PDA

View Full Version : Would you care about cut-scene figures?

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
This may not be the best place for this, but I'm not sure exactly where it would go.

Following the inevitable die-off of the ROTS line later this year or early next year, Hasbro is going to have to recognize that we, the collectors, will be their core buyers for the duration of the license. So we should (ideally) be seeing a lot more figures for characters with a split second of screen time, Expanded Universe figures, etc.

But unless every single boring background human is going to be made, at some point Hasbro could conceivably make "off-camera" figures: characters whose scenes did not appear in the final cuts of the films (or that were eliminated in some later revision). Or maybe resculpts of existing characters in off-screen moments?

Would you be interested in seeing figures from the cut scenes? (Keep in mind we've already got four: Jedi Temple Analysis Droids, TPM R2-D2 with Booster Rockets, two versions of Anakin Skywalker (Sebastian Shaw), and Floppy Hat Luke.)

Here's a brief list of some I can think of off-hand, but this is by no means an exhaustive list:

ANH:
Biggs Darklighter (Academy Uniform)
Deak
Windy
Camie
Fixer
Heater (AKA "Jabba")
Jenny

ESB:
Luke Skywalker (Snowspeeder Pilot Gear) w/ Cannon

ROTJ:
Luke Skywalker (Sandstorm)
Leia Organa (Sandstorm)
Han Solo (Sandstorm)
Lando Calrissian (Sandstorm)

TPM:
Greedo (the Elder)

AOTC:
Padme's family (drawing blank on their names)

beckmen
04-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I'd be down for a Biggs in Acadamy Uniform.

Beast
04-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Don't forget Padme's Dracula-like Senate Speech costume and her Blue Naboo Family Visit costume from AOTC. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey, I said it wasn't an all-inclusive list. I knew I'd miss something.

Could anyone live with a third Mas Amedda figure if he had that weird tongue action from the AOTC DVD going on? :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
04-07-2005, 06:01 PM
The idea, something I had never considered being done, does intrigue me. Not as much as EU figures, but I am interested in this. They would go well with my Shaw/Anakin figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey, I said it wasn't an all-inclusive list. I knew I'd miss something.

Could anyone live with a third Mas Amedda figure if he had that weird tongue action from the AOTC DVD going on? :crazed:
The ROTS one has it already!

Anyway, yeah I'd be up for some. Hopefully we'll get some ROTS figures of Padmé's family, because I think they're in there (not sure). If not, them bring on the AOTC ones! We already have another cut-from-the-movie figure - Lak Sivrak, though it was likely planned before they knew he was cut out of the SE. I'll take an Arleil Shous too, but would prefer first to get Melas.

I still want all the figures from the films first, before they start to make ones that are only on the DVDs (or not even!).

Kidhuman
04-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd buy em

Slicker
04-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I'd totally be down for these. And since they were actually in the movie at one point I myself wouldn't consider these to be EU which would make it easier for me to justify buying these. Some of them would make for really great figures especially the fat Irish Jabba.

ronhudy
04-07-2005, 06:57 PM
AOTC:
Padme's family (drawing blank on their names)

*****SPOILER*****SPOILER*****SPOILER*****
(Highlight to read.)

They will be appearing in EPIII at her funeral.

*****SPOILER*****SPOILER*****SPOILER*****

evenflow
04-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I woudl totally buy all these figures as well as EU.

LTBasker
04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Another cut-scene figure we have is TPM's Booster Rocket R2.

I wouldn't mind seeing figures from deleted scenes, it give Hasbro more to do. However the question is if they could really sell. The Jedi Droids didn't do all that well...

abell748
04-08-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm good for it. All new figures will be the only thing I get after ROTS runs it's course anyway (frag with resculpts and reissues). I am hoping that if they get more collector driven starting in 2006, that with figures suggested in this thread, we could see some vehicles and playsets. Hasblah needs to do something besides a line relaunch to keep collectors around. After ROTS, we are the only thing keeping the line afloat.

HighLordDave
04-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Don't forget Padme's Dracula-like Senate Speech costume and her Blue Naboo Family Visit costume from AOTC. :)

I'd like to see an S&M Padme from AOTC (black leather outfit with the choker; hot!).

We also haven't seen a Senate Speech Jar Jar Binks either, right?

I'd also be up for some EU figures, especially Delta Squad from Republic Commando, some Yuuzhan Vong, Jag Fel, the Solo kids and Joruus C'Boath.

El Chuxter
04-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I mentioned R2-D2 from TPM already, but I somehow completely missed Lak Sivrak!

How about Anakin Skywalker: Tramp Freighter? He could come with a bowl of soup, and they could bring back the CommTech so he can cry out, "Gawd, that's hot!"

ronhudy
04-08-2005, 02:00 PM
How about Anakin Skywalker: Tramp Freighter? He could come with a bowl of soup, and they could bring back the CommTech so he can cry out, "Gawd, that's hot!"

