PDA

View Full Version : Lt Cmdr. Lorth Needa

BanthaPoodoo
04-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Was reading the novel last night & got to a point where it was talking about him fighting against Greivous.... I said man that name sounds familiar... I got to thinking "Thats where its from!!!!"

I remembered it was from when the Falcon hid behind the destroyer!!!

How cool is it that another OT character is in the PT!!!

DarthAngel
04-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I noticed that too when I was reading the novel.

It then got me to thinking about what other "future" Imperial officers might be refered to in ROTS.

I mean we know about Tarkin, and now Needa, any other thoughts?

General_Grievous
04-13-2005, 04:47 PM
This may be purely EU, as far as we know. There are some things that the authors add in to make the stories a bit more meatier. See also the novels for TPM, AOTC, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. So while it directly deals with a character from the films, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be in the movie. After all, he wasn't in the ROTS graphic novel. All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up.

DarthAngel
04-13-2005, 06:15 PM
This may be purely EU, as far as we know. There are some things that the authors add in to make the stories a bit more meatier. See also the novels for TPM, AOTC, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. So while it directly deals with a character from the films, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be in the movie. After all, he wasn't in the ROTS graphic novel. All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up.

You raise a good point there GG, and while you are right about Needa not being in the graphic novel, with all the hoopla that has been made about Tarkin, it appears that Tarkin is only going to have about like 30 seconds of screentime.

It couldn't hurt to hope that some of the other Imperial officers are in the movie, but only time will tell.

Is it May 19th yet?

Slicker
04-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Lt Cmdr.? Boy he must be one crappy Imperial officer if it takes him over 20 years to become an Admiral.

On topic though I think it would be neat to see him but I myself would rather see Piett or Ozzel.

darko666
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Tarkin is only going to have about like 30 seconds of screentime.

yeah, it's right at the end of the film. Tarkin got screwed with having some kind of background on him in this movie. hopefully he at least has a line or two.

hango fett
04-13-2005, 08:46 PM
maybe captian piett or admiral ozzel will have a few seconds of mention or screentime. highly doudbtfull, but won't know 100% till 5-19-05
HF

jedibear
04-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I liked seeing Needa mentioned too but I think that's just an "EU" thing that won't be mentioned overtly in the film.

Dodonna is featured in the ongoing "Republic" series of comics and in LOE, the book preceding ROTS. If you've been enjoying ROTS, be sure and check out LOE...it's worthy lead-in for Epsiode 3...

Jek Porky 2002
04-14-2005, 04:53 AM

So which charactors where dropped into the EP I and Ep II novels that didn't make it into the films?

Slicker
04-14-2005, 05:47 AM
The only one that I can think of right off hand would be Greedo. If you watch the cut scenes you can see the footage of Ani laying the smack down on him.

Jek Porky 2002
04-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that sequence! He is a really strange high pitch voice! Would make a nice figure actually.

sith_killer_99
04-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Lt Cmdr.? Boy he must be one crappy Imperial officer if it takes him over 20 years to become an Admiral.

Maybe, or maybe not.

It all depends. Naval rank is similar to Army rank. We have 4 ranks for Gen. and the Navy has 4 ranks for Admiral. He could have gotten promoted to "Admiral" 12 years before ANH and worked his was up. In the Navy a full Admiral is an O-10, which is the highest rank obtainable. Also, he could have made O-10 years before ANH. ;) :D

BanthaPoodoo
04-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Actually he wasnt an admiral but a captain......

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/captainlorthneeda/

:)

Slicker
04-14-2005, 01:46 PM
You know what I was totally thinking of Adm. Ozzel and Adm. Piett. This makes it even worse he's an O-4 in ROTS and by the time ESB comes around he's and O-6 Capt. You would think that high year tenur would kick in or something.

Oh, and Sithkiller I would really hope that I'd know the Naval rank system. Psst check my profile.;):p

jedi master sal
04-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I agree with Slicker all the way. I was in the navy as well and it doesn't take that long to go from LCDR (Lieutenant Commander) to ADM. And as previously pointed out, Needa is reffered to as Captain in the OT, not Admiral.

The Imperial Navy is very similar to our own Navy. Most Commanders of naval vessel (at least the really big ones) are Captains, with only a sprinkling of Admirals, and an even less amount that are lower ranking than Captain.

And one thing is for certain, you do NOT call an Admiral a Captain, even if he is the "commander" or "captain" of the ship. Note that I lower cased the "c" in both ranks there. An Admiral can be called a commander or captain in reference only, NOT to his face.

BTW Slicker, it's cool you're in the Nav. So what is your job? I was a Corpsman. Just call me PO2 Sal... (Slicker will know what this means)

Anyway, back to topic. If he's called by name in the movie I'd be surprised.

Slicker
04-14-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm an AT (Aviation Electronics Tech) I sit in a big air conditioned room working on computer bays all day. It's not bad.

Unfortunately Sal it's only ATAN Hamlin...for now.

RooJay
04-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Not every career military man reaches the rank of Admiral - even those that stay on long enough to retire from a military career. I mean, I could be wrong, but I'd always had the impression that they don't just hand out those ranks just for sticking around long enough. Maybe it's not that Captain Needa is not a very good officer, perhaps it's just that he lacks the right stuff to be promoted all the way to Admiral.