PDA

View Full Version : Grauman's Chinese Theater not getting Ep 3?!?

JediTricks
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Saw the news about this on liningup.net or whatever that site's name is, the site where they stand in line for movies for a month at a time. Apparently, the trouble that befell TPM on its release has returned for ROTS, only this time the theater picking up Mann's fumble there is the Arclight (aka the Cinerama Dome) which is much closer to the Chinese than the Vista was during TPM (not that the Vista has moved since then or anything, it's still the same distance ;)). With the film playing SO close and at another Hollywood landmark theater, albeit a much lesser one with far fewer seats, and Mann theater's management saying they're not going to bother trying to get it into the Chinese even for a shorter run, it appears that Star Wars' unofficial premiere-home is being abandoned at the last film of the series even though once again there are fans waiting in line at the Chinese right now apparently.

I can't imagine a Star Wars film being released anywhere but the Chinese, it was one of the first 30-something theaters to have ANH, and the site of some of Star Wars' most memorable real-world images such as the lines choking the street at Hollywood & Orange, and R2 and 3PO arriving to put their feet in the famous cement. From '97 on I saw all the films at the Chinese on opening day, all 3 Special Editions and both prequels, and I am a little bummed personally that it looks like it won't be finishing up there. I feel frustrated and angry with all the people involved, both on Mann's side and on Fox & LFL's side; and I feel a little sad for those people waiting in line dilligently for a film that will likely never play there - there's no place to do a line like that at the Arclight, it's an ugly, empty block that's kinda crime-ridden at night and doesn't have the room for such a thing, and it's just not as cool a location in general. Most of you probably couldn't care fudge about this, but I think it's a real shame that corporate politics appear to have destroyed a small Star Wars tradition.

stillakid
04-05-2005, 10:50 PM
They could form a line inside that little area right in front of the doors. No?

I just got called today to go shoot at the premiere that night. Not sure if I can do it yet, but it'll be cool if I can! But yeah, it would have been far better in every respect to have the premiere at the Chinese. :( I mean, for cryin' out loud, that's where the footprints are!

2-1B
04-05-2005, 11:08 PM
How typical. I'm not surprised that a communist country would not allow Star Wars within their borders. :mad:
And here I thought capitalism was infiltrating that nation. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
04-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Man, it took me forever to get that China reference Caesar (well, roughly 2.5 seconds, but that's forever to an android ;)).

Stilla, I don't know if the Arclight folks would let them camp out in that rock-garden-like area, but I can't imagine it being even remotely the same for those wanting to line up. Heck, it's not even near the main ticket window (and, as someone over on lining up pointed out, Arclight sells their tickets over the web and may end up selling out the tickets, or at least the best seats and times, over the internet before the line folks can even start buying anyway) just a bunch of kiosks.

figrin bran
04-06-2005, 01:13 AM
that's sad to hear about the Chinese theater not even bothering to bring it in for a run

there's no place to do a line like that at the Arclight, it's an ugly, empty block that's kinda crime-ridden at night and doesn't have the room for such a thing, and it's just not as cool a location in general. Most of you probably couldn't care fudge about this, but I think it's a real shame that corporate politics appear to have destroyed a small Star Wars tradition.

actually, there's amoeba music and that huge complex with Borders across the street and so if anything, i'd actually feel safer lining up there if i were to do such a thing. moreover, it's easier to get parking at the arclight than at the chinese.

and i could be wrong but i remember seeing ESB and ROTJ at the Egyptian during their original releases and so the Chinese theater hasn't always been THE chosen one of hollywood.

2-1B
04-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Man, it took me forever to get that China reference Caesar (well, roughly 2.5 seconds, but that's forever to an android ;)).

Sorry JT but I felt like replying to just the title of the thread. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Kidhuman
04-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Well, this cancels my trip to L.A.

JEDIpartner
04-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Is this a big deal?

JediTricks
04-06-2005, 10:54 PM
actually, there's amoeba music and that huge complex with Borders across the street and so if anything, i'd actually feel safer lining up there if i were to do such a thing. moreover, it's easier to get parking at the arclight than at the chinese. Yeah, I know, I go by there every day, the apartments over the Sunset & Vine building (the one with Borders and Baja Fresh in it) are $2500 for a 1 bedroom. There's also a Jack in the Box across the street from Amoeba and a McDonalds, KFC, and Big Lots around the corner from the Dome (down Vine). And it has that parking lot, true, but it becomes a lot more difficult to deal with when there's a big event there (I'm talking about the Ivar entrance, the Sunset entrance becomes almost completely unusable). Heck, the Dome doesn't even have any decor inside or out except for the pattern of the actual dome shape (plus those honeycomb pattern pieces hanging from the ceiling and walls IIRC that are supposed to suggest more of the geodesic panels of the dome itself).

and i could be wrong but i remember seeing ESB and ROTJ at the Egyptian during their original releases and so the Chinese theater hasn't always been THE chosen one of hollywood.I can definitely confirm that ROTJ was at the Egyptian (back before it was renovated and became an independent theater) as I waited in line with my grandmother for the film for 2 hours in the hot sun, but I don't remember if ESB was there as well. Still, when you look at the premieres of Star Wars, the special editions, and even Eps 1 and 2, a lot of the images are rightly of the Grauman's Chinese Theater, even the Hamburger Hamlet across the street where Lucas and Spielberg sat and watched the crazy huge lines for Star Wars in 1977 is still there.

