PDA

View Full Version : what a joke!!!

jwmc1971
04-13-2005, 10:25 AM
http://www.kbtoys.com/PromoBuilder.html/promoID/1414 these guys think we cant add .4 figs at walmart is 20.96 ....3 at kb's is 20.97 ...this doesnt include tax on either or shipping from kb's . again , what a joke ...so much for signing up to get " great money saving offers "!!:dead:

samskull
04-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Well....I guess...at least this way they are in line with everyone else's pricing...in the guise of a sale of course. So if you need those pegwarmers...KBToys is your place!

buddatrooper
04-13-2005, 05:16 PM
i havent seen any figures at 6.99 all the ones around here are 5.22-5.99.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-13-2005, 05:23 PM
They do have Mas Amedda in stock though and for now, he is a bit tough to find.

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/4013139/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D/

DarthAngel
04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
i havent seen any figures at 6.99 all the ones around here are 5.22-5.99.

Trooper, the KB toys near my house has ROTS figures for 6.99, and from the looks of it, it doesn't appear that any of the figures are moving off the pegs.

Furthermore, that same KB only has figures 1-32.

It's no wonder why most of the KB's that used to be around here on Long Island are going out of business. Oh Well!

JON9000
04-13-2005, 06:09 PM
KB has the disadvantage of being in a mall, which has sky high rent per sq. foot compared to a box store. I suppose the idea is that foot traffic and impulse buying will make up the difference .

Bantha274
04-13-2005, 06:12 PM
There's a KB in an out-of-the-way mall here in Maryland that has zero ROTS figures. They said they never received any and haven't heard that they would be getting any.

Also, this is one of ony 3 KB stores that I know of in the entire state. Needless to say, they don't sell very much and are quickly going out of business around here.

ronhudy
04-13-2005, 07:00 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: KB SUCKS!

Well...let me clarify - I've gotten some great deals there, and USED TO enjoy shopping there, but they have the WORST business strategy I've ever seen. First off, yes, they're in a mall, so they've got to find some way to pay that high rent expense. Selling common merchandise isn't going to work - that's why most stores in a mall are SPECIALTY stores. If they had more exclusive merchandise, and didn't have the exact same lines, but 1/10th the stock of a discount store, they'd solve their problems right there. But instead, they have the same 'ol merchandise at 15% higher prices, it sits there, then 6 months to a year later, gets clearanced at 30-50% off. Doesn't take an economics major to see the flaw in that. I remember too when KB stores were much bigger than they are now (at least in my view - maybe I'm just bigger!) and they used to be on a competitive level with discount stores. Of course, Wal-Mart wasn't the goliath it is now 15 years ago, and it's a given they've impacted smaller businesses. But KB has made too many bad judgements in recent years. I've seen those KB outlet stores too, but again, the ones I've seen are in "outlet" type settings with mostly fashion stores, and not where you'd go on your typical family shopping trip, so again - NOT getting the customer base they need.

jwmc1971
04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
maybe they should stick w/online stuff...that would save them about 50% and they could switch shippers to save money also....it was like 7 or 8 $$ to ship limited chewie , otc , and like 5 $ to ship a 4" fig !!:confused:

darko666
04-13-2005, 07:15 PM
It's no wonder why most of the KB's that used to be around here on Long Island are going out of business. Oh Well!

ha, every KB that are located in malls on LI are closed. the ones that are part of strip malls will soon meet their demise. it's not that much of a loss anyway.

aricajade
04-14-2005, 04:23 PM
maybe they should stick w/online stuff...that would save them about 50% and they could switch shippers to save money also....it was like 7 or 8 $$ to ship limited chewie , otc , and like 5 $ to ship a 4" fig !!:confused:

The best rate they would get for shipping a carded 4" figure is $3.85 from the USPS for Priority Mail. EVERY largescale online business overcharges for shipping. It is how they help make their money. If they sent it by UPS they would probably have to pay over $4 for it, so $5 is not a stretch.

sluray
04-14-2005, 05:22 PM
That is ridicilous!

