PDA

View Full Version : 12" General Grievous

darko666
04-16-2005, 03:57 PM
from what i have seen in the CW cartoons and pictures, General Grievous is looking to be an awesome character in the movie. kids seem to be buying everything Greivous, as i have seen him to be the one character that is rarely seen in stores.
now i recently purchased the 12" figure and found out that he was meant to stay in his box.

1. once his knee and ankle joints become loose, he doesn't stand very well. i have to position him next to something so he doesn't fall over.

2. his head is not articulated enough. he should be able to turn his head in all directions instead of just left to right.

3. his arms are horrible. they don't look good when they are split apart, and they dont' even snap back together to make one arm. and the fact that his arms are only held in by being snapped in a ball joint, they are just pathetic. they come loose when moving his arms around.

4. his hands are flimsy and are not capable of holding a lightsaber. they should have been made of durable plastic and not bendy rubber. the sabers just rest in his hands(if your lucky). there is no chance of making him look cool without his sabers.

5. the cape is cool, but should have been made to cover up the front of the figure, so you couldn't see his body.

6. the saber blades can be detached from the hilt, but there is no attachment to hang the hilts on his waist.

overall, i would not take this figure out of the box, he looks better in it. i give this figure a rating of 6 out of 10 out of the box and 8 out of 10 in the box.

eshulmire
04-17-2005, 04:13 AM
i agree the figure pretty much sucks .

plasticfetish
04-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, that's a bummer... that it's such an un-fun toy. (As much of a bummer as the fact that I haven't seen one of these since MM.) I've been buying the "bad guy" -- Maul, Dooku -- from each prequel movie to keep boxed up anyway, so I suppose I won't change for this one.

Thanks for the warning darko666.

Turbowars
04-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Way to go hasbro, seem as if they put too much thought in the packaging once again.

JediTricks
04-17-2005, 04:12 PM
The only thing I'd add to that review is that the paint on 12" Grievous is crappy and almost non-existant, the mouth is missing a paint app for corn's sake!

Oh, and the box and tray insert are a nightmare to open and release the figure from.

Yet even with all that, I don't regret buying this figure, only the Force Battlers Grievous.

Hellboy
04-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I have to agree with everything negative said about this figure especially JT's comments regarding the paint. I actually do regret my purchase and this figure along with the 12" Clone Trooper will be the last SW 12" figures I buy. I'm tired of being disappointed with this line so I've decided not to support it anymore. :dis:

plasticfetish
04-20-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm tired of being disappointed with this line so I've decided not to support it anymore. :dis:Hmmm. That's grim, I suppose I'm in no hurry to find this one at all now. Hellboy, slightly off topic, but have you found Shaak Ti or Barriss Offee yet? Just curious. I got Shaak Ti today and she looks great packaged. (I'm not sure if I'll open her up.)

Hellboy
04-20-2005, 12:42 AM
No I haven't seen them in my area yet PF. Based on the pictures I've seen they both look good but I think I'm still going to pass. I'm sure they look good packaged too but I open my 12" figures and have pretty much had my fill of disappointments such as bad paint apps (Grievous), figures that can't hold their weapons (Clone Trooper) and poor distribution of figures I really wanted (Biker Scout and Plo Koon.) I'd rather devote more money towards Kotobukiya statues and my 3 3/4 collection at this point.

ronhudy
04-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I agree 100% with the review, although I'd give it about a 4 out of 10. 6 is too generous. A figure that can't even stand up on it's own loses 2 points right off the bat. Also, another 2 points off simply due to the fact that they created a cool cyborg character who's arms split to form 4 lightsaber wielding arms - but then CAN'T EVEN HOLD THEM! Another 2 points for the bad paint job.

I'll give him an 8 in the box.

darko666
04-20-2005, 06:16 PM
i knew i forgot to add the paint job to this review. i have to agree about it being bad, in fact it doesn't do this figure any justice at all. it's just a bland colored figure.

ronhundy: the reason i gave the figure a 6(out of the box), is mainly because i have high hopes for Grievous in the movie, so i let him slide a little bit in the review score. but now that i saw your views on it, i can agree with you.

