PDA

View Full Version : General Grievous

Blackened88
04-19-2005, 10:16 PM
I need help choosing a Grievous. I like alot of articulation and no action features what is the best Grievous to buy, or should I wait for an upcoming Grievous?

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I have 3 of the Grievous figs so far, preview, #9, and deluxe, and each one has elements the others lack. Here are the positive attributes:

Preview has rotating forearms, is the only one with an articulated waist, and has good paint.
#9 has pretty good paint, 4 unique lightsaber hilts, a fairly neutral pose, hinged knees, and ball-jointed shoulders with each arm able to independently "flap" on the joint.
Deluxe has 4 unique saber hilts, a fairly neutral pose, hinged knees, hinged elbows, a cape which doesn't interfere with standing as bad as Preview's does, and the rear arms can "flap" at the universal shoulders.
Here are the negative attributes (I feel all 3 have a somewhat soft sculpt, so I'll just mention that here):

Preview is too preposed, has only 1 lightsaber, his cape gets in the way of standing, and his rubbery upper torso is starting to crack the paint when moving the head.
#9 has the softest sculpt of the 3, no cape, no elbow articulation, and isn't the easiest figure to stand.
Deluxe has a pretty oddball paint job that's dark and battle damaged with a heavy paint-wash so it's hard to find uniform apps, has a gimmick in the front arms which restricts them to either fully down/forward or totally out to the sides, he has NO PEGHOLES so he cannot use a stand the way the others can, his hinged elbows and knees are slightly-ugly work, and of course he's ten bucks instead of five.
Being an articulation fan, I'd probably go with the #9 version if I were judging solely on that aspect since he has the most range AND can use a figure stand, but for general overall purposes I'd go with the Deluxe because it delivers a little better in the sculpt, the elbows - while not the best-looking design - are pretty darn nifty to have, and it's just a little more fun all around.

beckmen
04-20-2005, 02:20 AM
My vote goes to the Sneak Preview figure. I think his sculpt/paint is better than #9, and he doesn't look "crazy" like the #9 does. The four-arm thing doesn't do it for me, and it's hard to make the fig look right and not silly (I have his rear arms kind of tucked behind him). Over-all, the Preview fig thus far is by far my favorite version of the character.

There is another version coming out with a spoilery action feature, but based on the pics it looks pretty cool...

MaquisWarrior
04-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Which Roach Boy to buy huh? I liked the CW one because it was well made, better than Durge or Dorku. The sneak preview one is the one that made me call him Roach Boy in the first place even though he looks like Bugs Bunny wearing the cow skull in the "Wasscally Wabbit" (1938) cartoon where the fat Elmer Fudd is digging for gold.

megaprime33
04-20-2005, 08:04 AM
I only have 3, unleashed, #9, and preview. I havent opened preview yet so that opinion is out and you want articulation so unleashed is out. My vote is go with #9. :D

Blackened88
04-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Tough decision, still unsure, meditate on this I will.

Kidhuman
04-20-2005, 10:16 AM
I have 3 of the Grievous figs so far, preview, #9, and deluxe, and each one has elements the others lack. Here are the positive attributes:

Preview has rotating forearms, is the only one with an articulated waist, and has good paint.
#9 has pretty good paint, 4 unique lightsaber hilts, a fairly neutral pose, hinged knees, and ball-jointed shoulders with each arm able to independently "flap" on the joint.
Deluxe has 4 unique saber hilts, a fairly neutral pose, hinged knees, hinged elbows, a cape which doesn't interfere with standing as bad as Preview's does, and the rear arms can "flap" at the universal shoulders.
Here are the negative attributes (I feel all 3 have a somewhat soft sculpt, so I'll just mention that here):

Preview is too preposed, has only 1 lightsaber, his cape gets in the way of standing, and his rubbery upper torso is starting to crack the paint when moving the head.
#9 has the softest sculpt of the 3, no cape, no elbow articulation, and isn't the easiest figure to stand.
Deluxe has a pretty oddball paint job that's dark and battle damaged with a heavy paint-wash so it's hard to find uniform apps, has a gimmick in the front arms which restricts them to either fully down/forward or totally out to the sides, he has NO PEGHOLES so he cannot use a stand the way the others can, his hinged elbows and knees are slightly-ugly work, and of course he's ten bucks instead of five.
Being an articulation fan, I'd probably go with the #9 version if I were judging solely on that aspect since he has the most range AND can use a figure stand, but for general overall purposes I'd go with the Deluxe because it delivers a little better in the sculpt, the elbows - while not the best-looking design - are pretty darn nifty to have, and it's just a little more fun all around.

JT, Preiview Grievous can use a stand. SIthLord posted here about it....

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=371606&postcount=28

1st Prime
04-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Hmmm i returned the #9 figure & picked up the deluxe version just for the articulation. Crap don't know which one now. :confused:

ronhudy
04-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I like the Sneak Preview the best so far...

