PDA

View Full Version : boba fett in rots?

twiggy73
04-05-2005, 11:51 PM
anyone know if boba fett will be in rots? and if there will be a figure of him? are there any other figures that will be released at a later time?

MaquisWarrior
04-06-2005, 02:28 AM
anyone know if boba fett will be in rots? and if there will be a figure of him? are there any other figures that will be released at a later time?

There is a figure of a teenage boy next to Captain Antilles in the poster from Hasbro in SW Insider's latest mag, but has a different name. Might be him?

Sith Lord 0498
04-06-2005, 05:46 AM
There is a figure of a teenage boy next to Captain Antilles in the poster from Hasbro in SW Insider's latest mag, but has a different name. Might be him?

That's Zett Jukassa. He's the Jedi Padawan played by George Lucas' son Jett. Although I did see a photo floating around at one time of a teenage boy resembling Daniel Logan dressed in the OT-era Boba Fett armor. Fett hasn't been mentioned in any ROTS comics, novels, or other literature, but you never know...

JEDIpartner
04-06-2005, 08:17 AM
No... neither Boba Fett nor Han Solo will be in ROTS. It is written in the "Making of" book.

LTBasker
04-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Why would Boba Fett be in Episode 3, he hasn't even been in the prequels. It was just Jango & Jaango Fett. :D

Boba's probably on his first bounty hunting missions...hunting the last of the pokemon.

samskull
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Maybe Jango's spirit told Boba not to sign any contractual agreements for this prequel and to hold out for a TV contract or at least 'til his helmet fit better! Hee hee.lol

JediTricks
04-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Why would Boba Fett be in Episode 3, he hasn't even been in the prequels. It was just Jango & Jaango Fett. :DHa ha! That was a good one! I actually laughed out loud. Cheesy SW humor at its finest. :p

yoda83
04-07-2005, 11:33 AM
He would be three years older, so I doubt he would be hunting bounties just quite yet. However, he has a figure in the ROTS Miniature game by Wizards of the Coast, so maybe he will have a cameo, watching the Jedi die or something.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I've discussed my distaste for Boba not being in E3 in another thread, but I'll reiterate. It makes no sense whatsoever for Fett not to be in E3. This makes the whole E2 Jango subplot stupid. They could have picked any old person to be the basis for the clones. Why did they have to make it a Fett? It was Lucas pleasing fanboys (no offense to anyone) by putting what amounts to a cameo of everyone's favorite bounty hunter in the Prequels. If they put him in 2, they might as well put him in 3. They could explain why he's Vader's favorite bounty hunter as well as give background to one of the most famous unexplained OT lines about "no disintegrations". But instead, George will leave a gap that could easily be filled empty and continue to fill gaps that aren't there *coughmidichlorianscough*

anti-hero
04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I've discussed my distaste for Boba not being in E3 in another thread, but I'll reiterate. It makes no sense whatsoever for Fett not to be in E3. This makes the whole E2 Jango subplot stupid. They could have picked any old person to be the basis for the clones. Why did they have to make it a Fett? It was Lucas pleasing fanboys (no offense to anyone) by putting what amounts to a cameo of everyone's favorite bounty hunter in the Prequels. If they put him in 2, they might as well put him in 3. They could explain why he's Vader's favorite bounty hunter as well as give background to one of the most famous unexplained OT lines about "no disintegrations". But instead, George will leave a gap that could easily be filled empty and continue to fill gaps that aren't there *coughmidichlorianscough*

I thought they explained why he was Vader's favorite in AOTC...Cause he was the exact duplicate of the guy who was used to create the clones, which brought the empire to power. My guess would be that Vader was told by the emperor to be cool to Fett. Especially since they could still use him to recreate more clones.

This raises an interesting question, were the stormtroopers clones of Jango, Boba, someone else entirely, or not clones at all???? They don't have the same voice (even in the "retouched" dvd versions) so I don't know.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I thought they explained why he was Vader's favorite in AOTC...Cause he was the exact duplicate of the guy who was used to create the clones, which brought the empire to power.I don't remember that ever being explained.
My guess would be that Vader was told by the emperor to be cool to Fett. Especially since they could still use him to recreate more clones.
I understand what you're saying, and while it makes perfect sense, it's still inferred.

