PDA

View Full Version : ROTS Soundtrack

Imperial Monarche
04-05-2005, 03:31 PM
For those of you with Hyperspace, after hearing the preview clip online, what do you guys think? Do you think that the music will sound like the other SW prequels or do you think it will be like Harry Potter and the POA was? I'm hoping it's on the same par as Harry Potter because that soundtrack was great. It was different than the other two moives albeit the original themes were still present, but generally it was all new music. AOTC was basically a re-hash of TPM. So, I'd really like to see a whole new score. Hopefully, we will get this with the new music. After hearing the clip online, it has a different feel than the other PT score so it's looking good. If you haven't heard it but can, check it out. If you can't, it is the clip of when General Greivous contacts Darth Sideious via hologram. It is a rush of strings mixed with trumpets and towards the end, a section from the chorus. Very exciting piece.

Pendo
04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
I was a bit disapointed with the clip, it sounded too much like Harry Potter and NOT Star Wars. I like how it doesn't sound like Episodes I or II, but I think it should try and sound closer to episode IV.

It was only a 60 second clip so I know you can't judge the soundtrack from just that, and I know it WILL be good. I'm really looking forward to listening to it.

PENDO!

El Chuxter
04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I was a bit disapointed with the clip, it sounded too much like Harry Potter and NOT Star Wars. I like how it doesn't sound like Episodes I or II, but I think it should try and sound closer to episode IV.

Perhaps that's just Grievous' theme. I know it's not Palpatine's theme, so it would make sense. If so, I like how Grievous has a theme that completely the opposite of what you'd expect: not barbaric at all. But still undeniable evil. Very cool; I just wish this was the clip everyone got and those of us who paid for Hyperspace got a longer or different clip.

Can't wait until May 2!!

Imperial Monarche
04-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Perhaps that's just Grievous' theme. I know it's not Palpatine's theme, so it would make sense. If so, I like how Grievous has a theme that completely the opposite of what you'd expect: not barbaric at all. But still undeniable evil. Very cool; I just wish this was the clip everyone got and those of us who paid for Hyperspace got a longer or different clip.

Can't wait until May 2!!

That's a possiblity that this is Greivous' theme, but I have a feeling it will be more mechanical and rhythmic, if that makes since. If anyone has read some of the post notes from when they were scoring the movie, Pablo made a comment that the music accompanying the battle between Obi-Wan and Greivous is very reminiscent to the piano thumping at the beginning of the Battle of Hoth, the music on the soundtrack but cut from the movie. So, that's what I expect the full theme of General Greivous to sound like, but this selection could very well be a part of the theme.

Slicker
04-06-2005, 02:43 AM
I don't know if any of you looked at the name of the track but it's called "Greivous Speaks to Lord Sidious".

JEDIpartner
04-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I liked the choir. It seems like there's a lot more of that in the prequels, which is fine. It gives the music a different character. I like it. I'm sure the whole of the soundtrack is not going to sound THAT much unlike something that belongs in the Star Wars saga.

Elliejabbapop
04-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Oh God I hated it. I think it was WAY too much like Harry Potter. I still have faith....

El Chuxter
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
There's more choir because Williams has been moving in that direction pretty constantly since the late 70s.

IIRC, Dracula (1978-9) had a few choral bits in it. SW:ESB had several more, and who can possibly forget the Emperor's Theme from SW:ROTJ. He's been adding more vocals over the years, but never to the point of excess like some composers (even the great Danny Elfman) have been known to do. I think it adds quite a bit of depth.

I hope this is Grievous' theme; it's too good to use in just one cue. And the description of the scene sounds like one where Williams would use the theme for one of the characters involved. He often creates separate themes for battles ("Battle of Hoth," "Into the Trap," "Duel of the Fates," etc).

El Chuxter
04-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Of particular interest: Wal-Mart appears to have an exclusive track.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith Soundtrack (with Exclusive Download) (Includes DVD)

FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!
Get an exclusive bonus song! For more information, see the details on the enclosed insert in the CD.

Check it out here (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3864179).

Pendo
04-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Of particular interest: Wal-Mart appears to have an exclusive track.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith Soundtrack (with Exclusive Download) (Includes DVD)

FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!
Get an exclusive bonus song! For more information, see the details on the enclosed insert in the CD.

