PDA

View Full Version : Padme, Barbie, Pregnancy and Toy Censorship

Ji'dai
04-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm surprised that the release of a pregnant action figure in a major toy line has slipped by undetected from the ever-vigilant morality police. Of course I'm talking about the action figure version of character Padme Amidala, figure number 19 in Hasbro's Revenge of the Sith 3-3/4" toy line released nationwide on April 2. Now we know that Padme was married to Anakin Skywalker at the end of Attack of the Clones. The events depicted in Revenge of the Sith take place 3 years later, so Padme has been married for a 'respectable' time before she becomes pregnant. But would even that fact prevent an uproar over the release of a pregnant figure? Well, maybe not.

In 2002, rival toy company Mattel released a pregnant Barbie doll. The doll was Midge, Barbie's oldest friend, originally introduced in 1963. Pregnant Midge was part of Mattel's "Happy Family" line, intended for girls' nurturing and caring play with dolls. She does wear a wedding ring and was designed with a detachable magnetic stomach that allows for "delivery" of the baby. According to Mattel, the "Happy Family" dolls are "a wonderful prop for parents to use with their children to role-play family situations — especially in families anticipating the arrival of a new sibling." Like Padme, Midge was married - in the Barbie world, Midge was married to ‘Alan’ in 1991 and the couple have a 3 year old boy, ‘Ryan.’ In December 2002, after receiving complaints that a pregnant Barbie doll was a little too graphic for girls, and that the doll might be considered a negative influence that might lead to more teen pregnancy, Wal-Mart pulled the doll from their stores.

Although I've passed on most of the movie figures, ‘pregnant’ Padme was one I wanted. I don't think I've ever seen a pregnant action figure before. The figure's design offers a subtle implication of the character's pregnancy in the film. It's interesting to look at how Hasbro went about creating this figure. Although the figure isn't sculpted with a swollen abdomen, Hasbro has incorporated soft-goods into the sculpt that billow out in order to give the impression of pregnancy. I wonder if they took into consideration Mattel's problems with their 2002 pregnant Barbie release. Of course, Star Wars is primarily a boys toy line, so I suppose Padme was designed so kids could ignore the soft goods/pregnancy look and just play with her as any other action figure. If she had a large sculpted belly it might've been a little more difficult to imagine her taking on enemy Battle Droids during a Clone Wars play scenario at home.

Still, maybe it's a cultural thing. Since Star Wars is a boys toy line, maybe the release of a "pregnant" toy figure isn't that big a deal. Our boys can handle it, right? But release a pregnant doll toy for girls and it gets yanked off the shelves. Surely we need to protect our innocent girls from negative societal influences. It's still early though. I'm sure when the movie is released the toys will get more coverage in the media and come under greater scrutiny by parents or 'concerned adults.' But do you think pregnant Padme will come under fire or just slip by unnoticed?

ronhudy
04-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I don't think it will generate much controversy. As you said, it's a boy's toy and an "action figure". It's a toy personifying a character from a science-fiction movie, and not a "role-playing" toy, developed around or bringing attention to family/social issues. So I don't think there's any kind of strong argument about negative moral issues that anyone could make. It doesn't actually "deliver" a baby either (although that would be one heck of an "action" feature!...and one TINY set of twins from a 3-3/4"!)

LTBasker
04-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Also consider that she's not being advertised as Preggers Padme and to someone who doesn't really know the line they could have to look at her for awhile before realizing she was. I mean when you really look at the figure itself, it seems more like she just got done at her favorite mexican resturant. :D

beckmen
04-11-2005, 04:51 PM
I agree with Ron.

Haha, an Action Feature Padme would rule! I'm thinking kind of a firing missle-baby dealy. Anyone ever see that episode of Yes, Dear with the Nerfball-firing doll? Something like that.

El Chuxter
04-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Also, Padme represents a character in a movie who can be seen to be pregnant. If she weren't pregnant, it wouldn't be an accurate portrayal. Given that she doesn't deliver, I doubt this will be any problem.

I am pretty sure she's the first pregnant action figure.

rust
04-11-2005, 05:44 PM
LOL, Action Feature Padme made me laugh hard!
*Locks himself into a custom shop*

I think the censorship police are just spoiler-free. After Padme delivers in the movie, then Pregnant Padme will be taken off. Makes me wanna buy a second Padme to keep carded.

chrisc
04-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I have refused to look at the new figures because I want to know as little as possible about ROTS when I see it. Now I have to go look for this one.

hestep99
04-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Besides, boys probably wont buy it or even notice it for that matter. The only ppl who will buy will be collectors. So I doubt any type of hitch from the urm...action figure.

