PDA

View Full Version : Mace Windu (Force Combat)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2005, 06:35 PM
I finally got around to picking up this figure today, and boy, does it suck!!! Unless you are a completist like me, avoid this figure at all costs!

God, where do I start? His head is sculpted in such a way that he looks like he's getting ready to kiss somebody. It's not as bad as screaming for no reason, but it's still not good. His arms are on extremely weird shoulder joints, and they look horrible. His arms are way too long; his armspan is about a good centimeter longer than his height (and they should be equal). His elbow joints are similar to those on Obi-Wan and Anakin's left arms, but almost a little better. He also has wrist joints, which is good. He can move his waist, but it's kind of impeded by the action feature.

What is this action feature you may ask? Well I'll gladly tell you. Put the lightning shawl thing on his shoulders, squeeze his disturbingly short legs, and let her rip! He twists to his right and makes his arms go up, which should throw off the lightning (and does, most of the time). His lightsaber is probably the best Mace saber we've ever seen, which, sadly, is the only good thing about this figure.

Grade: D-

plasticfetish
04-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah... just from looking at it on the pegs I decided to skip this one. Which really sucks BTW, because we've been given a bunch of other really great Jedi figures, with good detail and articulation, but this one -- of a key character -- is such a dud.

I'd really hoped that this Mace figure was going to make up for past Mace figures that were so poorly done, but I'd say it looks to be yet another mess.

See you on clearance for $1 Mace. :(

JediTricks
04-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Damn, a centimeter too long? That translates to 18cm/7" scale of extra armspan, that's ridiculous, I can't picture an extra 3.5" on each arm, it's too awkward. This thing reminds me why I'm glad Saga broke me of being a completist, thanks for the info JabbaJohn.

plasticfetish
04-15-2005, 06:37 PM
This is a very Saga-esque figure.

Kidhuman
04-15-2005, 06:47 PM
When will they make a decent Mace? After the EP 1 preview, they have been doo-doo

plasticfetish
04-15-2005, 09:26 PM
At this point, I'd say two weeks from never.

This really could have been "the one" though. It's a bummer that it's not. Looking over the first 32 figures, I think I'd have to say that this is perhaps my least favorite. There's a few others that I'm in no big hurry to buy, but this is the only one that I've said "fat chance" to.

So let me get this straight JabbaJohnL, his gimmick is that he kind of tosses off a force poncho? "Ooh, get off me force stuff... get off me!"

sith_killer_99
04-16-2005, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the ROTS gimmick Mace. It looks like the EP1 Preview Mace still rules the #1 Mace figure slot.

Hasbro did such a great job with all the other Jedi, with a few exceptions. I still hate action features, as a result all the action feature figures come in below par in my book. Which means I am still looking for a good Anakin and Obi-Wan for ROTS. You would think if Hasbro was going to do 2 of each figure they would give us one kick butt articulated figure without action features. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-16-2005, 11:11 AM
At this point, I'd say two weeks from never.

This really could have been "the one" though. It's a bummer that it's not. Looking over the first 32 figures, I think I'd have to say that this is perhaps my least favorite. There's a few others that I'm in no big hurry to buy, but this is the only one that I've said "fat chance" to.

So let me get this straight JabbaJohnL, his gimmick is that he kind of tosses off a force poncho? "Ooh, get off me force stuff... get off me!"
Yeah, it's like a blanket with a hole for his head that you put on his shoulders, and he twists to his right, throws up his arms, and it flies off. Too bad Luke didn't know you could use this trick against lightning. :rolleyes: If you get rid of the lightning then it's just another attack feature.

His arms, when fully extended, go down to right above his knees. If this figure had shorter arms and a different headsculpt, then we'd have something to talk about. I take back what I said about his legs being too short - they're actually the correct length, but the freaky arms make them look weird. It's also odd since he has no cloak, but every single picture I've seen of Mace fighting in ROTS has his cloak on (same with Kit Fisto).

I just want a cloaked Mace that can hold his saber to Jango's neck. Is that too much to ask, for God's sake???

Devo
04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
I caved and bought this because I had struck upon the idea of putting Saga pilot Obi-wan's cloth robe on him to disguise the ridiculous shoulder articulation while still reaping the benefits of it. As long as you don't put his arms by his side they don't appear too long. The face sculpt is still wierd, I'm not sure what they were going for with it, a mid-sabre-swing look of concentration?? A bit obscure and the risk doesn't really pay off. I did find myself pleasantly surprised by, of all things, the action feature. It actually allows for some great lightsaber poses.

So, not as bad as I thought but still too far short of expectations for a main character figure. Come on Hasbro

.....actually you know what? I've got the robe on him and have 'bluetacked'* it together in places so it appears to hang more realistically, and I have him posed with his head looking sideways along his shoulder with his saber held up high in a two handed grip ready to strike - and it looks great! Seriously, you can't see the ugly articulation, you can't tell his arms are too long (in fact the overlongness may be integral to the pose) and even the ugly face has found its context. For the time being this Windu suits me fine.

* would like to hear suggestions on an alternative. Bluetack isn't foolproof for this kind of application, its visible and it tends to leave its residue on the cloth when removed which is difficult or impossible to get rid of.

mabudonicus
04-28-2005, 03:39 PM
If I may comment quickly- about march 15th or so I figured I'd better check the local stores to see if any of the rumoured "pre-sell" may be happening here..
The final stop on my tour I found a whole empty section with pegs reading "SW-Episode 3 Basic fig." there must have been over 60 empty pegs- EXCEPT for one figure, right in the centre of the bare wall....

It was this Mace- and from even 10 feet away I saw the shoulders.. then I saw the FACE...

So needless to say, I thought as many in this thread do and said goodbye to MR.Windu

See you on clearance for $1 Mace.
LMAO that's exactly what I thought when I saw him, good one indeed :beard:

Sam Jackson should get on this......

Hellboy
04-29-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm glad I decided to pass on this figure and I doubt I'll even pick it up on clearance. :dis: