PDA

View Full Version : Artoo?

Rocketboy
04-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Artoo or his stunt double?

This pic has always bugged me.
Anybody know why Artoo doesn't have any blue on his torso?

Ji'dai
04-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Hmm, I found a pic of that same R2 in a book I have that was published in 1977. It doesn't have any info on why the torso isn't painted though.

I know there were several R2 units built for the films. Some were fully robotic and then there were ones requiring an operator - Kenny Baker. I would say this R2 is just an unfinished one used as a stand-in or back up.

The people who published this photo either didn't realize the R2 wasn't fully painted and movie-accurate or didn't care.

Pendo
04-19-2005, 05:26 AM
I've seen that picture a few times in various places, and not once have I noticed it was incomplete :crazed:.

PENDO!

bobafrett
04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Dang, and I always liked that photo, yet never noticed the lack of blue. I just looked at my "The Story of Star Wars" LP cover, and it has the same picture, but 3PO in a slightly different pose. Amatuers!

CaptainSolo1138
04-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe Artoo is normally in a sad and morose mood but for this one picture he was having a good day and wasn't so "blue".

At least I thought it was funny. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2005, 01:22 PM
That R2 bugs me, and they still use that photo to this day! Well apparently not many people cared that he's incomplete. :stupid:

JediTricks
04-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I had never noticed it before either, but it appears either someone did a retouching job for no logical reason whiting out the blue body elements; or more likely the blue elements such as the grasper arms, area around the central vents, and possibly 2 white elements in the long doors on either side, have tape covering them for some reason, the upper grasper arm even has some of it coming up it looks like.

BTW, you can tell this is a remote control version of R2 for ANH because it's using brackets between the body and the outer legs to hold the droid in 3-wheeled mode, this may be the R2-D2 that Anthony Daniels kicked in a moment of brilliant improv when it wouldn't roll away.

Rocketboy
04-19-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't blame Anthony Daniels - I'd kick this imposter Artoo too!