PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell (not scalp) my Target Lava Darth Vader?

Tycho
04-09-2005, 10:21 PM
$12.99 plus tax, works out to be almost $14.

I know that on e-Bay it's up to about $43 now. :rolleyes:

I'd sell it for what I paid for it.

I already have a buyer - my friend wants it really bad (even though he has some, or a damaged card one at least) already.

If I kept it, I was thinking about opening it. Honestly, I never wanted the thing, and now that I got one (went for it anyway because I was there on April 2nd, and thought "why not?") I'm thinking about opening it and making a display by 'fake lava' with it.

I'd rather have it loose if I kept it.

I don't want to get ripped off if I sell it for cost.

He is offering me Bariss and Shaak-Ti 12" for $15 each, instead of $20+ tax if I go along with this, plus Clone Commander and Red Palpatine at cost, so there's less I have to go out driving after.

What do you guys think?

WesleySr
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey Tycho, if you are going to open it, why not trade it with your friend for his damaged one.

Slicker
04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
I'd sell it at cost if someone really needs it Tycho. I was fortunate enough to pick up 2 of them and sold one to a forumite and the total after shipping came out to $17.56 and I actually felt good about helping someone out rather than ripping him off. I could've easily sold it for $100 as this was when they first were being posted on Ebay.

Obviously it's your figure so you'll do what you want regardless but you wanted opinions and I gave ya one.:D

moulman
04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Id sell it if ya dont really want it. The offer the guy put on the table is like you giving him a free figure and all he is giving you is a 10 dollar discount.

Scackmgack
04-09-2005, 11:23 PM
First of all, there is no such thing as "ripping someone off" via selling a figure. No one HAS to pay anything, therefore no one can be "ripped off." If they don't like the price, they don't have to buy it.

That being said, I would sell it...but not now. EBay is flooded with them. Give it six months to a year, and then contemplate selling it - though, depending on the value of a mint, unopened figure by then, you might want to keep it for yourself after all.

MaquisWarrior
04-10-2005, 12:17 AM
No don't sell it yet it's TOO EARLY at least wait until after July.

Kahuna: Kahuna say why you sell lava for ? You must be crazy, lava is very hot! Once Kahuna burn hand when he was little on lava.:cry: BIG MAMA made lots of coconut macademia cookies for Kahuna for being a brave boy while doctors fix Kahunas hand.:D Now I play Krikitiki (cricket) like Graham Gooch. Muholla if you can hear me!

Shaggy (the rapper):Sell Lava Vader to me! I'm Mister LAVA LUVA!!:crazed:

Shaggy (Scooby's bud): Like Lava makes me hungry . Hey Kahuna, got any of those cookies left?

LTBasker
04-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Just sell it if you want, it's not that big of a decision. If you really need one THAT badly later on they'll be available. At the rate the prices are dropping? Pfft. Besides, with the way you shop so early in the morning chances are even if they don't become very easily available, you'll be able to find something to trade.

The whole feeling ripped off thing? You can't really feel ripped off if you've helped out a collector with something you really didn't want in the first place. If you really want the diorama, keep it. But when you start third-guessing, fourth-guessing, etc. That means you've become obsessed with it's rarity. Seriously, it happens.

Tonysmo
04-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Id sell it, or just get rid of it. that goes for all of you. He's dangerous I tell you, they all see it, why cant you?

I left him in his package next to the Jedi younglings. I woke up and he had burned through his package, the younglings are dead, and he is missing. :crazed:

hestep99
04-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Yeah, Tycho
Only sell it if you're ok with it. Like you said it that much more you don't have to buy and you'd be helping out a collector in need. But the feeling of having two of something rare is sweet success as well as helping out a friend. Anyways, think it over, don't make any quick rash decisions haha. It also depends on how good a friend the friend is. Patience is virtuous. Crap I can't spell for anything.

Kidhuman
04-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Just GIVE it to me Tycho. Thats the bestdecision yet. :D :beard:

Darth Grifter
04-10-2005, 07:07 PM
i think the best advice is trade it for the damaged card one, open it and have one for you and a good carded one for your pal. i'm very against selling the figure outright becuase it's a great figure and this way you would still have one and your friend gets a nice carded figure!

MaquisWarrior
04-10-2005, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=Tonysmo]Id sell it, or just get rid of it. that goes for all of you. He's dangerous I tell you, they all see it, why cant you?

