PDA

View Full Version : Action Features ranging intrusive to integrated

JediTricks
04-10-2005, 07:49 PM
At this point, I have 25 ROTS figures including the preview figs, and over 1/3rd of those have action features, specifically:

#1 Obi-Wan Slashing Attack
#2 Anakin Lightsaber Attack
#6 Clone Trooper Quick-Draw
#7 R2-D2 Droid Attack
#8 Grievous' Bodyguard Battle Attack
#9 General Grievous 4 Lightsaber Attack
#11 Darth Vader Lightsaber Attack
#12 Palpatine Firing Force Lightning
#27 Obi-Wan Jedi Kick
#28 Anakin Slashing Attack

What I've noticed is that Hasbro doesn't seem to have 1 central mindset on designing these figures' action features, the same feature may even appear on several different figures but each one impliments it differently and has its sculpting and articulation impacted in dfferent ways.

Obi-Wan #1 and Anakin #2 have the exact same action as each other even though they're called different things, and use the same exact articulation and sculpting styles to do it: squeeze the right leg inward and the upper body twists at the waist to its left, let go and it whips back to original position, and the right arm's shoulder and elbow are loose to whip around in both motions. Both figures have extra low crotch sections to accomodate the action feature lever in the right hip, both figures have their bodies' outfits sculpted to accomodate the right arm's path, both figures' right AND left arms have universal joints at the shoulders and elbows, both figures' right and left elbows have really ugly sculpting at the joint, both figures' have loose hinges in their right arms' universal joints at the shoulder and elbow but normal tight rotation points on those same joints, and both figures have articulated hips even though there's a gimmick in play and waists via geared ratcheting as part of the gimmick.

#6 Clone Trooper and # 8 Grievous' Bodyguard have a similar type of gimmick, squeeze their right leg inward and one or both of their shoulders move, respectively - on the Clone Trooper, his right arm moves upwards, hwile on the Bodyguard 1 arm moves up while the other moves down. Neither of these figures have waist articulation. However, #11 Darth Vader has an arm gimmick where his arm rotates at the bicep via the same 'squeeze leg' action yet not only does he have waist articulation, but unlike Obi-Wan and Anakin (and most Saga figures with a gimmick arm), Vader's waist articulation uses the gearing to allow natural full range rotation of the waist without ratcheting.

Even more interestingly, #28 Anakin has exactly the same gimmick as the #6 Clone Trooper - squeeze leg and arm raises - yet this Anakin figure not only has waist articulation, but even uses the same smooth-movement style that #11 Vader's waist has so you aren't stuck having to choose between only what the ratchet allows.

Oddly, both #1 Obi-Wan and #2 Anakin have fully-articulated arms with universal jointed shoulders and elbows, yet #27 Obi-Wan and #28 Anakin have non-matching arms, with 27 Obi-Wan sporting uni-jointed shoulders and rotating lower biceps, and 28 Anakin sporting uni-jointed shoulders and a uni-jointed right elbow while the left one is a rotating lower bicep; and both 27 and 28 have preposed non-gimmick arms for some reason.

The Clone Trooper and 28 Anakin integrate their action features very well - except for the lack of a waist on the Clone which doesn't make sense since Anakin has a totally working waist - they're well-articulated and don't look oddball because of their gimmicks. The Bodyguard figure and Grievous himself have fairly well-integrated gimmicks too, but both seem a little hindered by their gimmicks even though technically they aren't. Vader has a little gapping problem at his bicep and his elbows are preposed but he's not too bad off because of his feature either. Palpatine has a hole in his robe's sleeve and dopey-looking Force lightning accessories, so his action feature isn't as well integrated, but it's not terribly intrusive either. #1 Obi-Wan and #2 Anakin aren't exactly limited by their gimmicks, but there are few too many little intrusive bits which adds up. That leaves poor #7 R2-D2, who is completely mangled by his action feature, his dome has a little cut-out hole at the top and slight gappage but that could easily be overlooked - especially since he can still rotate his dome - the real problem is that the 3rd leg is not only permanent, but it sticks out extra far for the gimmick to work making this incredibly intrusive.

