PDA

View Full Version : Musical questions discussed?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Music is the universal language, right? Does that make us all bilingual, then? Oh well. There are some issues that occur in songs that are just dying for attention. Now, we've discussed wrong lyrics and good/bad songs, but what about these types?

1. Who are you more impressed with: The Proclaimers or Vanessa Carlton? In their song "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)," The Proclaimers say they'll walk 500 miles, and then 500 more, while Ms. Carlton's "1000 Miles" is just the same total. Is the larger one better, or the two halves?

2. If the coach had put in John Fogerty to play second base instead of centerfield, would he have complained?

Just curious... :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
04-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Well, we all know playing outfiled is alot different than playing second base. Range is greater and speed is a necessity in the poutfield. So yes, if he is a centerfielder, he would have complained if he played second base.

ANd the first one, they both are morons, get a license and drive the 1000 miles, its quicker.

mabudonicus
04-17-2005, 06:21 AM
I'm still wondering whether the Chicago song "25 or 6-4" is a trick question or what??
I could never figure that out....

And (I'll need some help recalling the "artist" and title) where the lyrics say "If I had wings I would do anything" and "If I could fly I would give you the sky" (again, song title escapes me, it's a sort of sound-track-ey song) Does this mean that without wings or the ability to fly, buddy iusn't going to do ANYTHING for the girl he is trying to impress?? I mean, the song in question is some sort of "relationship pop" song but it's all about how the singer can't do a bunch of impossible stuff and I don't recall it ever saying what the guy would do.....

Great topic, BCJ!!! :beard: !!!

Kidhuman
04-17-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm still wondering whether the Chicago song "25 or 6-4" is a trick question or what??
I could never figure that out....

The story behind 25 or 6 to 4.

They were in the studio recording and needed to know what time it was. As most musicians they were in the bag at the time. When one of them asked what time it was, another looked at the clock and couldnt tell the difference between the minute hand and the second hand, so he replied it either 25, or 6 to 4. Seriuosly that is the story.

darko666
04-17-2005, 12:22 PM
And (I'll need some help recalling the "artist" and title) where the lyrics say "If I had wings I would do anything" and "If I could fly I would give you the sky" (again, song title escapes me, it's a sort of sound-track-ey song)

is this the band: http://www.tyketto.com/albums/lyrics/d_c_e/wings.htm

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2005, 03:44 PM
They were in the studio recording and needed to know what time it was. Does anybody know what time it is? Does anybody really care (about time)? Oh no...

How many other countries do you think Van Halen did not consider when naming "Panama"? I personally think that "Uraguay" would've been just as good, if not better:

"Ur-a-guay,
Ur-a-guay-guay.
Ur-a-guay,
Ur-a-guay-guay-ay-ay-ayay..."

El Chuxter
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm more impressed with Vanessa Carlton because she's a lot cuter.

LusiferSam
04-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I'll go with the Proclaimers because I've heard their song and I like a good thick Scottish accent. And for Mr. Fogerty I have no clue weather second base would have been expectable. I can tell you it does rhyme as nicely.

And I'd a couple of my own.
Bob Dylan told us that the answer is blowing in the wind. What if you live in a place the wind rarely blows? Do you not hear the answer? And what if you hear the wind but don't get the language (like its a Canadian wind but only speaks French), then what?

What is a heart shaped box? And does someone get locked in one for weeks?

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm more impressed with Vanessa Carlton because she's a lot cuter.
And she puts on a hell of a show. I'm more impressed with her feat. By going 500 miles and THEN 500 more, they're implying they took a break to eat, sleep, or squeegee their glasses. Vanessa did her 1000 miles in one shot (so she could just see me tonite. Or not.).

mabudonicus
04-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Actually, I wanna know, have YOU ever seen the rain???

And the Clash ;) song "should I stay or should I go??" always bugged me... "If I stay there will be trouble/ if I go it will be double"... heck, sounds like there's less trouble if he just sticks around... to the tune of DOUBLE, even......

And the song "LOLA", a tune by the Kinks ;) .... so, at the end, IS "Lola" a man or a woman or what??? I could never figure that one out either

El Chuxter
04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
The Kinks' "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" really bothered me, especially since it's by the Clash. :p

mabudonicus
04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Whatchoo talkin bout Chux :confused: ???????????

