PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing sales of the new SW merchandise.

Mace Windex
04-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I'd like to hear from everyone about sales of SW merchandise in your area. Here in Tampa Florida the shelves are chock full of every April 2nd release with the exception of the Grevious 12 inch. Pegs are slammed full! For the midnight sale only 6 people were at my local Walmart. Is the demand gone? Did they over produce figures? Have the stores ordered too much merchandise? Sales were minimal at best.
So far, none of the newer figs have hit the shelves in my area. We probably won't see any until after the film comes out.

mace

Joshkj
04-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Run now get me Cllone commanders ATRT gunners Pilots, and every other non quick draw clone and all red/blue guards for me!

Mace Windex
04-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Seriously,
If you need something, let me know. Remember, they only have the first 30 or so figures that came out on April 2nd.

MAce

Flyin_Solo
04-08-2005, 12:07 AM
i need 4 more quick draw clones :-P

Joshkj
04-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Thats cool, I thought you ment they had like all the figs.

I do really need a Red guard and 2 blue guards.
Shoot me an email at Joshkj@gmail.com if you have any extra.

Joshkj
04-08-2005, 12:08 AM
i need 4 more quick draw clones :-P

I have 4 extra actually that I was just about to put up for auction if you want them:p

Veers
04-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Pretty full around here also.

Clonetrooper630
04-08-2005, 03:20 AM
I can forsee that we will be having the same problems finding figures next year as the stores will not want to get burn AGAIN by Hasbro like with AOTC. :rolleyes:

Slicker
04-08-2005, 03:30 AM
My stores in VA Beach are pretty full but from what I've seen the product seems to be movie quite fast. I went into WM the other day and the pegs and shelves were full and I just went back today and I would say that nearly half of the product was gone. I don't know if they pulled it to go into the back or, more likely, customers bought it. I totally expected there to be lots of product sitting on the shelves but I look for it to slowly dwindle down by summer's end.

Fluke Skywalker
04-08-2005, 03:58 AM
I think what's giving that impression (at least around here) is that figures aren't moving. The pegs are stuffed like a Thanksgiving Turkey. What is selling are ships and vehicles. Even the Boga Lizard which I thought would be like the Reek and rot on shelves. Thursday night I found about two Obi-Wan fighters on the shelves and that was it for vehicles. The Unleashed GG is gone everywhere, but Anakin's and Obi's remain. Role play toys are moving OK. Same for the 12" line, which was produced in much smaller numbers this time out. (Which is good because they stink IMHO)

Once again it looks like Hasbro over produced the basic figure line. At least the first #32. #33-56 contains some of the most heavily anticipated figures, and I bet they'll ship in smaller numbers :dis:

abell748
04-08-2005, 07:32 AM
I went to my local Walmart two days after MM and saw that about half of the stuff was gone. I thought that maybe it sold well and we would see the new stuff. Then I walked to the back of the store and saw where they had set up a second display away from the tou aisle. That is where the missing product went, not into collections, but to the new display racks. Target is not as slammed full, but they also do not reorder until everything is gone around here. TRU is slammed full of the first 12 figures and the #26 Disco Fever Yoda.

HighLordDave
04-08-2005, 08:53 AM
At least the first #32. #33-56 contains some of the most heavily anticipated figures, and I bet they'll ship in smaller numbers :dis:

But will stores stock up on the #33-56? The #33-40 figures are mixed in the cases with a lot of #1-32s, so out of 12 figures, only 4-6 are #33+. If the #41-56 figures are similarly mixed it, stores might be reluctant to buy more figures because the stock they already have isn't moving. Or they'll buy the product, but the cases will sit in back rooms because the shelves are still full of Mon Mothmas, Bail Organas and C-3POs.

JEDIpartner
04-08-2005, 09:04 AM
I went to three Targets and the product seems to be moving nicely. There was a father and his three sons at the one in Parma yesterday evening. The kids were SO excited about the toys and were telling dad which ones they wanted. No one is buying the Force Battlers and the Attacktix don't seem to be moving so well, either. Predicted that, didn't we? The figures were at 60% full. Some pegs had 2 figures and other pegs had no more than 5. This was true with the endcap as well. Unfortunately, there is that pesky endcap by the cash-wrap area. Still, I scanned a barcode into the aisle scanner and it registered "NO" for the stockroom. That's encouraging.

sunshine
04-08-2005, 09:05 AM
There pretty well stocked here in El Paso, TX but the are moving at a pretty smooth rate, I expect see it move faster as the movie gets closer to release and commercials start to run on TV.