Rocketboy
04-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Whoa whoa WHOA!
Padme is pregnant!?

I thought that since she got mearried, she just kind of, you know, let herself go...

;)

bobafrett
04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
I thought it was Wal-Mart's customers that made a big stink about the pregnant Midge doll. I remember hearing that Wal-Mart had pulled the dolls from the shelves. Did other stores follow suit? I'm glad (to this point) that no one has made a fuss over the pregnant Padme. Now if they would just make an anotomically correct Padme, for us "older" collectors. :p ;)

Kidhuman
04-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Either way, if they get pulled, I have one. But like said above, who cares. It doesnt have said action feature. Maybe we should start the rumor that it has been recalled like the Unleashed.

Slicker
04-11-2005, 08:49 PM
What? This thing has been recalled. You hear that everybody this thing is gonna be rare because they recalled it. Go out and buy as many as you can.

Heh, heh, heh. Suckers.:p

hestep99
04-11-2005, 09:15 PM
anotomically correct and lifesize. Hahaha

Rocketboy
04-11-2005, 09:56 PM
anotomically correct and lifesize. HahahaI'll take 3.

No. Make that 4.

LTBasker
04-11-2005, 10:19 PM
We have entered...the creepy zone. nunanunanunanunanunanunanuna :beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-11-2005, 10:20 PM
The weirdest thing about this figure is that she's barely pregnant at all! She'd have to be at least seven or eight months pregnant with twins in ROTS, so she should be much bigger than this. I think she is in the film, but I'm not sure. The sculpting on this figure is really bizarre, when you lift up the skirt ( ;) ) it doesn't even look like she's pregnant at all.

Jedi
04-11-2005, 11:21 PM
I do know one thing for sure about Padme...this action figure IS one of the most difficult to find right now in these parts...I've only seen two since MM.

Jedi

MaquisWarrior
04-12-2005, 04:16 AM
Yet another figure I WON'T GET TO BUY:dead:
You all know it will get censored because some one is going to get offended. In fact I know that even the new Pope will denounce it without seeing it. It'll be on Hannity and Coombs; ridculed on Stern and Imus news segment; a John and Jeff topic that your views will not be heard; Julie Cutiepie, Betty Gia or Polly Purebred from the local Channel Ocho will try to make her career on it; your pastor will have fodder, etc GUARANTEED. Of course there is a GIANT ASTEROID coming to earth; the War on Drugs, etc. but the flavor of the month will be this action figure.
I can understand censorship for things that are off topic like most of my HILARIOUS POSTS like the one about Quick Draw Mc Graw or the origin of the Spirit of Kahuna action figure who was killed by a Deluxe Vulture Droid who was offened by the post of D.V.Droid being weak and calling out the writer only to have fought Kahuna:dis: But out and out censorship of something that no one knows nothing about is DEAD WRONG and we're one vote away from becoming the world in Starship Troopers or Star Trek for reals, living in a "federation".:ermm:

CaptainSolo1138
04-12-2005, 02:07 PM
The sculpting on this figure is really bizarre, when you lift up the skirt ( ;) ) it doesn't even look like she's pregnant at all.
I noticed this right when I opened it. It kinda looks like she's leaning backwards more than it looks like she's preggers. As for the life size Padme's, you guys are pervs.

Gimme two.

MaquisWarrior
04-13-2005, 03:10 AM
A lilfe sized Padme doll?? That wold definitely get banned. Actually, there is/was a my size Barbie but was the size of a child, that's probably what they would make. I'll take none! I would buy Padme's costumes and shoes though. When you can clone at RiteAid I'll take the clothes there and make several.:crazed:

HighLordDave
04-13-2005, 11:28 AM
The fundy Christians are too busy getting their own line talking Jesus (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E20949%257E2790346,00.html) (and other biblical characters) dolls ready to go to market to pay attention to pregnant Padme (she is married, after all, plus her son will be the saviour of the galaxy).

Ji'dai
04-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I've seen Biblical action figures before, but nothing really high quality.

The impetus for this thread began back on the afternoon of April 2 when I stopped into Wal-Mart in a neighboring small town. The toy department manager was stocking an endcap with figures from several ROTS cases. I chatted with her as she worked, mainly looking for red Guards and figures above #32. As she pulled a Padme out of the case, she stopped and looked the figure over closely and exclaimed, "Is she pregnant?! Well, she better have a wedding ring on. We had to take a Barbie doll off the shelves because people complained." So that encounter left me with the feeling that if this particular figure gets noticed by certain concerned groups that feel compelled to protect the rest of us from this sort of thing, then Padme might get pulled from the market.

