PDA

View Full Version : Start My Collection

Boba Fett
04-18-2005, 03:48 PM
But I have no idea where to start. I do know that I want to start with the "Evil Empire" army. But there isn't one general toy line to start with or is there? Each moive has it's own set of toys and that make's it difficult. Basically I'm looking for help in collecting Star Wars Figures. Sorry if this post doesn't make any sense, long day at work.

Dark Marble
04-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the boards!!

It really depends on what you are looking for. The new line of toys started in 1995 with Power of the Force 2 figures, moved into Episode I figures which became Power of the Jedi figures that moved into Saga figures which became the Original Trilogy Collection, and finally is the Revenge of the Sith collection not to mention quick stops into Shadows of the Empire and Clone Wars...phew!

Episode I and Sith figures focuses on their movies so you will get figures from those movies. Power of the Force 2 and the Original Trilogy collection focused on the original movies, and Saga and Power of the Jedi focused on all the released movies. Each line has their high points and low points. Power of the Force 2 is the oldest so many of the figures sculpts are outdated. In my opinion the end of Power of the Force 2 and Power of the Jedi had some of the best figures. Saga and Original Trilogy are the most recent so many of the sculpts are very nice.

Long story short (too late) look at the figure archives here at Sir Steves Guide or on-line catalogs like Brian's Toys. You will start to get a good look at what is out there and maybe where you want to start and how much you want to spend!

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Hey, just to let you know, I am selling my entire collection of POTF2 (up to but not including Episode 1). I am wanting to get rid of it all and I am not wanting to make a profit on it. I am just not wanting to lose much compared to what I paid for it (retail). Let me know if you are interested.

WesleySr
04-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey DM, nice informative post. But you did forget the Expanded Universe line. :D

beckmen
04-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Well, you need to decide what era to start out with. OT (ANH/ESB/ROTJ) or PT (TPM/AOTC/ROTS). Then just build from there. Right now ROTS toys are easyist to find...

Ji'dai
04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Once you determine what characters/figures you want it's basically going to take some research on your part determine if the character/figure has been made, what line it was a part of, and when it was released.

For example, Luke and Han have been made and remade (with new sculpts/features) several times, as has Vader, the Stormtrooper, and many others. A new version of a central character may appear in just about every new line. Some versions are better than previous ones, some are not. Fortunately there are plenty of collecting sites out there with databases filled with figure photos and details.

In the modern era (1995-present) there have been ten different 3-3/4" figure lines:

Power of the Force (toy line based on the classic trilogy)
Shadows of the Empire (based on novel, video game, and comic)
Expanded Universe (based on various novels and comics)
Episode I (based on The Phantom Menace)
Power of the Jedi (based on Episodes I, IV, V, VI)
SAGA (based on Episodes I, II, IV, V, VI)
Clone Wars (based on books, comics, and cartoon)
Original Trilogy Collection (based on Original Trilogy)
post-Original Trilogy Collection/Transistional (based on Episodes I, II, IV, V, VI)
Revenge of the Sith (based on Episode III)

darko666
04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
well, if your looking to start an Evil Empire collection, i suggest you get these figures first to at least get you started:

POTF2:
Wave 1

Darth Vader
Stormtrooper

Wave 2
Boba Fett(not considered part of the empire, but cool anyway)

Wave 3
Tie Fighter Pilot

Wave 5
Tatooine Stormtrooper (Sandtrooper)
Death Star Gunner

Wave 7
Bossk(same as Fett, but def. a needed figure)
AT-ST Driver

Wave 8
Emperor Palpatine

Wave 9
Grand Moff Tarkin
Dengar
4-LOM

Wave 10
Emperor's Royal Guard
Snowtrooper

Wave 15
Darth Vader (w/ removable helmet)
Captain Piett
Zuckuss

Wave 19
Death Star Trooper

Wave 21
Imperial Sentinel (Expanded Universe)
Grand Admiral Thrawn (Expanded Universe)

Wave 22
Clone Emperor

Wave 23
Death Star Droid
AT-AT Driver

Wave 24
Darktrooper (Expanded Universe)
Spacetrooper (Expanded Universe)

Wave 25
Emperor Palpatine
Darth Vader

Wave 28
Darth Vader (w/ interrogation droid)
Stormtrooper (w/ blast mark)

Wave 29
Admiral Motti

POTJ

Collection 1
Darth Maul (Final Duel)
Darth Maul (Sith Apprentice)
Darth Vader (Dagobah)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Sandtrooper (Tatooine Patrol)
Scout Trooper (Imperial Patrol) (Clean version)
Scout Trooper (Imperial Patrol) (Dirty version)

Collection 2
IG-88 (Bounty Hunter)
Imperial Officer

Saga Collection 2003

Darth Vader (Throne Room Duel)
Snowtrooper (The Battle of Hoth)
Darth Maul (Theed Hangar Duel)
Emperor (Throne Room)
Darth Vader (Death Star Clash)
McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper (FC #4)
Imperial Dignitary Janus Greejatus (Death Star Procession)
Imperial Dignitary Klen Blista-Vanee(Death Star Procession)

Saga Collection 2004

Wave 4 - Battle of Yavin
TIE Fighter Pilot (Battle of Yavin)

Wave 5 - Star Destroyer
Admiral Ozzel (Executor Assault)
Bossk (Executor Meeting)
Dengar (Executor Meeting)

these are the figures that are great for starting the Evil Empire you want. the clone troopers are optional, seeing as they are the past stormtroopers. so its up to you if you want to collect them to along with Darth Sidous and the Senator Palpatine figures. good luck and welcome to the boards.

jwmc1971
04-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Hehe , way to market wesley ...wish it was payday , lol. Hello boba .... you didnt say if you wanted to display them or keep 'em on cards..look on the collections here for ex.'s of both...some peep's went all out on open displays..real quality stuff. I have my stuff on here and its 99% un-opened . You can save alot if you want to buy open stuff. Whole collections for under 500$ on ebay .Carded's gonna cost you , even if you start with ROTS . Good luck ...I wouldnt want to be in your shoes with startin' from scratch and all the lines out there!!:crazed:

Boba Fett
04-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Hehe , way to market wesley ...wish it was payday , lol. Hello boba .... you didnt say if you wanted to display them or keep 'em on cards..look on the collections here for ex.'s of both...some peep's went all out on open displays..real quality stuff. I have my stuff on here and its 99% un-opened . You can save alot if you want to buy open stuff. Whole collections for under 500$ on ebay .Carded's gonna cost you , even if you start with ROTS . Good luck ...I wouldnt want to be in your shoes with startin' from scratch and all the lines out there!!:crazed:Yeah I know it's hard but I'm going with what I can find now. Which is the ROTS and I know it's deviating from my orginal plan.

JON9000
04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
If you are an opener, I would suggest getting the best version of every figure. I would begin by purchasing a "lot" of modern figures on ebay. You can usually get someone's entire collection by paying only a fraction of what they paid for it originally.

megaprime33
04-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Well if you're going for the evil empire and you're starting with ROTS, then I would definately grab all of the grievous's that you can find. Basically, just collect all of the bad guys from the line you'd have a decent collection. But again I'd start with grievous, then get a vader, dooku, and the emperor. And you can always nab tons of clones because, lets face it, they're really the bad guys too.

Darth Sidious
04-18-2005, 07:38 PM
I started collecting back in '95 or '96, and this is the only piece of advice I can give you: if you like the figure, vehicle, whatever, just get it. There aren't any set rules for collecting. I started my collection with the POTF2 Jedi Luke and Vader, because I just liked the figures. If you decide you like a figure of a main character like Vader, buy it. If you decide you like a figure of the sixth Jedi to the left in the 81st frame of the Jedi Charge in Attack of the Clones, buy it. It all depends on what you like.

Rocketboy
04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
I say start by buying the figures that appeal to you most (unless you want to get them all) and start with what is out there on the shelves and slowly start picking up older items (whichever way you choose to do that).

Just make sure you have fun doing it.

Darth Sidious
04-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Exactly, THAT'S what I was trying to say. Truly all that's important in Star Wars collecting. :)

megaprime33
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
I say start by buying the figures that appeal to you most (unless you want to get them all) and start with what is out there on the shelves and slowly start picking up older items (whichever way you choose to do that).

Ok, scratch what I said, that's much better. :D Definately buy what you wanna buy, go to the store now, see something from the ROTS that you really like, and get it!

Boba Fett
04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
This what I think I'll get first, but not in this order:

1. Clone Trooper (don't know how many as of yet.)
2. General Grievous
3. Droids (don't know how many as of yet.)
4. Vader

Let me know if I missed any one. Think I did...GI Joe was a little easier ;)

Ji'dai
04-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Which Clone Trooper are you gonna start with? There are several different ones out right now. The #6 Clone Trooper is probably easiest to find though, but a super-articulated one (#41) should be hitting stores in May.

eshulmire
04-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Well i am a little crazy with the army building.
i have 100 storm troopers the ones with the blast mark
i have 5 atat's
5 scout walkers
20 imperial piloits the new ones
15 royal guards
25 gungans
40 rebel soldiers
35 hoth relbel soliders
15 tie fighters
10 xwing fighters the toys r us exclusives
12 y wings
10 a wings
15 jedi starfighters both colors
1 anikin star fighter
70 battle droids both red and light tan
20 arc troopers blue
4 arc troopers red
65 clone troopers
4 yelow clone troopers
20 red clone troopers
10 blue clone troopers
6 trade federation tanks
10 spider droids
15 super drioids
6 genoson battle arenas looks cool when you put them together
30 genosian warriors
10 delux genosian warriors
4 genosian fighters
6 gunships 3 red 3 comand
20 republic piliots :crazed:
3 b wing fighters
and still growing i got mad at all the exclusives and wanted to burn my collection but my wife reminded me of the financil stupidity that would be. i like collecting its my hobie and i say get what you want and enjoy. as you see i got the starwars collecting bug real bad. :D

WesleySr
04-19-2005, 02:27 AM
i have 5 atat's
5 scout walkers
15 royal guards
25 gungans
40 rebel soldiers
35 hoth relbel soliders
15 tie fighters
12 y wings
10 a wings
1 anikin star fighter
20 arc troopers blue
4 arc troopers red
65 clone troopers
4 yelow clone troopers
20 red clone troopers
10 blue clone troopers
6 trade federation tanks
10 spider droids
15 super drioids
30 genosian warriors
4 genosian fighters
3 b wing fighters
and still growing i got mad at all the exclusives and wanted to burn my collection but my wife reminded me of the financil stupidity that would be. i like collecting its my hobie and i say get what you want and enjoy. as you see i got the starwars collecting bug real bad. :D

One word: DAMN!!! :eek:

Darth Sidious
04-19-2005, 06:52 AM
i have 5 atat's
5 scout walkers
15 royal guards
25 gungans
40 rebel soldiers
35 hoth relbel soliders
15 tie fighters
12 y wings
10 a wings
1 anikin star fighter
20 arc troopers blue
4 arc troopers red
65 clone troopers
4 yelow clone troopers
20 red clone troopers
10 blue clone troopers
6 trade federation tanks
10 spider droids
15 super drioids
30 genosian warriors
4 genosian fighters
3 b wing fighters

Where are those Droidekas?!? :D :crazed:

megaprime33
04-19-2005, 07:39 AM
i have 5 atat's
5 scout walkers
15 royal guards
25 gungans
40 rebel soldiers
35 hoth relbel soliders
15 tie fighters
12 y wings
10 a wings
1 anikin star fighter
20 arc troopers blue
4 arc troopers red
65 clone troopers
4 yelow clone troopers
20 red clone troopers
10 blue clone troopers
6 trade federation tanks
10 spider droids
15 super drioids
30 genosian warriors
4 genosian fighters
3 b wing fighters
Holy schnikies that is one hell of an army!

Kidhuman
04-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Moved this to SW other because it is not about ROTS or any line in particular.