LusiferSam
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Lola was a man. Last verse is all you need.
"But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola"

Kidhuman
04-19-2005, 01:24 AM
I wanna know who taught Def Leopard how to speak...

CaptainSolo1138
04-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Where, exactly, is the love? Maybe if the Black Eyed Peas found out they'd quit playing that song on the radio. Maybe we should start a nationwide man(woman?)hunt for "the love".

El Chuxter
04-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Who put the bomp in the bomp-sha-bomp-bomp?

LusiferSam
04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Who put the bomp in the bomp-sha-bomp-bomp?
Now that's one I'd like to know. That guy needs an *** kicking. Du-Wop ruined most 50's rock 'n roll (not that there aren't some great du-wop songs).

mabudonicus
04-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Where, exactly, is the love?
What's love got to do, got to do with it???

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2005, 08:42 AM
What's love got to do, got to do with it???
And, what is lo-oooo-ooo-oo-o-ove any-way? Does an-y-body love an-y-body anyway?

Kidhuman
04-20-2005, 09:04 AM
WHo wrote the book of love and why do fools fall in love?

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2005, 01:01 PM
And just to answer that universal question, I let the damn dogs out.
Case closed.

El Chuxter
04-20-2005, 01:09 PM
WHo wrote the book of love...?

Velvet. It's as simple as that. lol

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2005, 07:09 PM
And just to answer that universal question, I let the damn dogs out.
Case closed.Was that you who left the cake out in the rain, too? 'Cause it took so long to bake it... :cry: Oh, noooooo!

Let's use some musical algebra:
If Nothing Compares to U (nothing < U), and I Would Die For U (4U), knowing that U Got the Look (U + look), and that I should Take Me With U (me + U), what does U equal, when U.R. so beautiful 2me? :confused:

Kidhuman
04-21-2005, 01:55 AM
U= You've lost that loving feeling..

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Can The Eagles really be taken seriously if they "take it to the limit, one more time" six times?!?

mabudonicus
06-15-2005, 10:42 AM
LOL way to revive this on a high-note BCJ- I don't think one can take the Eagles seriously either way ;)

I was actually wondering recently if "bustin'" is the ONLY thing that makes Ray Parker jr. "feel good", since it's been a while :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2005, 11:12 AM
What if you're not surprised at what you find when you're catfish grabblin' with these grabblin' friends of mine?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
When Madonna was in her insert-Spanish-lyric-here phase, why did she write a song about Marlo Thomas, star of the TV show "That Girl?"

Did we ever find out where Joe DiMaggio actually went (woo hoo hoo) just before he left and [had] gone away (hey hey hey)?

Did Queen's narrator in "Bohemian Rhapsody" ever ask for a mental examination to test him for manic depression and bipolar disease? It sounded like he was in need of medication and counseling, not the death penalty.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
How would a Bread reunion tour be received in this anti-carb diet society?

Did the members of Frankie Goes to Hollywood ask the founders of Century 21 how anticlimatic their names would be when they reached those times?

Could a Missing Persons/Dead Milkmen tour ever be located?

2-1B
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
if We didn't start the fire...then who did ? :confused:

Rogue II
12-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Even if you didn't start the fire, why did you have to start that horrible ringing in my head?

2-1B
12-04-2006, 07:24 AM
just like The Fire, The Ringing has always been ringing since the world's been turning.

Darth Jax
12-04-2006, 08:26 AM
is it really The End (Doors), The Middle (Jimmy Eat World), or are the Carpenters correct and We've Only Just Begun?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
why do fools fall in love?Because they're FOOLS!

In the Victoria Williams song "Crazy Mary" (also covered by Pearl Jam), she sings, "Take a bottle drink it down, pass it around". What's the point of passing it around if you already drank it down?

mabudonicus
12-07-2006, 10:57 AM
man MSP, I always HATED that Pearl Jam cover version (not like I've heard the original) just how they seemed to think that line was BRILLIANT and so the vocal treatment on it was really over the top, that whole "pass it araouaounwun" when it was already dranken down-

And in the silverchair song (name esacpes me) where there are 2 awful lyrics, tthe one being "The only way to get there is to go straight down" which was just stupid to me and then "the water out of the tap is VERY hard to drink"

Damn I can't even think of a question.. sorry, excuse this please :beard:Isobaws&

Rogue II
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
A couple questoins from Def Leppard: When you make love, do you look in the mirror? and Do you wanna get rocked?

