PDA

View Full Version : Episode III Souvenir Movie Guide

Ji'dai
04-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Has anyone pre-ordered the "Official" Episode III Souvenir Movie Guide? Apparently it's only available online from the publisher for $9.95 + S&H. The Guide is due to ship April 18.

http://www.idgentertainment.com/ep3guide/

I went ahead and ordered one since I have the other movie souvenir guides. My Star Wars (ANH) one isn't quite the same as the one sold in theatres back in '77 but it's close enough. No guide was published for Episode II.

I was wondering how high the shipping & handling would be, but it was only $3 for US priority mail.

Jedi Teacher
04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
I had been thinking about it. I don't have any other guides, but I'm kinda going all out for EIII. It's the last time (at least for me, I'm out after this :( )

I was going to wait until people got them and see if they thought it was worth it. I'm sure there will be plenty of them printed.

2-1B
04-14-2005, 01:49 AM
I got the one for E1 and was salty that they didn't do E2 (but I did buy the C2 souveneir book, that had some cool stuff in it).

I do plan on getting the new one but I figured I would wait until they actually start shipping before I order one.

stillakid
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I ordered one a month or two back. The only one that I remember getting at the theater itself was for ROTJ in '83. Still have it. :)

Ji'dai
04-16-2005, 01:26 PM
I can't remember if local theatres had the program guides for sale or if I just bought them at a bookstore. I didn't get the ESB one until several years later. I spied it hanging on the wall of a comic shop in Kentucky or Tennessee during a family vacation so I bought it.

jedibear
04-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I picked this up at C lll...

It's a good program, very thourough...one warning though....if you don't want some key visual moments in the movie spoiled for you stop reading when you get to the "Story" section. Certain key moments and some characters fates are vividly pictured, some with "progressive" pictures for those key moments. It's one thing to KNOW what happens (especially if you've haunted the spoiler boards or read the book/comic) but quite another to have it visually spelled out before you see it....be forewarned!

OC47150
04-28-2005, 01:46 PM
My copy arrived in the mail yesterday in horrible condition. I fired off an email to the company this morning complaining about the condition (C6 at best) and requesting a replacement.

It came wrapped in plastic. No cardboard support or anything.

Very disappointing.

But I do like the content of the guide. Lot of pix (spoilers, too!) I hadn't seen before.

Ji'dai
04-28-2005, 08:10 PM
My copy arrived in the mail yesterday in horrible condition. I fired off an email to the company this morning complaining about the condition (C6 at best) and requesting a replacement.

It came wrapped in plastic. No cardboard support or anything.

Very disappointing.

Dang, I was afraid this would happen. When I first heard they were publishing a ROTS theatre program I was really hoping on a newstand release so I could pick out a mint copy.

For $10 you'd think they'd at least ship them in a protective bubble mailer with support.

OC47150
04-29-2005, 08:11 AM
It was $12, including shipping, and yeah, you'd think.

I haven't heard back from IDG or Gentle Giant yet. I bought one of the exclusive sandtrooper busts at C3. When I went to put it together Monday night, I found the trigger finger on the spare arm was broken. I've contacted GG about a replacement arm.

tagmac
05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the warning about the pictures. Like with the comic adaptation, I'll just put it aside and not look at it until after I see the movie.

Or should I say IF I get it. I got an e-mail over 2 weeks ago saying that the mag would be shipping on April 18th, but I still have not received it yet. Is anyone else still waiting on theirs? If mine doesn't come in soon, I think I might call idg up to see what's going on, cuz they charged my credit card for it a while ago.

jedibear
05-03-2005, 09:42 PM
It was $12, including shipping, and yeah, you'd think.

I haven't heard back from IDG or Gentle Giant yet. I bought one of the exclusive sandtrooper busts at C3. When I went to put it together Monday night, I found the trigger finger on the spare arm was broken. I've contacted GG about a replacement arm.

Yeah...I had a broken part in mine too...the scope on the gun of the right hand was broken. It should be alright with a little superglue if I ever decide to display it holding that gun.
This is the 4th bust I've purchased and the first time I've had a problem. I did notice this bust didn't seem to be packed as carefully as the others I got.

I hope this is just an exception...I'd like to pick up a few busts in the future (especially if they do ones of the ROTS CloneTrooper and a movie-version of Grevious). Let us know if you hear back from them, OC47150...

OC47150
05-04-2005, 08:02 AM
I heard back from IDG today. They are mailing me a replacement issue, and I have to mail back the damaged issue to them. No big deal.

Yes, that 'shipping now' email is a little misleading. It was a good three weeks after receiving that email.

Ji'dai
05-09-2005, 08:37 PM
What e-mail did you use to contact IDG, OC? I received my Episode III Guide Saturday. The cheap plastic bag used to enclose the guide during shipment was ineffective in preventing damage to this collectible. My guide's cover has creases along the spine, a bent and damaged corner, and a small rip at the top.

This is a photo of my Ep3Guide and it's packaging:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/2005051002382331465.jpg

I am at a loss in understanding why IDG chose such shoddy packaging to ship this collectible souvenir guide. Since this is a one-shot collectible magazine and is only available via mail order directly from the publisher, I expected IDG to place a higher value on their product and a greater respect for their customers by shipping the Episode III guide in packaging that would provide adequate protection and help ensure the magazine arrived in good condition.

stillakid
05-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Mine was just fine.

OC47150
05-10-2005, 07:56 AM
What e-mail did you use to contact IDG, OC? I received my Episode III Guide Saturday. The cheap plastic bag used to enclose the guide during shipment was ineffective in preventing damage to this collectible. My guide's cover has creases along the spine, a bent and damaged corner, and a small rip at the top.

This is a photo of my Ep3Guide and it's packaging:
http://uploads.bardiir.de/2005051002382331465.jpg

I am at a loss in understanding why IDG chose such shoddy packaging to ship this collectible souvenir guide. Since this is a one-shot collectible magazine and is only available via mail order directly from the publisher, I expected IDG to place a higher value on their product and a greater respect for their customers by shipping the Episode III guide in packaging that would provide adequate protection and help ensure the magazine arrived in good condition.

I sent the email to this guy

kwashburn@idg-entertainment.com

Still haven't received my replacement issue, either. Should arrive any day now.

Yeah, it's beyond me, too, why IDG went to the expensive to print a very nice booklet but went the cheap way to mail it out.

OC47150
05-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Your issue is just about as bad as mine.

Ji'dai
05-19-2005, 06:35 PM
I received my Episode III Guide Saturday. The cheap plastic bag used to enclose the guide during shipment was ineffective in preventing damage to this collectible. My guide's cover has creases along the spine, a bent and damaged corner, and a small rip at the top.

I contacted IDG with my complaint last week and they sent me a replacement issue free of cost. It came bubble wrapped in a large manilla envelope and is in very nice condition. They also included a postage-paid return envelope so I can return my damaged issue. Thanks, IDG!

OC47150
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
My replacement issue arrived, too. It was sent the way the first one should've been sent.