PDA

View Full Version : Super Deformed @ K-Mart: Disappointing

ronhudy
04-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Since it's "News" on the front page, I gotta put my two cents in:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they took 4 of the POTJ palm talkers that were previously released, all characters from the original trilogy, and put them into "Revenge of the Sith" boxes. What the hell is that all about?! Talk about lame! I rarely go to K-mart, but when I did last week, I saw these, and thought "Cool...let's see what they have." But low and behold, not one "Revenge of the Sith" character. YES, I know these characters DO appear in Episode III, but why couldn't they put out at least a Grievous, or maybe one other new character?! I'm not really a hard-up collector anymore, and not really into these, but my kids have a few of the POTJ ones, and my older son, who is now a collector, would have flipped for a Grievous one...

I guess I can hope they'll have another wave, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks Again Hasbro...and way to give K-mart (an already troubled company) the lamest "exclusive" ever!

Ji'dai
04-16-2005, 12:53 PM
K-Mart would've been better off with a figure exclusive. I passed on the palm talkers a few years ago when they were first released. Well, actually I bought them and then later returned them. My K-Mart is selling these things for $9.99 each so I expect to see them on shelves for quite some time.

The K-Mart super center here has been a disappointment so far. During the OTC release the store was the first to get in new figures but now they seem to want to avoid doing any large Episode III product display. Maybe I'll see more stuff there in May. But with K-Mart figure prices at 6.99 they won't be getting my business unless I find something there that's really hard to find.

ronhudy
04-16-2005, 01:17 PM
K-Mart would've been better off with a figure exclusive. I passed on the palm talkers a few years ago when they were first released. Well, actually I bought them and then later returned them. My K-Mart is selling these things for $9.99 each so I expect to see them on shelves for quite some time.

The K-Mart super center here has been a disappointment so far. During the OTC release the store was the first to get in new figures but now they seem to want to avoid doing any large Episode III product display. Maybe I'll see more stuff there in May. But with K-Mart figure prices at 6.99 they won't be getting my business unless I find something there that's really hard to find.

Exactly...with figures almost two dollars more than anywhere else, I don't know why anyone would shop there. Have they even had any toy sales yet? I don't recall seeing anything...and same thing at my K-mart - very little ROTS stuff and not much of a display. I always see so much damage to their carded figures as well.

I first bought a few of the palm talkers as novelty items for my kids, and they got a couple of Japanese ones the first time around (they visit Japan anually). If they had a Grievous one or Palpy one, I'd probably get it.

Bantha274
04-16-2005, 02:31 PM
K-Mart is the forgotten granddaddy of Wal-Mart, left to die alone in a puddle of it's own urine.:dead:

Kinda sad really.

jwmc1971
04-16-2005, 04:58 PM
MMMMMMMM...........urine .....:crazed:

Mad Slanted Powers
04-16-2005, 06:56 PM
It appears the K-Mart here in Bellingham, WA has no basic figures other than preview figures. I did see some of those superdeformed things, a couple deluxe figures, lightsabers, Legos and games. No basic figures though, unless they put them in some crazy spot I've yet to see.

Ji'dai
04-16-2005, 07:27 PM
...with figures almost two dollars more than anywhere else, I don't know why anyone would shop there. Have they even had any toy sales yet?

K-Mart did have a circular last week advertising 2 basic figures for $11. Other SW items were on sale with a varying percentage-off. My local store's poor selection notwithstanding, KM's sale prices on basic figs still aren't competitive with WM. TRU (fully re-stocked with #1-32 as of Friday) have raised their prices back to 5.99. So they are no longer competitive with WM either.

MaquisWarrior
04-16-2005, 11:44 PM
HA HA! My local K-Mart di have tons of EP3 stuff...SADLY, I already had these figures C3PO, Chewie, DORKU, General RoachBoy from the cartoon, all the Sneak preview Wookies and Ships. That and all the ligthsabers and blasters you would want (not) and the Playskool stuff.

WesleySr
04-17-2005, 04:46 AM
I am going to have to defend K-Mart. If it wasn't for them, I would still be searching for 2 Red Royal Guards. Not only that, but I got them the week after MM when K-Mart had their figures on sale for 2 for $11.

Fluke Skywalker
04-17-2005, 05:03 AM
I haven't found anything to buy at K-Mart since last February. They really got stuck with the worst of the worst in terms of "Exclusives", at least from the stand point of bringing in collectors. I don't see anyone standing outside K-Mart at 7 AM for these things. :ermm:

JediTricks
04-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I saw these last week, they're pretty crummy, but at least 3PO isn't green this time.

darko666
04-17-2005, 04:34 PM
But low and behold, not one "Revenge of the Sith" character. YES, I know these characters DO appear in Episode III, but why couldn't they put out at least a Grievous, or maybe one other new character?!

i'm surprised they didn't make a Grievous, Sidious or at least an Anakin. hey, maybe with the success of these, they will make... ah nevermind.

bobafrett
04-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I saw these last week, they're pretty crummy, but at least 3PO isn't green this time.

I picked up the Vader and the 3PO, but I have the six that were released. The 3PO I picked up because the one I originally bought looked like he did when Jabba knocked him down, and left this green goop on 3PO. I thought it had turned green because I had stored him wrong. :cry: But JT, you say that your 3PO palm talker is also green?

JediTricks
04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
The entire first run of US Palm Talkers' C-3PO were green, factory issue, it was corrected later. Here's a photo of both versions from the ssg database listing (http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=28609): http://systems.figures.com/archives/images/16/52616.jpg

Clonetrooper1131
04-18-2005, 08:39 PM
I didn't understand why there was no ROTS characters either. I thought there would be atleast a General Grievous or a Clone Trooper of some sort.

When I first saw them I had thought maybe the ROTS characters were all taken. But they weren't, it was mostly the ROTJ characters.

Disapointing... Most disapointing..

But then again, I don't hold Kmart too high on my list for quality.

JediTricks
04-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Kmart's a sucker for taking these, they're the 2nd rehash of those Japanese ones minus Boba Fett and the Stormtrooper (though I bet Hasbro could have just retooled the Stormtrooper's mold to be an ROTS Clone Trooper), basically you're just buying them because their they're something you've never seen before or you're a completist for oddball stuff and care about packaging variations.

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Kmart's a sucker for taking these, they're the 2nd rehash of those Japanese ones minus Boba Fett and the Stormtrooper (though I bet Hasbro could have just retooled the Stormtrooper's mold to be an ROTS Clone Trooper), basically you're just buying them because their they're something you've never seen before or you're a completist for oddball stuff and care about packaging variations.

And six years ago, I would have been one of the suckers buying them. :D

Jayspawn
04-18-2005, 10:23 PM
I bought the Chewbacca Palmtalker (what they really are) years ago. I really like it. I regret not getting the Stormtrooper or Boba Fett when I had the chance.

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 09:19 PM
What in the name of the Force is this?!? Found this while batching photos from Steve's C3 preview shots...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=10105&cat=3812&page=3
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=10106&cat=3812&page=3

They don't appear to be the same Super Deformed that Kmart got, and they're DAMN creepy IMO.

EDIT: The next photo in the series suggests they're Burger King promos, which fits with the art we saw for those a few months back. There are several more photos of these in the series, so check 'em out if you like this sort of thing.

bobafrett
04-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I was just going to say the Burger king promotions, from the drawings I saw posted several months ago. I will probably get the promo items, just as lonmg as I don't have to eat any of the food to get them. I just lost 11 1/2 pounds and I don't want to gain it back.