2-1B
12-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Rogue 2,
Why stop there ? Make it a Def Lep Hat Trick with Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad?

I love this line from the song, it's brilliant, "and to the girl I gotta have - I gotta have you, baby." lol

Pearl Jam...the vocal treatment on it was really over the top

Couldn't one say that about....every....Pearl Jam song ? lol

And in the silverchair song (name esacpes me) where there are 2 awful lyrics, tthe one being "The only way to get there is to go straight down" which was just stupid to me and then "the water out of the tap is VERY hard to drink"

Oh man, is that the same one where they yell (with what seems like a weird vocal effect) "FAT BOY ! FAT BOY !"

Mad Slanted Powers
12-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Speaking of Def Leppard, why was the song "On Through The Night" not on the album of that name, but on the next album High 'N' Dry? This is not the only instance of this. Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" was not on Houses of the Holy, but the next album Physical Graffiti. PJ Harvey's "Uh Huh Her" was not on Uh Huh Her. A version of it did appear on an iTunes Originals release. On there, she explained that it didn't fit with the rest of the album, and that she probably won't ever release it. She kind of liked the idea of having some songs that are only done live. There is also a live version of it on her DVD.

I know there are other examples of this. I came across one recently, but can't recall what it was.

Edit - The Silverchair song is called "Tomorrow". I like it and most of that album.

Rogue II
12-07-2006, 10:15 PM
I was going for the hat trick, but as I was making the post, "Let's Get Rocked" was suddenly lodged in my head and I couldn't think of any other Def Leppard songs. Don't worry, I'm ok now.

2-1B
12-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Speaking of Def Leppard, why was the song "On Through The Night" not on the album of that name, but on the next album High 'N' Dry?

I always wondered that, too !

I was going for the hat trick, but as I was making the post, "Let's Get Rocked" was suddenly lodged in my head and I couldn't think of any other Def Leppard songs. Don't worry, I'm ok now.

Gee, I hope you still had room in your head for Our Country. lol

El Chuxter
12-07-2006, 10:54 PM
On that subject, MSP, "Smash It Up" appears on the Batman Forever soundtrack, not the Offspring album Smash.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
In "I Saw Her Standing There," the Beatles sing:
"She was just seventeen
You know what I mean"
And I think that's clear: she is older than 16 but not yet 18. But after listening to the last part of the lyric, I am confused. I guess I don't know what Paul meant...

In today's world, would a cake left out in the rain in MacArthur Park involve a bomb squad or homeland security crew, like an unattended bag at an airport?

TeeEye7
03-24-2008, 08:53 PM
In today's world, would a cake left out in the rain in MacArthur Park involve a bomb squad or homeland security crew, like an unattended bag at an airport?

Yes, it would.

And an unattended box of donuts would end up in a melee over "firsts" by the responders. ;)

jjreason
03-24-2008, 11:32 PM
And (I'll need some help recalling the "artist" and title) where the lyrics say "If I had wings I would do anything" and "If I could fly I would give you the sky" (again, song title escapes me, it's a sort of sound-track-ey song) Does this mean that without wings or the ability to fly, buddy iusn't going to do ANYTHING for the girl he is trying to impress?? I mean, the song in question is some sort of "relationship pop" song but it's all about how the singer can't do a bunch of impossible stuff and I don't recall it ever saying what the guy would do.....

Great topic, BCJ!!! :beard: !!!

Mabs - your track in question here is by Honeymoon Suite - Canadian content hence all the blank stares over the last 4 pages or so. lol

The question itself (and also the title of the song, if I'm not mistaken) is "What does it take"(?). I still don't know the answer.

Prince's question "Why You Wanna Hurt Me So Bad?" is never answered in his song - but that doesn't minimize the awesomeness of the track. Complete and unadulterated awesomeness beyond compare, I tell you. Really.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Mabs - your track in question here is by Honeymoon Suite - Canadian content hence all the blank stares over the last 4 pages or so. lolI remember their first album. Some great tracks on that one. Of course, my two favorite songs from that album bring up some interesting questions.

