kind of cringe. In this case it's possible to fiddle with the cape, getting it to look decent, but I'd be much happier if the final product wasn't hurt by this kind of lazy handling of the softgoods.

The toy feels to be very well made otherwise. Nothing beats a figure with this kind of articulation that also has tight, nicely fitted joints, as well as good solid plastic parts. He bends, he stands, he poses without wilting and he even snaps apart in all the "right" places (wink-wink.)

The figure's play value is extremely good as a result of it's quality. It's possible to bend Dooku into all manner of poses -- a joy to both kids and collectors alike -- but most unexpected is the fact that you can remove, by popping them loose, Dooku's head and hands. It's a little difficult at first, because the parts are stiff, but with care (and an unhealthy influence from the dark side I suppose) you too can reenact Count Dooku's final moments on screen. Now that's play value!

So, would I recommend that you try and find this figure if you don't already own it? Yes -- It's a solidly decent figure, one of my favorites from the ROTS line, and well worth the hunt. Though, if you can't find him at all, and you'd rather not shop online, it looks as though this figure will eventually be available as part of a KB Toys exclusive "Collector Pack". If you're simply not impressed with (ROTS #13) Count Dooku, you might even want to wait for the upcoming "The Sith" Evolutions set, which contains what looks to be an equally, if not entirely more amazing figure of the once mighty Darth Tyranus.

_____

Photos of Count Dooku, "Revenge of the Sith", figure #13 can be found >> HERE (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=2064).

ROTJLuke
07-15-2005, 02:46 AM
I like this figure, I thought it was a great sculpt, and it looks great loose (Im a carded collector, so this one stayed boxed)

JediTricks
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
My only complaints are that he's constantly gazing downward, one of his removable (intentionally?) forearms is a peg instead of a hole, he can't hold his weapon all that well, and his soft-goods cape doesn't cooperate - instead sticking out to the sides. Still, a pretty good figure and a very good likeness.

plasticfetish
07-16-2005, 04:03 PM
one of his removable (intentionally?) forearms is a peg instead of a hole, he can't hold his weapon all that well, and his soft-goods cape doesn't cooperate - instead sticking out to the sides.Yeah... who knows if they really did the removable hand/head thing on purpose. I'd like to think so, but...

Can't hold his weapon? See, mine works great, so it's probably another one of those things where it depends on the figure you get. :ermm:

The cape's got problems. Yeah, the "curled edges" thing bugs me too.

-----

You know, I really do like this one. It's fun to fiddle around with, but I can almost bet that once I get the Evolutions Dooku, this one's gonna live in a ziplock bag forever. That thing looks great, as long as it really does end up as good as the proto version that we're seeing.

JediTricks
07-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Can't hold his weapon? See, mine works great, so it's probably another one of those things where it depends on the figure you get.I saw yours in the photos, it looked like mine, loose so it holds but won't take poses for very long.

As for the Evo version, none of the Evo's I've seen so far actually look as good as their protos, so I bet this ROTS one will be the best version.

Devo
10-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Its worth noting at this point that this SA Dooku is unsurpassed by the evolutions figures thus far and Red leader pilot Obi. Contrary to what someone said on page one of this rather old thread this figure can be put in great duelling poses (double handed grips both attacking and defending) - compare that with Pilot Obi or evolutions anakin who can hold sabres with 2 hands for sure - but only in neutral posing positions (which is why I'd like preposed sabre duel figures).

This figure still ranks as one of my favourite star wars figures ever. And from pics I've seen of Evolutions Dooku it will remain unchallenged.