PDA

View Full Version : Any Regrettable MM Purchases?

mm74md
04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Does anyone have any regrets of their purchases? The only disappointment I have is Tarful. I shouldn't have opened him. He looks great in package, but he is kinda worthless loose. Legs don't bend, can't hold his weapon with both hands. And the weapon is pretty lame.

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with the products so far. Especially my beloved ARC-170 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=27387)

Lman316
04-05-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm none too pleased with Chewbacca. He has trouble standing, there's no waste joint, the bowcaster keeps falling out of his hands. I'm thinking I should have waited for a later version.
I don't really like Vader all that much, either. The sculpt is nice, but the figure itself is pretty useless. I hate the action gimmick, he can't hold the saber with both hands, has trouble standing.

So far, that seems to be all I regret buying. I guess I'm lucky... after all, I could have purchased that awful Kit Fisto :p

End...

HighLordDave
04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I saw a lot of people picking up action figures (sometimes multiples)I knew they were going to regret later (the action figure equivalent of going home with the hot girl's not-so-attractive friend at a bar).

I tried to head this off by putting back the wookies, Mon Mothma, pregnant Padme and a couple of the duplicate Anakins, Kenobis and Yoda that I don't really need.

Thankfully, in the light of day, I'm pretty happy with everything I bought after midnight.

tagmac
04-05-2005, 11:29 AM
After picking up the superior deluxe Greivous at target on Saturday morning (TRU never got them), I'm sorry I bought the regular Greivous. Also disappointed in the deluxe Anakin/Vader figure. The cloak looks ridiculous, and with the armor on, it's no different from any other Vader figure I already have. Since I didn't open either of them, I'm returning them this week.

A bit sorry I bought both Obi-Wan's, but I'm torn since I can pose one with the saber at his belt, and the other holding it. At least the Anakin's were two completely different figures.

hestep99
04-05-2005, 12:45 PM
I regret not buying an extra red guard. I found one at WM and bought it then found about 4 at target but I wanted to give eveyone else a chance to get him so I left all them bad boys there. Hopefully it'll come back to me.

Ji'dai
04-05-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm not feeling any buyer's remorse, but then again I took it easy this time around and can count my purchases on one hand. I'll watch (closely) and wait; pick up things as I go.

Sith Lord 0498
04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
There's not much that I bought that I regret.

Basic Figures
Anakin Skywalker ("Alice Cooper eyes")
Mace Windu (Force Combat)
Aayla Secura

Anakin Skywalker's Jedi Starfighter (only b/c Obi-Wan's looks much cooler)

CrossWizard
04-05-2005, 05:29 PM
I didn't buy anything out of impulse so everything I got was because I thought about it and wanted to own.

BanthaPoodoo
04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Bought the Early Bird from WM.com. Cancelled the order last night after reading that they are indeed not original reproductions, but instead new takes on the old thing.... sorry, not interested in that....

mm74md
04-05-2005, 05:34 PM
they are indeed not original reproductions, but instead new takes on the old thing

I'm not up to speed on this set...what does that mean? What thread is that news in?

BanthaPoodoo
04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm not up to speed on this set...what does that mean? What thread is that news in?

In this thread:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=27190

JarJarBinks wrote:

Ok, the card that comes with the Early Bird kit says that they are 'Updated Versions of the Original Early Bird Figures'. So I'm going to call shenanigans here and say that these will be all new sculpts, and not the vintage remolds from the TRU set of old.

After looking at what is inside the box:
http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/revenge_of_the_sith/exclusives/early_bird_certificate_package/009.jpg

I would tend to agree that they are not reproductions but new UPDATED (read: POTF2 style or newer) productions....

Dark Annie
04-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Im pretty happy with all of my basic figures because they look just fine in their packages to me. My #36 greivous and #34 clone pilot are pretty damn kool. I'm not plannin on playing with them, so I have no complaints there. I did get the deluxe Anakin/Darth Vader and Deluxe Obi wan with battle droid because a friend pointed out the variation and there were only one or two with the accessories on the side for Anakin, and only a few with the Battle droids leg off in the case of Deluxe Obiwan. The deluxe figures look like crap and i shouldnt have bought them. I think i will return and get 4 of the basic figures that i still need instead. And i just got my early bird kit from walmart online but havent opened it yet. It looks pretty cool. I especially like it because I always thought the early bird package back in 1977( i wasnt born yet) was a cool idea. Im thinkin maybe i should get another so i that i have one unopened.

beckmen
04-05-2005, 09:09 PM
You cancelled your Early Bird Order??? Don't you get those figs for free, since you already paid for them when you bought the box?

hestep99
04-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I regret not going back to WM and sampling more pop tarts, m&m's, and cheez twists.

