PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone finished / stopping collecting after Revenge of the Sith figures?

Tycho
04-05-2005, 01:26 PM
I have way more toys and figures in and for planned scenes I've set up (or am going to set up) than I think is ever reasonable to fit into a home display.

I will buy any and all ROTS figures this year and for the next several to complete the scenes I want to build for Episode 3.

I will buy any never-before-made figures from TPM, AOTC, ANH, ESB, ROTJ that go into scenes I've already collected for (like the podrace, the Lars homestead, the cantina, Battle of Hoth, Jabba's Lair, etc).

No early-bird kit for me, and no figures of Leia, Luke, R2, and another Chewie are necessary for me - nor will they be in 2006 when a new line hits the shelves.

I feel that in 2-3 more years I'll have all I want to have and do not plan on collecting TV show figures etc. etc.

It's time to get more serious about saving to do things in life like sports, adventures, and travel.

How about you?

hestep99
04-05-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm a sucker and I'll probably buy everything, but who knows a lot can happen in a couple of years.

trandoshan666
04-05-2005, 01:38 PM
On some level I'd like to say that when the ROTS line is finished, I'll be finished, too. But I know myself, and that means that as long as there's something Star Wars to collect, I'll collect it.

Dark Marble
04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I have sworn off collecting Star Wars so many times over the years only to find my love for it again. I will collect ROTS for a while and see where it goes from there, but I have enough to keep me busy for a long time. I am not going to say I am stopping when ROTS is over, but that would be my ideal plan. Like you said Tycho, any unseen figures would be welcome, but I don't think I would be interested in TV figures and expanded universe just isn't my bag. Plus if the scale or anything gets changed I would lose interest really fast. I know what I like and right now I have most of it!

El Chuxter
04-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Hayle no!! :D

betterthanfett
04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
The only thing I plan on collecting after ROTS are the Unleashed figures. They are too cool to drop. I have ALMOST every figure and most variations since 1995, and it's time to stop. I wasn't collecting ROTS until I saw the card they were coming on and it was too cool to pass on. Hopefully, ROTS is it for my 3 3/4 inch days.

ronhudy
04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
I had pretty much stopped being one of those "One of every carded figure + variation" collectors after AOTC came out. I sold quite a bit of vintage and rare stuff shortly after. I bought probably half or slightly less of the Gold Saga line, then turned it over to my 10 year-old son. When he went back to Japan last summer with my wife and other son, I re-painted and re-decorated their rooms. See the pics - I used carded figures to create a "border" around the top edge of the wall (pics show one row, but it's two rows now!) He collects carded figures, as well as builds movie scenes, too. But he doesn't buy all the figures...he got maybe 2/3 of OTC and 15-20 of the ROTS ones, and isn't into variants. He did buy anything and everything "Grievous" he could find so far though...his favorite new character. Now I just help him find what he's looking for, but don't have much interest in collecting myself anymore. I still follow what's going on in the collecting scene, but I just don't spend the money anymore on anything other than what my son wants. As a musician, I put any extra spending money of my own I do have after the bills are paid, into music gear.

JetsAndHeels
04-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I will not stop collecting or buying, but I do need to take a few days off so I can get my national championship gear!!
After that, its back to the usual.

Ji'dai
04-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I seriously considering stopping now. I've been collecting since 1978 and have only stopped when the stuff wasn't in production. I only bought a handful of ROTS figures so far, but that may change if/when I see #33 and up. I'm burn out and tired. Like Tycho mentioned I'd rather spend my money on liesure activities/travel.

JEDIpartner
04-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I'll probably collect the figures of previously unsculpted characters. That will be about it. I don't think I will collect any of the television characters should there be a series-- unless someone was particularly cute/hot. :p

DarthQuack
04-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Probably won't stop or slow down since I don't really chase anything more than the main line.

pegger
04-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I've already started to slow down....Didn't buy Red Leader's X-Wing, didn't get the red Y-wing...not getting the repainted Republic Gunship....

Newly scultped figs...and maybe main line characters if they are signicantly different (like 3P0 with bendable knees)... but I do see an end in sight (much to the relief of my wife)

LTBasker
04-05-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm in it to the end and longer! Even if this line ends, I would then go through the past stuff and see what I'm missing. There are quite a few large gaps in my collection that would probably keep me occupied for quite awhile.

Sith Lord 0498
04-05-2005, 04:36 PM
I see myself either severely slowing down or altogether stopping with the Hasbro line and any other SW toys once 2005 ends. If 2006 onward yields some stuff that I really like, then I may pick those up.

