PDA

View Full Version : So Close and yet so Mustafar!

MaquisWarrior
04-10-2005, 09:01 PM
From the pictures I've seen It looks like the Arena playset repainted and they added the ramp for the rolling rock (mmmm Rolling Rock) which looks like a brussel sprout. It also looks like they have not found out about digital cable TV and are still using a giant antenna. I wonder if the lava everyone is so h:kiss:t about will be a crappy piece of foam like the pit from the old Dagobah playset or the left over Nickelodeon slime from the company who made those toys or a fun to eat mix. My favourite part is that you can connect the battle scenes (Obi vs. General roach boy and Annie vs.Dorku) sets that are readily available at stores evrywhere in such abundance that I should start hitting on the gals who work at these stores, ask for an application, or start collecting Hot Wheels before they get creeped out on me and call the cops.

Kahuna:This is Kahuna's last post because NO ONE listens to Kahuna about the lava. Okay, burn your fool fingers. Kahuna DON'T CARE. When you want to play with your tiki and you can't DON'T COME CRYING TO KAHUNA!:mad:

JEDIpartner
04-11-2005, 09:08 AM
It's not the Arena playset. It's based off a GI Joe playset.

JediTricks
04-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I think I am misunderstanding you JP, are you saying the Mustafar playset is based on a Joe playset? I can't think of a single one that's remotely similar.

If you're saying the AOTC Arena is a Joe set, that's backwards, the GI Joe line retooled the AOTC Arena to make their "Conquest of Cobra Mountain" playset, and they forgot to take out some of the battle droid parts molded to the floor: http://yojoe.com/vehicles/03/cobramountain/droids.shtml

Kidhuman
04-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Mustafar looks similar to Dagobah to me

JediTricks
04-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Really? I remember the Dagobah playset being flat with a tree/hut and a foam hole "swamp", this thing looks very vertical by comparison.

Kidhuman
04-11-2005, 08:35 PM
The shape of it, the base format more than anything. Just built from there.

MaquisWarrior
04-12-2005, 03:09 AM
What was and still is cool about the Dagobah playset was the back of it where you could recreate the Luke vs. the Vader scene. Now Hasbro kinda dropped the ball by not remaking/renaming the Jawa Droid Factory(aka Jabba's Droid Dungeon) for ATOC as well as the Death Star corridor playsets during the green card/orange card era (1995-now) to all connect together. Anyway, the volcano playset looks butt ugly, at least the pictures posted here are. Hopefully the final toy is good.

jedi master sal
04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
The Mustafer playset is taken from the M.A.S.K. "Boulder HIll" Playset.

Here's one pic reference:
http://www.retrojunk.com/author/artimages/bhill.jpg

If I could find a better view from the other side, you'd more clearly see the resemblance.

Kidhuman
04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Ummm Sal, no pic of the playset.

Ji'dai
04-12-2005, 05:24 PM
The Mustafer playset is taken from the M.A.S.K. "Boulder HIll" Playset.

Here's one pic reference:
http://www.retrojunk.com/articles/top-ten-80s-playsets.html

If I could find a better view from the other side, you'd more clearly see the resemblance.

I changed sal's link to the web page so it should work now. The MASK playset is number 7 on their list.

Kidhuman
04-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Yeah it works now. thanks.

beckmen
04-12-2005, 05:38 PM
I had that Boulder Hill MASK playset, and it's not the same thing as Mustafar, trust me!

beckmen
04-12-2005, 05:51 PM
That article does rule. I want to see that USS Flagg playset!

JON9000
04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Holy Spicoli, that whole site is a bug out. Those retro Star Wars and Transformers commercials are insane- especially where those buck toothed kids say "robots in disguise!"

Kidhuman
04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Wow, I dl'd all the commercialsand stuff.

Tycho
04-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Dude...they made the USS Flag.

Rebel Blockade Runner (Tantive IV) from E3 / E4

Imperial Star Destroyer

Jabba's Sail Barge

Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (Home One)

The Death Star

AT-TE (which is not even that big...)

Uhh....Hasbro

MaquisWarrior
04-13-2005, 03:27 AM
I remember that playset vaguely. MASK was the dumbest James Bond vehicle rip-off. Especially since the year they came out that movie with Cher about that ugly kid with the disease came out also. There was that on car that had the doors open and you had a clear shot at the hero pilot.

