PDA

View Full Version : Nascar grumbles

hestep99
04-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm sick of watching this crap. I'm a junior fan but this guy has no heart. His fame and money came to easy so he's not hungry. That's why these other drivers eat him up every sunday. Anyways the (38,88) cars look pretty good. Peace.

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Nah, it's 48 looking the best. :D

Junior, things are looking up for him. He had that string of bad races after Daytona, but he looked and finished strong at Bristol.

88 is looking better than I expected . . . plus he's gonna race THE truck. ;)

Mercy on us Nascar fans. :nerv:

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Wow, I have literally no idea what you guys are talking about. I mean, I know what NASCAR is, but that's about it.

LTBasker
04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
They're car numbers, JT. #38 I think is the M&M car, Ken Schrader? And #88 is Dale Jarret's UPS car. Don't remember #48. Junior is #8 Dale Earnhardt Junior.

I think Jarret and some other guy are going to be racing Star Wars cars this year?

As for (#24 Jeff) Gordon, well many SW fans should recognize him. He's a little brat but he did race the beautiful TPM car in '99.

El Chuxter
04-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I thought the only real grumble in NASCAR occurred when someone spills his (or her) beer. :)

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I thought the only real grumble in NASCAR occurred when someone spills his (or her) beer. :)

We are a very clean people.

48 is Jimmie Johnson, a teammate of Jeff Gordon's. 38 is the M&M car, but its now driven by Elliott Sadler.

SW cars I believe are going to be for Sadler, Jeff Gordon, Jarrett, and Kyle Busch.

Yeah, here it is the news from sw: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/promo/news20050404.html

LTBasker
04-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the correction, I thought someone took over the M&M car but couldn't really remember.

That bites about the new cars, I don't want to have to buy more Jeff Gordon stuff, it's hard enough explaining my Episode 1 car shrine. :p

hestep99
04-08-2005, 09:17 PM

Nah that's a grumble in any setting, nascar or not. Haha!!

JediTricks
04-08-2005, 09:42 PM
They're car numbers, JT. #38 I think is the M&M car, Ken Schrader? And #88 is Dale Jarret's UPS car. Don't remember #48. Junior is #8 Dale Earnhardt Junior.I knew they were numbers, didn't realize Jr was *that* Jr though. I figured this all somehow tied into the SW racing thing, but didn't know exactly how.

As for (#24 Jeff) Gordon, well many SW fans should recognize him. He's a little brat but he did race the beautiful TPM car in '99.If my memory serves correctly, didn't he race it right into a wall, ending its career in 1 race?

2-1B
04-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Mix in a right hand turn once in awhile and I might respect your "sport."

LTBasker
04-08-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't remember but I wouldn't put it past him. When you said you literally didn't know what they were talking about I assumed you were completely lost on it. :p

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Mix in a right hand turn once in awhile and I might respect your "sport."

Being successful is more than just the driver making left turns. Ask Kenseth's Killer Bees or any other successful pit crew. Races are won in the pits and guys like the Killer Bees show why skill and being at a physical best are important to this sport, just like any other sport. Or the brains of the guys who design and build those cars so they perform well. It's about teamwork and combines all the same stuff as any other sport, even if audiences don't get to observe it on race day.

And they do have right turns, like Infineon or Watkins Glen.

Why many people think this is not considered a sport and it is just a guy sitting in a car and that's it :confused: . . . baffles me.

Slicker
04-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Or the brains of the guys who design and build those cars so they perform well.What I don't get is how any of these cars can race differently when they're all made to the exact same specifications and almost any deviation from that will land you a penalty.:confused:

Why many people think this is not considered a sport it is just a guy sitting in a car and that's it :confused: . . . baffles me.Don't forget though, they also consider Women's Golf a sport too.;)

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 11:49 PM
:D Good point on the golf, Slicker. ;)

Just to clear up what I said earlier, I am not saying you all have to like Nascar or find it interesting or whatever, but don't fault it because you don't recognize why it is a sport.

2-1B
04-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Women's basketball is a sport, too. :D

Hey Jaymz I never said it wasn't a sport because they just sit in a car, just don't lump me in with that crowd. :crazed:

Slicker
04-08-2005, 11:53 PM
I give 'em respect because to be honest I can't do it but even die hards have to admit that at some point it gets boring watching a race unless the monotinous circular motion gets broken by an accident here and there.

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm sorry, Caesar. :kiss:

Can we all agree that the definition of sport should include something about needing to grow a :beard: ? If you can't grow one, don't even call yourself a sport.

EDIT-That is true, Slicker. I feel that way about hockey and fights. Or even sometimes with baseball. I miss Nolan Ryan for that. Headlock for you, Ventura! I shake my fist at the tv and yell for a fight.

The wrecks do add a certain danger to the race and can be satisfying to watch when it is a racer you dislike. A lot of times its the stuff that leads up to the wrecks that I like seeing, the bumping and hitting to get revenge or to get ahead of a stubborn and slower driver.

2-1B
04-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Slower driver ? They let the elderly on the Nascar circuit ? We have some of those around here, too. :crazed:

:kiss: to you, too, Jaymz. And an :Ogre: to show my manliness.

LTBasker
04-09-2005, 06:00 AM
And they do have right turns, like Infineon or Watkins Glen.

Those have a down side though- they go too dang slow! Have you tried one of those courses on one of the games? It's like trying to maneuver jello.