In "New Girl Now" he says "I've got a new girl now and she's a lot like you."

I'm guessing this must have been written after "Burning in Love" where he says "I'm still a lonely man burning in love." However, the track order makes no sense. First song he has a new girl, and then the second song he's already screwed that up.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Which is more impressive: the woman in Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven" who buys one, or the person in Rod Stewart's "Forever Young" who's told to build a stairway to heaven?

El Chuxter
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Stairways to heaven are expensive. Rod's friend couldn't afford one. I think it's a dude, since Rod says he can be a "prince or a vagabond." Girls normally aren't princes.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-26-2008, 07:27 PM
People these days are too lazy to take the stairs. That's why they're all on the Highway to Hell.

jjreason
03-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Did Aretha Franklin ever figure out who was zoomin' who (or, for that matter, exactly what zoomin' was)?

Mad Slanted Powers
03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Soul Coughing has a song called "How Many Cans?" It asks the question:

How many cans must I stack up
To wash you out from my mind,
Out of my consciousness?

However, the song also begins with some more cryptic questions:

Is you am a dog?
Is you got a dog?
Is you am a dog?
Hold closed the jaw.

Don't look to the songwriter, Mike Doughty, for answers. He had this to say about the lyrics:

"But where did the words come from? Couldn't say. They scare me."

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
What kind of confusion would result if The Replacements, Vanessa Carlton [sp?], Run DMC, Aerosmith, The Bangles, and Johnny Cash all discussed Bob Dylan's question about the number of walked miles required to become a man?

Mad Slanted Powers
03-27-2008, 08:56 PM
What kind of confusion would result if The Replacements, Vanessa Carlton [sp?], Run DMC, Aerosmith, The Bangles, and Johnny Cash all discussed Bob Dylan's question about the number of walked miles required to become a man?They'd all be engulfed in a burning ring of fire as they try to determine what year that Psychobilly Cadillac was in "One Piece at a Time".

Darth Jax
06-04-2008, 07:23 PM
If bad, bad leroy brown is so bad and even the baddest man in the whole dang town, why does he end up looking like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple pieces gone?

it seems to me, it's the jealous man that's the baddest man in town.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
If bad, bad leroy brown is so bad and even the baddest man in the whole dang town, why does he end up looking like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple pieces gone?

it seems to me, it's the jealous man that's the baddest man in town.
It was all hype. You also weren't supposed to mess around with Jim, but Slim took care of him.

El Chuxter
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
The jealous man wasn't from town. That's why he wasn't the baddest man in the whole damn town until he came to beat Leroy's punk arse.

The real question is why Jim Croce recorded two songs that are almost alike, but not really like anything else he did. Not that I'm complaining, but it seems weird.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2008, 09:15 PM
If Freddy Mercury wants it all, wants it all, he wants it all, and he wants it now, is he willing to pay the high faster shipping costs?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2008, 10:55 AM
In Patrick Swayze's "She's Like the Wind," it begs the question: does she destroy people's lives? Is here, no one sees her, then leaves? Dumps leves and trash in your pool? And that part that goes: "She's like the wind... just a fool..." sounds too negative to be a compliment.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Found a flaw in "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." They sing of all the things that would be unable to keep him from her, but what about a restraining order? A quarantine from SARS or bird flu? A no-fly zone in a war-torn region? Sad, that they didn't do their research... :pleased:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Found a flaw in "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." They sing of all the things that would be unable to keep him from her, but what about a restraining order? A quarantine from SARS or bird flu? A no-fly zone in a war-torn region? Sad, that they didn't do their research... :pleased:

Not to mention the bad grammar.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
In "Winter Wonderland," since Christmas songs are starting to hit the airwaves...

"Gone away is the bluebird,
Here to stay is a new bird..."

Is that the famous "blue bird of happiness?" If happiness has gone away, is that why there's so much holiday depression?

Mad Slanted Powers
11-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Don't you know about the bird? Well everybody knows that the bird is the word. So may the bird of paradise fly up your nose.

El Chuxter
11-25-2008, 09:26 PM
And if it's not the proverbial blue bird of happiness and is supposed to be a literal bluebird, what bird migrates into an area the bluebird migrated away from?