Kidhuman
04-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Figures moving slowly here even at Target, but in a small town, 4 stores stocking heavily kills you in future relases. I ma glad I got 33-39 alreday.

X13VADER
04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I Bought At Least 2 Of Every Figure. If They Would Give More Army Builders I Would Buy Them. I Left Some Quick Draw Clones But I Did Get 16 Of Them.4 Extra Royal Guard/senate Guards To Open.a Few Battle Droids And Super Battle Droids.i Was Really Looking For The Clone Pilots,commanders And At-te Gunners.i Guess To Say They Over Produced Is Not Entirely Accurate,they Produced Over Produced The Single Figures When They Should Have Produced The Armies.

cdatkins
04-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Figures #1-32 contain too many figures that were available in the AOTC line (all the Jedi) or in previous OT lines (Darth Vader, Emperor, R2, C3PO, Chewbacca).

How many NEW figures do we really have in #1-32? Not many...and that's why they aren't selling well right now.

mm74md
04-08-2005, 10:33 AM
In Western Maryland the only stores sitting on product seems to be the Wal Mart & KB stores. Target, TRU and even Kmart seem to be moving the stuff out pretty well. Pegs at Target have got to be under 50% full. I am so sick of seeing Yoda, Super BD, & Chewbacca figures already!

ronhudy
04-08-2005, 11:36 AM
At the Wal-Marts in Las Vegas I frequent, product seems to be moving fairly well. The closest Wal-Mart to me had about 2 dozen people on MM, and I've already picked up #33-40 there. They were restocking last night, and I saw two more cases with #33-#36. Only thing I have had a hard time finding is, of course, Royal Guards. Picked up a few blue, but have only seen 1 person snag a Red since MM. I have seen them at two other Wal-Marts as well. I would say one of them has half of what was out at MM, and still a decent selection of figures - no particular figure in over-abundance. Targets here seem to have more of the Yoda/Anakin/Obi-Wan peg warming problem, but I see kids buying them, and I'm sure by the time the movie is out, some of those will disappear.

Hellboy
04-08-2005, 02:36 PM
So far the first batch of figures seem to moving nicely at all stores my area. A few stores are even low on inventory which is a good thing. That tells me retailers have learned from their past mistakes and didn't over order on the initial waves. This should prove beneficial as the next assortments should go directly to the pegs when they start showing up in the months to come. :)

Scackmgack
04-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Boston TRUs, WMs, and Targets are loaded with #1-#32 but no sign of anything higher than that yet. So far, I've only seen one Target which looks like it is seeing some appreciable sales with pegs about 50% full.

I am DYING for #33-#40....

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 09:28 PM
I hit 6 stores yesterday, 4 Targets and 2 TRUs. The first TRU was packed with #1-24 except for the Clone Troopers and Royal Guards, they even have a bin of basics going, and the bin is trashing the packaging so fast (scuffing bubbles and bending cards) that you'd think they had them for a year instead of a week. Attacktix were selling fairly well, as were some of the vehicles and other stuff, and Lego, but deluxe and basic figs were death. All 4 Targets had the same thing as each other, packed regular sections, packed endcaps, and little displays on the checkstands that weren't especially packed. There were a million of the same figures as TRU, plus a lot of the secondary Jedi like Aayla Secura and Luminara and Saesee Tiin, and you could find stuff like that littering the toy section (stuff people picked up and later put down), their Lego section was a little lighter than before but should have been less since they have some sets on sale, and their Attacktix is downright selling well - only 1 Target had anything interesting, and that was only a couple of each Evil Ani and Jedi Kick Obi-Wan and Spinning Yoda. The second TRU had even more stuff on the shelves, but no figure bin that I could find.

