PDA

View Full Version : How much did you spend on April 2nd?

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Unless you've been living in a cave, you know that April 2nd, 2005, was the big day for Star Wars merchandise as it was release date Lucasfilm chose for the majority of Revenge of the Sith items. Some Toys R Us and Wal-mart stores had midnight madness events, Target had a special coupon, and each major chain had at least 1 exclusive -- there was certainly no shortage of Star Wars product released on April 2nd. Some collectors spent a lot while others just picked up a few items.

So, from Midnight Madness to online to regular business hours, how much did you spend this April 2nd on Star Wars?

Slicker
04-05-2005, 02:30 AM
After going over all of my receipts again my total came in just over $400. $100 at TRU at MM, $60is at WM right after, $77 at Target in the morning, $143 at WM after that, and another $13 at Target after that (another Lava Vader). So if you add that up it's just over $400.

decadentdave
04-05-2005, 05:04 AM
$2300 the first day and counting!

I dropped $1265 at the first Walmart I went to, $560 the second Walmart, $12.99 at Target for my Lava Vader (-$5.00 Vader gift card balance), then another $300 at Walmart for 10 Early Birds and another $300 at Toys Ain't Us on the games and about 5 Arc-170's. Oh, and I ordered 5 Holo-Yodas from Amazon so that's another $50 plus 2 500th Vaders so that's another $40.

Day 2 I dropped about another $200 picking up some missing stuff.

And that ain't counting the Master Replicas I've pre-ordered so that's about another $2000.

Bantha274
04-05-2005, 07:35 AM
To decadentdave:

Holy crap!! :eek: I just have to ask- why so much? :confused:

I am an old-school SW geek/collector, and even I think that's WAY too much to spend on new stuff.

To each his own I guess...
Enjoy!

dindae
04-05-2005, 07:38 AM
decadentdave you are truely living up to your name. One question why 10 early bird sets? I can see 2,3 or even 4 maybe but 10 I just don't see a need unless they are for others.

darthverbo
04-05-2005, 07:41 AM
I spent around $900 with books and figures. I have to have 2 of every figure. One to open and admire and one to keep MIB. I thought it would be very hard to get the lava Vader so I had family members looking as well.. I only wanted 2 and now I have 5.
I was well over $1000 myself if you count the MR pre-orders. It was a fun midnight madness. I didn't get to bed until 4 AM and had to be at Target at 8 AM for lava vader.
The Wal-MArt manager wan't happy with us. We started opening all the boxes that were still sealed in the isles. Got to do what you got to do!

Battle Droid
04-05-2005, 08:03 AM
$96.00 dollars

waboritas
04-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Nothing. I'm waiting for sales on basic figs. and bigger stuff to to go on clearance, which we all know it will.

bats1990
04-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I ended up with 10 figures ($5.00 each), Target Clone Trooper & cup set ($10.00) Obi-Wan's Jedi Fighter ($20.00) and the novelization (about $20.00).

And a couple weeks ago I purchased the two sided poster from
starwarsshop.com.

I figure every so often I will pick up a figure or two and get my collection that way.

Lazer Brain
04-05-2005, 09:06 AM
ahh decandentdave live the dream! I spent 500+ and would have gotten more if the wife did not have reminded me that it is her birtday this week and i already spent half of what she was going to spend on herself and that the kids needed to eat this month....I got 2 each of the 32 and 4 lava vaders and some more stuff, it was all good. i will have to wait a few weeks until i bleed out my walet again.
later

samskull
04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
I spent just over $100. One BARC speeder bike, 12 Clone troopers, 2 Royal Guard (one each), Chewie, C3PO, Vader, and three Jedi (Ki, Shaak & Agen). The new packaging is a challenge to free the figs from, but once done much fun was had.

Scackmgack
04-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I would have spent a lot more if #33-#40 ever showed up around here, and if the AT-RTs had been in season.

Mmmmmm...AT-RTs.....*drool*

jaxx
04-05-2005, 10:07 AM
I just went to Toys-R-Us and spent about $250 on basic figures, a model, and the chess set. I went to Target at about 3PM the next day, and picked up the Lava Vader (they had one in the back that an employee was holding, so they gave it to me). I could not find figures # 33 (Clone Commander), 34 (Clone Pilot), 35 (Palpatine), or 36 (Exploding General Grievous). Did those figures make it out on the shelves yet??? If not, does anyone know when they will?Also, there were only a very few of the Royal Guards, and those were taken before I could get my hands on them. I would love to find them, but since the stores have a SURPLUS of of the less desired ones, they probably won't get any new orders in any time soon. Bummer!

Decadentdave... what the hell!!?? Over $2G? I can't think of that much stuff to buy. If you got it, spend it... I guess.

Midnight Madness was insane. I saw kids with cardboard cuts across their knuckles from reaching in the bins and trying to grab figures. I saw an older lady hit the ground because some jackasses were shoving people out of the way. A ton of figures were damaged and boxes were crushed because people were grabbing and throwing the "undesired" figures out of the way. I got elbowed in the head several times. Idiots were literally climbing and leaning on my back in an attempt to "gain position" by the bins that were full of figures. There was absolutely no order at all! You'd think that a massive storm was coming and pepole were stocking up on the last bit of water and canned goods. You'd think that since we were all there for the same reason... since we are all, in essence, in the same community... that people would have a little more respect for people.

