PDA

View Full Version : How come Mace is stronger than Yoda?

Mace Windex
04-07-2005, 10:43 PM
OK, I haven't read the books or all of the spoilers so I don't know the details of the Fights between Yoda and Palpatine and Mace and Palpatine.
WIth that said, I did see a pic of Mace with Palp's and his own sabers and what appeared to be Palp on the floor. So my question (without anyone giving spoilers) is, how come Mace is strong enough to take Palpatine but Yoda gets beaten by him? Isn't Yoda supposed to be the strongest JEdi ever?

MAce

figrin bran
04-07-2005, 11:50 PM
mace doesn't survive the duel with palpatine

Mace Windex
04-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Yes, I know. My point was why does he seem to be beating Palpatine until Anakin jumps in, yet Yoda can't handle Palpatine on his own? :confused:

Mace

chewie
04-08-2005, 12:26 AM
With Palpatine's ability to see the future and his utter trust of Anakin, he knew that this was the moment in which he gets his new apprentice. It may be that Palpatine feined defeat to finally turn Anakin. Or perhaps Mace just got lucky during the battle. From what I've read the only thing Palpatine truly didn't expect was to have his face get altered by the force lightning reflection.

I say that Palpatine feined defeat since he was so accustomed to forseeing destiny at that point. Being such a big moment it had to be acted out perfectly.

hango fett
04-08-2005, 09:27 AM
With Palpatine's ability to see the future and his utter trust of Anakin, he knew that this was the moment in which he gets his new apprentice. It may be that Palpatine feined defeat to finally turn Anakin. Or perhaps Mace just got lucky during the battle. From what I've read the only thing Palpatine truly didn't expect was to have his face get altered by the force lightning reflection.

I say that Palpatine feined defeat since he was so accustomed to forseeing destiny at that point. Being such a big moment it had to be acted out perfectly.
my thoughts exactly. i haven't got that far in the book yet, but it seems highly likely this is the secnario.
HF

Kidhuman
04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Yodas size has alot to do with his lightsaber ability. Mace can stand toe to toe because he can see eye to eye.

TheDarthVader
04-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Kidhuman is on the right track. They are both powerful, however, I believe Mace's lightsaber technique is more suited to fight Palpatine than Yoda's saber technique. I have just four or so chapters to read until I am finished with the book! WOW...is all I have to say. I can't wait to see the movie! :D

B.
TDV

chewie
04-08-2005, 06:54 PM
One other thing. At the end of the RotS novel when Anakin gets his limbs chopped off, doesn't Obi-Wan mention something about having the "high ground"? Right afterwards Anakin jumps up at him and gets his limbs cut off. From the trailers it appears that Palpatine is above Yoda in the Senate chamber. Maybe this high ground issue is what gave Palpatine the edge to defeat Yoda.

The 'Xir
04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
It's kinda hard to ask a question like this, want an answer, and not expect that answer to reveal what happens in the movie(be spoilerific)! Actually it's impossible! Especially in the spoilers' section! Assume all you want, but I'll just say that someones post here is right!
**SPOILER**
Actually, it's..."dead" on!

Slicker
04-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Besides, Mace appears to be in a strictly lightsaber fight while Yoda is jumping around on unstable, uneven ground while have huge ***** senate rotundas launched at him.

Kinda like trying to play dodgeball with boulders. It may get tough at times.;)

Kidhuman
04-09-2005, 09:10 AM
One other thing. At the end of the RotS novel when Anakin gets his limbs chopped off, doesn't Obi-Wan mention something about having the "high ground"? Right afterwards Anakin jumps up at him and gets his limbs cut off. From the trailers it appears that Palpatine is above Yoda in the Senate chamber. Maybe this high ground issue is what gave Palpatine the edge to defeat Yoda.

So basically you are invoking King of the Mountain rules here. It would be easier for the person on higher ground to win, becausae they are defending instead of mounting an offense.

sith_killer_99
04-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Actually the novel goes into this in greater depth. Mace's lightsaber style allows him to channel darkside energy from his opponant's attack and funnel it back towards them.

Yoda doesn't actually get defeated, he sees through the force that he cannot survive the confrontation and escapes with only his pride wounded. At the same time he comes to realize why he was going to be defeated.

Going back to the whole "point of view" thing.

Who is the more powerful, Mace, who dies, or Yoda who survives and gains deeper understanding in the force?