PDA

View Full Version : Attactix - anyone buying them? Opinions?

ronhudy
04-05-2005, 06:21 PM
My kids got a few freebies at the WM tent thing and liked 'em. They are geared towards the 8-12 year old demographic I'd say. I know I read a lot of negative comments about them before they came out, especially regarding the appearance, but now that I actually see what the game is (figures shooting, knocking each other down) I understand why they are so deformed.

Anyway, besides the freebies, they got the starter set and a booster pack. One of my boys got a "chrome-based" Battle Droid, which I guess are the "rare" or "variant" ones...I gotta admit, it's fun playing with them. It'll be neat when they have 20 or 30 of 'em and have a full-on invasion game going!

hestep99
04-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I only got a few @ the WM tent, but I'm probably not going to collect them.

Strategist
04-05-2005, 06:34 PM
They are ok but I think Star Wars Minatures by wizards is a much better game.

El Chuxter
04-05-2005, 06:39 PM
The ones I've seen look kinda cheap. I got Commander Bly and Plo Koon at the WM tent dealio, and they pack a monster punch. So let me get this straight. . . Boba couldn't have a firing rocket pack back in the day because someone could get hurt, but you can kill a kangaroo at 100 meters with one of these AttackTix things? Somehow the logic escapes me.

ronhudy
04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
So let me get this straight. . . Boba couldn't have a firing rocket pack back in the day because someone could get hurt, but you can kill a kangaroo at 100 meters with one of these AttackTix things? Somehow the logic escapes me.

LOL! Too true! My kids were playing it for the first time, and when my older son launched one of his rockets at one of his younger brother's figures, he nailed his brother right in the neck! He winced at first, but then we all had a good laugh! :D

I don't know much about the miniatures game - I guees they are probably better likenesses of the characters - but this seems to be good for the kids who:
a) don't have a long attention span and don't want to read a big rulebook before playing a game or do math equations every turn
b) like to see stuff flying around/getting knocked down
c) like to play with toys without having to worry about how beat up they get

moulman
04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
I picked up like 14 different types at MM at Walmart-they brought them out thinking they were to be given away at 12 am

Strategist
04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
The minatures game is fairly new it came out last august 3 expansions have been released along with 3 starter sets

*Rebel Storm (Contains original trilogy )

*Clone Strike (Contains The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and the Clone Wars Cartoon)

*Revenge of the Sith (Conatins RotS)

beckmen
04-05-2005, 07:53 PM
They were giving them away at 48 Hours of the Force? There was no tent in my area, and no freebies! What a rip-off, I am mad!

How do you play this game? I don't really get it...

DealerBish
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
GOt several of the freebie this weekend and bought 3 boosters and the starter set for my 10 yr old... we're enjoying playing it together.. it's kind like chess on crack lol...

We did get on Wookie Scout on the silver base wondering if anyone has any info on the silver bases.

Wugmanmax
04-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I think they are pretty cool. Very fun to play with, even for a 2 year old! My little sons love them. I probably wouldn't have picked any up if it wasn't for that damn Wal-mart tent! After we got the free ones, my son ran over and picked up a starter set. Being the pushover I am when it comes to toys, I relented, and now I want to buy more! The booster pack idea is addictive. I used to get really into TCG's because of the mystery involving what's in a booster pack.

And yes, I have vowed to myself to never become a gambler. :D

We also have a Neimodian guard with the silver base. What's up with that? I wish there was a rarity rank/explination with the lists out there... :mad:

I_Luciferi
04-05-2005, 10:22 PM
bottom line, I love games. Maybe more than life. Is it fun enough to spend the time and effort to collect all these things and play it? or is it one of those things that once the novelty wears off no one will buy them and you will be stuck with deformed little shooting things that you throw in the trash?

Wugmanmax
04-05-2005, 10:51 PM
bottom line, I love games. Maybe more than life. Is it fun enough to spend the time and effort to collect all these things and play it? or is it one of those things that once the novelty wears off no one will buy them and you will be stuck with deformed little shooting things that you throw in the trash?
I would probably say the latter. But I think they will have a greater lasting play value than the minitures. At the very least, you can save them for your kids or nephews or whatever little kids you know. I would say the quality of the figures are comparable to a happy meal toy. In fact, BK should have just had these suckers in the kids meals. Think of the cross promotion big bucks! I tried hating these things, but they have an odd charm. Maybe it's cuz I have kids...

Kidhuman
04-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I nabbed 2 freebies at the WM tent sale. They are pretty cool and my 7 year old likes em, so I will buy him some and play the game with him, shooting missles across the table is always fun

El Chuxter
04-06-2005, 10:16 AM
The Miniatures look cool, and I'd like to collect them (not play with them), but the fact that all the cool figures are super-rare and they're all packed randomly in rather pricey sets bugs me.

Kidhuman
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
The Miniatures look cool, and I'd like to collect them (not play with them),

Uh-huh...you would play with them.