DanbtheSithLord
04-05-2005, 10:28 AM
HOLY CRAP DECENTDAVE!!! well I kept it calm only around 250 or so but then I learned something from the episode 2 and 1 MM with the exception of the Vehicles and a couple of figs I could get all of the initial release at Jonny's toys for the following 2 years. Heck I could have gotten about Half the figs from the initial AOTC release up until last month. So I focused on getting The Miniatures game at Walmart for SUPERCHEAP, the exclusives, a few figs, and some vehicles specifically the ARC 170 which I had to drive North an hour and a half to find. And comming back home I stopped and found the AT-RT. Of course the fact that my kids will destroy/lose weapons/lose peices/and/or eat half of my initial booty is a buzz kill. Go on ask me why I no longer have a carded G'eoge Sucal.

DanbtheSithLord
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Smack I'm not sure where you are at but I found AT-RT's Saturday Afternoon around 5 at one TRU here in Cincinnati

sunshine
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I bent just a little more than $200

I_Luciferi
04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
My first post.....

Just like with the other two my plan was to get the villian and whatever characters were also in the original trilogy (yoda, the empreror, etc.). Due the amount of exclusives that were thrown at us this year I went way over what I wanted to spend and spent about $100. Seriously, I know its nice to have EVERYTHING but if you think about it most people who buy everything are doing it just to show off or to compensate for something that is lacking in their life. With the exception of maybe 5 toys and the exclusives everything will be there 6 months from now for $2 and then 2 years from now when people are giving them away by the handfuls (anyone want any battle droids or captain tarpals?).

Mandalorian Candidat
04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I spent around $130 on MM and $21 yesterday on 33-36. I already spent $15 on the Lego JSF set a few weeks ago. I wanted to go hog wild like I did for EP2, but I figured that several items would just be hanging around for quite some time. I didn't get Ani, OB1, the senator figures, and most of the Jedi ones. Just yesterday the local WM put out scads more of the ones I decided to wait on which makes me feel better about my decision on holding off.

I really wanted to scoop up the "new" Vader figure case at WM, but it doesn't come with stickers for the EP3 figures, just the OTC ones, and the pack-in Ani and Cloney don't have weapons so, neh.

Ji'dai
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
I spent approximately $178 on April 2. I only bought two Early Birds, a Holo Yoda, and four different basic figures plus doubles of some. There weren't that many "new" figures released, just rescuplts of main characters. And some of those are inferior to previous versions.

Normally I would've bought two of each of the basic figs but I'm apathetic about prequel product, dislike the action features and Hasbro's recent price increase.

With prequel product, I've always waited until the vehicles and deluxe go on sale or clearance if I get them at all.

CaptainSolo1138
04-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I only spent about $20. Got the couple figs I wanted and Darth Tater.

hango fett
04-05-2005, 12:55 PM
just about 400. didn't get any legos, but if i did, it would be about 550 or 600.
HF

Tycho
04-05-2005, 01:14 PM
963.64 - diorama building with 3 3/4" and 12" mostly.

I didn't buy high-end stuff like Master Replicas and Code3.

Rocketboy
04-05-2005, 01:19 PM
$45
2 figures (Vader and Padme)
1 book (Art of ROTS)

I'd have probably spent more if I had it.

LusiferSam
04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Twenty bucks. That's it. I when to Wal-Mart and looked, but just couldn't work up the motivation to buy any figures. So rather than leave empty handed I bought a Lego TIE Fighter.

scruffziller
04-05-2005, 01:32 PM
$2300 the first day and counting!

I dropped $1265 at the first Walmart I went to, $560 the second Walmart, $12.99 at Target for my Lava Vader (-$5.00 Vader gift card balance), then another $300 at Walmart for 10 Early Birds and another $300 at Toys Ain't Us on the games and about 5 Arc-170's. Oh, and I ordered 5 Holo-Yodas from Amazon so that's another $50 plus 2 500th Vaders so that's another $40.

Day 2 I dropped about another $200 picking up some missing stuff.

And that ain't counting the Master Replicas I've pre-ordered so that's about another $2000.

Holy Crap D-Dave, what do you do for a living!!!!!:eek:

decadentdave
04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
To decadentdave:

Holy crap!! I just have to ask- why so much?

Well, I bought 100 Clonetroopers. I have an army building fetish. As for the 10 Early Birds, I'm going to open some to mail away for the figs and the rest I'm going to keep stored away. I have multiples of everything to keep in storage. Don't want to pay inflated scalper prices years down the road so I'm basically set for life. Don't worry, I've been planning for this. I spent $2000 the first day for Episode II and about the same for Episode I.

I'm single and don't have kids so I have all that disposable income to spend on myself. It was a LOT of fun, let me tell you. It is sad that it was the last one but at least my wallet won't be hurting for a while after this.

Tycho
04-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm like DecadentDave.

Single.
No kids.
Saved $3,000 up for this including Celebration 3 and repeated movie viewings.

So far, I've spent a lot less than I thought I would.

I don't collect other toy lines really, so the extra $500-1000 I've not spent I'll set aside exclusively for Star Wars and to army build the rest of the year.

DAVE: I only bought 1/3 of as many Clones as I can use because:

Figure 41 (I think) is another Clone Trooper (different, SA, with Antennae)
3-packs will be battle theater marked, mission specific (I bet - meaning diff. colors)
3-packs will be cheaper for action poses anyway

So I figured I'd wait on some of them.