I think people here have relatively open-minded views on human sexuality and reproduction. (If not somewhat perverted :D) However, the type of people who would complain about this figure and see it removed from the market have very narrow-minded views on this topic. They seem to have almost irrational reactions to "exposing" children to such ideas through any channels, especially a toy.

I personally don't think pregnant Padme is a threat to the innocence of our nation's children. If anything, '05/19 Padme is an interesting footnote in collecting as it is probably the first action figure with a bun in the oven.

Joshkj
04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Dont forget she comes with a gun too lol

I didnt pick this up but i may just for a keepsake lol

Ji'dai
04-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Dont forget she comes with a gun too

Hell, she could come with huge arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and it wouldn't get a second glance. It just the sexual stuff that people are prudish about.

Wal-Mart pulls the pregnant Barbie after getting complaints yet they still sell guns and ammo. The chain even pulled a Sheryl Crow album because one of her song lyrics referred to a kid buying a gun at Wal-Mart.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-13-2005, 04:42 PM
This is the first time I'm hearing about a preggers Barbie doll, let alone being pulled from shelves. I dunno, maybe it's just me but if parents are so dismayed about it teaching girls about a negative stereotype then maybe they shouldn't buy it.
Sounds like a few uptight people ruining things for everyone else.

I seriously doubt that the Padme figure would even get noticed to make a stink about. With the glut of Bail Organas and Mon Mothmas who's gonna notice her? Plus with that small belly those who aren't collectors are not really going to scrutinize her.

I've tried to stay away from spoilers, so I don't know if this is how it is in the movie, but could it be that the Padme figure looks minimally PG because she may be trying to hide the fact that she's got two in the oven. I thought noone else knows about her marriage so questions would start to arise about who the father would be.

HighLordDave
04-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Wal-Mart has always been a corporation full of hypocrites. They won't sell any CD with a "parental advisory" sticker on it, but they'll sell Sex and the City Seasons 1-5.

JON9000
04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
I think Wal-Mart has a legitimate concern...

...if Padme's action feature is giving birth to twins!!! :p

El Chuxter
04-13-2005, 07:08 PM
If they shoot out with the same power of the AttackTix, we're all in trouble. Little plastic babies putting eyes out all over the country!! :eek:

MaquisWarrior
04-15-2005, 07:24 PM
A funny story from theTPM days! My Mom bought me a Avon Qui-Gon Jinn Men's Watch where the Lightsaber was a seconds counter. A galpal of mine who was SO into Jesus loved my Qui-Gon watch. Boy she was red in the face when I told her that it was not Jesus! I told her I'm sorry to say that the Jesus watches I have seen WERE CRAPPY except for the praying hands one but those could be anyones hands!

MaquisWarrior
04-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Got my Amidalas today! Let's hope there is contraversy so that I can retire by selling one! BUT NOT NOW!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
04-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Kind of hard to complain about the figure here as there aren't any around. I was lucky to find one at Fred Meyer last week. It may be possible that there is one at the bottom of the bins at TRU. Maybe she is fooling around with the blue guard I can't find.

bobafrett
04-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Picked up a second Padme today, cause I wanted to open one up to see if Hasbro had made a plastic molded stomach, or just stuck a small pillow up in her dress or blouse or whatever that number is that she's wearing. I notice the base has Lava, I wonder if.........nevermind.

MaquisWarrior
04-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Nah! Too much Rugelach (capirotata for you Catholics) if you ask me! Padme needs lay off this candy dish similar to Lasanga but with nuts, dates, syrup, chocolate, etc. covered in Cheese. Sorry there's no blood in it www.snopes.com.

MaquisWarrior
04-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Whoknew that you can learn things by posting in a EP3 toy forum! Especially mine!! Our girl Nats is of Hebraic decendecy and they just celbrated Purim, yet another of their eating holidays in which sweets are more prevalent. For those of y'all who don't like those good people that's why the www.snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com) link is there so that maybe you will think differently and enjoy all SW loving cultures for their differences. Hence the remark that Nat "Portly"man didn't need padding for ROTS! Chubby girls rock, sometimes!
Although many synagogs will denounce our beloved queen's toy for being pregnant ( see how I went back to the original topic)