This raises an interesting question, were the stormtroopers clones of Jango, Boba, someone else entirely, or not clones at all???? They don't have the same voice (even in the "retouched" dvd versions) so I don't know. I assumed they were all clones, but recently someone informed me that none of the stormtroopers are clones. They are all recruits of some type. I guess. I just love the the EU! :rolleyes:

anti-hero
04-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't remember that ever being explained.
I understand what you're saying, and while it makes perfect sense, it's still inferred.

I assumed they were all clones, but recently someone informed me that none of the stormtroopers are clones. They are all recruits of some type. I guess. I just love the the EU! :rolleyes:

Now that I think about it, the clones seem to be more fearsome and better fighters than the stormtroopers (IMO obviously). So, to me, it would make sense if the stormtroopers were recruits or clones of someone with less ability than Jango.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2005, 01:12 PM
it would make sense if the stormtroopers were recruits or clones of someone with less ability than Jango.
What I believe (with help from a theory by Rocketboy) is that the Stormtroopers ARE clones. Why would Leia make her "..short for a stormtrooper" comment if they weren't all the same size? What Rocketboy suggested is that after replicating Jango's DNA so many times, it became strained. Thus, the stormtroopers weren't anywhere near as good (well, as good as someone who gets their head lopped off can be) as the host.

anti-hero
04-07-2005, 01:39 PM
What I believe (with help from a theory by Rocketboy) is that the Stormtroopers ARE clones. Why would Leia make her "..short for a stormtrooper" comment if they weren't all the same size? What Rocketboy suggested is that after replicating Jango's DNA so many times, it became strained. Thus, the stormtroopers weren't anywhere near as good (well, as good as someone who gets their head lopped off can be) as the host.

That does make sense...Hopefully it will be explained in ROTS. Tho that theory doesn't really explain why the original clones spoke with the accent and the later ones didn't. And as far as Jango getting his head lopped off...he did go toe to toe with Obi-Wan and came out on top (barely) so you got to give him props.

Bantha274
04-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Stormtroopers are NOT clones. They are recruited civilians in the Imperial Military. There are plenty of EU references to this as well as some dialogue from Luke in A New Hope (I can't remember the lines at this time). There are also several inferences in the movies to support the idea that they are not clones.

1. No two stormtroopers have the same voice. Clones are identical.
2. When viewing ROTJ, when the Stormtroopers are lined up on the Death Star awaiting the Emperor's arrival, you can clearly see they are not all the same height.
3. George Lucas re-recorded Boba Fett's lines on the DVDs to match those of the Clone trooper's in the Prequels. If the Stormtroopers were all clones, I believe GL would have changed their voices as well. He did not.
4. We may see in ROTS why Stormtroopers are not clones.

I'm going to try to see GL at Celebration III and ask him if Stormtroopers are clones or not. Actually, do or do not, there is no try.:rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
I assumed they were all clones, but recently someone informed me that none of the stormtroopers are clones. They are all recruits of some type.
Maybe you missed this, Bantha274. I was offering MY THEORY. Also, I would like to know what Luke's references are.

BanthaPoodoo
04-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Stormtroopers are NOT clones. They are recruited civilians in the Imperial Military. There are plenty of EU references to this as well as some dialogue from Luke in A New Hope (I can't remember the lines at this time). There are also several inferences in the movies to support the idea that they are not clones.

1. No two stormtroopers have the same voice. Clones are identical.
2. When viewing ROTJ, when the Stormtroopers are lined up on the Death Star awaiting the Emperor's arrival, you can clearly see they are not all the same height.
3. George Lucas re-recorded Boba Fett's lines on the DVDs to match those of the Clone trooper's in the Prequels. If the Stormtroopers were all clones, I believe GL would have changed their voices as well. He did not.
4. We may see in ROTS why Stormtroopers are not clones.

I'm going to try to see GL at Celebration III and ask him if Stormtroopers are clones or not. Actually, do or do not, there is no try.:rolleyes:

Actually, I think they are clones, as can be evidenced by the slow evolution of their uniforms. Each movie they are slowly getting closer to the way they look in the OT, which I think is really cool!!!

What is hard though is comparing the OT to the PT troopers. Obviously back in the day they didnt have computers to do all the whiz-bang graphics (they had to get actors) and being that actors aren't all the same size, they look different.

I think where ol George is going with this is that Stormtroopers are Clone Troopers. They just didnt completely get rid of all the clones after EIII, they had to do something with them. And after a certain thing happens in the movie, you see why they can go from good (helping the Jedi) to bad (working with the emperor in the OT)

Thats my opinion anyway, but I think thats where this is headed. The way the clones look, the uniforms are slowly migrating towards what they look like in the OT, and all troopers - be it clones/storm they are the same.