I'll be buying

23 of the #41 later
7-8 3-packs or, 24 more Clones for action scenes (since they are pre-posed)

It saves me from having extra figures or really ticking off other army-builders in my area.

TCC-1972
04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
I only bought 2 12" Clone Troopers. $40.00 and change.

I wanted a 12" Shaak Ti but she's not out yet.

I'm glad I didn't buy a 12" General Grievous,that thing is a piece of crap! My friend bought one & the arms fall off & warp.:eek:

DarkArtist
04-05-2005, 04:40 PM
NO wonder why some of these figures are MIA. I bought five clones and thought I was being greedy. In total I have spent about $200. that's the usual for me. Have to wait for some more cash before I can get some more.

Hellboy
04-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I already posted this in the "Whats the Damage" thread but figured I'd repeat it here since this is the official "what have you spent poll."

I spent just over $600.00 and ended up with 98 figures, 3 mini vehicles, 2 large vehicles, 2 12" figures, 1 Unleashed, 1 Lava Vader and a Target Clone Trooper Cup. Less than I anticipated spending but I'm by no means done in the army building department. :)

jaxx
04-05-2005, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=I_Luciferi] Seriously, I know its nice to have EVERYTHING but if you think about it most people who buy everything are doing it just to show off or to compensate for something that is lacking in their life. QUOTE]

WOW!!! Harsh words to most. I'm sure that there were a lot of people at Midnight Madness (and several people in this forum) that bought every figure, vehicle, and exclusive, but to say that something might be lacking in their life is a bit harsh. I agree that it might apply to some collectors... that they feel the need to consume everything so they can have that "playground" mentality of "I have something you don't have," (they were probably the ones that always got the ball stolen from them on the playground, or got gum thrown in their hair) but it surely doesn't apply to most. I'd like to think that people buy things because they enjoy the product. I'd like to think that people buy things because they enjoy the story of Star Wars. I think that with some people; however, it becomes an addiction to buy the products... to have all of the products (much like someone with O.C.D). Unfortunately, you have scalpers mixed into the mix, and I honeslty can't stand scalpers. We all know that they're in it for the instant cash and greed. They don't collect for the enjoyment of collecting.

decadentdave
04-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I think that with some people; however, it becomes an addiction to buy the products... to have all of the products (much like someone with O.C.D).

Yup, that's me!!!! I am obsessive compulsive when it comes to Star Wars. When I was a kid, my friend had 20 Stormtroopers but my mom would only buy me one because she said I didn't need another. I was so jealous. If she can only see me now! I guess you could say I suffer from Trooper Envy! :)

03springfield
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Hearing some of those midnight war stories makes me glad to live in a small town sometimes. I was one of about 12 people at Wal Mart when they let us in to buy the toys. There was plenty of stuff for everybody. People were handing each other the items they were looking to buy. I wound up buying nothing at Walmart that night as the Early Bird wasn't available till the morning. Picked up the Early Bird in the morning & Lava Vader. Then the Clone Trooper, Emperor, Grievous' bodyguard, the Vader gift card & another Lava Vader on Sunday.

Tycho
04-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Tycho Psycho-Analyzed:

Seriously, I know its nice to have EVERYTHING but if you think about it most people who buy everything are doing it just to show off or to compensate for something that is lacking in their life.

I'll agree:

1) I lack common sense

2) I've selfishly bought toys to "get mine first," when I could and often think about donating a lot of the money I make to charities I currently contribute to by volunteer hours. My "rationale" is: I've given to myself through 6 movies of Star Wars stuff, presumably to be over with by 2007 (giving them 2 more years to make every cantina alien, etc.); now should start a LIFETIME of giving more to others. - but you're right - I've gone until I'm out of room -and I feel "full."

3) I can't have incredible adventures like Luke, Han, and Leia (and other characters) so I build "models" of those adventures - my diorama scenes. I lack the ability to shoot a lot of people and chop others up with a sword and call my use of my martial arts and other training "justice." It wouldn't be. I'm not in jail because I know right from wrong and my head gets around my emotions which urge me to feel combat would be cool. (In actuality, I am not allowed to serve in the military for medical reasons, and even if I could, would I agree that my orders to go to battle are just or do they serve politicians? In any case, if I won in combat, I couldn't build an Empire and try and set up a state based on my dictatorship's "pure justice" anyway. So I'll build little models of the Empire with my toys and not let the world know how much I'm "mentally screwed up." - Though all of you do that too, though you just won't admit it. (Dream of power....)

4) Once I have all my toys I need to recreate the movies scene by scene (uh, that's a lot of unproduced Padmes...) instead of watch other people's creations in video games or sitcom television, I can do great, large art projects to build the towers of Coruscant or the slave dwellings of Mos Espa, and use "fake-water" resin-molding stuff to create a very challenging Kamino with sculpted waves. I prefer to build and make stuff of my own.

5) Of course I want to show it off. Will you come and see my place when it's done? It's more than bragging "I got a good income and can buy a lot of stuff since after college" - it's also "I think maybe I have some artistic talent and the patience to hang little plastic spaceships from my ceiling in flying poses" and I'd like you to let me know if I have any talent lying there - just because if you collect the stuff too, you'll be like the only other human being who would care.