Check it out here (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3864179).
I hope the UK release of the Soundtrack also has the bonus track (like we did for the On The Conveyor Belt track).

PENDO!

Kidhuman
04-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Well I like the score/soundtrack. I listened to the whole thing and it rocks.

General_Grievous
04-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Can anyone who's listened to the whole thing tell me one thing?

I have a question about final track that ends with the familiar credits music. What is the last theme of the movie? Like in TPM, it was the Parade, AOTC was the love theme, ANH had the Ceremony/Force theme, ESB had the Han and Leia theme, and ROTJ had the Ewok Celebration theme.

Is the last theme for ROTS (which should play over the scene where Obi-Wan delivers Luke to Owen and Beru) an all-new theme?

I'm asking this because I have a weird $5 bet going on with my friend. I say the end theme is the Force theme (ANH Ceremony, ROTJ Darth Vader's funeral) and he says it will probably be an all new one.

So what is the music that plays just before the credits music starts?

moulman
04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
If I can remember right, its the Force Theme

moulman
04-12-2005, 08:53 PM
heres a description of the song i pulled offa millenniumfalcon.com just incase you wanted a full detailed evaluation of it:

"15 - A New Hope and End Credits 13:06

This is the longest piece of music on the soundtrack. A beautiful segue into Leia's Theme is followed by the Force Theme. The Force Theme is repeated and grows (but don't expect a big finale) before we enter the End Credit sequence.

Leia's Theme follows the standard Star Wars End Credit Theme. Battle of the Heroes takes off where Leia's Theme finishes. The Throne Room Theme then hits in at the end of BotH. The middle section of the The Throne Room is extremely legato compared to the ending in A NEW HOPE. After this part is finished its back into the main section.

It sounds like it is about to finish as in A NEW HOPE when it suddenly enters a really delicate version of the Force Theme. The Theme then shifts up and plays again before entering the Throne Room Theme once more. This plays out until the finale Star Wars Theme."

hango fett
04-12-2005, 09:31 PM
i have heard the whole soundtrack it is truly awsome. if you read thew book, then listen to the soundtrack you get a clear mental picture of what it's going to look like. i love how the theme goes right into the action part, where i can see all the fighters, cruisers and droids shooting randomly and everything going every imageinable direction.
can't wait.
HF

Pendo
04-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Damn, I thought there were only 15 tracks on the soundtrack (well thats what was available to download from the site that no longer exists :rolleyes:) but according to Amazon.co.uk there are 21 tracks. So I'm missing some :cry:. Guess I'll have to wait until 3rd May!

PENDO!

Kidhuman
04-13-2005, 08:03 AM
21 tracks? Thats a hell of alot. 6 more than we get according to Chux's link.

BanthaPoodoo
04-13-2005, 09:27 AM
The reason there are 21 tracks at amazon.co.uk is that they have split some of the medleys up into single songs such as #16 & 17.. doing that you get 21 tracks, but also you have two of the same song...

Kidhuman
04-13-2005, 09:50 AM
The reason there are 21 tracks at amazon.co.uk is that they have split some of the medleys up into single songs such as #16 & 17.. doing that you get 21 tracks, but also you have two of the same song...

Ok, kind of odd they did that.

jedibear
05-03-2005, 09:02 PM
This score is fantastic. From the intense fanfare of "Battle of the Heroes" to the haunting strains of "Anakin's Betrayal" to the somber pull of "The Immolution Scene" this score has it all. Occasional familair motifs like the Force theme, Across the Stars, the Imperial March and more weave in & out with this extremely listenable score. It's great....

Better still is the DVD "Star Wars: A Musical Journey". This project is like a love letter to the fans...a skillfully edited montage of images set to the most popular themes of the entire saga. I was delighted to notice that among the montage of clips were occasional smatterings of preproduction art, movie posters and other artist renderings, making the visual experience even more special. The stately introductions from Ian McDirmand make it seem even more special (although one can play the clips straight through without them). This DVD alone would be worth the price of the score. What a classy way to send the saga's music off. m
My saber is raised high to the folks who put this disc together....

DarthAngel
05-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I listened to the entire soundtrack today and I must say that it is pretty damn good. I don't think my professor liked that I was listening to the soundtrack instead of him, but it was better than falling asleep lol.

