PDA

View Full Version : Unanswered questions....

General_Grievous
04-13-2005, 11:12 PM
I've read the ROTS novel, and there are still some unanswered questions about the whole Saga...but I can only think of a few right now that haven't been answered.

WHAT SPECIES IS YODA????

WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF OBI-WAN CHANGING HIS NAME TO BEN??

and just as a side question....

WILL WE EVER SEE WHAT JAWAS AND TUSKEN RAIDERS LOOK LIKE UNDER THEIR ROBES AND MASKS??

Feel free to add more unanswered Saga questions...:)

Flyin_Solo
04-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Supposedly this is mentioned in the flick...but I know its in EU

Yoda is a Whill, this was actually addressed in a recent insider...one with chewbacca on the front.

I figure Obi-Wan changed his name to Ben so he could successfully hide, I mean Obi-Wan Kenobi is known throughout the galaxy as one of the greatest generals in the Clone Wars, you go calling yourself that, the empire would be ontop of you so fast.
Or Obi-Wan could be an adopted name for the Jedi order and he dropped it once the order died. In ANH he did mention that he went by that name long ago, implying it might have been a moniker(sp)

And lets see...all of 1-6 are made...so NO no seeing what jawas or sandpeople look like...unless they show it in the TV show...which is highly doubtful.

Jek Porky 2002
04-14-2005, 05:09 AM
I imagine Sand People to look just like humans, or have slightly differenrt to humans, like Eeth Koth for example.

And Jawas, I imagine them to look like...well...Mice! Like the thing in the cantina sequence, Kabe I think he's called.

Slicker
04-14-2005, 06:52 AM
I figure Obi-Wan changed his name to Ben so he could successfully hide, I mean Obi-Wan Kenobi is known throughout the galaxy as one of the greatest generals in the Clone Wars, you go calling yourself that, the empire would be ontop of you so fast.Then Ben Kenobi isn't the most clever of names. Why the hell would you keep the same last name? Why not change it to something completely different instead of keeping the same last name and a first name that sounds kinda like the name you gave up?:confused: That's just something that's kinda bugged me about the name change.

I kinda wish they'd have kept Yoda's originis a mystery. I mean why does EVERY character have to have a backstory? Keep his story a mystery and besides how many people are around that can really remember Yoda from his younger days to know about his past.;)

darko666
04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
WILL WE EVER SEE WHAT JAWAS AND TUSKEN RAIDERS LOOK LIKE UNDER THEIR ROBES AND MASKS??

if you have the "The Illustrated Star Wars Universe" by Ralph McQuarrie, go to page 45. it shows a Tusken Raider camp with sandpeople surrounding a fire and one of the raiders has his mask off. granted this is just concept art, but it gives you a glimpse of what they could like like. jawas are better off with the mystery of what they might look like.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Supposedly this is mentioned in the flick...but I know its in EU

Yoda is a Whill, this was actually addressed in a recent insider...one with chewbacca on the front.

I figure Obi-Wan changed his name to Ben so he could successfully hide, I mean Obi-Wan Kenobi is known throughout the galaxy as one of the greatest generals in the Clone Wars, you go calling yourself that, the empire would be ontop of you so fast.
Or Obi-Wan could be an adopted name for the Jedi order and he dropped it once the order died. In ANH he did mention that he went by that name long ago, implying it might have been a moniker(sp)

And lets see...all of 1-6 are made...so NO no seeing what jawas or sandpeople look like...unless they show it in the TV show...which is highly doubtful.
No, you must not know how to read. Someone asks a question about Yoda being a Whill, and they said "if you read that, then you've also heard that Yoda's master was so-and-so . . ." They then said that that's all bogus and that George only says Yoda is a frog. So NO, Yoda is NOT a Whill! Or if he is, it hasn't been revealed yet. Originally SW was going to come from the Journal of the Whills, and I think I read that the droids were going to tell the story so, maybe Whill was the early name for Droid?

sith_killer_99
04-14-2005, 12:25 PM
My question is, why does Obi-Wan lie to Luke, yet again:

"I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh before you were born."

Yet, Yoda clearly calls him Obi-Wan after the twins are born. :p

BanthaPoodoo
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Then Ben Kenobi isn't the most clever of names. Why the hell would you keep the same last name? Why not change it to something completely different instead of keeping the same last name and a first name that sounds kinda like the name you gave up?:confused: That's just something that's kinda bugged me about the name change.

He's trying to be like Clark Kent. Obviously people can't put 2 and 2 together with him wearing glasses as Clark & not as Superman, so he figures he'd try the same thing. Apparently he was right!!