6) It's a monumental challenge and a huge project that could take years and my ability to pay for a large house to support. It will challenge me in my career and professional life to support my mortgage as well as to establish myself financially in all areas to keep what I've made (and give to charity as in #2 above). I like stuff that's challenging and hard. My sports and other activities usually require being done during competitions and in practice/training with other people. My challenge when I go home at night is to build all of this with my Star Wars stuff. One of my biggest shortcomings (if it is one) is that I cannot sit still or stand to be bored -ever! If I have trouble building Coruscant, I can switch to Otah Gunga and achieve something else and then come back to the Galactic Capital. If I don't want to build, I can go odd places like Pet Stores to find unusual parts and pieces (like stuff for aquariums and terraniums to make my scenes look better). So I can never be bored and always have something huge to work on and do.

Finally, my life is not empty. I'm blessed to have a great girlfriend and many friends, and an interesting and impressive career going - but I'm obsessive and always want more. This hobby has really helped me meet my saturation point! Now if Jango Fett could move out of my way, I'll have a little more elbow room to type ;)

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I spent $90 on Star Wars at TRU on Midnight Madness, and another $70 at Target on Saturday afternoon. At TRU, I picked up a Force Battlers Vader, 12" Grievous, and 11 basic figures (only duplicate was Grievous' Bodyguard); at the 2 Targets I hit 16 hours later or so, I got a total of 2 basic figs (1 of which was a second Clone Trooper), Force Battlers Grievous, Grievous' Wheel Bike, the Falcon/B-wing Micro Vehicles set, and Lego Droid Tri-Fighter and AT-RT. I only spent $165-ish total, but I had a good time and I bought only items I wanted (except Grievous Force Battler who is crappy and was a spur-of-the-moment err in judgement, but that too was part of the fun I guess), I would have bought more, but none of the stores had anything from my list over fig #24, the ARC-170, or the AT-RT. All in all, I am sorta glad Saga broke me of being a completist, it was more fun this way and that's what's important to me, the fun.

decadentdave, talk about living up to your name! (drat, I see someone already made that joke ;)) Wow that's a lot of dough spent, I never imagined anybody spending so much in the course of a weekend (as is evident by my poll options only going to $1000 :p). Judging from all the posts commenting on your purchase in this thread, I'd say you "won". :D

jaxx, that sounds SO different from my TRU MM experience, it was very calm for the most part, very quick, not particularly frenzied, even the mad crush at the basic figures on the wall wasn't that bad.

I'm glad I didn't buy a 12" General Grievous,that thing is a piece of crap! My friend bought one & the arms fall off & warp.:eek: I bought him, what you said about the arms falling off is so true, the elbows are tiny shallow ball-joints and don't work very well at all. The hands also can't hold sabers because they're so thin and rubbery. He has a good cloak, and is ok to look at in package but that's about it. Heck, his paint is pretty weak and looks to be missing a few apps, so he's not even that great in the box.

I_Luciferi
04-05-2005, 09:56 PM
wow touched a nerve with some.

sure there are exceptions to every rule. But as a whole the collectors like that that I have encountered have been of the "i am better than you because I own the force, and it was so limited that you had to create the force in order to own it" mentality. And something in them is very, very empty. (see the post I made about my midnight madness almost brawl) There is obsession and there is psychosis. All I am saying is that some people need to sit down and look at their life and the void they are filling with little plastic repesentations of characters that some sci-fi geek made up in his spare time during film school. George Lucas uses the bathroom like the rest of us. Now on the other hand, if you are loaded like it aint no ones business and just want to throw a huge party and swim in pools of toys while you drink your Yoda-dew just because you can, more power to you. We all have our geeky-ness, hell I have tattoos of movie characters (none of them star wars....yet) so its not even an attack on fandom.

Tycho: I think we should talk sometime.

decadentdave
04-05-2005, 10:06 PM
All I am saying is that some people need to sit down and look at their life and the void they are filling with little plastic repesentations of characters that some sci-fi geek made up in his spare time during film school.

Yeah, well, not everybody can be George W. Lucas. Some of us have found nirvana in collecting the toys and it has given us a purpose in life. For that I am thankful that I am the person that I am. My life could have been empty and pointless and I could have been a boozer, a drug addict, or had a dysfunctional family like most people's parents I know. I am fortunate that my life has turned out as fun and as happy as I am. Thank you George.

sithlordgrievous
04-05-2005, 10:10 PM
well i spent 2,900 on the 2nd 300.00 the next day and to day 80.00 plus a week before the 2nd 180.00 on legos i was up 24 hours no sleep i sleeped in the parking lot of target.

bobafrett
04-05-2005, 10:27 PM
$511.16 between Target and Wal-Mart. More spending planned.

Darth Alex
04-05-2005, 10:31 PM
To throw my hat in the ring, I picked $400-$600.
I know between midnight and then going back out between 6am and 10:30am EST, I spent $500 cash on a wide variety of things, and suprisingly(go ahead and laugh, SL 0498) not many army builders.
I bought the novel, the DK visual dictionary, and a good bunch of toys.
For all the temptation to, I didn't go too nuts....stuck to my game plan, and the only vanity purcahse was the 12" clonetrooper.
Walmart made it easy with the layaway, which has saved my butt in the past when I was low on cash. I'm using the layaway this time to get some things I know I want one of...like the new Gunship, but don't need open right now.
When I include the figures I found early(I mean, some of which Sith Lord 0498 FOUND early, thank you again) and the army builders I am caving in for already and both outright buying and layawaying, yeah, we're easily into the $800-$900 range.

I would feel like a geek, buuuuuut....I've been saving and planning this for a long time, and enjoying it all. I can't WAIT for numbers 33-40 to show up(basic figures) and look forward to the movie most of all...