Dangerous to your starfleet, Commander. Not this battlestation!

bobafrett
04-10-2005, 09:35 PM
I really can't say one way or the other. After all, I got one from a fellow poster here at SSG. "You must do what you feel is right, of course."

MiamiTJ
04-11-2005, 01:08 AM
I was not able to get one and REALLY want one ... I'll send you $20 + shipping for it if you want ...

PM me ...

ndjedi
04-11-2005, 01:14 AM
I was not able to get one and REALLY want one ... I'll send you $20 + shipping for it if you want ...

PM me ...

There you go, you found a buyer for your Lava Vader! I was gonna say at least to hold onto it for sometime, you might have second toughts IF you do sell/trade it. It's up to you!!!! I was lucky to get two Lava Vaders last Saturday on 4/2.

Reefer Shark
04-11-2005, 01:31 AM
I would say:

If you really want a loose one for the Lava diorama idea - offer to trade to your buddy for his damaged one, but I would advise against the credit deal he offered you. At $10 credit, that's lower than retail price. Assuming you paid retail, you would be getting burned by that deal. Plus, it sounds like you're not sure if he has more than one already.

Is it possible he's trying to get extras at cost to try and scalp? I would look into that one, cause if that's the case, you should sell it to MiamiTJ here for cost + shipping, that would be the right thing to do IMO.

MiamiTJ
04-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Yes PLEASSEEEEEE sell to me :P

Do you need and red guards ?? Any Holo Yodas ???

How about old stuff .... I do have ALOT ...

Kidhuman
04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes PLEASSEEEEEE sell to me :P

Do you need and red guards ?? Any Holo Yodas ???

How about old stuff .... I do have ALOT ...

Tycho only needs army builders.

megaprime33
04-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I agree with what some have said, trade it for the damaged card one, open it, and then display it with the fake lava set like you said. That would be really cool. Or you could do something completely different and just give it to me :D

Tycho
04-11-2005, 01:11 PM
OK, here's the deal, possibly going down tonight:

He will pay me

$14 (cost) for Lava Vader
$12.98 off 12" Bariss and 12" Shaak-Ti (or sell them to me for $15 each)

I am buying from him:

$11 - 2 Clone Commanders
$11 - I owe him for a Clone Commander and Red Palpatine
$5.50 1 red Palpatine w. blue saber
$15 for 12" Bariss
$15 for 12" Shaak-Ti
$11 for 2 AT-TE Drivers
-------------------------
$68.50

where I would have spent $81.48

So I'm actually getting $26.98 for the Lava Vader, plus you could argue "at least $5.00 in gas saved, for 2 less days of driving looking for some of this stuff - or 31.98 -from a certain point of view.

It's 10 miles to Walmart from me, so at 20mi/gallon (if I get that in a v-8 Grand Cherokee), it's about $2.50 (with current gas prices) per round trip.

It would take 2 or more round trips to Wal-Mart to get that stuff, and several Targets are each 10 miles from me, along with another 2 Wal-Marts, so I think the gas savings is at least that.

I think it's shaped up to be a good deal...I could even be saving $10 on gas.... who knows?

jedi-cpa
04-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I'll repeat this...

There are FIFTY THOUSAND of these!!!

Who is spending $30 on something that once the second wave of them come there will be more than enough. Target is notorious for this, they did it with the cups and the clone wars figs...first wave hits, sells out...scalpers get crazy prices...then they hit the shelves a second time and they can't give em away...

I'm waiting.

DarthChuckMc
04-12-2005, 02:53 AM
There will be NO SECOND WAVE.....there are less than 1,200 ON HAND in TARGET's Inventory as of today....with ZERO on withdraw to any stores.

I would *guess* that those almost 1,200 are being held for TARGET.com orders that have been placed, or will soon be listed.

The Figures with Cups on the other hand, should be showing up soon.

One slight problem with them.....they weren't ringing up at the registers at some stores, so the cashiers entered *999999* and keyed in the $9.99 price. This creates a problem, because the DPCI 087-06-0937 isn't being "SOLD" through the register, so those stores that received 6 or more, STILL show an ON HAND count of 6 or more.

IF the actual DPCI 087-06-0937 was keyed at the register, or IF they actually scanned at your local store, then more will be refreshed soon.

The rest of the stores may be out of luck for a while....at least until the TOYS TEAM LEAD does *Research*, and catches the mistake, and corrects his/her counts.

Tycho
04-12-2005, 11:58 AM
What does DCPI stand for?