What will mostly happen (and I've actually been transitioning into this for the past several months) is that I will move onto higher-end merchandise and (naturally) buy less SW items in a given year. I've already moved on to the MR mini-saber line, Bust-Ups, and mini-busts. I even ordered Palpatine's cane, and it is one of my favorite collectibles.

So to sum up for me...2006 onward will be less toys, more "mature" merchandise, and that will run until Star Wars merchandising fades away like it did in the late 80s to mid 90s.

Vortex
04-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Yup, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've gotten the items I want and will fishish out the Ep. III collection and when I get the "Early Bird" set I'll decided if I want to go that route if later offered.

I've been sorting and downsizing my collection for a few months now on and off. The carded figs are going, and ships and getting dismantled, and packed away. I don't have the extra $ I once did for collection, due to a sports car and pending wedding and honeymoon, and I no longer have the drive, time or passion to hunt stuff down or keep the cards in mint condition. Once I get Obi-Wan pilot/general I think I'm done, unless the early bird stuff or next wave is like the VOTC line. I might just pick those off, but if there's a TV show...(I really hope not then we get into the EU debate if GL doesn't write it) or cartoon after Ep. III with toys. count me out.

My basement is full of tubs of star wars stuff from 95 and my vintage collection from when I was a kid is in a metal box in a tub. I look at the stacks and stacks of tubs and sometimes I feel sick about how much time, money and energy I spent on buying all these stuff only to have it take up space. There are days I wished I never would have ordered that stormtrooper han...or see the other red carded figs at Target during the holidays.

I also look at Ep. III as the end of a chapter for me and a good way to close out the collection bit. My dad took me to see star wars in the movie theater as a kid, and bought me my 1st fig, and we've seen every one since and we've already got plans to see the last one together, before I get married and plan a family of my own. Best just to put it all down after that, walk away with good memories and leave on a high note, and have it be a big chapter in my life.

I'm ready for a new chapter. 10 years of collection + the years of the vintage stuff as a kid. That's a lot of time, some people aren't even married or at their job that long.

Slicker
04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
I'll never stop. Even if I tried whenever I'd see new product in the store I wouldn't be able to resist.

Jedi Teacher
04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
AFter the ROTS line, I'm probably done, except for new characters or the unleashed line. We're expecting our first child in June, so after CIII and May 19, my collecting days will slow down. I'll probably try to finish the ROTS line (except for more anakin/obi wan figs). It seems fitting to stop with the last movie.

Now, if more movies (not TV) are ever made . . . who knows????

abell748
04-05-2005, 06:38 PM
The prospect of a line relaunch is just the excuse I needed to finally bring the end to collecting new stuff. I will only get unproduced figures or new playsets/ships. Over the last few years, some items have been sold off so that I could do the wife, house, kid thing. This will be the time I can relax, fill holes from '95 till now and finish off the vintage boxed collection I've been working on. I will miss all the new release hype, but honestly, after EPIII, what hype is left? So I will close this chapter with relief, but also a small tear.

ronhudy
04-05-2005, 06:54 PM
The prospect of a line relaunch is just the excuse I needed to finally bring the end to collecting new stuff. I will only get unproduced figures or new playsets/ships. Over the last few years, some items have been sold off so that I could do the wife, house, kid thing. This will be the time I can relax, fill holes from '95 till now and finish off the vintage boxed collection I've been working on. I will miss all the new release hype, but honestly, after EPIII, what hype is left? So I will close this chapter with relief, but also a small tear.

MAN! Now I want to cry....:(

sith_killer_99
04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I will collect until I die! Then I will have my benefactors continue collecting in my name long after my death!!! :Pirate:

WesleySr
04-05-2005, 08:32 PM
I have a newfound love in collecting. I started collecting the POTF2 line about a year after its release. I collected every figure, every variation, and then I started collecting a set to open and display. When E1 toys came out, it started to get too expensive and I focused on the set to open but kept my boxed stuff. In 2000, my son was born. I continued to collect the set to open but kept it in storage due to not having room to display it. Over the past year or so, my son has shown a very big interest in the Star Wars saga. Whenever I get a chance, we get out a set of toys (I have them stored in containers sorted by movie) and play together. Now, he is so excited about the new E3 line and is really looking forward to the movie. I don't even have a container for my E3 stuff yet, because since April 2nd, that is all he has been playing with :) . Now I am starting to look into getting rid of all of my carded collection of POTF2 merchandise so that I can have more money and space for my open collection.