The one very common denominator at all 6 stores was that NOBODY was in these sections, I saw at most 4 customers besides myself looking in those areas. I suspect part of the problem there is that TRU is so stupid they don't realize the seasonals section off to the left of the entrance is generally overlooked since the cool toys are always to the right while the swimming junk and babies toys are around the seasonals area, and Target dedicated entire halves of an aisle to SW but it's the "lesser interest" back wall behind the main section of Boys Toys and is woefully easy to overlook unless you're thinking about Lego instead of SW.

CrossWizard
04-08-2005, 11:58 PM
All my local stores are swarmed by Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Grievous. The only store that still has some Collection 2 figures for variety is KB and that's only cause they're $7.99.

I really need a Clone Commander and #35 Palpatine but it doesn't look like I'm gonna be seeing them until later this year.

gsr-jedi
04-09-2005, 02:11 AM
It's only been a week, it's way too premature to say how disappointing things are. Most of us spent our alloted toy money last Saturday. Ask yourself, if you haven't bought 1-32 how many figures have you bought since 4/2? People may start to buy more stuff after this weekend or next, after we start to get paid again. I have noticed that the vehicles do seem to be going pretty well, and my local Target at least is getting low on Attactix (so I'm not the only one buying them).

Flyin_Solo
04-09-2005, 02:37 AM
1-32 is moving slowly here everywhere, but hey smalltowns do that, slight showing of 33+ but here is my tip guys.

Ok guys, if you really want 33+ get balls, its what I did, I called back an associate to my target and explained how newer figures were mixed with the old figs in boxes, so he got the manager, we pulled out 4 cases and pulled out the 33+'s lol they were cool, just ask nicely guys they wont mind, if it means money, and they are allowed to sell it, they'll help ya.

mastermatt24
04-09-2005, 02:38 AM
My Targets and Walmarts are moving stuff fine.

CrossWizard
04-09-2005, 07:08 AM
1-32 is moving slowly here everywhere, but hey smalltowns do that, slight showing of 33+ but here is my tip guys.

Ok guys, if you really want 33+ get balls, its what I did, I called back an associate to my target and explained how newer figures were mixed with the old figs in boxes, so he got the manager, we pulled out 4 cases and pulled out the 33+'s lol they were cool, just ask nicely guys they wont mind, if it means money, and they are allowed to sell it, they'll help ya.

That might've worked for your area but when asked if they could please check in the back, my local stores either said that they couldn't pull anything out until what's on shelves sell, or in TRU's case, "What's on the back is the same as what we currently have on shelves".

DarthZylek
04-09-2005, 09:42 AM

I went to MM last night around 10, that is when they put out boxes for restock. I found several cases on figures and I opened 3000N and 3000M and now I have 3 Clone Commanders and 3 Clone Pilots!!!

General_Grievous
04-09-2005, 03:33 PM
In my area, there are plenty of figures and the Force Battlers are rotting. The 12 inch and Unleashed were selling like hotcakes on April 2nd, but now seem to be doing slower business. What I find funny is that the friggin' vehicles are selling the best!! This is a real first, especially since they warmed shelves compared to the sales of the action figures. But around here, it's damned near impossible to find stuff like the ARC-170, the trifighter, the gunship the AT-RT, and the Barc Speeder (which I was fortunate to pick up). The Boga, the wheelbike and the Jedi Starfighters seem to be near-shelfwarmers, though. I just can't believe that the ARC and the gunship, the most expensive vehicles, are sold out completely.

Sith Lord 0498
04-09-2005, 04:15 PM
In my area, there are plenty of figures and the Force Battlers are rotting. The 12 inch and Unleashed were selling like hotcakes on April 2nd, but now seem to be doing slower business. What I find funny is that the friggin' vehicles are selling the best!! This is a real first, especially since they warmed shelves compared to the sales of the action figures. But around here, it's damned near impossible to find stuff like the ARC-170, the trifighter, the gunship the AT-RT, and the Barc Speeder (which I was fortunate to pick up). The Boga, the wheelbike and the Jedi Starfighters seem to be near-shelfwarmers, though. I just can't believe that the ARC and the gunship, the most expensive vehicles, are sold out completely.

