PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

Pages : 1 [2]

pbarnard
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Although when you put two and two together, turns out Hera dies as a young woman according to the National Geographic (great Moore cameo)....so that sucks for her parents.....

I forgot the exact age they estimated mitochondrial Eve to be, but it can't get that bad because that means either there are more Cylon-human hybrids born because theoretically speaking, all of our mitochondria would have to be Cylon since they're maternally inherited.

Told you, we're all frakkin' toasters!

Qui-Long Gone
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Six just said "young woman," so there was no age given.....

I already new I was a toaster, I'm easy to turn on and off, complicated to fix, and generally overburn everything I touch.

OC47150
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Kara just disappearing like that was actually quite a shock to me. Up to that point, I knew what her role in the whole thing was, but still didn't know what she was. When she disappeared, then it was easy to figure out, and with no exposition.

Kara being a hard-drinking/killing/avenging angel is a little tough to swallow.

Is Lee alone?? Did the Admiral die? I know it was implied but Bill was talking about that cabin. You just saw the Raptor go down, but not crash.

I've had mixed feelings about this season. Too many episodes were unsatisfying. The first part of the finale and the two-part mutiny eps were my favorites.

And now that the show is over, I can openly say I've never really liked the idea of Tigh, Chief, Tory and Anders being Cylons. It was mind-blowing but Tigh's a tough old bird (I can't use the word I really want to use on the family-friendly board) :yes:. Making him a Cylon? Is that justice? I'm glad he kinda fought against the others in the last few eps.

JEDIpartner
03-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I love how a bunch of people who will accept Obi-Wan vanishing and coming back as a disembodied voice to guide Luke... and then later as an apparition have such a problem with Kara Thrace disappearing after her divine mission was fulfilled. :rolleyes:

Is Lee alone?? Did the Admiral die? I know it was implied but Bill was talking about that cabin. You just saw the Raptor go down, but not crash.

Lee is with a group of colonists. Adama buried Roslin and was talking about the sunrise/sunset at the end of the show. Didn't you see that part? That was the last thing they showed before cutting to "present day" Earth.

Qui-Long Gone
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I've had mixed feelings about this season. Too many episodes were unsatisfying. The first part of the finale and the two-part mutiny eps were my favorites.

I thought the season got mired in detail (like most sci-fi) but I agree that after the mutiny things picked up.

OC47150
03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
I love how a bunch of people who will accept Obi-Wan vanishing and coming back as a disembodied voice to guide Luke... and then later as an apparition have such a problem with Kara Thrace disappearing after her divine mission was fulfilled. :rolleyes:

Lee is with a group of colonists. Adama buried Roslin and was talking about the sunrise/sunset at the end of the show. Didn't you see that part? That was the last thing they showed before cutting to "present day" Earth.

But Obi-Wan wasn't tossing back shots at the Mos Eisley cantina like Starbuck was!

My VCR did miss the last few minutes. It's on again Friday night and I will see the missing few minutes.

JediTricks
03-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Obi-Wan becoming one with the Force was easy to buy because they gave us the idea that there was this mystical energy field doing all sorts of crazy stuff not an hour beforehand.

Kara, however, not only was a real person all along and then just, poof, she's an angel (with an angelmobile I guess), but there's also this whole much more obvious and direct and powerful mystical component which hadn't even existed in this show's universe until after they killed her off. Heck, if it weren't for Head-Six picking up Baltar, there would be no groundwork laid for it at all!

JEDIpartner
03-25-2009, 09:59 AM
But Obi-Wan wasn't tossing back shots at the Mos Eisley cantina like Starbuck was!

No... he was doing that on Coruscant. :yes:

pbarnard
03-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Kara, however, not only was a real person all along and then just, poof, she's an angel (with an angelmobile I guess), but there's also this whole much more obvious and direct and powerful mystical component which hadn't even existed in this show's universe until after they killed her off. Heck, if it weren't for Head-Six picking up Baltar, there would be no groundwork laid for it at all!

So the shared visions weren't part of it? Nor Razor? It wasn't there with Deana wanting the forbidden knowledge from her visions right before resurection? What about when Rosalyn was trying to track down the kamala extract to begin with, specifically pointing out that it was from the more mystical traditions of colonial religion?