Finally, some of the figures' action features aren't explained on the cardbacks well enough, why does R2 come with that weird seesaw base, why does it have shallow footpegs too wide for R2 at one end? And #27 Jedi Kick Obi-Wan's card really doesn't explain anything very well, it was trial-and-error finding out that the boot doesn't rotate, only the hip; and I still don't know why his base with the extra tall footpeg (to activate the gimmick) has the part he stands on slide out slightly.

All in all, I'd say they did a better job with this line than with Saga's first outings, but they still have some schools of thought to deal with before they can really expect these to be up to snuff with non-gimmicked Star Wars figures.

LTBasker
04-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, so far I only have twoe figures that use the gimmicks. Clone Trooper and Grievous (regular).

Even with the gimmicks they're still very fun, if these had been done during the Saga line it's likely Grievous wouldn't be able to move at all and the Clone would be more like the Saga/CW Speederbike Clone gimmick. It's too bad they didn't think this well about the gimmicks last time, it might've really helped alot of the sales.

jjreason
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I must say that I'm a lot more "okay" with the action figures on the ROTS figures at this point than I was with the Saga ones. Generally speaking, it's the display factor that makes me decide one way or the other - if I hate looking at the figure because of the ugliness of the action feature, I don't rate the figure very highly. Only poor R2 falls into this category so far, though I'm pretty close to not loving Spinning Yoda (if it weren't for the comedy the thing actually provides, I think I would dislike the figure :D ).

Tough thing, these action features. I think I'd rather have a figure with an action feature and some posability than a beautifully sculpted, but unposeable "collection 2" style figure (imagine Saga Luminara).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah, based on these new action features I actually wouldn't mind getting more like these. Just so long as there's no buttons anywhere on them. They're done (for the most part) very nicely this time around.

JediTricks
04-17-2005, 05:37 PM
I got Palpatine #35, and his action gimmick sucks on both levels, it uglifies the figure in several different ways AND it's super lame. The figure is a salt-shaker with facade feet at the bottom, push down on the figure and the feet push into the body causing the right arm to slightly move upwards, it's miserable.

darko666
04-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Tough thing, these action features. I think I'd rather have a figure with an action feature and some posability than a beautifully sculpted, but unposeable "collection 2" style figure.

i wouldn't mind if the figure is posable, but i don't like the action feature at all. i usaually just open a figure and set them up in a cool looking position. i haven't opened any of the new figures, so i don't know if they pose well, since they have action features. but i enjoyed the saga 2003/04 figures.
i thought they were the best Hasbro offered. but the some of the ROTS figures do look good. but not all of them.

beckmen
04-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I think that Palpy figure will be a decent fig to buy if I find him on clearance in time. Or maybe buy one and try and customize it? Or not.

WesleySr
04-19-2005, 03:39 AM
I guess I will chime in here too. I have to agree on the statements about the action features. They are nowhere near as bad as they use to be. We can all remember the Saga '03 #02 Mace Windu (Arena Confrontation). You remember, the one with the big pole sticking out his back. Sure it gave you total control of the lightsaber, but you had to put him in the back of your display with his back towards the wall. :(

So, I think the action features have become alot better, and alot less notable (with the exception of the new Deluxe Obi-Wan).

plasticfetish
04-19-2005, 05:53 AM
The figure is a salt-shaker with facade feet at the bottom, push down on the figure and the feet push into the body causing the right arm to slightly move upwards, it's miserable.Aww, shoot... I didn't know that... I didn't know that figure had a gimmick. :ermm:

In general, I'd say that I'm not hating the action features this time around either. I'm not exactly in love with them, but it seems that Hasbro has put some decent effort into improving on past failures and they've tried to up the "play value" for most of these. In some cases I'm not exactly sure why they choose to give certain figures gimmicks. I don't know why we needed two Obi-Wan or two Anakin figures in the first 35 with action features. Would have rather had a decent collection 2 version of each instead.

To Hasbro's credit, these may be the first figures like this that my son actually plays with.

Devo
04-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Aww, shoot... I didn't know that... I didn't know that figure had a gimmick. :ermm:

Neither did I. In the poster it looks like a good detailed non-kiddie figure in the vein of Episode I and II palpy's. Unfortunately this one is more like a Happy meal toy. Disappointing in every respect. Its not very poseable and it looks like a lesser figure on the shelf.

WesleySr
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't know why we needed two Obi-Wan or two Anakin figures in the first 35 with action features. Would have rather had a decent collection 2 version of each instead.

I agree. I would have rather had 2 nice collection 2 versions of Anakin & Obi-Wan with soft goods.

beckmen
04-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Well, the first Obi/Ani figs were pretty crappy (I won't even buy the Obi one) and the second versions were OK, so I am glad. Otherwise I'd have horrible versions of these characters.

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Saga pulled the same stunt, we never really got decent Ep 2 "normal Jedi" versions of Obi-Wan or Anakin in the span of 3 years, the closest was Secret Ceremony Anakin with his windy cape and robo-arm.

As for Palps #35 there, I found out about the gimmick only a few days before finding him, so I was still in a mood to find-n-buy since I felt the other version of Chancellor Palpatine in this line was fairly lacking... turns out I should have thought twice.

beckmen
04-20-2005, 02:16 AM
I haven't seen the 35 Palpy yet, but he doesn't seem that horrible to me. Good for display, no? Unless there isn't waist articulation...that blows it for me...

Devo
04-20-2005, 09:26 AM
I haven't seen the 35 Palpy yet, but he doesn't seem that horrible to me. Good for display, no? Unless there isn't waist articulation...that blows it for me...

The only articulation is a rotating head, shoulder, and poorly placed 'elbow' joints. The body and legs are all one piece and completely solid. There isn't even any moveability to the outer robes, they might as well be sculpted on...actually now I'm wondering if they in fact are...

Basically I suggest you wait for a better version of Palpy in this outfit.

Saga pulled the same stunt, we never really got decent Ep 2 "normal Jedi" versions of Obi-Wan or Anakin in the span of 3 years, the closest was Secret Ceremony Anakin with his windy cape and robo-arm.

Again I maintain Secret ceremony Anakin was only slightly better than peasant disguise Anakin. The best was the jedi kick Tatooine version. SC Anakin could achieve neither a good neutral pose nor a good action pose because of the awkward looking ankle articulation and the position of the legs. The head sculpt was weak and the cape was overly billowed and bulky. And maybe it was just the one I got (which I since destroyed in a botched custom) but the paintjob was the worst I've seen on a Star wars figure. IMO this figure received undue praise on its release (if memory serves), which I just cannot understand because to me it got nothing right.

sith_killer_99
04-20-2005, 10:09 AM
I still loath action features!!! :Pirate:

Hasbro turned half their ROTS line into junk with this garbage IMO.

Sure I bought one of each for my carded collection. But I also buy figures for my loose collection. On one hand Hasbro gave us these top notch figures with a nice blend og plastic and cloth bookoo articulation and great sculpts. Then they turn arond and stick it to us by failing to give us a non-action feature Obi-Wan and Anakin. Mace ticked me off too. I mean look at the way they did these, we have all these great Jedi characters with soft goods, articulation and no gimmicks. Then they stick us with a low quality gimmick Mace Windu and 2 gimmick Obi-Wans and Anakins. The least they could have done was give these characters the same treatment as all the other Jedi!!!

Very disappointing! :mad:

I have a few of these gimmick figures, one I bought by mistake without realizing it was an action feature hunk of garbage.