On another note, my son and daughter were playing with them and she shot the missle. It hit him in the corner of hius eye and blackened it. These things got force.(no pun intended.)

ronhudy
04-06-2005, 10:22 AM
On another note, my son and daughter were playing with them and she shot the missle. It hit him in the corner of hius eye and blackened it. These things got force.(no pun intended.)

I'm thinking of having my kids wear hockey masks from now on!

El Chuxter
04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
No, KH, I play with my Force Battlers. The Miniatures have too many rules involved. With Force Battlers, it's just Vader swinging his mighty shield and Anakin firing rockets from his arm, just like in the movie!!

Jayspawn
04-06-2005, 10:31 AM
These sit untouched at my stores.

I_Luciferi
04-08-2005, 12:47 AM
they take eyes out?!?!? i must own them. The best kind of fun is the kind thats plastic and dangerous.

aceguide
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
I too have been suckered by the WM promotion. The 8 year old REALY likes them.

I have yet to purchase any more since the WM promo (we scored 3 there) to see if he sticks with them.

Question for those that bought the "starter set" - is the blind packaged figure the same in all of them?

ronhudy
04-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Question for those that bought the "starter set" - is the blind packaged figure the same in all of them?

No. My kids got one at WM with a Clone Trooper, and another from TRU with a Super Battle Droid. We bought an extra starter set at TRU this weekend, 'cause my kids split the first one. Now they each have all the starter pack figs. It was a good deal at TRU, 'cause if you bought the Starter Pack for $9.99, you got a FREE booster pack ($7.99 price tag). Not only that, but the purchase (since Attactix is made by Hasbro), counted towards the $25 for Holo Yoda. So my kids ended up getting $18 worth of free stuff for a $25 purchase!

aceguide
04-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the TRU sale is going to fully suck me into this line. I will just have to justify that it's for the little guy (any suggestions on how to get that one by my wife...???).

;)

aceguide
04-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, I caved and got the starter set + booseter bonus from TRU.com. The 8 year old will be SO pleased.

Also wanted to report an interesting encounter I had at Target. There were three young boys all looking at the EMPTY Attacktix pegs with thier fist full of dollars. After going thorugh the peg warmers that remained of the regular action figures they asked their mom to take them to Wal Mart. I hope she relented cause from the sound of it these boys already had a pretty decent army going.

Anyone else see these flying off the shleves (WM near me still had bunches BTW - and on sale for $6.99)

Darth Brick
04-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I went ahead and bought a booster last night; I figured if I got something cool, I'd start buying more and pick the game up.

I got a silver base Battle Droid, Anakin with "Force Push" or whatever it's called, and Bail Organa. Eh. I would have liked a Clone Trooper, but I guess they're okay.

What really turned me off was the price. Nearly $8?! Jeez, a few more cents and I could have picked up two Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh! boosters.

Still...I feel strangely compelled to buy more. Damn!

ronhudy
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I went ahead and bought a booster last night; I figured if I got something cool, I'd start buying more and pick the game up.

I got a silver base Battle Droid, Anakin with "Force Push" or whatever it's called, and Bail Organa. Eh. I would have liked a Clone Trooper, but I guess they're okay.

What really turned me off was the price. Nearly $8?! Jeez, a few more cents and I could have picked up two Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh! boosters.

Still...I feel strangely compelled to buy more. Damn!

LOL! It's addicting, isn't it? It's like buying a box of Cracker Jacks and hoping for a cool toy! I bought two more booster packs the other day for my kids, and talk about a score: 1 had Darth Vader(black suit - NOT the human Vader), Chrome-based Dooku, and a Battle Droid. The other had the Emperor, Chrome-based Padme, and a Clone Trooper. From what I hear, Darth Vader(black suit), Emperor, and Yoda are the HTF ones...

aceguide
04-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Check out your local WM. Mine had the booster packs for $6.99 and with the amount they had I would venture that the price will drop again.

Out of curiosity I checked out ebay as well. For some of the not-so-rare ones theyu can go pretty cheap. It might be one way to build the collection...

Darth Brick
04-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Check out your local WM. Mine had the booster packs for $6.99 and with the amount they had I would venture that the price will drop again.
Yeah, it's possible they'll drop the price. I mean, from the day they arrived to now, it seems like they've only sold one starter and one booster, and I bought that booster.

It'd be nice, though, to one day see them in a bin going for three or four dollars. Here's to hoping.

ronhudy
04-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Interesting...the WM's and Targets I visit seem to be moving them off the shelf fairly well.

Darth Brick
04-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, it's like NOTHING is selling at my local Wal-Mart (in Uvalde, TX). Or maybe they're selling, but then restocking with the exact same figures that they sell, because I have gone two weeks in a row and all the displays are the way they were the last time.

Some things sold the first weekend of the release, but since then, not much.

It's kind of funny--I hear people saying how Aayla or Grevious is hard to find, but we've got multiples of them.

aceguide
04-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Opened up the starter and booster sets last night with the 8 year old. Had a blast with the quick battle. He is ready to learn the more complicated rules.

Have to admit that I will probably wear eye protection in the future. The missles pack a REAL punch. Yikes!