PDA

View Full Version : any problems with the new packaging?

steve3p0
04-04-2005, 10:37 PM
i found a red royal guard today. i notice the tape on the back of the card does not adhere to the card back. at first i thought someone opened it, but it seems more like the tape just doesn't want to hold onto the card back.

this is the only instance i've seen of anything like this. has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Ji'dai
04-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Heck ya! You just opened a can of worms there. Not too many collectors pleased about the sloppy tape application.

I wonder how long it will be before the tape begins to yellow. I like the new packaging style, but I really don't get Hasbro's thinking on using the tape.

Spinosaurus2004
04-04-2005, 11:13 PM
I find the new packaging to be very annoying. It's so hard to get a figure open because of the damn tape. Why can't they just make it like they did in the old days where you could just peel off the plastic bubble?

steve3p0
04-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Ji'dai, your comment about the tape also made me wonder how long it will hold up. tape doesn't last forever, i wonder when these will begin opening by themselves.

i am also noticing alot of scratching to the bubbles. these have only been on the shelves for a few days now, yet i see nearly every figure is picking up some scratching.

the design is unique for sure and kind of cool, but i really hope they eventually go back to the saga shape and otc style.

CrunchyNug
04-04-2005, 11:56 PM
One of my Blue Guards has packaging tissue sticking off the corner. Kinda like when you get toilet paper stuck to your shoe!!!

Machina3317
04-05-2005, 12:34 AM
I bought a Shaak Ti figure today from TRU and I didn't notice till I got home but the name on the front of the package says Agen Kolar. Is this worth hanging on to, or should I take it back and try to find the correct packaging?

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 01:58 AM
That's a keen error, I'd hang onto it sealed if I were you, a fun display or trade piece if nothing else.

As for the packaging, the only problems I've had are that I hate how the bubble is attached. ;) I've seen both kinds of taped tabs, the ugly third layer of tape is a bit of an extra frustration and makes things messy, but I haven't seen any tape that wasn't attached to the cardback.

Slicker
04-05-2005, 02:25 AM
One of my Blue Guards has packaging tissue sticking off the corner. Kinda like when you get toilet paper stuck to your shoe!!!I had this same thing happen but thankfully I noticed it before I made it to the checkout. To be honest I still don't see a need for the tape. All they have to do is use a little bit of glue.

LTBasker
04-05-2005, 04:24 AM
*takes a deep breath*

1. The tape. Hardly collector friendly nor kid friendly and vastly pointless in every way. There's no reason they could not have just glued the bubble to the card. The tape was probably an even more expensive maneuver making it even more pointless as it's hideous.

2. The top curve. While this does add a slight "freshness" to the card design it makes the bubble very much impracticle for storage. Theres very little excess that you can lay the other figures on so they take up even more room.

3. Easy wear. The wings on the side of the package that represent the protruding edges of the Vader helmet can easily be worn down with collectors just sliding their hands past them looking at figures behind'em. Also the J-hook is too thin,

4. No flat sides. Hanging this card design is extremely difficult if you're just going by how it lines up with the figure next to it. Why? Because you can't put the sides flush against the other figure. You have to run something flat along the bottom.

5. Bubble centering. Since the bubble pretty much goes along the three edges towards the bottom, it can lead to some very badly centered figures. You can get a figure with the bubble bottom being flush with the bottom of the card, or you can get a figure with the card bottom protruding about a centimeter out from the bubble.

6. Unlisted accessories. Since Hasbro has decided to put extra accessory bits behind the character's picture cut-out, most people have been missing them easily. Not really just from looking at the tray from the front, but also even if you tilt it to look behind, chances are they'll mostly blend-in as you wouldn't expect them to be there anyways. However the biggest problem is that most collectors don't even know what accessories are supposed to be there because they're not listed on the package.