Kidhuman
04-05-2005, 11:22 PM
My total came ot justshy of 200 bucks. But then 2 days later I found 33-39 and spent another 50 bucks.

Astromech
04-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Dec-dave, you are my hero. ;-)

I had a great day. Lots of retail nearby so I got to experience a lot.
Target #1 - 8AM
Hit my closest Target at opening, didn't get a Lava Vader. Got an Ultimate Villian, and Grevious and Obi cups. No luck on CT cup.

Target #2 - 8:40AM
Scored two of the Lava Vaders (curiously nobody at this location). Passed on everything else. Stupidly.

Target #3 - 9AM
TOTALLY picked over by 9AM. Couldn't believe it. No clone trooper cups, no, 12" left, no Lava Vaders. Most vehicles gone. Suspect inside job.

Target #4 - 9:45AM
Scored a 12" Clone Trooper. Yeah buddy!

TRU #1 - 10AM
There for the pandemonium of opening. People pushing and shoving. Boxes on pallets being ripped open. Unbelievable. Only able to jocky in for a Palpetine 12"

HAD TO WORK FROM 10:30-3:30PM

Walmart - 4PM
Scored a movie poster 2006 calendar for $5 and a Mon Mothma. (first reg. AF since I dig her from the EU) I'll get more 3.75s later.

TRU #2 - 4:30PM
FINALLY scored a restocked Anikin/Obi Unleashed combo. Truly awesome.

Then went home and ripped into most of it (besides the collector stuff)

GREAT DAY~!!!!!!!

I_Luciferi
04-06-2005, 01:51 AM
wow, i REALLY touched a nerve I don't mean any offense so there is no need for any hostility. All I am saying is if thats your thing cool, but realize its not a religion and there is more to life. the reason we demonize drug addicts is because of the lengths they go and their obsession with drugs.....how different is that than obsessing over toys? (i can already hear someone groaning and a sandpaper like sound of eyes rolling)

decadentdave
04-06-2005, 01:59 AM
<groaning... rolls eyes>

The difference between a Drug Addict and a Star Wars Collector is that Drug Addicts usually end up dead from their addiction. I don't know any collector who has yet to O.D. on Star Wars toys. Be sure I will probably be the first if there is though. :crazed:

dindae
04-06-2005, 07:35 AM
I don't know any collector who has yet to O.D. on Star Wars toys.

I don't know what are the long term effects of sniffing mouse droids? Tycho could be in serious trouble. :D

Spinosaurus2004
04-06-2005, 08:31 AM
I only spent like 80 dollars since my b-day is coming up in June so I don't see the sense in buying everything now when I can get some of it then and not have to pay for it.

jedi master sal
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I spent $1300. (If you include sneak preview stuff then the total would come to $1450.)

I don't have a list of things I bought at KMart (but one from memory is after this list). Here's the list of stuff I got from Target, Wal*Mart, and TRU combined as well as some Suncoast stuff:

1 Grievous Figure/Cup set (Target Exclusive)
1 Obi-wan Figure/Cup set (Target Exclusive)
2 Clone trooper Figure/Cup sets (Target Exclusive)
C-3PO mini Bust (Gentle Giant)
IG-88 mini Bust (Gentle Giant)
12 inch General Grievous
12 inch Clone Trooper
Bust-up Boba Fett
ARC-170 starfighter
Giant Yoda PEZ (Toys R Us exclusive)
Giant C-3PO PEZ (Toys R Us exclusive)
Giant "Silver" Darth vader PEZ (Toys R Us exclusive)
Pez Grievous
Pez Boba Fett
Lenticular Anakin/Vader tin w/M&M's inside
Lenticular Yoda/Grievous tin w/M&M's inside
New Micro line of B-wing/Millemnium Falcon
New Micro line of Sandcrawler/Landspeeder
New Micro line of A-wing/Tie Fighter
Chewie Electronic sucker
Vader Electronic sucker
Galactic Heroes Palpatine/Yoda
Collectors double pack tins w/M&M inside (different
from above)
Yoda/Vade/Chewbacca heads w/candy inside
Death Star/C-3PO/Anakin mini M&M dispensers
C-3PO/Vader/Large Vader Coloring books
Chewie/R2 gel thingamabob's (ha can't remember the
names of what they are-first time for everything)
Chewie/Vader M&M dispensers
Actions figures of:
Aayla Secura
Luminara Unduli
Anakin (#28)
Obi-wan (#27)
RED royal guard (The only one in all of the 30+ cases
that the Wal*Mart had!)
General Greivous
37 Clonetroopers (My grand total was 40 including the 3 I got from KMart-see below)
14 Battle droids
8 Magna Guards (Grievous's bodyguards) (one kept
carded the others I opened)
6 Blue Senate Guards (one kept carded the others I
opened as well)
1 Complete Case of figures #13-24 (Wal*Mart)-including getting to keep the box
A complete set of the small PEZ, at Wal*Mart including the "exclusive" GITD (glow in the dark) Palpatine

Going from memory I got the following from KMart:
Figs 1-26 except #9 Grievous
2 more Clones on top of the other figs.
2 more Battle Droids
3 Barc Speederbikes
Boga
Unleashed Obi (2), Anakin (2), Grievous (1)
Force Battler Vader
Force Battler Grievous
Galactic Heroes Ani/Dooku (2), Grievous/Obi (2), Palpatine/Yoda (1)

I'm sure there's more, but I can't remember it all at the moment. I've got a list at home, but I'm at work right now.