EDIT: Took out my stupid comment about not knowing about clones... DUH! How could I forget Obi talking to Luke and them getting the message from leia about serving in the clone wars????

Anyway, I also think it's highly unlikely George wrote from 1-6 at one time. I know its been reported that way, but come on, do you really think he thought about the Gungans, Jar Jar, Darth Maul etc way back then? I think its all a little too convenient....

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Sorry, you're all wrong. And you're all right. There are clone Stormtroopers and recruit Stormtroopers.

This goes back to the prehistory of the EU (or at least prior to AOTC). Recruits and conscripts were put through the wringer in boot camps on Carida and other worlds. Some with promise became Imperial Officers. Some with less promise became Stormtroopers. The ones that were left either didn't make it or got menial jobs in the Imperial Navy. This is because it was always assumed (and you can see this in Dark Empire and the first Zahn books) that the Clone Wars were fought to prevent cloning, not by clones and robots. (Of course, we always thought the Mandalorean Supercommandoes were the bad guys trying to make the clone army.)

This could be explained away as misinformation, or that Carida was a training center for clones, except that several prominent EU characters were former Stormtroopers or linked to them in some way. Han Solo was a TIE Pilot and Imperial Officer, and he certainly is no clone. (Sorry, Tycho. :p) Davin Felth (the Stormtrooper famous for his immortal line, "Look, sir! Droids!") was not a clone (he actually was demoted to a Sandtrooper to keep his mouth shut about a weakness he discovered in the AT-ATs), and in fact joined the Rebellion following his own experiences and observation of Imperial cruelty. Kir Kanos was an Imperial Guard who, like all (or at least most) other OT-era Royal Guards, came from the Stormtrooper ranks. He bears no resemblance whatsoever to Jango Fett.

But some Stormtroopers are clones. One clone Stormtrooper on the Death Star discovered the treasonous acts of a petty officer shortly before they both were blown up by Luke Skywalker. Inside the Worlds of the Star Wars Trilogy specifically says the officer Obi-Wan uses the mind trick on (Davin Felth's commanding officer) is a clone. In Survivor's Quest, Luke and Mara are surprised to see Stormtroopers, making a reference to all the Stormtrooper cloning facilities having been destroyed. The CCG refers to a Stormtrooper as a "clone soldier of the Empire." And why would Lucas show Jango banging his head on a door to create a link to the Stormtroopers if at least some of them aren't clones?

I think the best line about this comes from a story in Star Wars: Empire (I forget the name of the story arc) in which an officer sees a Stormtrooper shot down beside him in the heat of battle with the Amanin: "I never knew his name. I don't even know if he was a clone or a recruit."

Common sense says it's cheaper to train someone than it is to train them after actually creating them. But cloning can certainly help fill up the ranks and keep the image of an enormous army of faceless killers.

Back to the topic of the thread, I completely agree with CaptainSolo1138. There is absolutely no point, story-wise, for any Fett to appear in AOTC, especially Boba, if he doesn't appear in ROTS in some capacity.

Edit: Lucas did know about clones in the 70s, hence the line: "Many years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars." Also, in early drafts of ESB (circa 1978), Lando was supposed to be a clone who survived the Clone Wars. In sci-fi, cloning's a pretty old concept.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Actually, I think they are clones, as can be evidenced by the slow evolution of their uniforms. Each movie they are slowly getting closer to the way they look in the OT, which I think is really cool!!!

I HOPE they're clones. I don't think Uncle George would do it any other way, IMO. I hope he doesn't cater to the EU (again).

Bantha274
04-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey CaptSolo, wasn't tryin to be rude to anyone. And I don't have 100% irrefutable evidence that Stormtroopers are not clones. But there are plenty of things that lead me to believe that.

I think Luke said in ANH, while talking to his Aunt and Uncle at the table, something about he wanted to "join the Academy early", but Uncle Owen says he needed him to stay another season, and then he can join next year. This is referring to the Imperial Military Academy, where Luke wanted to become a pilot.

There's also a similar reference in the deleted scene from ANH when Luke meets up with Biggs and some other friends in Anchorhead. I have no clue what was said, it's been forever since I watched that.

stillakid
04-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Based on onscreen information, at this time, we have no indication either way on whether the Stormtroopers of the OT are clones or not. We certainly get the sense from the OT that they are definitely NOT, but there isn't proof of it.