El Chuxter
04-20-2005, 06:40 PM
It seems they're taking shortcuts with the Grievous figures, knowing that people will buy them anyway. He looks to be the weakest design of the Galactic Heroes line, too, and he's the only Force Battler who rates less than an 8 (unless that's a negative 8).

TCC-1972
04-22-2005, 06:55 AM
My friend bought the 12" Grievous but gave it to me because it sucked so bad. I had to do a major custom job on it. I used a ball joint for the neck,gundam figure ball joints for the arms and I re-worked the hips. Now he stands up in all kinds of cool poses but I still can't figure out how to get him to hold his lightsabers.

The paint chipped right off mine. Like kindergarten paint.

Overall a sucky figure but it can be fixed up a little.

Dark Helmet
05-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Hmmm. That's grim, I suppose I'm in no hurry to find this one at all now. Hellboy, slightly off topic, but have you found Shaak Ti or Barriss Offee yet? Just curious. I got Shaak Ti today and she looks great packaged. (I'm not sure if I'll open her up.)

I believe that GG was meant to stay in the box...darko said it is flimsy to pose. No need for me to buy 2. One to keep and 1 to open. I do have Shaak and Barriss unopened though plasticfetish but I do agree, that in the box, Shaak and Barriss look goog. I'd like to see luminara (sp.) in a 12" figure. You'd know plastic since you are the man, any word?

plasticfetish
05-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Eh... I'm only "a" man... but from what I read, the 12" line seems to be getting ready for a big big dry spell. This may be the end for a while -- but I suppose it all depends on how well these ROTS 12" figures do.

Dark Helmet
05-15-2005, 07:22 AM
Eh... I'm only "a" man... but from what I read, the 12" line seems to be getting ready for a big big dry spell. This may be the end for a while -- but I suppose it all depends on how well these ROTS 12" figures do.

Why the dry spell? Waiting until EpIII leaves the theaters and x-mas time comes around?

JediTricks
05-15-2005, 07:05 PM
There's nothing on tap for 12" this year at all that isn't already in stores, the line isn't doing that well and just suffered a long dry spell already between Saga and the OTC line's 12" entries... to be honest, I still can't figure out how the line survived this long.

sith_killer_99
05-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I seldom buy the 12 inch stuff, I just don't like Hasbro's 12 inch figures that well. However, there are a few exceptions. For EPIII, that appears to be Grevious.

I bought a General Grevious at my local AAFES this weekend on sale for $14.99! :D

Phantom-like Menace
05-18-2005, 01:19 AM
When I first opened the general, I was severely disappointed for two of the previously mentioned reasons, and one unmentioned reason. Fresh out of the package, his leg joints were too weak to allow the figure to stand, so he spent the entire first day I had him falling over and taking out scores of my other figures. I also found he would be completely unable to hold his lightsabers. Finally, Grievous is supposed to have taken his lightsabers from several Jedi, but each of the lightsaber hilts he comes with look exactly alike.

I am no stranger to finding the figure can't carry his weapons, so I always have the clear rubber bands handy, and I tied the lightsabers to his hands. As for the fact that his legs want to fold up so badly, I went ahead and allowed him to do just that if he wanted to. I have him down on one knee blocking a downward strike from Qui-Gon, the only other 12" Star Wars figure I have.

Down on one knee, with one arm split to hold two 'sabers and the other arm holding a third, it doesn't look too bad. In fact, my biggest complaint about their fight is with Qui-Gon's lack of elbow articulation. Now I am only somewhat upset with General Grievous.

mlcallanta
05-23-2005, 10:39 AM
If anyone would like to sell their 12" Grievous, I'd gladly buy it :)
Kindly email me with your price, thanks!
mlcallanta@yahoo.com

Mardon