LOL! I remember watching that scene and thinking "Was he joking, or was it really hot soup? If so, was it really necessary to give him a HOT bowl of soup to film that scene? Why not just a bowl of water or milk? I mean, did we really get a close-up shot of what the soup looked like?! Was it supposed to be a visually accurate bowl of Vegetable Mynock soup or something?!

HighLordDave
04-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I think it was Bilbringi-style bantha chowda.

stillakid
04-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I think that some of the cut-scene figures would be interesting. At least as interesting, if not moreso, than those really obscure figures they made based on the books, like Kyle Katern (sp?) and Mara Jade. I mean, I think that most Star Wars geeks at least know about the cut scenes and some of the characters in them, but the EU stuff is for the uber-geeky and that market is quite a bit smaller.

So apart from the cut-scenes characters, when Hasbro starts running out of viable ideas, I'd like to see them yank out the ancient molds and release a new run of the vintage figures including the elusive DROIDS and EWOKS. Would that annoy collectors? I don't think so. Sure, it would annoy opportunists who only get this stuff to resell it, but for anyone truly interested in the hobby, it would be a "gift" from Hasbro. We could finally obtain full sets of the vintage characters that have eluded us for decades. Hmm, maybe this paragraph will end up in the Dear Hasbro section...

Dark Annie
04-08-2005, 07:26 PM
LOL! I remember watching that scene and thinking "Was he joking, or was it really hot soup? If so, was it really necessary to give him a HOT bowl of soup to film that scene? Why not just a bowl of water or milk? I mean, did we really get a close-up shot of what the soup looked like?! Was it supposed to be a visually accurate bowl of Vegetable Mynock soup or something?!

Actually, I think it was supposed to be Yoda Stew. I had a recipe from an old star wars magazine or sumthin, and I had my mom make it for me a when I like 12. It was good stuff ! There was A LOT of Beef in it. I think i lost the recipe though.

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Except for Jabba's stand-in, I wouldn't want any of those ANH figs. I'm assuming that's the guy you meant by "Heater (AKA "Jabba")", but I've never heard of anybody in ANH referred to this way before so I'm assuming.

ESB:
Luke Skywalker (Snowspeeder Pilot Gear) w/ CannonWhat cut scene is this from? Doesn't ring any bells. I would like a Luke in Snowspeeder pilot gear that isn't a buff mid-'90s fig though.

The ROTJ sandstorm figs might be interesting, but only if Lucas first released footage of the scene, I've only seen 1 or 2 stills from it.

I wouldn't want any of those prequel figs you mentioned. I guess cut-scene figs don't appeal to me at all.

El Chuxter
04-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Heater was the name Jabba's stand-in was later given in the EU. Jabba used him as a decoy, though now apparently he wasn't in Docking Bay 94.

The Luke with Cannon is one shot I've seen of Luke manning a huge laser cannon (apparently in Echo Base). I'll try to track it down and post it (or a link) here.

JON9000
04-11-2005, 01:35 PM
ARTICULATION- I think you will see Hasbro up the ante on articulation for new (rehashed) figures. There are only so many characters to make, but Hasbro has only recently gotten it together with articulation. This way they can get you to buy figures of characters you already have. You will see VOTC quality at a lower price point- observe ROTS Chewie.

And it will work. As long as Hasbro makes good figures, I will buy them. As far as EU and off camera go, I'm down with off camera, but I really have no use for EU, because I have found EU to be lame, both in story lines and figures.

Slicker
04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Chux, here's 2 different pictures of your Luke with the Cannon.

beckmen
04-11-2005, 04:54 PM
EU figures could be quite good, as well. I am one of the many sad fans who missed out on Kenner's impossible-to-find short-lived EU line.

Though, I am thinking after ROTS Hasbro will be doing some EU stuff. Also, Clone Wars and whatever the other Star Wars TV project is going to be will be made...

HighLordDave
04-11-2005, 05:04 PM
I wish there were more EU figures; the problem is that only die-hard fans will buy a Jag Fel, Tsavong Lah or Supreme Commander Pellaeon action figure.

JediTricks
04-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Heater was the name Jabba's stand-in was later given in the EU. Jabba used him as a decoy, though now apparently he wasn't in Docking Bay 94.

The Luke with Cannon is one shot I've seen of Luke manning a huge laser cannon (apparently in Echo Base). I'll try to track it down and post it (or a link) here.Thanks for the info. Sometimes the EU comes up with some really dopey crap. ;)

As Slicker's second pic about Luke points out, this was not a cut-scene from the movie but rather a publicity still. This wouldn't be the first figure based on such a thing though, remember the ANH 25th Anniversary packs in the POTJ line? The Han/Chewie set is based on a publicity still.

Slicker
04-11-2005, 08:20 PM
These pictures from the Wampa attack scene cut from Empire give a good reason to NOT make cut-scene figures. Thank God they couldn't get the suit to work.:p

samskull
04-12-2005, 11:32 AM
How about a Death Star Trooper with Cheesy Moustache! or Bee Arthur! from the Holiday Specials! Now thated be EUUUUUUUUUSA!