Gotta admit, I'm not into Nascar that much as I tend to get bored just watching them. It's different in-person though, I actually went to a car race (not Nascar though) and it was more exciting. Especially considering it was a dirt track and so we had to watch for flying dirt clumps/rocks. :p

It's rather humorous though because my mom and aunt are both into Nascar, but half-way into the race they're always sound asleep. :crazed:

Sometimes they have some really nice fly-overs though. I think one time they had F-117 Fighters.

hestep99
04-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Let me quote Days of thunder "theres nothing stock about a stock car". Yes penalties are awarded for deviation from specification but nascar has to spend a tremdous amount of time and money in R&D to see what teams are doing differently to keep everything as fair as possilbe. First of all the major obvious difference is car makes. Although templates are almost the same across the board whether it be Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, Engines are vastly different. This will play into horsepower, fuel mileage etc. Not to metion teams can tweak various elements such as gear ratio, tire pressure, etc to play onto which track, weather condition, driver preference in anticipation of each track. Then we have camber & sway bars that can be adjusted to have the tire set on the track in differnt angles which can be adjusted during the race. This only minor crap I can think of off my head. Think about all the variables that goes into building a car and all these elements have potiental for being different and effecting preformance on the track. Nascar takes the major ideas and tries to boil them down into a package that can help keep things competitive for teams that don't have the funds. Anyways, I have one major complaint. Jimmie Johnson drives the 48 LOWES car and there is a track name LOWES motor speedway conviently. It's a real wonder why this guy wins every race at this track. He gets to practice as much as he wants there and doesn't have to burn any permitted tests. (Drivers are only get 7 tests dates, or something like that). That really fair, don't you think. Peace

LTBasker
04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Another thing about the cars is that they depend alot on aerodynamics with how the air flows over the car and under the car. If you've got shotty aerodynamics then you're not gonna get very fast. They're trying to reach the top speed possible but they also have to be safe about it.

hestep99
04-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Another thing about the cars is that they depend alot on aerodynamics with how the air flows over the car and under the car. If you've got shotty aerodynamics then you're not gonna get very fast. They're trying to reach the top speed possible but they also have to be safe about it.

Exactly LTB this seperates out teams that have money for R&D and those that don't. Superspeedway tracks are almost always won by multi car teams such as Roush racing who backs the 6, 16, 17, 97, 99 where as a short tracks "can" have winners with less funds.

Tonysmo
04-10-2005, 02:59 AM
1st off, enough of the #24 bashing. There wasnt much, but any is too much.. cause he is a winner! :crazed:

Nascar is indeed a sport. I practice my skills on the hwy all the time. One day Ill be on that circuit. 190 miles an hour 5 inches from the next car.. oh yeah. :crazed:

Whatever happened to Buckshot Jones? lol. the 00 car just couldnt hang.

There is alot of other drama to consider whan enjoying the race. Short track races are very fun. who gets ****ed at who, who spins out who.,
which pit crew driver flys over what car..

who will Spencer knock out this week?

what reporter will feel the wraith of Stewert?

Will Rusty blow yet another engine?

What man will Kurt Busch kiss this week? :kiss: ( ouch - that was just mean ) :crazed:

When WILL Dale race that truck??

Yep, I enjoy NASCAR. good times good times. Ive been to the brickyard a few times now. nothing like being there in person.

I like the new pt system as well, keeps the guys racing to the end.

as for Jr not winning.. pfft. maybe he needs waltrip to hold everyone off a bit better. ;)

hestep99
04-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Yep, I enjoy NASCAR. good times good times. Ive been to the brickyard a few times now. nothing like being there in person.

I like the new pt system as well, keeps the guys racing to the end.

You need to go to Bristol. Best track to watch in person.

Tonysmo
04-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Did I mention the #24 car and Jeff Gordon as a WINNER!! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

DOH! 4 laps down. comes back to win. :eek:

King of the short track? hmmm.

Id love to go to bristol. Just havent made it there yet. maybe someday.

Slicker
04-11-2005, 02:36 AM
I also forgot, Women's Tennis is considered a sport too.:p

hestep99
04-11-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm on the ticket holder list, and get 8 spring/ 8 fall tickets every race. If you ever want to go look me up and I can sell you a few.

CaptainSolo1138
04-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks :D :D Sorry, I had to do it. While I don't particularly enjoy NASCAR, it IS a good excuse to drink on a Sunday!

JediTricks
04-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Real men don't need an excuse to drink on Sunday! ;)

hestep99
04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks :D :D Sorry, I had to do it. While I don't particularly enjoy NASCAR, it IS a good excuse to drink on a Sunday!

That's just mean, but understandable. Not all fans are of the redneck behaviors. Some are bad thou.

Tonysmo
04-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks, Hestep, I just might do that.

Slick, you try to run 500 miles at 190 MPH 3 inches away from two other cars.. :sur:

as for NASCAR fans being rednecks. well, Im not a redneck, but I do sometimes support the Mullet cause, and I fit right in at the races. :crazed:

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Slick, you try to run 500 miles at 190 MPH 3 inches away from two other cars.. :sur:

From what he tells me, this sounds like every day in Virginia Beach for him. :crazed:

As for the redneck comment, I meant no offense. Just having fun. :p

hestep99
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
From what he tells me, this sounds like every day in Virginia Beach for him. :crazed:

As for the redneck comment, I meant no offense. Just having fun. :p

None taken Solo, we're all kidders...lol

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2005, 09:43 PM
None taken Solo, we're all kidders...lol
Except for you. I meant it in your case. ;)

hestep99
04-13-2005, 07:30 PM
haha lol, you need to get a look at my t-shirt tan

Tonysmo
05-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Sundays Race was pretty awesome.
Jeff Gordon takes the win - AND takes it while driving the EIII car with Yoda on the hood. Great car to win with. Even stated the force was with him after the race.

WOOT! GO #24!