I'm finding the same situation around here. However, the 12 inch Grievous is AWOL, and only one or two Sidious 12 inch figs are around. The items that are truly rotting on the pegs are the Attacktix, the Force Battlers (except Vader--he's selling out), the Boga, the secondary Jedi 3.75 inch figures, and the electronic lightsabers (only b/c they were way over-ordered!!!).

Other items that are non-existent in NE Pennsylvania: AT-RT, Republic Gunship, ARC-170, Droid Tri-Fighter, half of the 33-40 figure series, Mustafar playset, and Battle Arenas.

Bobby Fett
04-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Everything seems to be moving pretty well in eastern Missouri, especially the Force Battlers and 12 inch. Vehicles seem to be the slowest movers, along with the 3 3/4" Jedi figures.

Sith Lord 0498
04-09-2005, 10:39 PM
The basic 3.75 figures are moving well at WM in my area. Yesterday, the pegs were filled with figures 1-32. Today, half of the inventory was gone. I suppose the slow week we had was to be expected. Most people bought their fill at Midnight Madness, and the general public probably wasn't too aware of the ROTS merchandise until it hit stores--and they had to wait for their next paycheck to arrive before buying.

Wugmanmax
04-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Most everything is selling well in the southern Twin Cities area as well. Force Battlers don't seem to be moving at all, but everything else is.

JON9000
04-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I think you will see things pick up after the movie comes out. This is a movie year, and that is what drives sales among kids. Even if HAsbro gets a 90% sell through (which would probably be an awesome number for them), there would still be a lot of merchandise left over that will sell slowly. This first wave of figures is probably designed to last throughout the film's run, so I agree with those who say it is too early to tell.

trandoshan666
04-10-2005, 12:07 PM
I was pleased to see upon last check (yesterday) that the basic figures are moving pretty well here, too. I sincerely hope that means that parents are buying pleny of Star Wars toys for their kids.

Hellboy
04-10-2005, 03:16 PM
I just returned from TRU and their entire wall display of SW figures was about 20% full and they had no inventory to fill the holes. Customers like myself who were looking to spend $25 to get their Holo-Yoda didn't have much of a selection to choose from. I don't ever remember this being the case this early in the game with the EP II figures. :sur:

Sith Lord 0498
04-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I just returned from TRU and their entire wall display of SW figures was about 20% full and they had no inventory to fill the holes. Customers like myself who were looking to spend $25 to get their Holo-Yoda didn't have much of a selection to choose from. I don't ever remember this being the case this early in the game with the EP II figures. :sur:

That's what my TRU looked like an hour ago. I'd say between 40-50% of the basic figures were still there, nearly all of the Attacktix were gone b/c of the promotion (buy a starter pack, get a booster pack free), nearly all the medium assault vehicles were gone. They still had about 20 Holographic Yodas dumped in a bin. Some were in great shape. One had the entire bubble smashed inward.

Sad thing is...according to the store manager, they don't know when they'll be receiving additional inventory. I'm at the point of just skipping over TRU for the the foreseeable future.

Obi-wedge
04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Out and about today at WalMarts and Target. LOTS of 1-12 on the pegs. No Darth Taters to be found. Lightsabers everywhere like usual. $20 vehicles are just about gone...12 inch is only the Clone Trooper. NO Gunships or ARC fighters. Lots of Force Battlers and Galactic heros. LEGOS up to my arse. Deluxe figs are slowly moving. Hard to find the good general, all 3 versions of Vader/anakin and transforming palpatine are so-so, Bunny Hop Obi-wan are collecting dust.

Just an FYI from North OKC

Mace Windex
04-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Checking back in after visiting two toys R us stores, three walmarts, two targets and two KB toys. The only items moving here are the 12 inch figures. Zero Grevious anywhere. No Vader or Sidious at Walmart, Target, or KB. Some stores had clones. Rus had tons of Palpatines. All April 2nd figures were on the pegs and the pegs were full in every store. Looks like nobody is buying this stuff. The only small figure who seemed in short supply was Padme.
Mace

ndjedi
04-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Figures #33-40 seem to be what EVERYONE here in West Texas wants! I've as of this Sunday, found those last eight!!! Also the Red Royal Guard seems to still be a hot item, its no where to be found! I do see Figures #1-24 everywhere, esp at Wal-Mart. Those Atticktix don't seem to be moving at all.