JEDIpartner
04-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah... It was the M.A.S.K. set... not G.I. Joe-- I haven't any interest in those so I got them mixed up! LOL Actually, someone who has the Boulder Hill set and saw the Mustafar set at Toy Fair said that portions of the unit are based off of the same mould. There was an artiacle or a posting of this on one of the other sites. I wish I could remember which.

JediTricks
04-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I owned the Boulder Hill playset, it's pretty big, that was a Kenner line before Hasbro bought the company, but I guess they do have the rights to the tooling at this point. That would explain the openings at the bottom of the Mustafar set, I had been wondering about that. From the pics I've seen, these 2 playsets don't look all that similar though.

beckmen
04-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I dunno, other than the base I can't see much from Boulder Hill on this thing. I'm not saiyng it's a good playset (it kind of sucks), but it looks mostly newly sculpted.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2005, 07:13 PM
That site makes me wish that Hasbro made awesome playsets like that. The ones they churn out are good, but kind of small and nowhere near as cool as the things on that page.

How much money was the U.S.S. Flagg back in the day? That looks cool!

Anyway, I don't think that the Mustafar playset shares pieces with Boulder Mountain. I guess if I open it up and there's a gas station behind the volcano the I'll eat my words. :D

Kidhuman
04-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Think the Flagg was 50 bucks or so.

WesleySr
04-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, I will throw my $0.02 in. First off, the U.S.S. Flagg was $100. Second of all, I had the M.A.S.K. Boulder Hill playset and it looks similar to the Mustafar playset, but it is definitely not the same mold. Lastly, I had most of those playsets on that list (minus Eternia, A-Team Command Center, & The Hyve), and I don't see how the A-Team and The Hyve could possibly be better than the Ewok Village.

MaquisWarrior
04-15-2005, 11:41 PM
#1 reason the A-Team and Hyve playsets were better than the Ewok village...MR.T FOOL..kidding...size!!Ewoks Wicket and the butt ugly DOIDS/EARWAX cartoon versions of him(??) and the Shaman Logray plus the Ewok family eraser (www.toysrgus.com) were the only ones you could fit and not take out anymore during play. The other playsets you could have all the classic figs all over the place.

beckmen
04-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, even as a kid I was not so enthused by the Ewok Village. Now the Falcon, Death Star and the Imperial Shuttle....I LOVED those!

Man, I miss my Death Star Playset :( :(

Reefer Shark
05-10-2005, 11:32 PM
I just busted open my Mustafar set today, and I think it's pretty cool. Not fantastic, there's not much to it, but I would say it's worth the $30.

I like how you can connect Medical Vader to the set!

JEDIpartner
05-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Even though that's not the location of where Vader gets put back together, I like the fact that they put some thought into this. I don't mind their playsets. They are exactly what they advertise. They aren't replica environments or reproductions. If you want that... build it yourself. I'm quite excited about this piece, actually.

RussUAE
05-12-2005, 05:53 AM
I opened mine too, and am pleasantly surprised. Better than expected.

Sure it doesn't do much but there are a couple of nice touches. Particularly like the lava pool detail (I won't say what, in case there are spoiler sensitive folks out there).

ROTJLuke
05-12-2005, 09:01 AM
I was never into the playsets...

JEDIpartner
05-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Then why are you posting in this thread? LOL

LusiferSam
05-12-2005, 02:18 PM
I recall the the M.A.S.K. figures as being a bit smaller than 3 3/4" scale, more like 2" or 2 3/4". I don't see how a M.A.S.K. playset could really be retooled as a SW playset.

JEDIpartner
05-12-2005, 03:28 PM
It would be really easy if it were the case. The scale of the figures to the playset would just be different.

beckmen
05-12-2005, 07:02 PM
How does the lava pool work?

JediTricks
05-13-2005, 04:18 AM
I recall the the M.A.S.K. figures as being a bit smaller than 3 3/4" scale, more like 2" or 2 3/4". I don't see how a M.A.S.K. playset could really be retooled as a SW playset.
MASK figures were about 3" tall if I remember correctly, and Boulder Hill was a big playset in comparison to them. Haven't heard any comparisons from people who own the set now, any confirmation on this?

beckmen
05-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Nah, MASK figures were around 2-2 1/2 inches. They were MUCH smaller than SW figures, the lines were not cross-capable of using vehicles and playsets like GI Joe. I always tried to do stuff like that...