Also, if we were to include Sneak preview stuff, then I'd have to add $150 dollars and that list would be:
2 Anakin Jedi Starfighters
1 Obi Jedi Starfighter
1 Grievous Wheelbike
1 Tion Meddon
2 of the R2 droid
2 Grievous
6 Wookiee Warriors

So that's my near complete haul on 4/2.
(I've got $200 worth of the books on hold for me til Friday, but since that's not 4/2 I won't count it.)

-Sal

El Chuxter
04-06-2005, 10:58 AM
decadentdave, sal: You guys have just gotten me over the buyer's remorse I inevitably suffer whenever I spend more than $50 at a time. :)

I counted the books I purchased online a couple of days prior in my total, which was somewhere in the range of. . . let's just say when we move in a few months and don't have enough money for a fridge, I've got some 'splaining to do. :)

The 'Xir
04-06-2005, 11:18 AM
I put about a little bit more than $400 down on Layaway at my Walmarts MM! Then spent about $45 on the book and Audio cd's and something else I can't remember at the moment! What ****ed me off was that my walmart told me they were having the tent event w/ Early bird specials which they had none of!!! :mad: had to order 1 online and will pay about $8 more than if they had had it at the store, but as long as I get one that's all I care about! :greedy:

TheCivilCollector
04-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Thank you so much for buying hundreds of multiples the first night they were available.

I am in school again (a rather expensive one) and cannot afford the whole lineup. Instead, I have to enjoy buying A FIGURE(one) every now and then. Because of studies Friday and class Saturday morning, I couldn't get to the stores. There were two figures I wanted- clonetrooper and Bodyguard.

Thanks to the multiple buyers out there I couldn't find A SINGLE ONE at three stores. Now, I don't mean to give everyone a sob story- God knows I hate that. But, couldn't you at least WAIT A COUPLE WEEKS FOR A SECOND SHIPMENT BEFORE BUYING THE WHOLE STORE OUT OF TWO FREAKING CHARACTERS?!?!?!?!?!

Yes, I'm t-ed off, and yes, I'm one of those guys who will give you crap at a store if I see you buying more than 2. Two figs I understand- one to open, one to put away. Anything else is greedy and narcissistic.

Oh yeah, god forbid A CHILD who might want one gets any.

Dave, if buying figures is what makes your life fun or worthwhile, you seriously need to re-examine it. I'm not dissing you here, I'm genuinely concerned.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
But, couldn't you at least WAIT A COUPLE WEEKS FOR A SECOND SHIPMENT
And the reason YOU can't wait is.................?

decadentdave
04-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Sorry you couldn't find the figs you needed but in my area there are still HUNDREDS more Clonetroopers to go round. In fact, I went to all the Walmarts again yesterday and they had PLENTY of every figure including Clone Pilots and Red Palpatines. Like I said, I planned for this. I'm not a hoarder or scalper. I collect for myself. I bought what I wanted for scene building. It's my money and I can spend it the way I want.

Don't worry about me. I'm having FUN!!!! My life is GREAT!!! To each his own. I mean, what else am I going to do with my life? Get married? Have kids? NO WAY!!!! I am not a number... I am a FREE MAN!!!!!

hestep99
04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I spent 260 but had 60 bucks worth of gift cards that I didn't technically spend so it eased the burden considerably. I just took back some dvds that I bought and relized I wouldn't watch them more than one or two more times so anyways.

Tycho
04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Sorry you couldn't find the figs you needed but in my area there are still HUNDREDS more Clonetroopers to go round. In fact, I went to all the Walmarts again yesterday and they had PLENTY of every figure including Clone Pilots and Red Palpatines. Like I said, I planned for this. I'm not a hoarder or scalper. I collect for myself. I bought what I wanted for scene building. It's my money and I can spend it the way I want.

Don't worry about me. I'm having FUN!!!! My life is GREAT!!! To each his own. I mean, what else am I going to do with my life? Get married? Have kids? NO WAY!!!! I am not a number... I am a FREE MAN!!!!!

Bravo DecadentDave! I could have written exactly the same senitments you did.

TheCivilCollector
04-07-2005, 10:44 PM
And the reason YOU can't wait is.................?

The same reason everyone else here went out to TRU and Target at midnight. I was excited to get my hands on the new stuff.

I'm sure I came off as ::ahem:: frustrated in my last post, because I am. I don't see the need to buy out hundreds of the same figure the first weekend. It's true- It's your money, Dave, and you can spend it any way you'd like. You chose to spend it by helping screw your fellow collector.

morpheus282
04-07-2005, 11:26 PM
grand total - $20. four figures - spinning yoda, four arm greivous, kit fisto, and aayla secura. most of these were rather disappointing, but i may just be burned out. aayla was an excellent sculpt, but seems to be falling apart straight out of the package. kit looks ok, but i think the first sculpt was better.

__________________________________________________ __
passionate collector from '77 - '00. part time diversion now. trying to unload some extra stuff, so if you're looking for the elusive item - i may have it!

decadentdave
04-08-2005, 12:07 AM
It's true- It's your money, Dave, and you can spend it any way you'd like. You chose to spend it by helping screw your fellow collector.