Fluke Skywalker
04-11-2005, 03:08 AM
I can't believe how well GG seems to be selling. I mean after Maul and Jango, I thought people would do the "Fool me thrice shame on me" thing with the PT disposable villians. And, GG hasn't even really been as hyped as the the other two. Not really featured in the trailers or anything. All the GG stuff is moving. Unleashed, 12", 3 3/4 basic and Deluxe.

I saw a few of the deluxe GG's opening night and passed, planning to get one on clearance. Those were the last I saw, and will probably see. The other deluxe aren't selling at all.

CrossWizard
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
So I go to TRU today to check if there were any Holo Yodas left, I ask around and to my surprise there were a crapload on the customer service counter. I walk over to the ROTS section and I see it's jam packed with figures, almost like 4/2 morning.

I'm like "please let it be #33-#40, or at least a ton of clones and royal guards", no, and nope. Over 400 figures in a large section and this is all they had:

#1 Obi Wan
#2 Anakin
#3 Yoda
#9 Grievous
#10 Mace
#11 Vader
#13 Dooku
#14 Chancellor Palpatine
#15 Bail
#18 C-3PO
#24 Mothma

Of 1 through 9, and 11 there were literally hundreds, just 4-5 Dookus and a large amount of both Senators. I swear that for every Dooku there must've been like 40 Obi Wans. No Deluxe besides Obi Wan w/ SBD.

So I tried using my 4/2 reciept and it didn't work, and the Yodas weren't for sale, so I left empty handed as spending $25+ on figures I already have or do not like is not worth it.

JediTricks
04-11-2005, 08:13 PM
I can't believe how well GG seems to be selling. I mean after Maul and Jango, I thought people would do the "Fool me thrice shame on me" thing with the PT disposable villians. And, GG hasn't even really been as hyped as the the other two. Not really featured in the trailers or anything. All the GG stuff is moving. Unleashed, 12", 3 3/4 basic and Deluxe.I think it's just that he looks interesting and different, and has lightsabers. And the masses seem to like the PT's disposable villains, look at how poorly its non-disposed ones have sold, Palpatine and Dooku aren't exactly hotcakes right now.

jedibear
04-11-2005, 09:23 PM
The only versions of GG that are in short supply way up north are:

The 12" version....have'nt seen it anywhere since the midnight madness sales..
The "Deluxe" version....which I find odd because it doesn't look that different from the basic version except for that silly accessory...
The "unleashed" version...can be found around here if you look hard enough...and it's the best version out right now, especially out of the package!

The basic figure is still widely available along with his Wheel Bike ( a great creative vehicle out of the box).

Knowing what I know (after reading months of spoilers, the comic and the book) about how involved Grevious is in the story/movie, I think it's admirable that he hasn't been over-hyped via trailers and such...

bobafrett
04-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I bought the ARC 170 ship, and asked if that counted toward the money for the Holo Yoda figure, seeing as the same scenerio is at my local TRU as many others, they simply have too many Anakins, and Grevious or #1 through #32. The ship did count toward the $25 for the figure. Another TRU about 20 minutes from my house was drowning in figures, they had 4 shopping carts, 1 huge drop bin, as well as the pegs on the walls just covered with the same figures. You know what this means, I doubt we'll see many newer figures right away, and if so, they will be slow coming.

JON9000
04-11-2005, 11:03 PM
I think it's just that he looks interesting and different, and has lightsabers. And the masses seem to like the PT's disposable villains, look at how poorly its non-disposed ones have sold, Palpatine and Dooku aren't exactly hotcakes right now.
That's a shame because I think these are two of the rare figures that have managed to get the concept of "soft-goods" right. And while I do not own Dooku, he looks like he has some really nice articulation. I guess with the volume, kids are driving the bus now, and let's face it, Anakin is the bad guy to get. Palps and Dookster look like a couple of old fuddie-duddies to your average kid. And Dooku isn't featured prominently in the commercials.

HighLordDave
04-12-2005, 09:35 AM
The ship did count toward the $25 for the figure.
Our local TRU would count anything Star Wars towards the $25 for the holographic Yoda, even M&Ms and the big Pez dispensers.

bobafrett
04-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Our local TRU would count anything Star Wars towards the $25 for the holographic Yoda, even M&Ms and the big Pez dispensers.