I always thought it was meant to help someone who needed a:

Dumb Clueless Person Identifier

I'm not sure if that's an insult to the customers or employees?

plasticfetish
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
OK, here's the deal, possibly going down tonightThat sounds like a fine deal. If I had gotten one of those things I'd be looking to trade it for something also... silly figure. You're coming out ahead, but YOU were the one up at whateverthehell A.M., and I'm sure it's going to a good home, so...

You didn't need our input on this did you? ;)

Tycho
04-12-2005, 04:12 PM
3pm April 1st - set up camp at Toys R Us

12 midnight April 2nd, used my $1 off every figure coupon from Target AT TOYS R US because our manager was cool and honored it. Saved almost $150.

2am April 2nd, TRU raffled off their 12 Holo Yodas. Didn't win, but stayed for the fun.

2:30am went out to breakfast with most of my friends from the TRU line. The usual suspects on my collecting team, plus several new friends.

3:30am - went to camp out at Target for their 8am opening. Slept in my truck in the parking lot (if you want to call it sleeping. It was more like dozing in and out of sleep, waking up to make Obi-Wan Kenobi Slashing Attack take on 4-Lightsaber Attack General Grievous, and then going back to a restless sleep the best that I could).

8am - got my Vader along with the only time I found Clone Pilots, Clone Commanders, Red Palpatine (blue Saber) etc. in the store. I missed the Exploding Grievous, but he was there and some girl got him. (I've found him since, later).

So yeah, I'd say I earned my Target Lava Vader....

DarthChuckMc
04-12-2005, 04:32 PM
DPCI

DePartment
Class
Item

Department - 087 - Boys
Class - 06 - Action Figure
Item - 0311 - Lava Reflection Darth Vader

Most Star Wars toys (hell, almost ALL figures) begin with 087-06. The last 4 digits reflect the individual ITEM.

There is your TARGET retail lesson of the day. :)

Fwad
04-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Don't you all wish you had this one of a kind varient?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=101609&item=5969977181&rd=1

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Here we go again. Is anyone ever gonna learn. It is so easy to make one of these, it isn't funny. These Vader's are just sealed with something similar to packaging tape. Wow, maybe I should either take the insert or the figure out of mine and slap it on ebay too. Make enough to put my kids through college. :greedy: Maybe I will take the tape of the back of my holo Yodas and slap them on ebay too and buy me a new house. :greedy:

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 04:16 PM
This is what I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5967301387&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5969296910&rd=1

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Fwad
04-18-2005, 08:00 PM
There is no way anyone would open these figures and alter them to try to make a quick dollar.

megaprime33
04-18-2005, 08:06 PM
I would really like to get a lava vader but there is no chance in hell that I'm going to pay those outrageous prices on ebay for one. The chance ever comes for me to get one, and the price is right, then perhaps I'll jump at it. But until then, i'll leave the ebay ones to the fools.

Sith Lord 0498
04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
There is no way anyone would open these figures and alter them to try to make a quick dollar.

I hate to be blunt, but here's the cold, hard truth: if there's even one single idiot out there who'd fall for it, then there's at least a hundred idiots willing to pull that scam.

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 09:09 PM

Yeah right. And if you believe that, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

The Vader without the insert is easy. I just tried mine and was able to remove the insert with touching the tape.

All you need to make the Yoda with no tape is a hair dryer or some Goo Gone.

Removing the Vader would be a little more difficult. It would require either replacing the tape or carefully removing it. Only thing about removing the tape and trying to reuse it would be that you would have to have something on your hands or else the tape would pick up your fingerprints.

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I hate to be blunt, but here's the cold, hard truth: if there's even one single idiot out there who'd fall for it, then there's at least a hundred idiots willing to pull that scam.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

MaquisWarrior
04-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Actually sadly that is not a scam because in a way Hasbeen and Targutted pulled the same damn thing.
Exec#1: I got it let's paint the Vader figure everyone has red and sell it at Target!
Exec#2: Let's sell the empty box mail away at Wal Mart along with a useless poster, a suscription to Bantha Poodoo (the original title, I mean, Bantha Tracks) and a credit card size to carry around in their wallet to try and get out of speeding ticket plus have www.walmart.com send an e-mail telling the dumb animal who got this that "their gift" of figures you already have, unless you were born in 1985 and up or saw them here or Sam's Club back in Christmas 1999 but couldn't decide to buy them or not are coming in the mail but you must first mail the certificate which will worth more than all of this together.

"This would be funnier if it wasn't true" www.fairenough.com (no there's no SW info there)