Try telling that to your fellow collector who bought up all the red Senate Guards at Target as soon as the doors opened at 8 am. I didn't even get one. Walmart only had the blue ones. One... ONE individual at Target cherry picked all the red guards. That's okay. I can wait. I got what I wanted. This stuff will be around all year. In fact, I have a better chance of getting Red Senate Guards dirt cheap at KB Toys by the end of the year. Point is, I wanted a Clone Army and by God I have one! :evil:

Tycho
04-08-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm sure I came off as ::ahem:: frustrated in my last post, because I am. I don't see the need to buy out hundreds of the same figure the first weekend. It's true- It's your money, Dave, and you can spend it any way you'd like. You chose to spend it by helping screw your fellow collector.

I bought the same way as Dave did.

Our hobby is building dioramas with whatever it takes: 50 Stormtroopers for a "Palpatine's Arrival" from ROTJ, or whatever you see in the movie that's reasonable for our budget.

Also like Dave, I had self-discipline, and saved up money since last August, making sure I put away $300 a month, thereby having a minimum of $2,700 for midnight madness. (I only spent $996 of it or something like that anyway).

Uh...I kind of knew there was going to be Episode 3 after there was Eps 1 & 2.

I kind of knew that there would be toys and I'd want to buy a lot to make dioramas.

I knew that in Spring of 2005, everything was going to be released.

Since I wanted to get all I needed to build the dioramas, I saved the money and then went out and bought it the first time I got the chance.

I do not make it a hobby of frequenting the toy isles. It's necessary if I want the figures to set up the scenes, but once I'm done, I don't have to go back there unless a new wave is released.

What is so hard about planning ahead to save up enough cash?

What is so hard to understand about not wanting to go to Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R Us every day of the week to buy 1 item at a time when you can make 1 trip and buy all the items at the same time?

Criticism rings of jealousy and anger:

anger because someone couldn't discipline themselves to save up the cash for what they wanted...

OR

anger because someone waited, not knowing what they wanted until it was released, and then STILL hadn't saved the cash just in case....

OR

anger because someone's schedule doesn't let them be the first through the door so they could buy up everything instead......

AND

hypocrisy, because if the critic had the means (cash, time, speed, or just the luck) to do what DecadentDave did, I'm betting they would do the same thing as well.

TheCivilCollector
04-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Try telling that to your fellow collector who bought up all the red Senate Guards at Target as soon as the doors opened at 8 am.

As per my first post, that is exactly the kind of thing I can't stand. If I'd have seen him doing that, I would have said something to him and mentioned it to the manager of the store.

My motivation is not jealousy, envy, or the like. I merely think that people in search of ONE action figure should not have to beat the few to the store at 6am who will clean out the entire inventory.

I have nothing against army building- far from it, more power to ya'! I even have 20 stormtroopers myself. I have problems with the fact that someone will knowingly buy up a certain figure while leaving others empty-handed.

CaptainSolo1138
04-08-2005, 06:46 AM
I have nothing against army building- far from it, more power to ya'! I even have 20 stormtroopers myself. Then why the big fuss? :confused:

I have problems with the fact that someone will knowingly buy up a certain figure while leaving others empty-handed.
....and with the amount of stock currently in stores, you'd probably have to wait about twelve minutes before another case was put out.

Kidhuman
04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
The difference between red guards and clone troopers IMO:

Clone troopers bought by army builders(I bought like 5 so far, limited cash)

Red Guards: Bought by scalpers because of the red/blue variant thing going on. Red seemed more rare in this area, I found 1, as a scalper was hunting them down. Havent seen them since, but in WM today I scoped about 40 clones...see the difference...

Tycho
04-08-2005, 09:44 AM
As per my first post, that is exactly the kind of thing I can't stand. If I'd have seen him doing that, I would have said something to him and mentioned it to the manager of the store.

The store manager shouldn't care. The person buying everything is a customer, and it's first-come, first-served. If the store gets annoyed with Star Wars collectors, they might change policy to all of our detriment.

My motivation is not jealousy, envy, or the like. I merely think that people in search of ONE action figure should not have to beat the few to the store at 6am who will clean out the entire inventory.

As an early shopper, (usually 7:45am at an 8am opening store), I don't really want to be there at that time myself. It's 7:36am right now. I'm up getting things ready for work, etc. I have to leave the house and go to Target in the next 10 minutes (right now as I type this), in hopes I can get some Clone Commanders, Palpatine in red, Clone Pilots, etc. - and really for 12" Barriss and Shaak-Ti whom I really want today. Trust me, if I'm still here online posting in now 9 more minutes, it's because I'm really not that hyped about going to Target right now :rolleyes:

However, I WILL NOT really go much later (except I noticed that their stockers work at like 9 or 10 am now, so I could go at Toys R Us opening time...) But I won't go much later because I don't expect good stuff to still be there. That's the way it works.

So if I want it, I go....in 6 more minutes....(groan).

I have nothing against army building- far from it, more power to ya'! I even have 20 stormtroopers myself. I have problems with the fact that someone will knowingly buy up a certain figure while leaving others empty-handed.

If stormtroopers were shipping right now, and I were you and wanted 20, I'd bring the cash for 20 Stormtroopers ($125 plus tax?), go there once at 7:45 in the morning, and buy 20 Stormtroopers.

If someone else was there, right there when I'm physically with them, I'd share with them if they wanted what I was buying. Denying a fellow collector like that is just wrong. If they are not there, I don't know if a scalper or a collector is going to buy the stuff. There's no reason for me to make 20 trips to Target at 7:45am. I really don't like going that much. If I can make 1 trip and it takes buying out their entire inventory I will.

