PDA

View Full Version : Baseball in 2005 A.D.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Here we go, when all (read: any team but the Pirates :cry: ) clubs have a chance! Visit this thread in September (or maybe June... ), and we'll see if the same holds true.

The Pirates get shelled-shocked 19-4 to the Brewers in two games, at home, then lose to the Padres in extra innings 1-0, on a walk with the bags full. Oh boy.

Feel free to prop your favorite team, diss the rest, and be apathetic about anyone left over!

El Chuxter
04-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Let's just hope in 2005 they all have those cool flying skateboards like Daniel does in Transformers: The Movie. :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
04-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm a Mets fan. Over the offseason they shelled out alot of cash for players like Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran. Now that the season is here, they are 0-3 and have blown games in the 9th inning twice now I think. I know on opening day vs. the Reds, Pedro pitched well and had support from Beltran and Matsui offensively, only to give the game away by poor pitching in the late innings. Next 2 losses came just by terrible play, sorry fielding, and a lack of offense. I am hoping that somehow the tide will turn and things will get better. If nothing is changed and the poor bullpen performance continues, looks like its another losing season. Besides, what good is it to go out and get a pitcher like Pedro when you cannot close the door with good solid play by your bullpen and relief pitching? I'm very dissappointed.
The slogan going into this year was the "New Mets." If the first 3 games are any indication, its the Same Old Mets..... :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Maybe it's because they played the highly skilled and World Series bound Reds? ;)

See, when you think of it that way the sweep doesn't look so bad.

Of course, that's how I am looking at this, but I suspect my hopes for this season will be dashed by July.

JetsAndHeels
04-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Maybe it's because they played the highly skilled and World Series bound Reds? ;)

See, when you think of it that way the sweep doesn't look so bad.

If the Reds make it to the Series I will pull for em just for you JBF. :)

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 05:56 PM
That would be a good way of rewarding me for cheering Carolina to beat Illinois on Monday.

Now if those Redlegs can just survive Clemens tonight.

stillakid
04-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Baseball in 2005 A.D.

Linkman: The place is England. The year is 787.
Voice: A.D.?
Linkman: Of course it's A.D. You don't have to say it's A.D. I mean, they didn't have A.D. written on Letts Schoolboy's Diary, I mean no one is going to say on new years eve "Welcome to 1988 A.D." It's 787.
Voice: An aeroplane?
Linkman: No, it's not an aeroplane, it's 787, the year!
Voice: B.C. then?
Linkman: No, it's not likely to be B.C. anyway. Nothing happened in 787 B.C. Well, not in England. Ah, all right, in Egypt...
Voice: In Sumeria, then?
Linkman: ...in Sumeria, yes absolutely, but I didn't say "The place is Sumeria. The year is.." Hang on, hang on, wait, look, we gotta sort this out. This is background, it's important material, and it's new, it's a totally new link, they won't understand a word of it, you know, if you fade me out now. (fade)

:D Anyway, the Dodgers are pretty much brand new all round but they're not starting off all too shabby. Lotta games to go and maybe I'll even get to some of them...

JetsAndHeels
04-08-2005, 06:30 PM
That would be a good way of rewarding me for cheering Carolina to beat Illinois on Monday.

It was YOUR support that made UNC get that title. I am forever in your debt. lol

Kidhuman
04-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Yankees are gonna win it. See you in October.

Bobby Fett
04-08-2005, 09:40 PM

I don't even watch baseball until the All-Star break, and then just to see who'll be in the playoffs with the Yankees.

Slicker
04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Detroit Tigers all the way baby.

Wait. What? Oh, nevermind. I thought the title said 3005 A.D. My fault.:D

As I type right now will probably the only time they're .500 for the season.

stillakid
04-09-2005, 01:04 AM
D...amn. The Dodgers just pulled out an amazing comeback in the 9th with two outs.

JetsAndHeels
04-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Mets are now 0-4.
Glad to see all that money spent in the offseason is paying off.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Wow, after a week of baseball, every team has a win, and every team has a loss. No records set for perfection, or futility this year.

Maybe since Pitt is off to a weak start, instead of the average or strong ones of recent seasons, they'll have a good overall one. One can hope, eh? Arr. :Pirate:

The 'Xir
04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
You got that right BCJ!!! Go Buccos!!! :Pirate:

And hey, anyone in our SSG Fantasy League, can you please explain to me the scoring system! I've never seen one like that before and am thouroughly confused! :crazed:

It's head-to-head, but it's not! It's not rotisserie, and it's not total points! I figured out the individual game scoring by adding up the categories you beat your head-to-head opponent in, but we don't get a win for beating our h-2-h opponent, instead we get...??? :confused: Explain to me the standings and the W-L-T thing!

James Boba Fettfield
04-11-2005, 01:52 PM
10 categories, right?

For each category you win, you receive one win. For each category you lose, you receive one loss. For each category you tie, you receive one tie.

So in our case since we went against each other last week, you beat me in 5 of the 10 categories. So you received 5 wins. I beat you in 4 of the categories, so you received 4 losses. Then we both tied in 1 category, so we each received 1 tie.

So in your case Xir, your record is now 5 wins-4 losses-1 tie.

As far as I know you do not receive anything for winning more categories than I did. No bonus wins/points or anything like that.