Fluke Skywalker
04-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Since turning 25, I've had an aversion to going to the Mall, so I rarely go to KayBee anymore. About a year ago they did have FOTR figures marked down to $4.99. Good ones too. They also cleared their AOTC figures out at $2.99 a pop, which is more than you can say for TRU who still have Chancellor Palpatine from 'Clones' full price. :eek:

I made a run the other day right across from the Mall and I didn't even bother going in.

cdatkins
04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I used to work at KB Toys and they are, indeed, a joke.

I worked there in the summer of 1998...around the zenith of the new Star Wars line. How many new shipments of figures did we receive in the three months I worked there?

ZERO.

One small example will show you the idiocy of this company: one Saturday I had to work the front of the store for 7 hours, demo-ing toys. This was the Saturday that the movie Godzilla opened, and kids were going nuts over the Godzilla toys. So was I demo-ing the remote control Godzilla? No, of course not. I was demo-ing some lame, Lost World T-Rex that had been in our store for over a year. I asked why we weren't demo-ing the hot toys and I was told that we needed to sell the Lost World stuff cause it's discounted.

How many Lost World T-Rexes did we sell that day?

ZERO.

WesleySr
04-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Well, there use to be 2 KB's in the Charleston area. One in the Charleston Town Center and the other in the Kanawha Mall. The one in the CTC closed at the beginning of the year. I have been to the one in the Kanawha Mall in search of ROTS merchandise and found a couple of items that I needed. They had the Battle Arena for $24.99 and the Gunship for $34.99. Needless to say that I refused to pay $5 more than the already high SRP, so I left them sitting there. (hopefully I wont regret that)

cdatkins
04-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Well, there use to be 2 KB's in the Charleston area. One in the Charleston Town Center and the other in the Kanawha Mall. The one in the CTC closed at the beginning of the year. I have been to the one in the Kanawha Mall in search of ROTS merchandise and found a couple of items that I needed. They had the Battle Arena for $24.99 and the Gunship for $34.99. Needless to say that I refused to pay $5 more than the already high SRP, so I left them sitting there. (hopefully I wont regret that)

My grandparents live in St. Albans, so I go to the CTC almost everytime I visit them. That KB there was one of the nicer KB's I've ever been to, and they usually had a decent selection. That's too bad that it had to close.

WesleySr
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
My grandparents live in St. Albans, so I go to the CTC almost everytime I visit them. That KB there was one of the nicer KB's I've ever been to, and they usually had a decent selection. That's too bad that it had to close.

Yeah, the one in the Kanawha Mall should have definitely closed before the one in the CTC. Also, where are you from?

aricajade
04-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, the one in the Kanawha Mall should have definitely closed before the one in the CTC. Also, where are you from?

Hehe...the Kanawha Mall itself should have closed a long time ago. It's like the "dirt mall" from MallRats.

WesleySr
04-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah, ever since Hills/Ames closed down, that mall just sucks.

cdatkins
04-16-2005, 10:03 AM

I live in northern Virginia, but I've been making trips to central WV since the 1970s.

I've always had a lot of luck finding Star Wars toys there, especially at the TRU, WM and Target in Corridor G.

Never had much luck at the TRU in Huntington.

moulman
04-16-2005, 10:21 AM
I kinda have mixed feelings about KB. Their prices on their figures suck, and they have to do the thing I hate most; put tags on the cards.

There actually preety good tho if your trying to pick some old LEGO sets.

Obi-wedge
04-16-2005, 10:37 AM
For those of you who do have KB near you...give them time. Like ALWAYS they will drop their figures to $3.99 OR they will start thier "closing" sale where they take % markdowns that get lower and lower each week. When they closed the OK KB stores, I got most of the Playskool stuff REALLY cheap. (How's $10 for the Falcon with figures and the jedi council sets for $5 each?)
I really only use KB as a last resort for army building and accessories (jedi cloaks).

darthzirock
04-17-2005, 03:32 AM
I'm not sure if it's cool or just sad that I'm old enough to remember when KB Toys were actually great stores.

