PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: ROTS Gets PG-13!!

Beast
04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
No big suprise with all the spoilers featuring flying body parts, death, and emotional trauma. Still suprised the MPAA didn't just end up slapping it with a PG, with barely even watching the film. Can't wait for May 19th. :)

From Daily Herald:

‘Sith’ zapped with PG-13 rating]
Posted Saturday, April 09, 2005

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, all “Star Wars” movies received a PG rating.

Not anymore.

“Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith” has been given a PG-13 rating by the Motion Picture Association of America’s Classification and Ratings Administration.

“Revenge” has received the PG-13 for “sci-fi violence and some intense images.” (One could ask, on behalf of befuddled parents, exactly what “intense images” actually means. Mostly, it means the MPAA’s ratings explanations have gotten progressively muddled during the past few years.)

The new rating means “Revenge of the Sith” contains material that “may be inappropriate for children under 13.”

Director/writer George Lucas earlier hinted his movie would be the most intense of the six “Star Wars” chapters.

“It’s not like the old ‘Star Wars,’ ” Lucas told the Associated Press. “This one’s a bit more emotional.”

The previous five “Star Wars” films all received PG ratings. Lucas’ new, more emotional episode opens nationwide May 19.

— Dann Gire
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

moulman
04-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Not really suprising, we all knew this was coming

hango fett
04-09-2005, 11:04 PM
as soon as i heard lucas say that he won't cut back on it if it gets PG-13 on 60 minutes, i knew it would be. it has to be pretty bad (as in slice and dice type of stuff) to get this.
HF

moulman
04-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Cant really say if this rating means the movie will be better

darko666
04-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Cant really say if this rating means the movie will be better

true, but limbs will be going every where and thats all right with me. but i know a lot of scenes were cut out of the movie, so i hope the story doesn't get lost by over excessed violence and action.

Elliejabbapop
04-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Thank God. No kiddies.

Kidhuman
04-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Kids will still be abundant, I am taking my 2 to see it. All the stuff they see on TV today, it should be no different. I am glad for the rating, because i want all out violence. ANd it is what we are getting.

scruffziller
04-10-2005, 10:09 AM
It seems that Lucas was certainly listening to his fans.:)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Cool! I'm glad that it got this rating. If the others were all rated PG, but Darth Maul was cut in half and Jango was decapitated, this one must be really bad . . .

I bet the "intense images" part was about seeing charred Anakin without most of his parts. :eek:

Elliejabbapop
04-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Kids will still be abundant, I am taking my 2 to see it. All the stuff they see on TV today, it should be no different. I am glad for the rating, because i want all out violence. ANd it is what we are getting.

Damn these bloody parents! :frus:
The percentage of well behaved kids is so low these days, it's awful.
(Nothing personal kidhuman ;) )

General_Grievous
04-10-2005, 03:02 PM
I am looking forward to the unabundance of small children. It isn't the 6 and up crowd that bothers me, it's everything below it. When I went to see The Incredibles, 4 year olds were bouncing up and down in the aisles and the parents weren't doing anything about it. It's one thing when parents know how to control their kids, as I'm sure KH does, but if a parent's just gonna let a kid loose in the theater, they're better off leaving them at home.

Anyway, I'm pretty positive that the said "intense images" are the charred Anakin shots, for the most part.

Kidhuman
04-10-2005, 08:55 PM
It's one thing when parents know how to control their kids, as I'm sure KH does, but if a parent's just gonna let a kid loose in the theater, they're better off leaving them at home.

My kids know when anything SW is on TV,movies or anything they better be quiet. ;) And they like the movies as much as I do so they behave.

rust
04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
I wonder how many kids bought the toys, and were dissapointed they couldn't see it...

Anyways, WEE! Blood! Body parts! Violence! Emotional Scenes! What more can a guy ask for?

tagmac
04-10-2005, 09:36 PM
It's not the little kids that bother me, but the big "kids" who will start screaming and cheering in the middle of the movie, make dumb remarks during quiet scenes, laugh at every unintended double-entendre', applaud every time an OT character comes onscreen (expect the loudest applause this time around with Chewie and Vader making their "debuts.") Add that to these same idiots holding up their lightsabers in the middle of the movie, and suddenly those little kids, who are more likely to be mesmerized and glued to their seats in this movie, don't sound so bad.

That being said, I work in an elementary school, and the things the kids do, and worse yet - get away with! - is insane compared to how strict things were when we were growing up. The "experts" worry about discipline "harming children's self esteem" - funny, we all turned out pretty well, considering.

"And now the nerds congregate for the traditional 'banging of the plastic toys.......'" - Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

Jek Porky 2002
04-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Good call tagmac!

I was just wondering if this means that The British Board Of Film Classification will rate it 12A? Anyone?

I know that AOTC would have been rated 12 if they didn't cut out the Obi-Wan/Jango head but scene, so it does look likely that ROTS will get the 12A rating. (12A is really just a glorified PG that was invented in the summer of 2002 so that more people could go and watch Spider-Man)

General_Grievous
04-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Jek, I have a question. How come in England, they have to cut out head-butt scenes? Not only for AOTC, but I also read that they did it for Spider Man 2. Why is this?

Jek Porky 2002
04-12-2005, 07:55 AM
I really don't understand why to be completly honest, maybe it's because head-butting is an old english favorite with a select few morons, and they don't want to promote it, I really don't know!?

I didn't know they cut one from Spider-Man too! It's a shame because we are not getting the full movies.

Slicker
04-12-2005, 09:16 AM
I was doing a little searching around and one of the reasons I found why they cut the head butt scene was because children on playgrounds imitate scenes from movies they watch and they didn't want kids head butting each other. On another note they left several head butt scenes in LOTR because they said kids can instantly identify that LOTR is fantasy and not reality.

tagmac
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go shoot some webs out of my wrists, jump off a few 100-story buildings, and stop a train with my bare hands, just like in reality. ;)

Sith Lord 0498
04-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go shoot some webs out of my wrists, jump off a few 100-story buildings, and stop a train with my bare hands, just like in reality. ;)

Let me know when you're done with that, tagmac. I can use some backup with chasing down some guy from New Zealand that dresses up in armor and a rocketpack. Headbutted me in the rain, tried to blow me up around a bunch of rocks...oooh, he's a tough one, I tell ya. :p

DarthAngel
04-13-2005, 12:24 AM
I am looking forward to the unabundance of small children. It isn't the 6 and up crowd that bothers me, it's everything below it. When I went to see The Incredibles, 4 year olds were bouncing up and down in the aisles and the parents weren't doing anything about it. It's one thing when parents know how to control their kids, as I'm sure KH does, but if a parent's just gonna let a kid loose in the theater, they're better off leaving them at home.

Anyway, I'm pretty positive that the said "intense images" are the charred Anakin shots, for the most part.

Thats why I went and saw one of the later showings of Episode 1 and 2...a lot less kids, and the few that were there, I ignored them. But I am sure that even with the PG-13 rating, there will still be kids seeing the movie...late night showing here I come baby!