Hmmm, the lady checked to see if the Yoda figure came off after she rung the ARC 170 in. Sure enough it did, so I thought they had the computer set to tell if the purchase would count. I also bought the ARC 170 lego ship to get 2 free mini TIE interceptors. Oh well, I wanted both anyway, just thought I's wait to see if they got reduced or clearanced. Still haven't seen any SW related PEZ dispersers either.

Mace Windex
04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Update:

Stores are still chock full of the first waves of figures. Supplies are low on Vader and PAdme. Everything else seems to be warming the pegs. No sign of 12 Inch GG. He's been out since April 2nd.
No sign of any new figures yet.
TRus is SLAMMED full of the first waves. There are no less than THREE full isles of SW merchandise PLUS bins!
This isn't looking good for those of us waiting for the next figures to be released.

Mace

cdatkins
04-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Update:

Stores are still chock full of the first waves of figures. Supplies are low on Vader and PAdme. Everything else seems to be warming the pegs. No sign of 12 Inch GG. He's been out since April 2nd.
No sign of any new figures yet.
TRus is SLAMMED full of the first waves. There are no less than THREE full isles of SW merchandise PLUS bins!
This isn't looking good for those of us waiting for the next figures to be released.

Mace

I hope we don't have another 1999 situation on our hands....where none of the new figures get shipped because they shipped too much of the early stuff.

JediTricks
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM
That's a shame because I think these are two of the rare figures that have managed to get the concept of "soft-goods" right. And while I do not own Dooku, he looks like he has some really nice articulation. What Palpatine has soft goods? As for Dooku, he does have nice articulation, but his soft goods cape is a mixed bag as it does look nice but it REALLY wants to assert itself outwards, the cloth is too strong and sticks out unnaturally.

I hit a bunch of stores yesterday, there are way too many pegwarmers from figs 1-32 at this point, should have held some of those figs back till the movie hit and more interest in regular figures could be drummed up. Lots and lots of Jedi Starfighters and Wheel Bikes too, and tons of Bogas and BARCs and all the deluxes except Greivous.

jedibear
04-13-2005, 09:49 PM
I live out in the sticks now so....the only place the is swimming in figures around here (the first 25 or so) is TRU. Our Kmart is still completely sold out of basic figures, our Walmart is still doing okay with tons of the first 20 or so...the notable exceptions missing are Dooku, C3PO and the female jedi. KB is okay (mainly because of the price) and Kohls has one rack's worth (I managed to find the red-saber Palp, exploding GG, Clone Pilot & the amazing Clone Commander there)

It is looking like history is repeating itself with the glut of the first waves making the appearance of later waves questionable. Oh well. It's one of the only reasons I'm glad this is the last major event Hasbro will host with these figures. (I just don't see a huge push over the potentail forthcoming TV series)

I'm just disappointed that the most exciting & original releases for ROTS (Senators, Mustafar/Nemo/Upataun/Wookiee Warriors, Pilot Obi, Crispy Ani, Operation Vader, more clones) are late in the line making chance a little slimmer seeing them at retail. Time will tell....

JON9000
04-13-2005, 10:19 PM
What Palpatine has soft goods? As for Dooku, he does have nice articulation, but his soft goods cape is a mixed bag as it does look nice but it REALLY wants to assert itself outwards, the cloth is too strong and sticks out unnaturally.
Know what? Collection2 Palpatine's plastic fooled me in the package. That's a bummer on the Dooku as well. The cloak actually looks like it sits down in the package. Skunked again... :(

General_Grievous
04-13-2005, 11:01 PM
I can't believe how well GG seems to be selling. I mean after Maul and Jango, I thought people would do the "Fool me thrice shame on me" thing with the PT disposable villians. And, GG hasn't even really been as hyped as the the other two. Not really featured in the trailers or anything. All the GG stuff is moving. Unleashed, 12", 3 3/4 basic and Deluxe.