I really like the smattering of the imperial march theme, as well as some of the other music from the OT in the birth of Lord Vader, opening credits/ ROTS, and some of the other tracks.

The DVD is also a phenominal piece of work. John Williams and Uncle George really out did themselves this time.

stillakid
05-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Are all the retailers selling the EXACT SAME versions of the soundtrack/DVD set or do any of them have bonus discs or anything that the other guys don't?

beckmen
05-04-2005, 12:22 AM
I think the bonus DVD is packed with all of the soundtracks, but be sure to check before you buy.

Am I the only one dissapointed with the End Credits? It's way to upbeat! Why is the Throne Room track in there? It should have been Battle of the Heroes, Imperial March, Emperor's Theme, and then a quick Force Theme at the end to give the whole "New Hope" thing credance.

beckmen
05-04-2005, 12:34 AM
The WM Bonus Track is a 3-minute interview with Williams. Getting ahold of the thing took me a good hour (Had to DL 2 programs and a liscence to play the thing!), but I have it now. It should be easy to find online, though through the right channels for those of you wanting to save the hassle...

DarkArtist
05-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I love the DVD addition added to the set, the video's are awesome, great way of tying all the movies together. As far as the soundtrack I haven't had a chance to sit and listen to the entire CD yet but from what I heard it sounds very similar to the prequels soundtracks.

Bantha274
05-04-2005, 01:21 PM
The DVD is a wonderful addition to the soundtrack. The sountrack itself is a beautiful score with some very dark overtones. Very well done.

I showed the DVD to a co-worker today who has never really seen any of the movies, other than a few minutes of each of the OT films. The DVD really lets people understand how all the films are tied together. I think it will become a great tool for bringing new fans into the SW universe.
After watching the DVD, my friend is going out to buy the OT DVD set and the two prequel dvds.
He says he can't wait to see ROTS now!

So nice job Lucas and John Williams. You've just gained another SW fan in a little over 24 hours of the soundtrack being released (and sold five more dvds as well! lol

El Chuxter
05-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Are all the retailers selling the EXACT SAME versions of the soundtrack/DVD set or do any of them have bonus discs or anything that the other guys don't?

Wal-Mart has an exclusive downloadable interview, and Target has the single version of "Battle of the Heroes." It's supposedly exclusive as well, but considering it's supposed to be sold as a single later this month, that seems a bit iffy to me. lol

The DVD comes with all copies of the soundtrack, but I'm not sure if it's a limited-time dealio or not.

Am I the only one dissapointed with the End Credits? It's way to upbeat! Why is the Throne Room track in there? It should have been Battle of the Heroes, Imperial March, Emperor's Theme, and then a quick Force Theme at the end to give the whole "New Hope" thing credance.

I wouldn't quite say "disappointed," but I expected more. The bit prior to the beginning of the SW theme is less than two minutes long, and I would've loved to have heard the Brother/Sister theme from ROTJ.

I think The Imperial March and Palpatine's Theme should've been used more, rather than "Variations on the Force Theme by John Williams" for several minutes.

But it's still damn good stuff. "Anakin's Dark Deeds" is probably my single favorite track. . . for the moment.

ds6161
05-05-2005, 08:06 AM
OK I pre-ordered this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3864179
is now listed as SCORE & has 15 tracks.. for $11.88

now this one is showing up too http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3866431
is listed as soundtrack & has 16 tracks.. for $14.88

the track names do not match up.. also the 16 tracks don't match the DVD listings that are showing up on the web..

the SCORE versin matchs amason.com track listing

so whats going on.. thankz

Sith Lord 0498
05-05-2005, 04:18 PM
OK I pre-ordered this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3864179
is now listed as SCORE & has 15 tracks.. for $11.88

now this one is showing up too http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3866431
is listed as soundtrack & has 16 tracks.. for $14.88

the track names do not match up.. also the 16 tracks don't match the DVD listings that are showing up on the web..

the SCORE versin matchs amason.com track listing

so whats going on.. thankz

The first link is the correct track listing. The second link is incorrect (probably an outdated rough layout).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-05-2005, 07:06 PM
I picked up the soundtrack today, but won't listen to it until after I see the movie. I plan on watching the DVD tonight, though.