I really hope this doesn't go past the 2005 figures. It's hard to believe we can get packaging with so many flaws after the epitome of figure packaging that was the OTC line.

samskull
04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm sure Hasbro doesn't spring for the Archival Tape so expect yellowing and deterioration. Maybe the bubbles will hold up better than the POTF2....not!

Lman316
04-05-2005, 10:41 AM
I agree with the aforementioned points... and it's just a pain to get open. I mentioned in another thread that I cut under a fingernail trying to get the packaging apart.

Another thing I've noticed - although very trivial - is that the "J-hook" is backwards compared to other cards. Over the years I guess I've developed an instinctive behavior on how to get figures off the hooks. But the past couple times I've been in the stores, I keep swinging it the wrong way and they won't come off the peg :P

End...

Lman316
04-09-2005, 12:27 PM
You know, I've been thinking about this packaging and I have to wonder...

I actually think Hasbro was trying to help collector's with this packaging. It obviously seems to have backfired, but their intentions may have been good. Because if the bubble covers the entire card, a collector wouldn't have to worry about pricing stickers. They come right off plastic bubbles.

Just a thought.

End...

Kidhuman
04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
I bought a Shaak Ti figure today from TRU and I didn't notice till I got home but the name on the front of the package says Agen Kolar. Is this worth hanging on to, or should I take it back and try to find the correct packaging?

You should hold on to that. May variant hunters will want that. I saw one similar, Red Saber Palpy #35 with Mace WIndu as the name going for 100 bucks on EBay.

ronhudy
04-09-2005, 12:47 PM
You know, I've been thinking about this packaging and I have to wonder...

I actually think Hasbro was trying to help collector's with this packaging. It obviously seems to have backfired, but their intentions may have been good. Because if the bubble covers the entire card, a collector wouldn't have to worry about pricing stickers. They come right off plastic bubbles.

Just a thought.

End...

I don't know about that...the major retailers don't even use price tags anymore. K-Mart and Kaybee do, but Wal-Mart and Target don't. And I did pick up a Red Saber Palpatine yesterday at Kohl's...and they stick their price tags on the back, so it didn't make a difference there. No sir....Hasbro goofed on this card design in a big way, PARTICULARLY from a collector's point of view.

hestep99
04-09-2005, 02:45 PM
If they had done away with the tiny edges that will hit before anything else it would have been better. Any flub and you will bend these edges. If the card had been smoothed and rounded off it could have worked better.

moulman
04-09-2005, 09:42 PM
I like the slimmer and smaller packaging, and also how the bubble isnt a box, but kinda rounded. Aside from these good points, the tape job is horrible. On the Palpatine I purchased today, the tape was barely sticking to card.

Owell, I guess that happens when you mass produce an item, but I thought Hasbro would of done a better job on this.

WesleySr
04-09-2005, 11:00 PM
You should hold on to that. May variant hunters will want that. I saw one similar, Red Saber Palpy #35 with Mace WIndu as the name going for 100 bucks on EBay.

Kidhuman, I have a Stormtrooper w/ Film Frame that has the film of the stormtrooper, but the caption on the slide is Ishi Tib. I wonder how much that is worth???

moulman
04-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Heres another that I came upon

Mon Mothma as Shaak Ti (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5967362047&rd=1)

Kidhuman
04-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Kidhuman, I have a Stormtrooper w/ Film Frame that has the film of the stormtrooper, but the caption on the slide is Ishi Tib. I wonder how much that is worth???

Its only worth what someone will pay for it. There is no way to put a specific dollar amount on it.

JediTricks
04-10-2005, 05:53 PM
I am seeing more of the bubbles getting damaged, including a few split open in the middle and a lot with scuff marks. I also am starting to get a little annoyed with the lack of instructions, what little is there about the actual figure doesn't really explain enough of what's going on. And I'd like an accessories list, I know to look for them but on some figs it'd be nice to know that there's a removable hat or cloak or what that game boy with Shaak Ti is supposed to be. ;)