Get more cash.
Get an alarm clock.
Go on a weekend when you don't have school or work.
Do what it takes.

I do. I'm not thrilled about it. But I don't see that I have any special right to have what I'm shopping for when I lazily walk in the store at 11am when I could have gone at 8 - especially when I knew people would be lined up there to buy the same stuff I wanted.

Anyway, got to go. I'm going to wipe out another inventory right now. :D

- and be wishing I could still be in bed....

CaptainSolo1138
04-08-2005, 09:58 AM
(except I noticed that their stockers work at like 9 or 10 am now, so I could go at Toys R Us opening time...)
For what it's worth, the Target in Saginaw, MI eliminated it's overnite team. In turn, stock is now put out midmorning. I'm sure this target is not alone in it's policy change, so your observation is probably with merit.

Tycho
04-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Anyway, I went to both Wal-Mart and Target (8am openers), and got NOTHING for my efforts.

There were plenty of Clone Troopers available for anyone who wanted to add to their armies though.

Any kid can pretty much get a complete set of #1-32 if they want them.

Plus, unlike the Batman line, there's a great assortment of goodguys and badguys out there:

Good Guys:

Anakin
Obi-Wan
Padme
Mace
Yoda
Plo
Ki
Aayla
Luminara
Shaak-Ti
Kit
Bail
Mon Mothma
etc.

Bad Guys

Super Battle Droid
Battle Droid
Darth Vader
Emperor Palpatine
Grievous (4 lightsaber / sneak peak)
Body Guards
Clone Troopers (for when you declare there's an Empire)
etc.

So if a kid wanted to "play Star Wars" - all the factions are well-represented!

I think the current stock will move out slowly:

1) as folks with less cash who wanted more than they got April 2nd, are cozy enough to the product and some surplus income that they can do something about it.

2) as kids who buy on an allowance, do the same with their limited money

3) as the movie hype builds up

4) as soon as the warehouses run out of the first wave cases (#1-32) and hopefully Hasbro doesn't continue shipping them.

By the way, even for army builders like myself, people didn't buy mass amounts of Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids - yet. I need to clear some space to test-set some scenes before I fill in my droids as well.

That'll clear more off the pegs as I've estimated I'll need like 32 droids minimum.

Darth Grifter
04-08-2005, 11:23 AM
My total came ot justshy of 200 bucks. But then 2 days later I found 33-39 and spent another 50 bucks.
i'm with you kid...about 200 and then some more from there...

these over 1000s are astounding. sal, decadentdan, wow! i don't think i have a big enough car to store 1000 worth of toys, but i'm sure i could make it fit, if such was the case ;)

jedi master sal
04-08-2005, 12:21 PM
That's why I have a crew cab truck! Bigger boxes went in the bed and the bags of figs in the backseat.

Oh and since 4/2, I've bought another $300 worth of ROTS stuff. This includes the $200 in books I mentioned in my previous post as well as 3 more clones, and luckily 2 Red Guards, among some other miscellaneous stuff, including yet more food packages. I just want 2 more Red ERG and I'm done with those ones. (Of the food packages, I bought 24 bags of M&M's! I'm down to only needing the middle 24 out of 72 and I'm complete with them!)

All I can say is that I've paid my dues, with hard work and dedication. I've carved out a small niche for myself and collecting is a big part of it.

I busted my butt for 8 years through the military (was in the first Gulf War) and College so that I would have the skills neccessary to obtain a job in the field of MY choosing. It's paid off rather well and now I'm able to afford large purchases like this from time to time. Like Tycho, it takes a little bit of planning, but it can be done if you put your mind to it. I too do not have children to keep me from my obsession. I'm also extremely lucky to have a fiancee who collects (other lines) as well. She completely "gets" it.

To those naysayers or jealous types, this is all I can say. YOU make the choices in you life that put you where you are. Some things may be harder to obtain than others, but you can reach nearly any goal you want if you really want it. Don't put those down who have those opportunities right now. With any luck (and lots of hard work) you'll get there someday. Sure you want it to be now, but many times it doesn't happen that way. Once you come to terms with that you'll do fine. And consequently you'll start to see things from our perspective. You still don't have to agree but your mind will be more open to things.

Okay, now that the philosophical lesson is finished for today, let's get back to how much everyone spent!!!

xboywonder
04-08-2005, 04:50 PM
$7.98 - Darth Tader at Wal-Mart.

Midnight? Yes.
Madness? No.

mrpauldeeds
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
I spent nothing. I know hasbro will totally make too many of these figs, just like Ep I and II. Im waiting for clearence. It just seems the way to go, learning from past mistakes.:frus:

darthjabba
04-09-2005, 05:51 PM
yes that is alot of money but i guess its the way you look at it really? and if all the bills are paid and things are covered go for it~! i myself pinched my wallet so hard george washington was crying haha

later

darthjabba
04-09-2005, 05:55 PM
I also felt crazy buying the stuff i bought at midnight sales but i also have seen figures become impossiable to find and have to pay double or triple the price that i could have bought them new i guess it all comes down to a waiting game and knowing when to jump in a buy

Zoinks~!

decadentdave
04-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Dave's Golden Rule of Collecting:

1. Buy it when you see it (or regret it later).

2. Leave some for the kids.

Happy Hunting! ;)

kool-aid killer
04-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I spent close to $200 on April 2nd, with another fifty this past week. Im not in much of a hurry to pick everything up, since there seems to be plenty of product to go around.