Grevious's Bodyguard
Clone Trooper (Quickie Draw)
Palpatine #35

None of them impress me very much. These are probably the only action feature figure I will have in my loose collection, and they may not last long.

It seems Hasbro went to 2 extremes with their ROTS line, Collection 2 which rocks and gives most collectors everything they want and Collection 1 which makes me sick to my stomach every time I put good money down.

What in the world possessed Hasbro to think action feature gimmicks should be incorporated into the ROTS line...especially after the SAGS fiasco? :confused:

If Hasbro wanted to do it right they would have scraped the Collection 1 gimmick figures and replaced them with Army Builders! This is certainly the movie for it! I guarantee Hasbro would be scrambling to fill orders for the first waves of Collection 1, and every wave after that! It's simple....Army Builders never peg warm for long! That should be their market! Kids love 'em, collectors REALLY love 'em and they can keep cranking out the same figure because it will sell, over and over and over again. Tell me Hasbro couldn't come up with 23 Army Builder figures to fill all of Collection 1!

Devo
04-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, the first Obi/Ani figs were pretty crappy (I won't even buy the Obi one) and the second versions were OK, so I am glad. Otherwise I'd have horrible versions of these characters.

I bought Obi wan #1 and Anakin #2 because its almost certain that better versions of these will be a long way away if the AOTC line is anything to go by. Actually I found them to be not quite as bad out of the boxes as I thought they looked in pics. Apart from the silly looking elbow articulation they're pretty decent in appearance and the capability of double handed lightsaber grip is welcome (though hopefully it'll be carried off with aesthetically unintrusive articulation in the future). I have the second Obi-wan which has an equally futile action feature that makes the legs look stupid and prevents him from being able to stand. And this one can't hold a lightsaber in two hands either. The first one is the better one IMO.

LusiferSam
04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
So what are other people opinions of #11 Vader action features? This is one of the few ROTS figures I've thought about buying, but haven't because of the action features. I really hated most of the Saga action features and don't want to get burned buying a figure I'm going to hate.

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 10:41 PM
I haven't seen the 35 Palpy yet, but he doesn't seem that horrible to me. Good for display, no? Unless there isn't waist articulation...that blows it for me...No waist, so no waist articulation. The figure is ok for display unless you have a good view of the feet because they don't have ankles, just a red stick in the middle for the gimmick. The fig also kinda stinks because he's constantly gazing upwards, both heads.

The only articulation is a rotating head, shoulder, and poorly placed 'elbow' joints. You forgot the removable rotating wrists. It's still a lame figure though.

Obi wan #1 and Anakin #2... Actually I found them to be not quite as bad out of the boxes as I thought they looked in pics. Apart from the silly looking elbow articulation they're pretty decent in appearance and the capability of double handed lightsaber grip is welcome Yeah, that's how I feel too, if the elbows weren't so ugly and weren't always loose on the right arm, I wouldn't have too much bad to say about them, except the weak sculpting and painting and full-diaper look of the crotch, but that's sadly not so bad for this line.

I have the second Obi-wan which has an equally futile action feature that makes the legs look stupid and prevents him from being able to stand. And this one can't hold a lightsaber in two hands either. The first one is the better one IMO. I can get mine to stand, barely though, and that crazy left arm really hampers this figure. The gimmick is fun for me for about 10 seconds, but it really isn't good for an action figure.

So what are other people opinions of #11 Vader action features? I suppose that doesn't apply to me, but I'll state my opinion on this feature again. ;) It's not the worst thing ever, it's fairly well integrated, not especially exciting perhaps but a little more interesting than Palpatine 35's or Anakin 28's saber gimmick - basically they're just karate chops, arm goes up and then down; Vader's is a rotation at the bicep. Vader's right arm has standard shoulder, rotating bicep, and rotating gauntlet articulation, the figure's legs and waist aren't hindered by the gimmick either. When you take the saber out of the figure's hand though, the gimmick can easily be perverted into an obscene gesture - you'll have to decide if that's a plus or minus for yourself. ;)

sith_killer_99
04-20-2005, 11:23 PM
OK, I have to make a small confession about the #35 Palpatine figure. I have played with the action feature and it seems to be infectious! I sat around for about 10 minutes playing with the stupid thing. I am sooooooo ashamed! :silly:

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 11:37 PM
OK, I have to make a small confession about the #35 Palpatine figure. I have played with the action feature and it seems to be infectious! I sat around for about 10 minutes playing with the stupid thing. I am sooooooo ashamed! :silly:
Really? That one? His arm barely moves up and down, sometimes it doesn't move at all because the rubber shoulderpad hinders the movement. Anakin 28's arm moves a LOT more than that, Vader's moves differently, and I like the whipping affect of the #1 and 2 figs more than Palps 35. Heck, even the motion of the bodyguard's pugile-stick action is more fun to me once it starts working right. What amuses you so about this one?

AmanaMatt
04-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Ok, call me crazy, but I opened my Palpatine #35, and aside from the salt-shaker syndrome, he is a pretty good looking fig. On mine, the action feature does not limit the right arm from moving (more of less). As to the head, this can be angled somewhat. So far, he is my fav of the Palpys yet.

beckmen
04-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I might have to pick this guy up IF I can ever find him. Having Palpy in his red robes is really a must...

JediTricks
04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Are you sure the head can be angled Matt? Is it something in the body that allows this, or just bending the maliable plastic neck? I picked up a red-saber version yesterday, not sure if I'll keep it or not though.

I picked up Xploding Grievous yesterday and was surprised at how much I like this figure. The paint is weak, the white color is too white and there's no weathering; the sculpting is a little soft; and the articulation is minimal with 5 points, standard hips and shoulders, ball-jointed neck, but other than those issues I think it's a fun figure. First off, the removable full-body cloak is really neat, it exposes the left arm but the rest is totally covered, and the cloak has a nice sculpt to it and that painted pattern on the back again. Second, all the limbs and the head are removable, that's a nice touch. Third, that... thing in his torso is really keen, it's translucent green and has a sculpt good enough to see it's icky. ;) Fourth, his hands actually are able to hold his accessories without trouble the way the Preview fig was (it wasn't a disaster, but it was annoying). Fifth, and most importantly for this thread, the gimmick works well and is fun AND they put a tiny magnet on the back half of the upper body which holds it to the lower half of the body and keeps the figure together, I held the fig upside-down and it didn't come apart (if you swing it or shake it hard, it will though). I wouldn't want a lot of figures to emulate this one, but as a rare entry I like it.

beckmen
04-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I agree on all points other than the magnet. Mine doesn't work, he falls apart like crazy. But he's still a good buy. I love the "guts"!

JediTricks
04-24-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm afraid you're not the only person I've heard from where the magnet didn't work, looks like that feature is another hit-or-miss magnet from Hasbro. It's too bad too because when it works, the feature is decent and makes for a very fun figure.

beckmen
04-25-2005, 06:03 PM
I just hot glued him together so he wouldn't keep falling apart. No problem.

JediTricks
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Hot glue?!? But that keeps his best attribute, his guts, hidden. Seems a bit extreme to me.

beckmen
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Well, I typically play with figs, pose them, have some fun for a day and then they go on display and aren't touched for a few weeks. The hot glue I have isn't very good, so it comes off really easily is I decide I want to play with him again. It just keeps him together for now...like the bands that held him together in the packaging.

Now that I think about it...I don't even know where he went! I ran out of stands so he was just sitting on my coffee table waiting...prolly in the shoebox where I keep the accesories and figs that are not on display...

AmanaMatt
04-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Are you sure the head can be angled Matt? Is it something in the body that allows this, or just bending the maliable plastic neck?

You're right... I angle him by forcing it. This is a salt shaker, no doubt, but I just like the overall sculpt.