My son has all the ones that came out so far, but hasn't opened the Exploding Body one yet, so I don't know about that one. But the Sneak Preview has pretty good articulation and the best paint job, in my opinion. My vote for the lamest one goes to the Wheel Bike Grievous...too pale and not as much detail.

JetsAndHeels
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
I have 2 of the basic 3-3/4" Grevious Figures, Sneak Preview and #9.
Just like Jedi Tricks mentioned, they each have their own strong and weak points. For me personally, I like both the preview and #9. The preview figure is more of a neutral pose, no real action features but good to display (if you can get it to stand) or to use in a battle scene, etc.
The #9 is good for its action feature (I like how the 4 arms move) and the multiple lightsabers. You can pose this figure a little more than the sneak preview one, but overall I think its best feature is 4 arm pose and the play value it has.

megaprime33
04-20-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm kinda puzzled as to why some people are using as an excuse to not likeing the preview grievous, the fact that he only has one saber? Just do what I do and use an extra lightsaber accessory from another SW toy. Mine is using POTF2 kenobi's saber.

beckmen
04-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Yeah, and SP Grievous stands MUCH easier than #9, stand or no stand.

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 11:20 PM
JT, Preiview Grievous can use a stand. SIthLord posted here about it....I didn't say Preview couldn't use a stand, I said Deluxe couldn't. I said Preview couldn't stand very well because of his cape, which is a different issue, but perhaps that's where you got confused.

The preview figure is more of a neutral pose I disagree, the preview figure has a wide, asymmetrical stance and somewhat posed arms (the posed wrists especially bother me).

I'm going to add a few more comments about these figs... One thing I just noticed about Preview vs #9 vs Deluxe is that #9 and Deluxe are significantly taller than Preview, I hadn't put them together before now, but Preview was already taller than most human figures so I don't know what to think. Also, deluxe has a paint mistake, his thighs aren't painted, so they're the wrong color, dark metallic gray instead of bone white. Also, #9's head sculpt doesn't seem quite as accurate as Deluxe's and Preview's, it's a slight change in the length of the face I think.

I now think Deluxe has the best articulation, on mine the right shoulder sticks a little so there's an actual pose option from that and if I snugged a small clear-band into the joint I am fairly sure it'd create enough friction for that to become permanent; even though the back arms don't "flap" at all, the elbow articulation on all 4 arms goes a long way for making cool poses, I like the left arm out as far as it'll go and the elbow bent over the head. The elbows are also useful for getting the arms to not look like 2 sets of arms, it's not perfect but it's a lot better than #9's and Preview doesn't even have 2 sets of arms. For articulation fans, #9 is good and has a better deco but Deluxe has more important articulation with those elbows and is just more fun.

beckmen
04-21-2005, 04:36 PM
#9 has no articulation on the arms/hands at all, just the shoulders. He also doesn't have waist articulation. The only POA that he has that bewats out the Preview fig is the ball-jointed head, and I don't really care about that anyway. Preview is better than 9!

Haha, we're really helping this guy out!

JetsAndHeels
04-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Just get them all and find out which one you like best!! I think they all have redeeming features. You can then decide which you like for yourself more.
:D

1st Prime
04-22-2005, 09:44 AM
i just saw a better pic of the sneak preview grevious. it does look great. i will definetly pick it up but now i'm stuck between #9 & the deluxe. which one? sorry to be a pain. :ermm:

beckmen
04-22-2005, 05:26 PM
From what I've heard the Deluxe Grievous is better than the #9 one hands-down, other than the price differance.

Kidhuman
04-22-2005, 05:53 PM
I didn't say Preview couldn't use a stand, I said Deluxe couldn't. I said Preview couldn't stand very well because of his cape, which is a different issue, but perhaps that's where you got confused.

That and those dang naps....

JediTricks
04-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Deluxe's silver thighs may actually be the correct color, the 12" is like that as is Xploding #36 (both of those have a single band of white in the middle though). Deluxe and #9's height seem to be the ones that are correct, Preview is too short.

BTW, #36 has only 5 POA, but he has those removable limbs and head. I just posted about it here: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=391637#post391637
He's not an articulation-fan's choice, but he is a fun figure.

beckmen
04-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Yeah, 36 is great figure, better than #9 IMO. I wouldn't choose him if I was looking for only one figure, though.

Oh, yeah...be warned on the Preview figure...don't remove his lightsaber. The rubber band that holds it onto his hand HAS to stay on, otherwise I really doubt the saber will stay without falling out of his hand. Much like Dooku. If you do remove the band, hot glue can fix the problem, though. It's a minor gripe.

kool-aid killer
04-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Personally, i like Grievous #36, he looks slick with his cape draped around him. Despite his lack of articulation i think he is probably my favorite of the three i have. Number 9 isnt too bad either.