You know why? He's had a lot of hype build-up that started with the Clone Wars cartoon just about a year ago, not to mention he had a whole article dedicated to him in Star Wars Insider around the same time. Then he got even more recognition a few months ago with the "Labyrinth of Evil" book. Add that to the popularity of the Sneak Preview figure and finally, his awesome role in the latest batch of Clone Wars cartoons, and you've got yourself one hot property there.

Darth Maul had some popularity, but that faded quickly. And Jango Fett was pretty much a nobody from the start. People didn't care about him. No idea why, though.

Ji'dai
04-14-2005, 01:10 AM
The only exposure I've had to Grievous is from the cartoon and toys but I kinda liked the way Grievous looked with his skeleton-like construction and the fact that he's a cyborg is interesting. I don't care for his head sculpt since it reminds of a battle droid's, which I despise. So he and his henchmen were among the few figures I've bought from the new line.

Sith Lord 0498
04-14-2005, 06:53 AM
As of yesterday, TRU is still choking on 1-32, but both area Wal-Marts are selling their basic figures very well. Out of boredom last night, I filled the lower pegs to capacity--just to see how many pegs were left (all had figures on them, but many pegs just had two or three figures). Out of roughly 30 pegs, 20 of them were completely empty. They have enough room for approximately 15 cases.

And yes, I left the pegs just like that--looking almost completely empty. One thing I remember when I worked at that Wal-Mart years ago was this: the one sure way to p**s off management and send them into a near-firing tirade was to leave a lot of empty shelf space. They like maintaining the illusion of being well-stocked even if they aren't. Now...I'm not trying to actually get someone fired. My hope is that management will see the pegs and push to get in new cases to fill the gaps.

I just hope they're new cases...

dindae
04-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I still think its too early to worry about not getting new figures. Having hit about 30 target/walmart/tru stores from Nashville tn to gainesville fl this last weekend I feel like I got a good cross section. The quickest movers are the large vehicles and 12 inch. Collection 2 seems to be thining out leaving more Ani, Obi, Yoda, and Palp. Now whether they truely more prevelant or just appear that way because the all have 2 figures each I can't say for sure. Most store were running 60-70% capacity. Attactix seemed hit or miss depending on the store/area. Force Battlers are going to tank big time. The At-Rt is moving good along with the Tri fighter. The other medium ships move ok. The boga and barc seem to be moving slow. But keep in mind most stores didn't get many ARC-170 or gunships or 12 inch. The vehicles are what 2 to a case? Most stores only have space to stock four so it won't take much to sell out. Plus its frickin' sweet. Most stores only had 1-32. A few had 33-36. Ultimately the true test will be to see what is on the shelves at the end of may. If stores are still getting more cases of only 1-32 still it doesn't look good but if they are only getting a few more of those and then only newer assortments we should be good to go. I have never worried about seeing to many main characters on the shelves eventually they will sell unlike characters like Ketwol.

Kidhuman
04-14-2005, 11:44 AM
One WM here has cut one of the aisles down to a 16 foot section froma 24 foot and combiunedit wihtanother SW section, so sales are going in the right direction.

WesleySr
04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Both of the WM's that I frequent are still full of 1-32 figures and they just put out some new ones last night. I don't even want to talk about TRU and Target. Since they raised the prices back up, I don't think I have seen one single figure sell.

Lazer Brain
04-14-2005, 02:42 PM
well, if it were not for kohls getting the last ones thru mas amedda would not have happened yet. target and walmarts here are looking a little stagnant. i even have a end cap full on the early bird kits (40+)here, i am wondering if they will go on clearance or not.i'll buy another one if it goes under $20. and the attacktix just look stupified there nesting on the shelves. i can wait to get the chess set on clearence too, if at all. the only thing that is scarce are the arc ships,why,because it ROCKS.

later

mastermatt24
04-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Kohls rocks!!! :crazed:

JediTricks
04-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Know what? Collection2 Palpatine's plastic fooled me in the package. That's a bummer on the Dooku as well. The cloak actually looks like it sits down in the package. Skunked again... :(Palpatine #14, right? His simple black outfit is the main reason I'm not buying that figure, the second being the headsculpt is too narrow and the paint is wonky. As for Dooku, it's not the worst thing to happen, I'm glad they went this route, but it's definitely uncooperative.