DarkArtist
11-26-2008, 09:31 AM
In "Winter Wonderland," since Christmas songs are starting to hit the airwaves...

"Gone away is the bluebird,
Here to stay is a new bird..."

Is that the famous "blue bird of happiness?" If happiness has gone away, is that why there's so much holiday depression?

i always took it as the blue bird is the old of the past and the new bird is the new prospects of the coming year.......but then again i have been to known to be crazy at times......:thumbsup::pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Unless we've all heard it wrong, and it's a "gnu-bird," a horrible hybrid of a large beast of burden and vulture, come to wreak havoc on the world! :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Found this. Quite sad... :cry:

"The Joke's On All of Us"

It turns out no one called Steve Miller anything, except Millbert Stephenopolis?

"No one ever bothered to check the sources, so I just went with it," says Steve Miller, founder of a band with his own name. Which, based on court records, is not even true; Steve Miller was born Millbert Edeocles Stephenopolis and lived a straight-laced life growing up in the suburbs to a loving, Eastern Orthodox household.

"I finally had to come clean. No one ever called me the joker, a space cowboy, Maurice; none of those. I've never smoked, toked, nor got any lovin' on the run. It feels so cleansing to admit all this," stated Stephenopolis.

Why would anyone admit to such things if they were untrue? "Well, I wanted to fit in, so I made up the whole 'Steve Miller' persona." How will this affect sales of CD sets or online downloads? "The songs are all a sham. I wouldn't be surprised if not a single album sells after this. If there's one thing I know, people only want honest people, down-to-earth that they can identify with. Especially in entertainment or the music business," admits Stephenopolis.

Will there be any more reunion tours? "Sure. Look for the Millbert Stephenopolis Band coming to a malt shop, county fair, or variety show near you! I just feel great about this."I can't believe it. :(

Darth Jax
02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
that might be the true history but 'abracadabra' and poof his history has been retconned.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Was that totally reliable source The Onion?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Was that totally reliable source The Onion?That's the question, isn't it? :rolleyes: But no, I haven't gone by that name in a long time; a long time. That source isn't a dead link yet. It's me! On this site! And you got's to know that SSG is, like, totally reliable and stuff...

Mad Slanted Powers
02-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I just remember thinking it was cool back when "Rock'n Me" was fairly new because it mentioned Tacoma, a city right here in my home state! That was long before Nirvana brought the spotlight up this way.

I recall several years ago that Steve Miller played a blues show here in Bellingham. Even though it was advertised at such, I heard that there were some a-holes in the audience that were wanting him play the hits.

Darth Jax
02-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Does some cuervo gold and some fine colombian really make tonight a wonderful thing?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-28-2009, 06:06 PM
In Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam," James says "I redefine anywhere..." What other definition can there be for it? It's pretty broad as is.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM
In Peter Cetera's Karate Kid Part II song, "The Glory of Love," he sings:

"...and we're both lyin' here;
there's so many things I want to say.
I will always love you,
I will never leave you alone."

He just admitted that he and she are lying, so all those things aren't true! Big deal.

El Chuxter
08-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Would he lie to you, and that's the truth?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2009, 11:36 PM
In Prince's "U Got the Look," he mentions "the World Series of Love." Did the Boys rest their starters once they'd clinched the playoffs? Who did Girls hold off to make it to the Fall Classic? Is it a best-of-seven to win? Who had home field advantage: Boys or Girls?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Is Ronnie James Dio related to Ray and Stu Dio?

JimJamBonds
10-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Is Ronnie James Dio related to Ray and Stu Dio?

And how can there be a rainbow in the dark?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-08-2009, 11:50 PM
And how can there be a rainbow in the dark?
Only the man on the silver mountain knows.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Only the man on the silver mountain knows.Any relation to the Man in the Box, living in [his]... pit?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Any relation to the Man in the Box, living in [his]... pit?

No, the Man in the Box is the Television Man.

JimJamBonds
10-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Is the Television Man related to Spoon Man?

El Chuxter
08-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Who IS holding Donna now?

(And does Ritchie Valens know?)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Who IS holding Donna now?Is it Johnny 5? :nodisassemble:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Who IS holding Donna now?

(And does Ritchie Valens know?)When he finds out, he'll be asking, "Is She Really Going Out With Him?"