PDA

View Full Version : Saber colors...do they fade?

DahrJin
01-07-2002, 03:33 PM
I was dusting off my EP I figures this weekend and I noticed that the Maul figures sabers had lost most of the red coloring. They are almost clear, a pinkish color.

So what I would like to know, is what causes this? They are displayed in the basement, in a book shelf no where near a window or any type of sun light, so waht is it?

Were they always that color and I'm just used to the POTJ style now or are they fading? Could indirect, fluorescent lighting cause the fade?

I also noticed this on a Red Card Vader as well. Any info would be helpful on this.......:crazed:

Obi-Don
01-07-2002, 06:40 PM
I have always heard that fluroescent light can cause some fading. I have noticed only one or two lightsabers that faded. You might try using some Glass paint to recolor the blades.

Jayspawn
01-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Fading blades? AAHHH!

Darth Evil
01-08-2002, 01:17 PM
None of mine seem to have faded.

Jayspawn
01-09-2002, 01:30 AM
I think the only blade thats ever been known to fade is the Vader w/ removable helmet figure.

JEDIpartner
01-09-2002, 08:39 AM
None of mine have faded... yet. I did notice a colour difference between the Episode I line and the POTJ line. I never DID like the pinkish blades, even though- they really were kinda pinkish in the films.

DahrJin
01-09-2002, 09:35 AM
My R/H Vaders saber is still a nice red color. It's the EP I Mauls and other POTF Vaders that I noticed, had the pinkish colored sabers.

None of the POTJ seem to be fading or losing color, well not yet any how.

If you stand a EP I Maul next to a POTJ Maul, can you see a difference. I know there is a big difference in how Hasbro is doing sabers now, but to me the older ones just look too pink! That's why I was wondering if the colors fade or were they always that PINK? They really do look almost clear, not much color to speak of.

JEDIpartner
01-09-2002, 12:46 PM
The old sabers were always pink...

Lord Malakite
01-09-2002, 07:24 PM
All red sabers tend to fade, no matter which figure has it. It usually is caused by light exposure, both natural and artificial, in direct and indirect light. The only thing I know that prevents it is to store those figures in relatively dark areas, such as sealed boxes for storage or at the back of glass book cases out of the light for display. As far as I know all the other colors don't tend to fade.

GNT
01-09-2002, 09:59 PM
My Final Duel Maul has a faded lightsaber,he has a light pink lightsaber now :(

SithDroid
01-29-2002, 03:23 PM
My sabers are probably still the same color as when I got them. I don't really display my stuff because there is no room, so they stay in boxes. Sunlight will faded certain colors. The only way to keep it safe would be to buy that special glass like they use at Art Museums. That glass helps protect fading of the paintings and I'm sure it could work for figures. I know some collectors use that kind of glass for their movie posters also.

Taichi
04-20-2002, 10:34 AM
My Loose R/H Vader's saber faded almost clear......

then turned ORANGE!!!!

yes, my R/H Vader's saber is ORANGE!!!

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 12:43 AM
Mine never changed over years and years of being loose-displayed

DarthMaulSithLord
04-23-2002, 12:24 PM
The sabers on my Darth Vaders and -Maul's are all darkish red except the Removable Helmet Vader which is a bit pinkish, but it was like that when i bought it 4 years ago.

:)