KH, seriously, you were coming to LA to see SW?

JP, it's a big deal to me, the Arclight isn't a landmark theater, it's built onto the back of the Cinerama Dome which is a landmark theater on its own but not a major one because it's much newer and much less exciting and has so much less historical weight to it. Plus, it seats somewhere around half as many people as the Chinese, which is just an amazing theater to see when sitting next to 2,000 fellow SW fans. Star Wars' original release was only in 32 theaters IIRC, and the biggest one was the Chinese, the success at that theater helped propel the film into the box office record books, that image of a crowd surrounding the theater all the way out into 3 or 4 lanes of the street is of the Chinese. To me, that IS where Star Wars belongs, anything else is substandard because it doesn't have the connection or the level of fandom or the sense of magic that Star Wars at the Chinese has always had for me, even after Mann added an even more hideous multiplex to the side (it used to have 2 or 3 crappy theaters from the '80s on the side, now it has a mall-style multiplex instead, luckily the main building is the same inside and mostly the same outside except for the lack of the box office and a new hideous gray color).

Kidhuman
04-06-2005, 11:22 PM
KH, seriously, you were coming to LA to see SW?

If I had the money I would. Hell, if I had the money Tycho spent on Figures I would. I would love to meet a bunch of you guys out thatway, I was hoping to make it to SDCC this year, but that wont happen. Maybe one day I will make it out there. Overnight myself to yours or Turbos house one day. :D

2-1B
04-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Oh no you don't want to do that KH, at least not to JT's house or you might end up in a package like that one JT got that time, what happened there again JT ?
I remember seeing a pic of how mutilated and water logged it was . . . I hope you're thirsty, KH !

;)

JediTricks
04-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Man, another really esoteric ref Caes! But it didn't come to my house, it came to my mailbox place. (Here's what he's referring to: http://geocities.com/jeditricks/usps/ )

Slicker
04-07-2005, 02:18 AM
I was readin' over at Yahoo! news that people that lined up in front of the Chinese Theater aren't moving because for some reason they think it's all a farce and that the movie will play there. If you ask me some people can't admit when they're wrong. Here's the story (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050406/ap_en_mo/star_wars_geeks_1).

BTW, JT you're package reminds me of an episode of SNL where they're taking baggage at a hotel and just beating the hell out of it.

2-1B
04-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Ah yes, Jiffy Express.

Thanks for the refresher JT, I love the description of "quite soggy." :D

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Slicker, I think the article just didn't explain it well, it's not that these people in line think it's a hoax, it's that this exact thing happened with Ep 1 (and apparently Ep 2, I didn't know about that) so they're expecting (more like "hoping" really) it'll happen again in the same manner. From what I've read, some of their reps have talked to Mann and are quite confident the film won't be at the Chinese, but would rather not move because A) they can buy tix online for the Arclight; B) they've already made arrangements with local business on Hollywood Blvd for their line; C) lining up at the Arclight is lame; and D) there isn't enough foot traffic on Sunset to garner interest in the donation brochures for the charity they're sponsoring.

On the wet element of the package, I was really hoping it wasn't pee. Thankfully, it wasn't.

JetsAndHeels
04-08-2005, 06:07 PM
I can see why this is a big deal JT. I have seen the pics and read the news stories from so many SW premieres at the Chinese theater. It's a tradition there. If I were in your shoes I would definately see how you could be dissappointed with this whole thing. It really makes no sense. You would think a theater like that would have this film since it has had all the others.
When I was in San Diego I wanted to ride up to LA so bad and see the sights there, but just didn't have enough time to do it. Perhaps one day.

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 09:35 PM
The problem has always been that Lucas and Fox want the theaters to commit to longer runs and stay in better theaters, with TPM the contract was 8 weeks minimum to 12 weeks if the theater didn't have enough clout to fight it, but Mann wants their most popular theaters in the area like the Chinese and the Westwood to have new films ever 3 weeks or so. As I understand it, this time around the Chinese has a film scheduled a mere week after ROTS's release so they wouldn't want to have any long-term contracts, I suspect they might go as low as 3 weeks and cut the other film off but not 8; with TPM they had a contract for "Wild Wild West" that was interefering if you can believe it (yeah, which film made more dough that summer Mann? :p).