PDA

View Full Version : Short circuit...or...Why Darth Vader can never use Force Lightning

sith_killer_99
04-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I have wondered about this in the past. We never see Darth Vader use Force Lightning and he was easily put down by Palpatine with Force Lightning in ROTJ. Yet in EP2 Count Dooku uses Force Lightning. In the OT Vader was more powerful than Dooku ever was. Yet, no Force Lightning. Not only that but he was pretty messed up by the Emperor.

I had speculated that it was because of his "machine" parts.

Turns out that is exactly right. According to the new "Visual Dictionary" because of his mechanical arms Darth Vader can never use Force Lightning this also means that we will always be vulnerable to Force Lightning.

So there you have it.

This explains a great deal of how Palpatine manages to keep Vader under his thumb for all those years. :dev:

bobafrett
04-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I read that also today in the visual dictionary. But Vader can recharge by taking off his gloves, and holding a standard car battery!

sith_killer_99
04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Kewl......

I bet that comes in handy in a galaxy far far away! ;)

Ji'dai
04-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Vader also can't go near the microwaves in the Death Star's cafeteria. No wonder he has a such a bad disposition towards his officers, no microwave JonnyCakes for him.

JON9000
04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I always wondered about that (yes I have no life).

El Chuxter
04-12-2005, 12:04 PM
True, but he got an indestructible hand!!

(Sorry, bad EU reference.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
True, but he got an indestructible hand!!

(Sorry, bad EU reference.)
Yes, that is bad. Isn't it supposed to be some dumb Mandalorian glove or something? Uh, maybe he could lift people up because he was strong. Just a thought. :rolleyes: :D

If he doesn't use lightning, then that's dumb to have him in the ROTS video game doing it (in the trailer for it anyway).

JEDIpartner
04-13-2005, 09:20 AM
He's got ONE of his limbs in the ROTS film and game so he "could" produce the Sith lightning. It wasn't until... oh-- okay... never mind.

Von-El
04-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I wondered why Darth Vader never used force-lightning, myself.

I thought, maybe because he has mechanical parts, but I dislike that being part mechanical makes Anakin/Darth Vader vulnerable because his limbs had been chopped off. I would think that midchlorians wouldn't be lost to him even with parts missing.

In each Star Wars movie, we saw something new and were introduced to someone new.

We always saw Vader use the force to choke his opponents and use the light-sabre to battle Luke and Obi-Wan. It wasn't until ROTJ that we saw the Emperor use force-lightning.

Darth Maul didn't use force lightning either, yet Dooku did.

So I came to the conclusion that Darths Maul and Vader are more into physical combat--while Palpatine/Darth Sidious and Count Dooku are more into the spiritual aspects of the force than physical combat. I consider force-lightining to be more of the spiritual side. Darths Vader and Maul would use the lightning if need be but their appearances alone are very threatening.