When the vintage Kenner lines were out, KB was one of several places I could always count on to get in new figures ... the others being Woolworth's (long gone!), Two Guys (also long gone!), Toys "R" Us (soon gone???), Bradlee's (gone), and Korvette's (really long gone!). We didn't have a Wal-Mart in New Jersey until some time around the relaunch by Kenner in '95.

KB in Livingston Mall, Livingston, NJ, was my place to get Star Wars and several other toy lines I collected in the '70s and '80s. Heck, even into the '90s! Now, they were always more expensive on their toys, because of being in malls. I remember they were always about a dollar more on Star Wars basic figures and small vehicles, and anywhere from $2-$5 more on the larger vehicles and playsets. As the line was winding down in the mid-'80s, KB was my best source for POTF figures.

cdatkins
04-17-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure if it's cool or just sad that I'm old enough to remember when KB Toys were actually great stores.

When the vintage Kenner lines were out, KB was one of several places I could always count on to get in new figures ... the others being Woolworth's (long gone!), Two Guys (also long gone!), Toys "R" Us (soon gone???), Bradlee's (gone), and Korvette's (really long gone!). We didn't have a Wal-Mart in New Jersey until some time around the relaunch by Kenner in '95.

KB in Livingston Mall, Livingston, NJ, was my place to get Star Wars and several other toy lines I collected in the '70s and '80s. Heck, even into the '90s! Now, they were always more expensive on their toys, because of being in malls. I remember they were always about a dollar more on Star Wars basic figures and small vehicles, and anywhere from $2-$5 more on the larger vehicles and playsets. As the line was winding down in the mid-'80s, KB was my best source for POTF figures.

Great post.

KB was one of the BEST place for figs back when the OT was released. They always had a great selection.

Also good was Woolworth's, Hills, Sears, and JC Penney's (especially the Christmas catalogue).

You are absolutely right about KB in the waning years of Kenner. I can STILL remember seeing ALL the Power of the Force figures on the shelf there, including Han in Carbonite, Luke Stormtrooper, etc. I was more into GI Joe by that time and didn't pick any of them up. :-(

beckmen
04-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Ah, yeah. Seems we've all been burned by Wal-Mart and those other coporations that devour business. In my area I could get SW toys at Ames (which was Hills half the time), K-Mart, this drug stores who's name escapes me (but that's where I got a bunch of TPM figs for a buck fifty a piece!) and Wal-Mart. Now it's JUST Wal-Mart. Sad, sad, sad.

darko666
04-17-2005, 05:38 PM
i used to have a Duane Reade by me that always had pegs full of star wars figures. you could get a whole set in one visit. they went out of buisness when episode II came out. seems drug stores and department stores were the best places to get figures.

cdatkins
04-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Ah, yeah. Seems we've all been burned by Wal-Mart and those other coporations that devour business. In my area I could get SW toys at Ames (which was Hills half the time), K-Mart, this drug stores who's name escapes me (but that's where I got a bunch of TPM figs for a buck fifty a piece!) and Wal-Mart. Now it's JUST Wal-Mart. Sad, sad, sad.

I have nothing against WalMart. I've always found figures there, in fact, about 80% of my figure purchases from 1995 to today were from Wal Mart.

jwmc1971
04-17-2005, 09:38 PM
yeah , kb's was cool for a while..THE only toy store in my town till wally world ....but as people have said , its really gone down hill. and even though it looks the same way for trus , i hope these new owners were serious when they said they would keep it going by scalin' back . i cant imagine what i would do when my 6 mo. old son is 4 or 5 and there is no trus .....remember that stupid giraffe ? ...when you were a kid trus was THE place !! i hope i can take my kid there later and he'll remember with the same feelings i did when i was his age. well we will see... off topic ...did anyone else find the orange potf tri-language cards at big lots ON SALE for 3.99 back in 98' ?? i went to all the big lots in and around tampa and scooped up around 50 of them ...great find !!:D

cdatkins
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
yeah , kb's was cool for a while..THE only toy store in my town till wally world ....but as people have said , its really gone down hill. and even though it looks the same way for trus , i hope these new owners were serious when they said they would keep it going by scalin' back . i cant imagine what i would do when my 6 mo. old son is 4 or 5 and there is no trus .....remember that stupid giraffe ? ...when you were a kid trus was THE place !! i hope i can take my kid there later and he'll remember with the same feelings i did when i was his age. well we will see... off topic ...did anyone else find the orange potf tri-language cards at big lots ON SALE for 3.99 back in 98' ?? i went to all the big lots in and around tampa and scooped up around 50 of them ...great find !!:D