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/baseball/brules/brules-07.html

Kidhuman
04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
JBF summed it up. Thats how it works.

CaptainSolo1138
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
I feel Detroit has a serious shot at winning their division. **A hush falls over the thread. Crickets can be heard in the distance.**No, I'm being serious!

Kidhuman
04-11-2005, 02:53 PM
As long as the Tigers pitching holds up they can contend.

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Mets need relief pitching bad. Good example of this was opening day vs. the Reds, when Pedro pitched a pretty solid game, had some pretty good run support, only to have the bullpen blow the game in the late innings.

JON9000
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
The Empire Strikes Back!

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2005, 03:38 PM
3-1 Mets going into the 7th!!
I am keeping my fingers crossed....

hestep99
04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
JF96 are you a Mets fan too? I thought I was the only one.

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2005, 09:20 PM
JF96 are you a Mets fan too? I thought I was the only one.

Do not worry, I am also a Mets fan.
We can suffer together.

The 'Xir
04-11-2005, 09:57 PM
So in your case Xir, your record is now 5 wins-4 losses-1 tie.http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/baseball/brules/brules-07.html

Huh, 'that's funny 'cause I thought I counted everything up and only had 3 losses, and in part why I was confused, I'll have to go back and check. However, as I said I had figured out that that's where the overall score of me 5 JBF 4 came from!

ThanX though! :classic:

The 'Xir
04-11-2005, 10:00 PM
The Empire Strikes Back!

Not today they didn't mesa thinks! 8 - 1 Sox!!! :eek: eeesh!

Eh! It's AL, they all suck anyways! ;) Go Buccs! :Pirate:

hestep99
04-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Maybe we'll luck out within the next couple of years. We had a good run in 2000 but shew we've had some stinkers since 1990. Last year was no exception. It'll be terrible when we finish last in the division again with the 3rd highest payroll in baseball (I think). Anyways, I'm glad to hear your a fan. If they ever win again nobody can say we jumped on the wagon. We've suffered, and now we're due.

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Hestep, I root for the underdog teams. I used to be a Braves fan back in the late 80's. Dale Murphy was one of my all-time favorite players. When they traded him away, and Atlanta began their winning ways I kind of jumped off the bandwagon. Too many things changed there. Not saying it was bad, I just hated to see Murphy go.
In 1998 I took a trip to NYC and toured the city for the first time. Since then I have gone back several times and for some reason I just developed a liking for the Mets. People ask me why I did not choose the Yankees...well the reason is what I said before-I like the underdog. That is also why I am a Jets fan. They have not won or even appeared in a Super Bowl since 1968 but thats ok by me, I will root them on anyway until it happens again someday.

But you are right, whenever the Mets turn things around and start to win whether it is this year, next year or ten years from now nobody can say we are bandwagon fans. I do like the additions of Beltran and Pedro Martinez and even the new manager Willie Randolph over this past offseason. I think with some bullpen and relief pitching help this team could be in for some real improvement.

hestep99
04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Hestep, I root for the underdog teams. I used to be a Braves fan back in the late 80's. Dale Murphy was one of my all-time favorite players. When they traded him away, and Atlanta began their winning ways I kind of jumped off the bandwagon. Too many things changed there. Not saying it was bad, I just hated to see Murphy go.
In 1998 I took a trip to NYC and toured the city for the first time. Since then I have gone back several times and for some reason I just developed a liking for the Mets. People ask me why I did not choose the Yankees...well the reason is what I said before-I like the underdog. That is also why I am a Jets fan. They have not won or even appeared in a Super Bowl since 1968 but thats ok by me, I will root them on anyway until it happens again someday.

But you are right, whenever the Mets turn things around and start to win whether it is this year, next year or ten years from now nobody can say we are bandwagon fans. I do like the additions of Beltran and Pedro Martinez and even the new manager Willie Randolph over this past offseason. I think with some bullpen and relief pitching help this team could be in for some real improvement.

Yeah if we can get the egos to make sacrifices and play some ball. Beltran is gonna be great. I just hope Pedro has a few good years left in him. He's looked great so far. Glavin should have a couple of good years. The young kid Reyes is gonna be special, hopefully we don't trade him. Randolph is gonna be a chump or a champ. I'm pulling for him he has made bold moves which I like cause we've been stagnant. But it's early, we finally got on the board with one win the rest is gonna follow. You hit the nail right on the head, we need the bullpen to step up and hold some leads for us. If they do, it could be a nice season.

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Hestep, Randolph really managed a good game today. He had his players run the bases aggressively, but also smart. He knew when Glavine had had enough, and pulled him out of the game. A sign of a smart manager.
Only concern I have offensively is Piazza. He has yet to show any strong hitting and I am afraid if he stays in a slump it could be a weak spot in the lineup. However it is early, he has time to improve.
Despite the 2-5 start, I feel alot more comfortable with Randolph at the helm than I did with Art Howe. I think things are going to be better. Not saying we are going to win the pennant or even the division, but the rebuilding has begun.
Feel free to hit me up on AIM anytime to talk about the Mets.

Kidhuman
04-12-2005, 10:02 AM
M.E.T.S. = My Entire team Sucks.... :beard:

Kidhuman
04-14-2005, 11:08 PM
How horrid was that Yankees/Sox incident. That dude is lucky SHeff didnt bust his arse. I cant believe that dude wasnt arrested.