PDA

View Full Version : TRU, Hasbro, and Where are the figures I REALLY want?

Bantha274
04-07-2005, 01:57 PM
I went to TRU today to see if they received some new stock of ROTS figures. I went right to customer service and asked to speak to the manager. After a few minutes, he showed up and I asked him if they had received any new figures. He said "Come on back with me and I'll check." So he led me to the back of the store and I waited a few minutes while he checked. When he came back he told me they did received 3 cases of figures last night, but they were all the same one's they received for the 4/2 sale.

I asked if it would be possible for me to take a look inside the cases to see if, by some slim chance, there were some individual figures inside that they didn't have on 4/2. He said sure, brought the cases out, and helped me look through them.
Sure enough, in all three cases, nothing but the same crap we already have.
So he says "Man this sucks, we're never gonna sell all these. The shelves are still full of these same figures and they expect us to sell even more? Dammit Hasbro!"
We both kinda laughed and I said oh well, I tried. But he did take my name and number and said he would give me a call if he saw any newer figures come in. This guy was really cool and helpful and I just wanted to share my experience as I know some of you have had a hard time dealing with TRU employees lately. Just realize, that sometimes, people WILL go out of their way to help you if you just ask nicely.:)

So does anyone know why some stores are getting the later numbered figures (Clone Pilot, Commander, Vader's Med Droid, etc.) while other stores NEVER got them on 4/2, are still getting cases of the first wave or two, and have yet to receive the newest figures?

cerius
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
A friend of mine ran into a Hasbro rep while looking through a local TRU. They had a conversation and she indicated that most of the "newer" figures 33-40 would likely show up at Target and WM before TRU. I never found out the reason why. This is second (third?) hand information so it may not be entirely accurate. My buddy and I have seen some of these figures at our local Target and WMs though (and not TRU).

Bantha274
04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Interesting, Cerius.
I'll have to make a few phone calls tonight.

Thanx.

megaprime33
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
From all the posts I've noticed for the later number figure findings, they were all found at WM and Target. For some reason TRU gets the backlog of figures....no clue as to why. I'd concentrate you're searching powers at those 2 stores.

ronhudy
04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
I've experienced the same thing...TRU in Las Vegas has had nothing but #1-32 (minus Royal Guards and Clones - LOTS of Anakins/Obi-Wans/Yodas) since MM. But I've already picked up #33-40 at Wal-Mart, and have also seen #33-36 at Target. Haven't seen the Palpatine w/Red saber yet though.

Update: I also have some on Ebay - #37-#40. My starting price is less than what they retail for, and I have no reserve or ridiculous BIN price. You can find 'em here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5968049151

Bantha274
04-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone. Now I know where to go and where not to go. ;)

It's a shame Hasbro makes things so difficult. I'm sure it has to do with free-trade and competition between the different retailers, among other things.

jimmymiro12
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
In my area TRU had the newer ones minus 33-36 but I did get 33 over ebay. They had all the rest. I rember that when AOTC came out a guy said that some figures were being released on the west coast and moutain area before the east coast. While this may be true it is obvious what they are doing. They are trying to make people believe these figures are harder to get so they will buy more. We all know they have them but they are just releasing diffrent figs. in diffrent places. I heard these figures release date is in April so good luck.:)

aricajade
04-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I have a few of these on auction on this website's new auction section. #33 Clone Commander, #34 Clone Pilot, #36 General Grievous, #37 Vader's Medical Droid and #40 Mas Amedda.

Jaina Solo
04-07-2005, 04:33 PM
I thought this was just in my area, but I guess not. I didn't do Midnight Madness, but I hit Target on Saturday morning. When we found some of the later waves (Count Dooku and friends) I heard a lot of people saying "They didn't have these figs at TRU last night" which made me glad I hadn't bothered to go. They still didn't have any of these figs later Saturday when I stopped by TRU- but they had about a million of the earlier figs.

Maybe this is another sign that as a company, TRU really doesn't know what they're doing? Then we have Target and WM, who, yeah, are a little clueless when it comes to collectables and how to sell them *cough* Lava Vader *cough*- but they want to make money, and they're not going to do that by only buying case after case of the early waves of figures.

aceguide
04-07-2005, 04:51 PM
TRU as a whole has been disappointing when it comes to new figs. If it weren't for some good exclusives I'd never go there. NOt only do they stick themselves with more stock than they can move, they never have anything on sale. Moany have seen my posts about my local TRU that has had, and continues to have, two pegs of POTJ snaggle tooths. They have been there for some time (POTJ!) and NEVER have been less than $5. Now they are $5.99 like the rest of theier SW figs.

Makes no sense. Serves them right...

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 09:43 PM
I think there might be 2 main reasons this is happening, 1) Hasbro overproduced the early stuff and has been making a huge stockpile of it for a while now; 2) TRU distribution is overwhelmed by the ridiculous amount of stuff they're getting and they're moving it out to stores in odd ways, trying to get rid of the early junk they got flooded with not realizing they'll need to use it to restock after the film comes out.

I keep trying to give TRU a chance, they created the year-round toy business and without them, our hobby would be verly likely doomed, but they make it so darn difficult with moves like this.

Kidhuman
04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I found 33-39 at WM last Monday. Havent seen them anywhere else as of yet.

jedimastergeorge
04-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Well you know its incredible when your driving around to different walmarts targets and couple toys r us's and not a thing but then the last two stops happen to be a walmart and a target and you happen to stumble on to the AT-TE GUNNER, VADERS MEDICAL DROID, PADMES MEDICAL PERSON,CLONE COMANDER, PALPATINE WITH THE BLUE SABER, AND GREVIOUS WITH THE EXPLODING BODY, AND ALSO THE CLONE PILOT ALL IN ONE DAY AND IN TWO DIFFERENT STORES. I NOW HAVE ALL 40 THATS INCLUDING THE RED GUARD IN WHICH I FOUND AT MM AND NOT INCLUDING MAS AMEEDIA. I STILL NEED HIM. ITS AMAZING. SO DONT GIVE UP PEOPLE THEY'RE OUT THERE YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK HARD. im glad i perchased the star cases for the episode 3 figures. :D

hestep99
04-09-2005, 12:58 PM
It looks as if maybe target is getting the 37-40's and WM is getting 33-36's. Just an observation. Anybody else seen different???

Kidhuman
04-09-2005, 01:03 PM
33-39 at WM for me. Nothing at Target

jedimastergeorge
04-09-2005, 01:11 PM
well for me i fount the at-te gunner and vaders med droid and polis massan at TARGET and at WALMART i found the clone comander, palpatine, clone pilot (they had like 3 more of him) and grevious with exploding body :)

Sith Lord 0498
04-09-2005, 04:10 PM
I've found 33-40 at Wal-Mart with the exception of the AT-TE Tank Gunner. Someone else got to it first. Nothing at Target, and definitely nothing at TRU.

Ji'dai
04-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I found 33-40 at Wal-Mart on Wednesday. Of figures 33-36, there were at least three or more; but I only found one each of 37-40.

tagmac
04-10-2005, 02:01 AM
I'm not sure if #33-40 have hit NJ yet, but I guess it's time to start checking Target more often. As for where those figures are now, cmdstore has 'em....of course, it's $25 each for the Clone Pilot, Tank Driver, and Clone Commander, but then that's how much those figures are worth, considering they've barely been released!!!! I know a lot of these online stores are scalpers, but those prices are ridiculous!!! :frus:

MaquisWarrior
04-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Remember that in all of these stores especially here in So Cal, sold these toys before hand in Feb. and March especially since they are all Vaders, R2s, Mace, etc. Add the factor that sometimes Hasbro sends people to check their products at stores and make a survey they see that the SW figures are/ aren't well stocked and they tell the corporate office and some stores don't buy anymore figs until they sell those. So then here comes the $5.00 sale where many idjits (no offense to anyone) who don't know what to buy:eek: :beard: :D , rushed out and bought 2x the slashing Vader, the tap dancing Chewie and the other lamo repaints/reissues and someone from the store sees this and says:confused: DUH LET'S PUT THE SAME FIGS AGAIN and they get the overstock from a store that's going to close in a month anyway.

When customers ask for the other sets and they do arrive, the usual gang of suspects (TRU,KM,KB,WM,TGT) do what they always do skim from the boxes for the "rare" or interesting ones keep them for themselves give the bird to all of us. That is a main reason of turnover at these stores out here.:greedy:

2. Blame operatives from Black Sun or possibly the Shell Hutts:evil:

Slicker
04-10-2005, 02:22 AM
Let's see, right now it's April 10th the figs came out on April 2nd so that makes it just over a week since they came out. Hey, I've got an idea, how about some friggin' patience. Do you really want Hasbro to shoot the bolt in the first damn week of the figures. I wish they'd wait to release the next ones until after the movie so I can pick up a few things here and there that I still need.

I've said it before, this must be the first time for the release of movie figs for alot of you because after the initial release of TPM and AOTC figs you could find everything you wanted after only a month or 2 of there being released.

Ji'dai
04-10-2005, 12:44 PM
I've only bought seven of the first 32 figures; neither have I purchased any deluxe nor vehicles. As a veteran collector, I know the initial products released in a movie year will be catching dust for some time. Now the next 30 figures are what I'm personally interested in. I wouldn't mind at all if I found 41-56 before May 19. It would actually be kind of a relief, I could concentrate of just buying multiples for army building or choosing among the crap released on April 2 at my leisure.

Scackmgack
04-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Patience schmatience. To be honest, I'm bringing back about $200 worth of stuff because I know it is going to be warming pegs and collecting dust for at least three months, so I can space out the purchases rather than paying for them all now.

Stupid midnight madness...hopefully that is the last one.