Obi-Wan Kenobi = Master Jedi
Ben Kenobi = Old Hermit

Easy! :crazed: lol

Jargo
04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I believe in the script of ROS Yoda mentions to Obi-Wan something about the Whills implying that they are a different race to himself. Seeing he doesn't say anything about them being his people or another of his species or anything. I reckon it's fair to assume they're just some long lost or long forgotten species like the Kaminoans. Perhaps they were just ethereal beings who passed on their knowledge to others in some form of dream state. Or perhaps like the Jedi they held a huge library and depository of knowledge that was lost in some pre history war. with only a little remaining to carry on through with the Jedi order. I tyhink not really knowing Yodas race or species is cool. and not knowing exactly who the whills were is also cool.
Unanswered questions:
why does the death star have no hand rails at the top of bottomless chasms and a general lack of health and safety regulations.
Why the stormtroopers - crack terror troops with the finest military learning - were such crappy shots.
why Aunt beru is the only person who seems concerned about the ability to speak bocce.
Why R2 walks down the stairs in docking bay 94 when he can fly.
Why the debris doesn't rain down on the forest moon of endor when the second death star explodes.
Why the tow cables don't come unwound when wrapped round the legs of the AT-AT walkers when quite clearly they're just loosely wound and would just unravel rather than trip up the legs of the machine.
If technology in starships moves on so far over the years of the saga then why are the OT ships so clunky and why are astromech droids not also evolved technology. It's kinda like still using a 1950's vaccuum cleaner now when we could be using something like a Dyson or a Kirby.
Why in the Original trilogy does the galaxy seem so small when in the PT it seems so vast.
Why are there so many aquatic aliens on Tatooine seen wandering around in the blistering heat when we hear Jar Jar say quite clearly the sun plays havoc with his water loving skin.

I'm sure i have more.

Bobby Fett
04-15-2005, 01:21 AM
Why do stormtroopers wear armor that can't resist an anemic slingshot?
Why do tauntauns smell so bad on the inside?
Why is General Veers the only person not wearing cold weather gear?
How many Bothans died getting the Death Star plans?
Why is neither Death Star equipped with internally powered shields?
Why do TIE fighter pilots burn in deep space?
Did Jek Porkins think he was landing at an Imperial Dairy Queen?
How did Ewoks become the dominant species on their homeworld?
Why didn't Qui-Gon let Jar Jar get run over by the AAT?
Why didn't Obi-Wan slap Qui-Gon upside the head for not letting Jar Jar get run over by the AAT?
Why didn't R2-D2 fry C-3PO's circuits?
Why didn't Princess Leia wear a bra?
Who would win in a fair fight - Chewbacca or Worf?

My brain hurts.

DarthAngel
04-15-2005, 01:45 AM
I think it is cool to leave certain things a mystery, like the origins of Yoda, that way us die hard Star Wars fans can create our own back stories for him, there are a few things that still bother me.

1. Whatever happened to Syfo Dias? (think I spelt that wrong)

2. How can the Jedi be so strong with the force if they couldn't even sense the dark side in Palpi?

3. Who erased Kamino from the Archives?

4. Exactly who (or what) is Anakin's father?

5. Why did most Imperial Officers fear Vader in ESB, while in ANH and ROTJ the Imperial Officers kinda laughed behind Vader's back?

That's all I can think of for right now, I will post some more when I think of them.

chewie
04-15-2005, 03:38 AM
How come R2-D2 is never outfitted with a basic speaking vocabulator even though he is outfitted with all types of other gadgets? The droid is fourteen or so years old by the end of the prequel trilogy and thirty some odd years old by the start of A New Hope. Somewhere in between that time somebody should have gotten the sense to fit that everlasting astromech droid with the means to better communicate with the humans he hung around with.

Slicker
04-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Why do stormtroopers wear armor that can't resist an anemic slingshot?
Why do tauntauns smell so bad on the inside?
Why is General Veers the only person not wearing cold weather gear?
How many Bothans died getting the Death Star plans?
Why is neither Death Star equipped with internally powered shields?
Why do TIE fighter pilots burn in deep space?
Did Jek Porkins think he was landing at an Imperial Dairy Queen?
Why didn't Qui-Gon let Jar Jar get run over by the AAT?
Why didn't Obi-Wan slap Qui-Gon upside the head for not letting Jar Jar get run over by the AAT?
Why didn't R2-D2 fry C-3PO's circuits?
Why didn't Princess Leia wear a bra?
Who would win in a fair fight - Chewbacca or Worf?

My brain hurts.Out of all of those questions I can only answer the one about how many Bothans died. IF you go by EU (which SOTE isn't:p) then I think the number was 12. They died when Dash Rendar was attempting to shoot a new Imperial missle and it exploded amongst a group of Bothan Y-Wings killing 8 then 2 other Y-Wings were lost in the ensuing battle.:D

hango fett
04-15-2005, 09:46 AM
i have always wondered hat the complete galaxy map of all the know systems in SW would look like. worf would win the fight, Bobby Fett
HF

Slicker
04-15-2005, 08:58 PM
I've got a map that was in the Insider saved on my computer. It's a pretty high res map so if anybody wants me to email it to 'em PM me your email addy and I'll get it to ya.

darko666
04-15-2005, 10:39 PM

they have sticks with rocks tied to them.

