PDA

View Full Version : I'm REALLY out of room now

betterthanfett
04-05-2005, 03:00 PM
With the relesae of the ROTS line this week, I have found myself OUT OF ROOM to display my collections. Something is going to have to be boxed up. Which collection should go... POTF2; E1; E2; Gold Saga; or the OTC? I have already taken over 2 rooms in the house, and I can't have any more. Which would you store? I'm thinking POTF2 stuff.

stillakid
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Put all the Prequel stuff away. :D

DarthQuack
04-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Keep the ROTS stuff up, it will psyche you up for the movie's release next month.

HighLordDave
04-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Shame on all of you!!!!!

The correct answer is: None of the above.

You need to build a special "display wing" on to your house.

Ji'dai
04-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Put all the Prequel stuff away. :D

Seconded!

My loose Episode I stuff would be the first to go back into storage should I need the room. Followed shortly by the loose Episode II stuff.

beckmen
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I'd lose the POTF2 stuff and maybe some of the TPM stuff. The prequels are what should be on display.

When they re-release the OT in a few years, put up POTF2, POTJ, Saga, OTC ect...

Sith Lord 0498
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I've been orchestrating a combination of tactics in order to maximize my storage space.

1) Added modular shelving (most that "Organize It" line from Target)
2) Mounted shelves on the walls
3) Reorganized the items hanging on the walls (posters, carded figures, etc.)
4) Mounted other items on the walls (Wookie Super Soaker, starfighters, etc.) by positioning enough nails to support the weight and balance
5) Moved older figures into my storage closet.

and...

I'm STILL out of room!!! :cry:

Oh well...one of these days we'll have a bigger apartment or house...

Scackmgack
04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Arrange it by movie, and put away stuff in the following order of films until you have room:

1) Episode I
2) Episode VI
3) Episode II
4) Episode IV
5) Episode V

Of course, this means that pretty much only the Ep I stuff will most likely have to go away, which is as it should be. *grin*

MiamiTJ
04-05-2005, 10:09 PM
I had to put most of my collection in storage a long time ago ...

:cry:

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 11:46 PM
I finally had to take down a few '95-era POTF2 figures to make room for my first 18 ROTS figures, and I'm almost out of room again! I have nowhere to put my Lego ARC-170, can't imagine what'll happen when I get the Hasbro one. My biggest mistake was not getting taller shelving when I had the chance, walls are a big empty waste of space!!! :p

steve3p0
04-06-2005, 02:37 AM
instead of taking out a whole group, take out some of the figures that have been resculpted.

for example, i have every darth vader figure released, but have boxed all but the latest ones.

Kidhuman
04-06-2005, 09:26 AM
You're out of room...Welcome to my life. I have had stuff in totes for years now. Ran out of room back in 02. I ended up selling all my robotech figures(grrrrrr) to make room for SW

sunshine
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
To make more room I'm taking down my G.I. Joe's. Transformers will probably be next.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Out of room, huh? Story of my SW collecting life, bro. I've either lived in a rental or been at grad school since I started collecting so I've never had more room than a square foot on my desk to display things. I just rotate things pretty often to keep it fresh. Plus it minimizes that amount of figure/Lego dusting I have to do.

It sounds like SSG forumites could solve the gas price hike if we all melted down our plastic hoards and converted them to combustibles.

Kidhuman
04-06-2005, 10:12 AM
It sounds like SSG forumites could solve the gas price hike if we all melted down our plastic hoards and converted them to combustibles.

Ummmmm...we could, but I'll pay the 2 and change a gallon.:beard:

samskull
04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
If you can only have two films displayed make it ROTS and ANH - that way you'll cover the transition from Dark times to Rebellion. Plus what better way to compare the young and old Empire.

Darthmarc
04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Shame on all of you!!!!!

The correct answer is: None of the above.

You need to build a special "display wing" on to your house.

LOL. I've built a collection that resembles Mr. Sansweet (almost everything since 1995). Unfortunately, I have NO SPACE.

In my area we have Public Storage, so I rent a 5' x 10' room to house my countless totes of SW stuff...I also have my Dads basement and my Apt. full of stuff.