TRU's biggest problem, from a Star Wars perspective, is that they NEVER have any new figures when I go into a store (doesn't matter where it is, either).

I'm told that they restock overnight, and they open around 10 am, so I imagine all the scalpers get the figures at TRU. Contrast this to Target or Wal Mart, where they restock at various times, and are less susceptible to scalpers.

Kidhuman
04-18-2005, 10:59 AM
TRU is horrid, I havent stepped foot into one in almost 2 years. The last time I was there, they packed out about 20 cases of MM stuff from '02.

As for stocking, if you have a 24 hr Wal-Mart near you, hit them at like midnight to get the pallets of toys that are off the truck. Rip em open. I have, it works for great finds.

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
As for stocking, if you have a 24 hr Wal-Mart near you, hit them at like midnight to get the pallets of toys that are off the truck. Rip em open. I have, it works for great finds.

Yeah, but just watch out for the overnight stockers. Some of them, ain't too fond of people going through the stuff that is on the pallets.

jwmc1971
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
hmmmmm...............

jwmc1971
04-18-2005, 04:49 PM
off topic...wesley , are you going to try the new auction here ?? pm me if you have some place with pix...i might be able to find some people w/$$ besides me.:greedy:

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't think so. I know I might sound crazy, but I am not trying to make a profit off what I am getting rid of, just wanting to get rid of it all and not lose much on retail.

beckmen
04-18-2005, 05:35 PM
I gotta work up the gall to actually ask someone at WM when they are getting another shipment so I can be there...

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Beckmen, I don't know if I have already asked you, but where are you located?

cdatkins
04-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Wesley:

Interestingly, the TRU on Corridor G is the one TRU I have ever had any luck finding figures at. I remember being there back in November, 1997, just when they were putting out a case of the Ceremonial Luke wave. Good stuff!

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Wesley:

Interestingly, the TRU on Corridor G is the one TRU I have ever had any luck finding figures at. I remember being there back in November, 1997, just when they were putting out a case of the Ceremonial Luke wave. Good stuff!

Heck, you might have ran into me. I was a seasonal hire back in '97 around Christmas time.

beckmen
04-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Western New York.

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Western New York.

Oh ok. I, for some reason, was thinking that I had already asked you and that you were close to me.

cdatkins
04-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Heck, you might have ran into me. I was a seasonal hire back in '97 around Christmas time.

So, what's the scoop on TRU. Is my theory correct, that you stock overnight and scalpers get all the new figures when you open in the morning?

Jayspawn
04-19-2005, 10:30 AM
KB is non-existant in my state. The Buy 3 get 1 FREE online offer is a joke! You can go to Wal-Mart or Target and buy 4 figures right off the shelves and save money.

WesleySr
04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
They were sometimes real strict about stocking collectibles while the store was open. Most of the stocking (collectibles) was done before opening or after the stored closed.

I didn't work there but maybe a month and a half. My friend got me the job and when they started laying off the seasonal hires, I was one of the first to go. Alot of the other employees were upset because I was one of the best employees that they had. Several customers would call and speak with the managers and tell them how helpful I was. Several months later, my friend that got me the job told me why they let me go first. It was because I was a Star Wars collector, and one of the managers was afraid that I would go in the back and start opening cases and pulling out figures for myself. What a crock of s**t!!!

But back to your question. I have gotten employees to go in the back and bring out new cases of SW figures. It isn't very often that they do it, and they have to have room to put them out.