It existed, they just intensified it and brought it to the forefront after they killed her off.

Darth Duranium
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM

They should have called the show "Fracked By An Angel"

Six, Baltar, and Kara shagged everything that moved!

sith_killer_99
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
The show was filled with religious overtones and mentions of angels, Baltar himself identified Kara as an angel, saying that Cylons were not the only ones who could come back from death. Angels are often associated with/as harbingers. This wasn't really out of left field.:rolleyes:

Blue2th
03-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Finally got to see the last episode.
I just loved the way this ended.
The prophecies were fulfilled.
Rosalyn did lead her people to Earth, or it was called Earth after the original Earth was nuked just before she died.
Starbuck was the cause of the demise of the Human Race. By leading them to this new Earth and them dying off, becoming extinct before the native primitive people evolved- into us.

I think they wrapped this series up spectacularly with an intense battle, and tieing up the loose ends.
The door was left open because the Toasters were set free.
Lots of things to ponder the next few days.
I find it hard to find a series as well done as this one from start to finish in my book.
They set the bar higher for a Sci-Fi series.

electricidad
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
This was the finest episode of the series for me. Everybody gets a send off--even if they don't get closure. Probably the three best ones for me were Kara, the Chief and Hera.

Kara: Perhaps the most controversial characters from the beginning (a few years ago, before I saw the miniseries, it did bother me the new Starbuck was a lady), Kara gets one of the more interesting send offs. An angel. Huh. To me it was nice that not every bit of her origin is explained--if you're savvy enough, you can guess her dad was the long lost Cylon, the artist Daniel. I figured there would be some bit in the last episode explaining this, and linking him to her return. Instead, we get an ambiguous ending where she's there one second, and gone the next. I liked this--it was so true to her development through the series. We're left to assume she's an angel. What better way to punctuate her character.

Chief: He's been my favorite character since season one. It was a shock to see him go from chief, to resistance leader, to secret Cylon, to simply a man looking for the peace he's not seen in his life. . .ever. I genuinely believe he's a man simply looking for peace, but constantly being drawn into spectacularly violent situations. And often overreacting (hitting Callie, strangling Tory, numerous attempts at strangling Baltar, etc.). So it's nice to see some actual closure.

Hera: I was pretty sure going into this episode she'd survive, but her folks would die saving her, and hand her over to Baltar and Six. To have Athena and Helo survive, and everybody lives happily ever after on prehistoric Earth, is kind of nice. I liked how the opera house vision came together. Nice.

Of course, I'm still confused why the admiral would want to be in a cabin away from everyone else forever--Lee is still around, and his best friend is still around. Perhaps the new Adama estate is within a day or two of walking distance to wherever everyone else ends up.

Caprica has promise. But I doubt I'll get as excited by that as I was by the last season of BSG.

Snowtrooper
03-31-2009, 07:13 PM
I liked the part where the final five were giving away the resurrection secret and how they would know everything about each other while they were doing it. You just knew the **** was going to hit the fan when Chief found out what Tori did. She got what she deserved. It was definitely a part that I thought wasn't going to be resolved.

The final five on the Galactica bridge coinciding with the final five at the opera house was neat too.

JediTricks
04-05-2009, 11:59 PM
So the shared visions weren't part of it? Nor Razor? It wasn't there with Deana wanting the forbidden knowledge from her visions right before resurection? What about when Rosalyn was trying to track down the kamala extract to begin with, specifically pointing out that it was from the more mystical traditions of colonial religion?

It existed, they just intensified it and brought it to the forefront after they killed her off.The visions and mystical colonial stuff was subtle, it let the viewer decide how much was real and how much was bunko and how much was from stuff having happened before. As you said, for this they intensified it, they ramped it way up and I argue it didn't fit.

They should have called the show "Fracked By An Angel"Awesome!