That said, I did a quick peek inside one of the new ROTS art books or something and there was a specific blurb within stating that after the Clone Wars, Palpatine formed the Imperial Academy in order to recruit soldiers so that he would not have to use clones. Of course that is EU material so we take if for what it is, but based on what we can infer from the OT, it only stands to reason that the only obvious conclusion to draw is that indeed, Stormtroopers of the OT are NOT clones.

Bantha274
04-07-2005, 02:38 PM
So maybe i'm wrong? Oh well. I've read a lot of good theories here.

But ever since I saw ANH in the theatre in 1978, I've always believed Stormtroopers are individual people and not clones. Therefore, I will continue to believe that until Lucas proves otherwise.

That's just me.

LTBasker
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
IMO when was the last time you saw Clones with varying heights, voices and attitudes? Ie: the two Stormtroopers talking on the bridge. A Clone genetically coded for obediance would definitely not question whats going on and just follow orders.

ronhudy
04-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Well, there is one thing we DO know - whether they're clones or not, there must have been a minimum height restriction for being one...

Princess Leia, to Luke in A New Hope: "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

:D

BanthaPoodoo
04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
I'll throw this into the ring:

In the most recent issue of Star Wars insider, the question of why the troopers all have different voices when they were all cloned from Jango is asked. The response goes into the usual "they didn't know they were going to be clones in the 70s" answer, and then says the interesting thing:

"However, there is also an in-universe explanation, provided by none other than George Lucas himself. During the productions of Episode III, Lucas told crewmembers that the stormtroopers seen in Episode IV are made from multiple sources. That is, they're not all Jango clones. By that time in the saga, other clone hosts have been selected.

Lucas intimated that the selection proces has become more political than strategic in some cases - a highly placed officer's cousin might be selected over a more capable specimen, for example. The politicization results in less-than-ideal candidates, which could explain some of the embarrasing marksmanship witnessed in the original trilogy."

From here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-297903

mtriv73
04-07-2005, 03:11 PM
If they are all clones (and good arguments have been made that at least some were recruited) who is to say that they are all Jango Fett Clones? The Empire may have experimented with cloning others with different qualities, or maybe without fresh Jango DNA they couldn't make copies forever without fatal mistakes being incorporated in the genetic code thus forcing them to try cloning other people.

Edit: Doh! Didn't read the post above this one before replying, I thought BP was quoting someone else, my bad.

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Interesting possibility. However, my thoughts are that if Lucas says it off-camera but doesn't actually show it in the film, it's EU. (Remember how Owen was supposed to be Obi-Wan's brother?) This being the case, I prefer the "some are clones, some aren't" explanation. The Emperor isn't a complete moron, which is what he would have to be to knowingly clone inferior Stormtroopers.

CooLJoE
04-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Agreed.

My opinion and belief is that Stormtroopers from OT are both clones and recruits. Obviously they wouldn't drop the clone idea after ROTS, since it helps fill the ranks, so some must be clones. And going on the fact that quite a few major characters were once Stormtrooper (Han Solo being one of them), is proof that some were recruits.

It just makes more sense this way. Here are two more good points:

1) OT Stormtroopers are 15 years AFTER ROTS. Cloning would still be used, but with the Empire having such a strong hold on the galaxy, it makes sense for them to open it up to recruiting. This would not only make the army larger, but also involve the everyday person to be apart of the Empire.

2) Clones wouldn't sit around and chat about the latest weaponry or whatever. They'd either a) already know about it just like all other clones or b) not care anyways cuz...well....they're clones....they don't really have an individual personality.

Besides, I like the idea that Stormtroopers are individual people rather than clones. I grew up thinking they were regular people, and so I'm sticking with that idea. It also makes it more fun for those of us that like to be Stormtroopers (whether in a game or in costume at events).

Rocketboy
04-07-2005, 05:35 PM
During the productions of Episode III, Lucas told crewmembers that the stormtroopers seen in Episode IV are made from multiple sources. That is, they're not all Jango clones. By that time in the saga, other clone hosts have been selected.
I've always (well, since '02) seen it like that.
I assumed that they used up whatever Jango material they had left, then went out and either sought new genetic material or recruits, because a copy of a copy (Boba) still wouldn't be as good as the original.

Slicker
04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm in agreeance about the multiple clone sources. I remember hearing somewhere that was the explination for the bad marksmanship. If you think about it that happens in the real world with relatives getting placed higher than more capable people. Except for the whole cloning process thing that is.