I await the day where I can have a room dedicated to SW (in my case, a house dedicated). Yet alone a wing....

megaprime33
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
It really all depends on how attached you are to the vehicles because obviously they take up the most space. I'd say try to limit the amount of vehicles you have displayed and put more figures there. Like if you move some of the larger ones, AT-AT, Imperial Shuttle, Naboo Star Cruiser, whatever, you could fit a whole bunch of figures and smaller vehicles and beasts there. Unless you have them setup like scenes from the movie, ie the emperor's arrival with the shuttle, then thats a little different.

jedi master sal
04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Take a good look at each figure and decide if you really think that particular sculpt is worth showing. (I've put away most of my "buff" figures from the mid-90's, with the exception of the Stormtroopers)

Also, decide if you want to have all the movies represented. As some have stated you could go with just the OT. But I find that difficult since you (and the rest of us) have just bought a bit of ROTS stuff. You could set your figs up in condensed scenes and only put those figures that belong in the scenes in them.

There are so many ways to go. Large shelving works for displaying everything, but the prolem is you can't very easily SEE everything. Having figures piled high to the ceiling doesn't show nicely.

I started inventorying my collection 1 1/2 years ago. I'm still doing that. But this is something I would say would be a good thing to do. This way, once you know everything you have, you can make a better informed decision about what you want to display.

I've already got the plan to build a huge diorama of the Battle of Geonosis, once I've got the room to do so. (With 483 AOTC clones it will be one heck of a diorama) (Okay, sorry for the shameless plug there)

Anyway, YOU must decide what is best for you on how and what to display.

There are some good ideas here with the following being the most mentioned:
More/Bigger/Modular Shelves
Putting away specific movie figures
Puting away older sculpts you no longer like

Again I suggest inventorying. (It also helps for insurance purposes)
Also, I'd suggest possibly selling off anything that you no longer like. You may nto make a profit, in fact chances are you won't, but you WILL make room and at least recoup some of the money you paid. If not sell, then you could always donate them to charities for kids. (I find that much more fulfilling, personally.)

So that's my 2 cents worth.
-Sal

stillakid
04-06-2005, 04:46 PM
You're out of room...Welcome to my life. I have had stuff in totes for years now. Ran out of room back in 02. I ended up selling all my robotech figures(grrrrrr) to make room for SW

I just sold my children and all of their stuff. Now there's PLENTY of room. :D

(just kidding, just kidding...geesh ;) )

betterthanfett
04-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I display my figs in the packages, so shelves won't help alot. I think I'm taking the POTF2 stuff down with the exception of the rares/variants. That'll free up alot of room.

hestep99
04-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Just beaware of attic space and places with inconsistent temp. Some of my collection was damaged a bit b/c of temperature changes. The cardboard kept alternating absorbing hot and cold, hot then cold. This unfortunatly warped some of the cards. Some of my vehicles cardboard is now real coarse and kind of swelled. What a bummer.

Joshkj
04-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Go open man, I did it and I have to say I am 50000000 times happier. More room and more fun! Plus are you really going to sell these, come on!

bobafrett
04-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm afraid to open some of my figures, for fear they will lose weapons or accessorie's (sp?). I keep all of my Star Wars stuff out of the basement, and nothing goes in the attic, nor the garage. I only live with my 14 year old son, so I say what goes where in my house, except his room. 3 rooms of Star Wars, keeps me happy!

JediTricks
04-06-2005, 11:30 PM
instead of taking out a whole group, take out some of the figures that have been resculpted.

for example, i have every darth vader figure released, but have boxed all but the latest ones.
I don't think I'd have any figures left. :D For me, I've been *slowly* doing this, but I try not to as I like to use every figure in display somewhere. But POTF2 Lando, Han Carbonite, Luke Bespin, Boba Fett, and a few others have actually come out of my display in the last few years.

BTW, glad to see someone using that C-3PO avatar I made for the old forums (technically I remade him, I took the existing 3PO and redrew it with a proper shape and blinking eyes)

DarthQuack
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Are you still out of room? More figures came out I think.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
No, they sold off all their stuff and downloaded the digital ones in the iPhone app version. Takes up much less room.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I bought two Millennium Mint coin figs (Chewie, Snowtroop) yesterday at a yard sale. Just happened to be driving by, saw many SW toys on the blanket under the canopy, and decided to take a gander. At $5 each, they were a decent deal (just needed a little dusting) and completed my collection of all seven in that brief line. I'm guessing the family needed the space, as they were also selling several large plastic tubs.