PDA

View Full Version : C-3PO: human...CYBORG relations???

JediTricks
04-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Don't get all dirty-minded, you little monkeys know who you are. But when 3PO introduces himself as "I am See-threepio, human-cyborg relations", what the hell is he talking about? Up until recently, I took this as 3PO being a master diplomat to bridge the gap between humanoids and droids, which I believe is what the line actually refers to, however "droid" and "cyborg" are not synonymous:

a droid is a fully mechanical automoton, a machine, a thinking robot such as R2-D2.
a cyborg is a cybernetic organisim, a mixture of living being and machine such as Lobot.
So is this another case of Lucas simply using a sciencey term incorrectly? That's my guess.

Kidhuman
04-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Maybe between films he was a date co-ordinator.

stillakid
04-19-2005, 11:59 PM
a cyborg is a cybernetic organisim, a mixture of living being and machine such as Lobot.

Or..

such as Vader
or
such as Grievous
or
such as Luke

No?

As some of you know, Lucas lifted generously from the Sci Fi classic series, DUNE. In DUNE, the Butlerian Jihad was a war waged against the "thinking machines" after a 1000 years of oppressive rule by Omnious. While Lucas's universe is populated by machines of all types as well as self-aware intelligent machines, it is possible that Lucas lifted a partial element in this case from DUNE by suggesting that civilization had a bias against machines. This is evidenced by the cantina scene in which, ironically, C3PO is kicked out because of such bias.

JON9000
04-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Maybe he could stop the Terminator from killing Sarah Conner. I've thought about this line also, but I never really worried about it. I was always more concerned whether or not Droids were slaves.
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=18952&highlight=slavery

Ji'dai
04-20-2005, 01:59 PM
It's a glitch in Anakin's programming. Still, pretty impressive robot for a nine year old.

I always thought the word "droid" is an abbreviation of the term "android," which is a automaton made to look like a human being. So droids like C-3PO that have humanoid appearances and behavioral and emotional empathy programming, might be loosely considered cyborgs even though they may not contain actual living biological tissue.

El Chuxter
04-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I believe droid is short for android, as it's written with an apostrophe before the first D in the novelization for ANH (as in 'droid).

Maybe in the SW galaxy cyborg has become a slang for any intelligent robot, in addition to being properly used to refer to part robotic and organic. Wait, that's not cyborg, it's Psychotron!! :eek:

mabudonicus
04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
that's not cyborg, it's Psychotron!!
Damn Chux, I read that and it took a few seconds to hit me.. easily one of their funnier (in a metal over-the-top kinda way) tunes, lyrically (right up there with
"highspeed dirt" :beard: )

But as to this whole "human-cyborg relations" debate- I agree with 'Chux as well, I think "cybernetic organism" could almost imply a sort of robotic "lifeform" without actually litreally being a cross between organic and technological, maybe, you know, a good "fake" of a "real" "organism" (holy parentheses!!! ), if not in fact then at least in GL's mind.....

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Or..

such as Vader
or
such as Grievous
or
such as Luke

No?Vader and Grievous yes, but Luke no, it's only a bionic implant at that point, it's not a merging of man and machine so much as a supplimental tool to replace a missing limb. There are some definitions of "cyborg" that might allow it, but I don't think the mainstream acceptance of the term would, the machine part of the being has to be significant in order for it to be a cyborg.

I always thought the word "droid" is an abbreviation of the term "android," which is a automaton made to look like a human being. So droids like C-3PO that have humanoid appearances and behavioral and emotional empathy programming, might be loosely considered cyborgs even though they may not contain actual living biological tissue. Well, that is where the word "droid" came from, but it's not a particularly apt usage on Lucas' part what with R2-D2 being a droid and not being very humanoid at all. ("Android" is also a medical term that has nothing to do with robotics whatsoever.) A cyborg must have a significant organic component to be a "cyborg", their electronic "souls" - while I believe are portrayed as fully developed and aware, therefore "alive" - are still not organic, so I think it'd be too much of a stretch.

I believe droid is short for android, as it's written with an apostrophe before the first D in the novelization for ANH (as in 'droid). "Droid" is now a registered trademark of Lucasfilm, ltd.: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=droid

Maybe in the SW galaxy cyborg has become a slang for any intelligent robot, in addition to being properly used to refer to part robotic and organic. Maybe, but 3PO generally isn't given to using slang terms and seems to be attempting to make a precise explanation of his role with this specific greeting.

I think "cybernetic organism" could almost imply a sort of robotic "lifeform" without actually litreally being a cross between organic and technological I suppose I misspoke earlier, "cybernetic organism" makes it sound like the first word is an adjective that is defining the second word, when in fact that's not the case. Cyborg is the merging of cybernetic and organic components, a biological being that has been augmented with mechanical or electronic elements.

Ji'dai
04-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, this is a real pickle. So based on this flippant comment I made -

It's a glitch in Anakin's programming. Still, pretty impressive robot for a nine year old.
- I think Lucas obviously had the entire saga mapped out in his mind when he wrote 3PO's "human-cyborg relations" introduction. Lucas has always known that Anakin was 3PO's maker, and during 3PO's construction young Anakin must have inadvertantly added this introduction comment without being aware that he was doing so. So in a clever use of foreshadowing, Lucas has alluded to Anakin's eventual evolution to cyborg. The robot maker becomes a robot himself. Sure.

Exhaust Port
04-20-2005, 10:20 PM
I always took it to mean that C3PO dealt with Humans and Cyborgs, not that he was the mediator between Humans and Cyborgs. C3PO was the moderator between human/cyborgs and machines because the average human/cyborg can't interact with robots/machines especially with all the different languages they think. So the SW universe a human/cyborg would travel with a droid such as C3PO to deal with the thousands of languages one would come across in a given day/week/year.

JediTricks
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Ok, but how many cyborgs are shown in the SW universe? 2 now, not exactly a large number of people to mention. 3PO never mentions Hutts or Wookiees or a thousand other races who are far more in number than cyborgs. And if he didn't mean "human to cyborg relations", why not just say "diplomatic relations"?

Exhaust Port
04-21-2005, 08:38 AM
There's a good chance that there are a lot of cyborgs but we just can't tell. Not all cyborgs are going to either have a computer bolted to their head or walk around sealed in a 7' black suit.

Perhaps the other droids like C3PO would be programmed differently, "Wookie-Hutt relations". C3PO was made by a human so it would make sense that his primary mission would be to serve similar creatures. I guess if Chewie made a droid it would be/act different.

Kidhuman
04-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Maybe, it meant since he is fluent 6 million forms of communication, he can be some kind of mediator between all human races and cyborg races. While he does speak Ekow, Hutt, and what ever else, those might be his primary functions, similar to a French major who minors in Italian.