Bobby Fett
04-15-2005, 11:12 PM
they have sticks with rocks tied to them.

That was so darned obvious. How did I overlook it? :D

vadersvette
04-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I think it is cool to leave certain things a mystery, like the origins of Yoda, that way us die hard Star Wars fans can create our own back stories for him, there are a few things that still bother me.

1. Whatever happened to Syfo Dias? (think I spelt that wrong)

2. How can the Jedi be so strong with the force if they couldn't even sense the dark side in Palpi?

3. Who erased Kamino from the Archives?

4. Exactly who (or what) is Anakin's father?

5. Why did most Imperial Officers fear Vader in ESB, while in ANH and ROTJ the Imperial Officers kinda laughed behind Vader's back?

That's all I can think of for right now, I will post some more when I think of them.

Answer to #1 and 3 according to the ROTS Visual Dictionary:
"Dooku's turn to the dark side began with the murder of Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, his former friend and confidant in the Order. Assuming control of the plans Sifo-Dyas had set in motion to create a clone army for the Republic, Dooku saw to it that all mention of the planet Kamino was erased from Jedi Archives."
#2 From what Yoda and Dooku say in AOTC "The dark side clouds everything." "The dark side has clouded their vision."
#4 (what I think) Tying in religion here: The Force concieved Anakin in Shmi's womb (God concieving Jesus in virgin Mary's womb)

Here's my questions reguarding the Stormtroopers:
-Why do the stormtroopers go from having sweet complex armor in ROTS to having very simple looking armor in the OT?
-Why do the Clone troopers have so many different colors and robes (ARC Troopers) to all being just plain white in the OT?
-Relating to that question--The scout trooper predesessor - the BOGA trooper - has camo armor, where as the scout has white armor in the jungle :confused:

hango fett
04-16-2005, 01:30 PM
another result of lucas acting before he thought, vette.
HF

Slicker
04-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Here's my questions reguarding the Stormtroopers:
1. Why do the stormtroopers go from having sweet complex armor in ROTS to having very simple looking armor in the OT?
2. Why do the Clone troopers have so many different colors and robes (ARC Troopers) to all being just plain white in the OT?
3. Relating to that question--The scout trooper predesessor - the BOGA trooper - has camo armor, where as the scout has white armor in the jungle :confused:I'll try and answer yours vette as they seem a little bit easier then the others.

On the first question you answered in the question itself. The ROTS Clone armor is complex. Over time you tend to figure out ways to streamline and make things easier and more effective (i.e. some tanks back in the day had up to 7 turrets now they have them down to 1 and they're more effective)

The second question could be answered by the officers now wearing the familiar Imperial uniforms of Ozzel, Piett and Veers fame. I realize they are all high ranking officers but that's the best I could do.;)

On the third one...the Imperials mess up once in a while.;)

vadersvette
04-18-2005, 11:02 PM
On the first question you answered in the question itself. The ROTS Clone armor is complex. Over time you tend to figure out ways to streamline and make things easier and more effective (i.e. some tanks back in the day had up to 7 turrets now they have them down to 1 and they're more effective)

Yeah I figured that, but why do they look so cool compaired to the Stormtroopers? :crazed: lol :D

jblodgett
04-22-2005, 10:02 AM
My biggest question has always been --

How long was Luke on Dagobah in ESB?
If you go by "movie time" it looks like he was there for about 2 or 3 days.

Certainly not long enough to become even close to Vader's skill - yet he hangs pretty tough with Vader on Bespin.

So I have always assumed that Luke would have had to have been on Bespin for six months or more - but it still seems strange that someone who had been "practicing" with the force for such a short period of time would be able to fight so well against Vader - who had been experiencing the force for fifty years.

Of course, I guess it is possible that Yoda - knowing who Darth Vader really was - always trained Luke for the sole purpose of defeating Vader.

Flyin_Solo
04-22-2005, 05:35 PM
On the third one...the Imperials mess up once in a while.;)

Well..we can relate this to the US screw ups in Wars post WW2 We sent our troops to Korea and Nam in Dark Green Forest BDU's...Yes they blend with Jungles...but the jungles are different at times...they blend differently.

So..the imperials figured the same..cut costs make everything in white...save on the dye, I mean c'mon what is the worse that could happen?

Its not like they would have to defend the shield generator on the day the teddy bears have their picnic (here is a verse from that song...I swear its about ewoks

"If you go down in the woods today,
You'd better not go alone.
It's lovely down in the woods today,
But safer to stay at home.

For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain because
Today's the day the Teddy Bears have their picnic.)

And no rebel group could stand up to the superior accuracy of a imperial trooper...hehe..either white or green.