PDA

View Full Version : Apparently we're in for a real treat

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 11:23 AM
My wife has no willpower. We were in the bookstore and I went to the display of ROTS books to see if I'd missed any. (I ordered them even though I'm not planning on reading them for a while.) She stood there and read the junior novelization (despite claiming to not want to know anything).

She told me later that "George Lucas is no Stephen King." A reference to the ending of King's 30-year epic Dark Tower series, in which one of the greatest sagas written is cut short by a series of cop-outs. In her opinion, ROTS (story-wise) will blow TPM and AOTC completely out of the water. (Like me, she thinks TPM is mediocre and AOTC rather good.)

Kidhuman
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
WHat was it, a pop up book?

Pendo
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Why do the book have to come out so early??? I was in my local WH Smiths today and on display was the Novelisation, the 'Making of' book, the Visual Dictionary, and the Conceptional Art book. I had all of them in my hand, and I nearly cried because I was so tempted to open them! Luckily I never!

Let's hope your wife is right :)

PENDO!

stillakid
04-07-2005, 12:01 PM
My wife has no willpower. We were in the bookstore and I went to the display of ROTS books to see if I'd missed any. (I ordered them even though I'm not planning on reading them for a while.) She stood there and read the junior novelization (despite claiming to not want to know anything).

She told me later that "George Lucas is no Stephen King." A reference to the ending of King's 30-year epic Dark Tower series, in which one of the greatest sagas written is cut short by a series of cop-outs. In her opinion, ROTS (story-wise) will blow TPM and AOTC completely out of the water. (Like me, she thinks TPM is mediocre and AOTC rather good.)

Ah, but keep in mind that any kind of "Jr." anything will cut to the chase and leave all the nonsense out. As bad as AOTC really was, the IMAX cut was infinitely better because whoever edited it recognized the crap for what it was and excised it. TPM had the ever so faintest flicker of plot in there but it was surrounded by 118 minutes of useless and irrelevant fluff. I imagine that the Jr. Novelization may in fact be the best version of the story that you'll ever see.

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 12:06 PM
WHat was it, a pop up book?

Ha ha! No, it's the one that's geared toward 4th-5th graders (I think). (I assume she read this one since it's a much quicker read than the standard novelization but still covers most of the story.)

This one. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0439139295/qid=1112893338/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/103-2159521-1879812?v=glance&s=books)

I think she also skimmed the script in the Art of ROTS book as well.

Pendo, I was weak and thumbed through a few pages of the Incredible Cross Sections, which is somewhat spoiler-free if you don't actually read any of the text. And last night I was reading the Inside the Planets of the Star Wars Trilogy that I ordered along with the ROTS books. She told me to put it down when I got to Dagobah. Apparently there are minor spoilers in the details of Yoda's hut. (Funny, mentioning starship parts used in the construction wasn't a spoiler for me; he had to get to Dagobah somehow. :crazed: )

Stillakid, I have pretty high hopes for Matthew Stover's novelization. I thorougly enjoyed Traitor and Shatterpoint (his previous SW novels), and think his dark, psychological tone should suit the story well.

Pendo
04-07-2005, 12:06 PM
TPM had the ever so faintest flicker of plot in there but it was surrounded by 118 minutes of useless and irrelevant fluff. I imagine that the Jr. Novelization may in fact be the best version of the story that you'll ever see.
Yep, the Junior Novelisation of TPM is AMAZING!!! :crazed::p

PENDO!

Pendo
04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Pendo, I was weak and thumbed through a few pages of the Incredible Cross Sections, which is somewhat spoiler-free if you don't actually read any of the text. And last night I was reading the Inside the Planets of the Star Wars Trilogy that I ordered along with the ROTS books. She told me to put it down when I got to Dagobah. Apparently there are minor spoilers in the details of Yoda's hut. (Funny, mentioning starship parts used in the construction wasn't a spoiler for me; he had to get to Dagobah somehow. :crazed: )

I'm still hoping Dagobah is in Episode III!!! I'm also hoping baby-Luke goes there, just to add something extra to his "There's something familiar about this place" line in ESB.

PENDO!

mrpauldeeds
04-07-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm still hoping Dagobah is in Episode III!!! I'm also hoping baby-Luke goes there, just to add something extra to his "There's something familiar about this place" line in ESB.

Word Pendo!

El Chuxter
04-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Isn't "baby Luke" a spoiler? :p

Pendo
04-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Isn't "baby Luke" a spoiler? :p
I don't know. Is he in it??? I'm just guessing!

PENDO!

dr_evazan22
04-09-2005, 01:03 AM
I stayed spoiler free all this time. My rule for muself was to only read or view items that were officially released. So that includes buying and reading the novelization. I can't speak for the 'jr' version, but I do agree we are in for a treat. I was especially happy to read one of the final scenes in the book.

figrin bran
04-09-2005, 02:06 AM
it was right there on the shelves at my local TRU and i just couldn't resist!!!! i may even have caused a fellow collector/fan to follow suit because he started looking through one as well.

but hopefully i made up for it today. one of the patients at the hospital where i work had a copy of the novelization right beside him and he was asleep at the time. i could very well have perused throughout without anyone knowing. but i didn't.