Maradona
04-06-2009, 01:01 PM
After digesting the final few episodes for awhile, I wonder if the piano player I originally thought was Kara's father might have actually been God. Given that music plays such a central role in the series, a supreme being who composes music to communicate to his angels seems plausible.

pbarnard
04-06-2009, 01:49 PM
After digesting the final few episodes for awhile, I wonder if the piano player I originally thought was Kara's father might have actually been God. Given that music plays such a central role in the series, a supreme being who composes music to communicate to his angels seems plausible.

Interesting...but putting our societies "associations" of God, God should be able to communicate directly with the angels with no consequences given their divine nature to begin with. Humans would need to have the music, and music could be the "angelic tongue".

However, it is more likely that it's just a version of Daniel and that unrealized angelic Kara was sent a message by the crossed over father to get her back on track. Easiest way though to solve it is to listen to the podcase commentary.

sith_killer_99
04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
BTW, does anyone else find it odd, how my signature takes on a whole new meaning given the revelations of the final season.:D

pbarnard
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Well going back and watching old episodes (i'm currently watching season 2.5 right now) takes on a lot of meaning, both pre and post New Caprica, pre and post final five, etc.

JediTricks
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
BTW, does anyone else find it odd, how my signature takes on a whole new meaning given the revelations of the final season.:D
"Retcon much?" ;)

JEDIpartner
05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
It's rather nifty... :love:

$279.98 list price. Currently at $177.99 at Amazon.com as a pre-order.

pbarnard
05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Hmmm, time to beg.

sith_killer_99
05-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I am showing Amazon prices as such:

DVD Box Set = $181.99
Blu-Ray Box Set = $244.99

My only reason for buying this would be to have it on Blu-Ray. I could off set the cost by selling or trading in my old DVD season box sets of BSG.:thumbsup:

pbarnard
05-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Well this comes out like 1-2 weeks after 4.5 is released. I'm just bitter they keep asking full season price for the half season boxs (the evens).

Darth Duranium
10-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Saw "The Plan" last night at a friend's place... highly recommended! BTW, no spoilers are below.

The first 15 minutes will knock your frackin' socks off, but it was all excellent! I will miss this show so much! In the television realm, BSG's take on science fiction is unsurpassed, IMO. A new high-water mark.

The Plan is strictly for BSG fans... unless you know the show quite well, you will find it utterly incomprehensible! There were a few characters I wish they'd spent less time on, but overall it was great!

It added yet another layer of complexity to the BSG universe by showing even more of the motivation of the villain behind the villains... and once again, you'll feel genuine sympathy for many of the Cylons whom are compelled to do terrible things. Nothing is straight-forward on BSG, except an open airlock.

It ain't easy being a toaster!

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 11:34 PM
That is literally the only positive statement I've heard made about The Plan. Everything else I've heard has ranged from mediocre to unwatchable.

I turned down a free copy of it, I'll just wait for it to air on Syfy and watch it HD, then complain about it probably. ;)

Maradona
11-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Saw The Plan this evening along with Caprica, both for the first time. The Plan was superior, even though it was a sort of BSG greatest hits with a sort of VH1 Behind the Music aspect to the events we all knew, if that makes sense. It's worth watching, if only to reminisce about the Friday nights this decade watching the best iteration of sci fi ever filmed.

I was surprised by the amount of nudity in both of these.

sith_killer_99
11-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I was surprised by the amount of nudity in both of these.

That's what "straight to DVD" will get you.:yes:

Just imagine if the entire series had run on HBO or Showtime instead of SyFy!:D

Too many way hot hotties to imagine!

Boomer/Athena/Sharon
Starbuck
Caprica (Six)
D'Anna
Dualla

:thumbsup:

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I think we all know the only nudity in that case would have been Col Tigh. *shudder*

DarthQuack
12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Gonna start watching this show on Bluray, really looking forward to it....I've heard good things. :)

Blue2th
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
:cool: BSG Blood and Chrome Concept Art:

http://blastr.com/2010/12/-concept-art-from-battles1s.php#3

Darth Duranium
12-22-2010, 06:14 PM
That looks like it may be a Rescue Raptor... very cool. Cheers, Blue.

OC47151
11-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Found a used copy of season 1 at the comic shop for a very reasonable price. I've been wanting re-watch the first few seasons for a long time now.

Might have to binge-watch!