JediTricks
04-06-2005, 12:08 AM
On MM, I had Force Battlers Grievous on my question-mark list ("maybe" items) and when I saw him, I didn't get him although I did get the other FB on my question-mark list, Darth Vader. However, the next day at Target, I saw a single FB Grievous and since I had the buck-off coupon anyway, I bought the figure. Unfortunately, while Vader is kinda cool, FB Grievous is pretty lame with only shoulder and elbow articulation (both standard joints, not even universal), a goofy grappling gun, and a lame paint job. FB Grievous is the only MM purchase I definitely regret.

BanthaPoodoo
04-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Yes you get this figures for free, however, because I like the idea of getting a repro figure instead of a complete new sculpt, I decided my $38 (price + shipping) would be better spent elsewhere in previous ones I have missed as well as upcoming ROTS figures.

bobafrett
04-06-2005, 12:26 AM
The only remorse I have is having had to charge my collectibles, and fearing seeing the bill next month, Yikes!

Fluke Skywalker
04-06-2005, 04:44 AM
Maybe the Anakin Preview Starfighter. If I'd known there was going to be a green one with a pack in figure I'd have waited. Good job Habsro, by keeping it a secret until after the preview fighter was released, you will likely milk another few bucks out of me. :greedy:

I don't regret it now, but I can see a year from now, as I search for more space for my collection, looking at that pregnant Padme figure and thinking "Did I really need this?". And, of course, if the early bird figures stink I might regret that purchase too. :dis:

Hellboy
04-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Sad to say but I was disappointed in both 12" figures I purchased, almost to the point of regreting buying them. The Clone Trooper has trouble holding his gun and Grievous' paint app looks nothing like it did in the pictures or the box it comes in for that matter. :(

Sith Lord 0498
04-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Maybe the Anakin Preview Starfighter. If I'd known there was going to be a green one with a pack in figure I'd have waited. Good job Habsro, by keeping it a secret until after the preview fighter was released, you will likely milk another few bucks out of me. :greedy:

Go with the plan I have (if you can). Buy the green Jedi Starfighter, put the Anakin Pilot figure in the sneak preview yellow starfighter, and use the Clone Wars Saesee Tiin figure (this is the part you might not be able to do) for the green fighter. Tiin already has his pilot headgear. Voila!!! Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter--right out of the cartoon!!! :D

Kidhuman
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I am pleased with all the purchases I got.

Wugmanmax
04-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Everything I bought was for my kids, but I still regret buying the Force Battler Grevious for them. They seem to like it, but I think it would have been wiser to either buy the deluxe 3 3/4 Grevious, or the 12 incher. I see this Grevious going into a garage sale bin very quickly. The almost no articulation is what did it. It even looked like he had lots of it in the package, which is part of the reason I picked it up. :(

Accord
04-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Deluxe Vader which I opened and was disappointed at the fit of the pieces.
I bought for my toddler son the Vader Battler w/ shield. However, I returned it and bought the Playskool version with the light up saber. It was cheaper and had more features. Plus it was compatible to the Luke x wing pilot version.

BanthaPoodoo
04-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes you get this figures for free, however, because I like the idea of getting a repro figure instead of a complete new sculpt, I decided my $38 (price + shipping) would be better spent elsewhere in previous ones I have missed as well as upcoming ROTS figures.

Well, apparently the cancel didnt go through in time. I now am the owner of the WM early bird special. I sort of did want it, but being the type that loves things in the perfect package, I hate you have to crack into it to get the figurs.

Guess I'll have to try and get the figures now! No since in keeping the box with no figures LOL!

jedi master sal
04-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm kind of regretting how much I spent. I went over budget by about $250. But hey, I got my clone/battle droid/Grievous bodyguard/Blue Senate Guard Armies built in one shot. So, it should be alot easier for me to collect the rest of the line in the coming months.

AmanaMatt
04-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Single carded Vader is kinda crappy out of package, but the incredible Dooku more than makes up for that fig (incredible facial detail).....Tarful is weaker than I was hoping, but once I get done repainting him, he should look sweet.

Lman316
04-06-2005, 09:25 PM
There's not much that I bought that I regret.

Basic Figures
Anakin Skywalker ("Alice Cooper eyes")
Mace Windu (Force Combat)
Aayla Secura

Anakin Skywalker's Jedi Starfighter (only b/c Obi-Wan's looks much cooler)

I'm almost in agreement on Aayla Secura. I technically bought that figure during MM (just online) and it arrived today, but I'm not sure I'll count it in the regrettable section. I just have issues with the articulation in that the joints are extremely loose. I'm sure this figure is going to have trouble standing.

Still nothing else troubles me to the point where I regret its purchase... not even stuff I purchased after MM.

End...

Turbowars
04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Just about all of col 1 suckedd big time.
I returned them Sunday.

figrin bran
04-07-2005, 02:34 AM
aayla secura is actually one of my favorites. with a little work, you should be able to get her to stand.

turbo, how can you say that the Col. 1 clone sucks? that's one of my favorites as well.

i do regret buying
Mace Windu
Kit Fisto
Bail Organa
and while not an MM purchase per se but i regret buying the lava vader.