I hit 2 TRUs, 3 Targets, and a WM yesterday, WM had the least amount of product but still pretty slammed with most everything from 1 to 32 except for Clones and Senate Guards; Targets had the same thing except 1 of the stores had a few clones and senate guards to boot, another had a few ARC-170s. TRU same thing except for 1 lone Palpatine #35 and a few ARCs and AT-RTs. It's still pretty slow and overpacked with those boring 1-32 figs. Oh, all 3 chains were running low on Attacktix, which keeps surprising me since I think the line looks pretty awful.

Kidhuman
04-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Thats because YTRU had the sale of buy the starter and get a booster free. Attacktix are kind of fun. I will buy saome down the line. Kids games, you know :beard:

WesleySr
04-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Thats because YTRU had the sale of buy the starter and get a booster free. Attacktix are kind of fun. I will buy saome down the line. Kids games, you know :beard:

My 5 year old loves my SW stuff. But he is a little rough with them. Are those Attacktix sturdy? Fun for kids??

adultstarwarsfreak
04-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Here is my theory...too much, too quick, unplanned. Remeber TPM midnight madness, and how we all gathered in line becuase of the newness of it all. I remember overhearing a guy in line stating the he was exited about Maul because of the DETAIL on his face. All those figures in the first batch sucked! Nobody realized it until it was too late when we recieved better figures of Qui-Gon, Maul, and others because Hasbro improved. I expected the same with AOTC and I was right...the first batch of figures were rushed and I did not buy any figres for a long while. Now with RotS...damn, same problem-AGAIN! The only figures that I thought was worth getting was Threepio, only because Hasbro did him right for the first time. Good Sculpt, removeable limbs, good pose. Dooku...only becuase he is an improvement over the last one. Most of the paint jobs that I have seen with the other figures were poor, too many gimicks, and too much of the same'ol crap. Like the rest of you, I want Mustafar Anikan, Super-poesable Trooper, Red Palpatine ( who I am will to give money over to any one who wants to sell it...carded or uncarded!!!...good money too!), and the Clone commander! And guess what, either these figures are not out, or in short supply! Hasbro should have slowed down and give us what we really want! Just a Theory!!!!

Kidhuman
04-16-2005, 10:07 AM
My 5 year old loves my SW stuff. But he is a little rough with them. Are those Attacktix sturdy? Fun for kids??

They are sturdy, but the missles shoot pretty hard.

Obi-wedge
04-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I love it when something gives me a chance to poke out an eye!

trandoshan666
04-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm really encouraged by what I'm seeing at the Wal-Mart near me: The store seems to have fewer and fewer of the basic figures every day, and today I actually saw a couple of KIDS coaxing their moms into buying them figures. That's something I haven't seen in awhile very promising.

Sith Lord 0498
04-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm really encouraged by what I'm seeing at the Wal-Mart near me: The store seems to have fewer and fewer of the basic figures every day, and today I actually saw a couple of KIDS coaxing their moms into buying them figures. That's something I haven't seen in awhile very promising.

My local WM is down to approximately 20-25 basic figures left out of the 200+ they had at Midnight Madness. Even the Force Battlers seem to be selling a little bit better.

bobafrett
04-20-2005, 11:48 PM

I've noticed the same thing at my store, and on occasion as I bring out bikes to fill the bike rack, I will see some young kids with their parents looking through the figures. Sad news is, we still have a bunch of the figures up the high wall, same # 1 through #32, which will go onto those pegs. We sold out of the 12" line right away. I'm hoping the 2 female Jedi's come in. Also some of the small and Medium vehicles have been selling well.

tagmac
04-20-2005, 11:59 PM
I think a major reason for the concerns here is how many of us assumed Ephant Mon would be released very prevalently, being it was both highly sought after and a fan's choice figure. Instead, we got him as the only new figure in the case, at a time where stores were clogged with older product. Thus, online stores were the only place to go, if you didn't mind paying high prices. Figures like Mustafar Anakin, the Tank Gunner, Baccara, and the senators probably rank up there with the popularity of Ephant, and with the nature of these upcoming cases being unevenly packed, with 1-2 each of the new figures along with several repacks of 1-32, it seems like we're never gonna find anything right now.