Turbowars
04-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I didn't say the Clone sucked, I said most of Col #1 sucked. I love the clone. I have 5 now.

anti-hero
04-07-2005, 10:49 PM
I regretted buying Ayala Secura the moment I opened the package. With the non articulated elbows she looks like she's doing the safety dance.

I also regret buying kicking Obi Wan (the lightsaber is the only decent part of that figure). I originally bought it because I wanted a neutral pose Obi-Wan. But I didn't realize the left arm was all wonky just like the other Obi-Wan. I was pretty tired that night.

I'm undecided on Mace. I hate that his arms go down to his knees and his facial expression makes him look like a stoned cartoon. But the arms do some great 2 handed lightsaber moves.

The Battle Droid is also kind of iffy for me. Mine can't hold his gun well and his head constantly falls off. I wish they would've had elbow and knee articulation on him like the POTJ one too. It is a decent army builder tho.

I don't know why everyone's so down on Kit Fisto. I bought one yesterday and I love it. Articulation is exactly the same as Dooku's with just a little smaller range of motion on the shoulders. And the ball jointed head is pretty cool, gives it a little range of motion where I expected none due to the dreads. The facial expression sucks, but I can live with that.

sr9
04-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks anti-hero :D I will not buy Ayala Secura and kicking Obi Wan They no elbow Articulation and Mace's arms go down to his knees But I must steel buy because I have a jedi robe off of a AOTC obi wan to put on him and lastly Kit Fisto is a must buy because of the Articulation. He has smaller range of motion on the shoulders. And the ball jointed head. Thanks for the advise :D I am buy my figures next week Apr 16

mephisto designs
04-08-2005, 10:58 AM
What's wrong with Aayla? I love that figure, its an awesome sculpt and I have her in a ready to strike pose, great sculpt on the face, good paint application. People aren't buyin' her just cuz she doesn't have elbow articulation? oh well, shame, its a pretty awesome fig.

anti-hero
04-08-2005, 11:02 AM
What's wrong with Aayla? I love that figure, its an awesome sculpt and I have her in a ready to strike pose, great sculpt on the face, good paint application. People aren't buyin' her just cuz she doesn't have elbow articulation? oh well, shame, its a pretty awesome fig.

I don't like the elbows because they keep the lightsaber too close to her face. She doesn't look like she's blocking or striking, just standing there about to burn her face off. Actually last night I was playin around with her and found a good pose with the hands behind the back. That one looks petty cool.

mephisto designs
04-08-2005, 07:26 PM
I have her with one hand on the saber in a sort of pre-swing defensive stance with a bunch of clones takin' aim at her, her other arm is up, in a futile effort to block the soon to come barrage of blaster bolts. So the lack of elbow articulation doesn't bother me a bit. You can get her into a few cool poses despite the rigid 'bows.

I'm really surprised to see the ROTS Single carded Vader on the list. That's my second favorite Vader they've made in a while, second only to the VOTC. The way I got him posed, looks like he's just prayin' somebody starts a fight with him, its a good solid sculpt, right arms a bit to rigid but M'eh, I'd still give it a 4 out of 5. Good helmet sculpt, that's a big one for me. Cloth robes and cape that actually drapes right (better than the VOTC cape which sits funny no matter what you do).

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 08:46 PM
I can't get that Vader's cape to do anything until I fold the outside 3rds behind the figure. When I first took him out of the package and stood him on a shelf, his cape opened up to it's full width and stayed that way no matter what I did (his skirt is also a little too much to deal with, but it's not the problem the cape was).

General_Grievous
04-08-2005, 09:51 PM
After buying thne Deluxe Obi/SBD at MM, I'm ready to stamp "SUCKER" on my head.

Devo
04-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Jedi Kick Obi-wan fooled me aswell. He looked like a decent enough, reasonably neutral posed figure in the box but typically is ruined by a crappy, pointless action feature which causes difficulty in standing the figure and which has the legs looking silly. He can only have a one-handed lightsaber grip and it falls out of his hand at that. Come to think of it the last time we had a decent Obi-wan who could hold a sabre with two hands (as he always does in the films) was the jedi training gear Obi which wasn't from any of the films.

No doubt, as with AOTC, we'll still be waiting for decent versions of the core characters 3 years after the release of the new film.

sr9
04-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Devo I am also disapointed at the Jedi Kick Obi-wan to
it needs more articulation arms and hands and knees

DanbtheSithLord
04-13-2005, 11:27 AM
We hate's us some action features precious!!! god those things suck lots of self pleasuring action figures out there now ( my wife pointed out that maybe they gave that to jedi since they can't get married) vader,chewie, anikan, obi, mace, 4 armed grevious, blah... shoulda stuck to half a dozen of both guards

Devo
04-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm really surprised to see the ROTS Single carded Vader on the list. Cloth robes and cape that actually drapes right (better than the VOTC cape which sits funny no matter what you do).

Are you sure about that? The cloth is one of the main turnoffs about this figure for me because it looks terrible in all pictures I've seen except the small one thats on cardbacks, particularly the waist cape which looks like it balloons out in the middle.